Title Race 22/23

frostbite

Confidence is important in football. Arsenal is playing us next, and then City, if they lose both they may collapse.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The problem with City is this is their current league form

Brentford (H) L
Leeds (A) W
Everton (H) D
Chelsea (A) W
Man Utd (A) L

2 wins in 5, not Man City like at all

And that's not counting their recent cup defeat as well

Irwin99

We'd have to have huge luck with the squad and with virtually every player playing really well and being in great form to have a chance at the league. Win our next two games and it's not impossible but I'm a bit pessimistic about the squad depth and fixture congestion

It's testament to the insane job EtH has done in 6 months that we're even talking about this.

charlenefan

Conte's just said we're not in the race

Close thread

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Even if Arsenal loose 2 games, other teams will definetly never win every games.

before Arsenal plays again, City plays 2 times. They can reduce the gap to only 2 points…

On Paper City only have two difficult away games left: Spurs and Arsenal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I guess we have to do it all ourselves
Even if we do them in again we’re 6 points behind with an abysmal GD. These feckers just won’t miss at the moment

arthurka

Arsenal are playing some really decent stuff. Will be a nice game next weekend.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
There’s a feck ton of games to be played in a short period of time. Injuries and squad depth will play a big part. All about not playing yourselves out of it ala Chelsea and Liverpool at this stage - be some very surprising results latter part of the season I think. If we can get 4 points minimum next two games we’re in it.

redsunited

I wouldnt discount city going on a run. Any points loss for City, not only Arsenal are most welcome. Injuries to key players will decide between the three, when the european mid week games starts. During Ole season when we finished second, this time of the year we bungled and city started the winning streaks. Hence winning against teams like Palace is mandatory.
I am even okay with a draw and 9 points off, losing to Arsenal and 12 points off would put United off the title bid.

Last edited:

frostbite

Even if we do them in again we’re 6 points behind with an abysmal GD. These feckers just won’t miss at the moment
They visit City next. Two losses will destroy their confidence and we can be only 3 points behind them. It is still possible.

Zen

Honestly, if you take away the name value of Arsenal (for whatever it means now anyway), this is basically a Leicester City level of shocks this season. Leicester City didn't have anywhere close to this level of quality opposition to contend with as Arsenal do now, but both have upset all the odds and just keep it going, deservedly, game after game. Fair play to them, it's only half way into the season but I don't think they drop this. They can ignore every single cup and just focus on the league which others can't do.
Even if it were Brighton, it still wouldn't come close to the Leicester run. I keep hearing this, but Leicester were favourites for relegation, Arsenal were fifth favourites for the title once Jesus was signed at 40 on the exchanges on the day before the season started. But yes, even at 40's, it's a wild upset for the league. That's almost never happened outside of Leicester in England.... though Deportivo and Atletico(66/1) have managed to be similarly massive odds winners in La Liga in the 2000's.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They visit City next. Two losses will destroy their confidence and we can be only 3 points behind them. It is still possible.
Completely forgot they haven’t played City yet, good point. Though with their form… :nervous:
EDIT: yeah, that’s the FA cup. They play Everton next. Very cushty.

CM

The City match is FA Cup, they don't play them in the league for a while yet.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hard to look beyond Arsenal now even with the two matches against City still to play largely because the latter can be got at. Arsenal also don't have to play much football beyond the premier league until March so if they lose to City in the Cup it may only benefit them.

redNATION

We lost an 8 point gap with 5 games left, we’re only just reaching half way and historically both us and city are stronger in second half of the season. I still think city will pull it together and go in a strong run including beating arse in both games they play.

charlenefan

We lost an 8 point gap with 5 games left, we’re only just reaching half way and historically both us and city are stronger in second half of the season. I still think city will pull it together and go in a strong run including beating arse in both games they play.
Fecking Fellaini and Wigan :mad:

RedDevilRoshi

It’s Arsenal’s title to lose - easy to say of course. Although after going on a long unbeaten run like this, I’m intrigued to see how they react when they do lose. Will they see it as a blip & quickly regain confidence or will the heads drop & nerves begin to kick in which allows one of us or City or even both to capitalise on it?

It’s going to be interesting to watch.

RyRy11

Not even considering title aspirations until Arsenal play City. We have such a congested fixture list compared to anyone else so I can see us slipping up at some point. No harm in that either seeing as we were struggling for top 4 until after the World Cup.

croadyman

Just said exactly same thing on an Arsenal supporters thread on another forum

Guy Incognito

Arsenal are setting the pace which is remarkable given the state of their team last season. To Arteta's credit he has built a balanced side and they create a lot of chances.

Their chances basically hinge on keeping that first XI fit, especially Partey. If City are going to win it, then squad depth and options at Pep's disposal will be a major factor.

I think too much is made of the head-to-heads against City/Newcastle/Arsenal/top six rivals. It just will come down to pure consistency. Much as City are capable of putting a run together, their performances haven't been good enough and there's nothing to suggest they can flick the switch. Plus will Pep focus on the CL with Haaland?

I think if United finish above City then ETH has worked miracles and done something LvG/Mourinho/Moyes/OGS couldn't. And since Pep has been there whichever team does that will find themselves champions.

