Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

buchansleftleg

I was watching a programme last night with Susan Calman about cruising in Antarctica (not proud of that but there was nothing else on!) and she went on a little sub. It showed what a real submersible SHOULD look like.

I was struck by how ridiculously bare Oceangate's Titan interior was at the time, with little or no secondary systems. - Compare that with the safety video from these guys, who admittedly don't go as deep but the focus on safety is way more apparent.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I was watching a programme last night with Susan Calman about cruising in Antarctica (not proud of that but there was nothing else on!) and she went on a little sub. It showed what a real submersible SHOULD look like.

I was struck by how ridiculously bare Oceangate's Titan interior was at the time, with little or no secondary systems. - Compare that with the safety video from these guys, who admittedly don't go as deep but the focus on safety is way more apparent.
True, though "don't go as deep" is a bit of an understatement. The difference is more than an order of magnitude. A better comparison is the Deepsea Challenger, which maybe does even more to highlight just how poorly thought out the Titan was.

Bert_

Paying half a million for this 'experience'. feck me.
What an experience though. Spending hours in a tin can sinking to the bottom of the ocean so you can look at some rusted metal through a peephole.

The company that makes their subs also holds the record for the deepest crewed dive and makes the first fully certified sub for all ocean depths. Bit different to the made in a shed thing they went looking for the Titanic in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jack will be one of the pairs of shoes on the seabed because his skellington will have dissolved below the carbon compensation depth
No but I only saw him shouting to Rose the other day. He might still be out there. Or maybe there’s an old couple waiting in a cabin in a giant air bubble, or maybe the mermaids have saved some and they are waiting for extraction. We will never know unless we go down again in our new revamped model.

new model features:
2 stainless steel baths welded together
1 person trip meaning more time for you to view
Handy breathing filter system utilising the plug holes.
Sub will be remotely controlled needing no captain
All for the cheap price of €250,000

let’s go glub glub glub in our tub tub tub!