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly, I can't stand them or especially their fans, but Arsenal are worthy leaders at the moment, and are looking very impressive.

Only half way, a few key injuries and they could fall apart, but we've seen the likes of Liverpool get lucky in that department, so it could easily happen to them too. Plus they have so many fewer games to play.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Only half way, a few key injuries and they could fall apart, but we've seen the likes of Liverpool get lucky in that department, so it could easily happen to them too. Plus they have so many fewer games to play.
That applies to pretty much every team, it certainly applies to United, I agree they are worthy leaders

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It can't be a Leicester level of shocks when Arsenal have won the league already. They've not won it in a long time but they're a huge club that has won the league (also unbeaten) already. Leceister winning the league and Arsenal winning it aren't the same in terms of shock value, only if you're probably 15 to 20 years old.
Comparatively! When Leicester won it, the competition was shit. Arsenal going from the last few years to this, competing with Klopp/Pep/Conte/Ten Hag and the Prem at the level it's at is the same shock factor and similar level of achievement

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Even if it were Brighton, it still wouldn't come close to the Leicester run. I keep hearing this, but Leicester were favourites for relegation, Arsenal were fifth favourites for the title once Jesus was signed at 40 on the exchanges on the day before the season started. But yes, even at 40's, it's a wild upset for the league. That's almost never happened outside of Leicester in England.... though Deportivo and Atletico(66/1) have managed to be similarly massive odds winners in La Liga in the 2000's.
Yeah, I don't get the comparisons to Leicester. Even though in this thread it was actually phrased as a compliment, which is nice to hear. But going from fifth to first isn't that crazy. Leicester's achievement is singular. Though I take the point about competition being a lot higher now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Show what in Europe? Other than Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, there isn't anyone they need to prove something against.
It is one thing to have complete focus on the league and succeed, and another to also succeed (or go far) in Europe while having great achievements in the league. It's been half a season.

Judas

Open to offers
Comparatively! When Leicester won it, the competition was shit. Arsenal going from the last few years to this, competing with Klopp/Pep/Conte/Ten Hag and the Prem at the level it's at is the same shock factor and similar level of achievement
Sort of. But it's similar that the timing could just be right for them. City in transition, Liverpool in the toilet, we're still a work in progress, Spurs are Spurs, Newcastle on the way but not there yet. Like Leicester, it might just fall for them.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Can I just remind everyone what a relief it is to be mildly in a title race and Liverpool aren't a potential winner.

I've no love for Arsenal but christ my blood pressure needed a year off.

humdinger

Arsenal have been amazingly consistent and will win the league but we’re also having a brilliant season and being in a title race is astonishing after the utter shit shows we’ve had in recent seasons.

keithsingleton

9 behind Arsenal. Is it on?

They lose 3 in a row (something they've done 4x in the last 4 seasons) it could really get spicy. They've got Spurs then us next.
Think we should be happy getting CL football and possibly the Micky Mouse cup. That would be good season for us. Media spouting United in the hunt for the league now is very far fetched. Personally I still think it’s city to lose but Arsenal just won’t go away will they. Can’t stand Arteta but can’t fault him for the turn around since last year.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
An FA Cup replay between City and Arsenal would be very welcome.

Redfrog

Maybe if Sancho comes back soon, Bruno starts scoring regularly again, and Weghorst hits the ground running. Otherwise all our hopes are pinned on Rashford, and I don't think his form is sustainable. It'd be a miracle if he even manages to stay injury free for the whole season. We also need to try and find room to rest Eriksen, Casemiro, and Bruno because they're all playing too much. City just have better depth and Arsenal have given themselves a great buffer. It's exciting to be in consideration though.
Why not ? I am optimistic, I think that it’s his level if he stays injury free. He is a complete player right now and I don’t think he will deep again. Maybe he won’t score a goal per game during the season but he can easily be 30 goals a season player. He is at the right age.

Skills

Snitch
Think we should be happy getting CL football and possibly the Micky Mouse cup. That would be good season for us. Media spouting United in the hunt for the league now is very far fetched. Personally I still think it’s city to lose but Arsenal just won’t go away will they. Can’t stand Arteta but can’t fault him for the turn around since last year.
Putting up a decent title fight should get you top 4. Shoot for the stars and that.

Plus it makes every game worth competing for.

RedorDead21

Confidence is important in football. Arsenal is playing us next, and then City, if they lose both they may collapse.
If we beat Palace that Arsenal game to me is that most important game for us since SAF retired. We win our next 2 and we are in the title race!

Redfrog

It's definitely Arsenal's to lose now. City haven't looked great this season, their loss against us is another blow, while we have improved obviously but I don't think we have enough in ourselves to actually challenge properly for title this season, took a lucky break to turn the game around yesterday.

December 2017, 3-1 with De Gea having probably a game of his life. Since then we've struggled at Emirates even against weaker Arsenal sides.
Yesterday wasn’t lucky. We were the better team. Yes the goal was controversial but valid : it’s the interpretation that matters. Otherwise, we had the better chances and we are deserving the win.