Title race/top 4 race

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe after 10 games would be smarter to start this thread but lets start now.
I think that we can have joined thread for this because United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool are levels above others and it would be a miracle that one of these 4 miss top 4. So main question is; who will win PL?

Chelsea is my favorite. 2 players on every position, excellent coach and the most important thing; they look great on the pitch.
Second and third place will go to Liverpool or City. City is City, especially when they buy Kane. Biggest plus for them is that they win easily against small teams. Liverpool looks little bit shaky in defence and tbh, i think that they lack depth in attack.
United will finish 4th. Our squad is as good as those 3 but i am afraid that too many away draws will kill our chance to win title. We still lack that killer instinct.

Who can surprise and steal one of top 4 spots? Spurs and Leicester maybe? I don't think so.

Edgardos84

Just discussed this with my friend today. Absolutely agree with you. Chelsea finishing 1st, unfortunatelly for us, with Lukaku scoring 20+ this season. The 2nd spot will go to City, Grealish to play important role there. Pool, if VVD stay fit to finish 3rd. We will have strong fight with Spurs and Foxes to finish 4th. Hopefully, Rafa not doing too much magic with Everton.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The title will be between City, Chelsea Liverpool. All three have good squads, prior experience of actually winning something and crucially, world class managers. You could argue that perhaps Liverpool don't have the same squad depth as the other two however.

I think it's quite obvious that United won't win the title. This is not a knee jerk from yesterday's game, but we saw the exact same problems we have seen from 2 years ago under Ole, we're simply incapable of controlling possession and when teams press us or sit back, we come up short. The EL final should've been the final nail in the coffin, I've never seen such a poor tactical showing. Anyway, there is no point crying over spilt milk, it is what it is. Let's hope we can provide at least some sort of challenge till Jan/Feb next year, a decent run in the CL and perhaps we can get one of the domestic cups.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Too early to make this thread or assess title prospects until at least 10 games in. Last year was an anomaly from City but for the most part, you're able to determine who has the mettle for a title challenge/top 4 finish 10 games in.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
And I'm surprised at how many people wrote off United's chances after the Soton game :lol:... A slow start is not that uncommon especially when bedding in new players

tomaldinho1

Way too early. Even as someone with very little confidence in Ole, there’s zero point having this discussion until the season starts to play out. Injuries are coming, AFCON is coming, transfers might still happen. Game week 10 at earliest unless one of the four just implodes.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Varane, Rashford, Sancho, Cavani all still to come into the starting team. Pogba is on fire. Bruno is Bruno. We’re going to be fine. Can’t tell anything after 2 games. Chelsea and Liverpool look strong, City less so but they have to play amongst themselves. We can still establish a buffer in the next 5 games. Don’t be so defeatist!

Wilt

Still think….

1 City ….Depth of squad, serial winning manager.

2 Chelsea ….Signing Lukaku could be a game changer, success driven manager.

3 Liverpool ….Good squad, peppered with excellent players, top manager.

4 United ….Strongest United squad seen in years, manager has yet to win anything of note.

Barring an unforeseen run of results, I just can’t see any other club breaking into the above top four.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Unfortunately all I can see for the title is Liverpool, they had an off season last year, they are now fit and ready. I think they'll do a 90+ points season again. Chelsea might contest them but they won't quite match them, City will be weaker purely because they've won it last year and will ease up. They'll focus more on the CL. We'd do well to finish 4th.

kerryman

Varane, Rashford, Sancho, Cavani all still to come into the starting team. Pogba is on fire. Bruno is Bruno. We’re going to be fine. Can’t tell anything after 2 games. Chelsea and Liverpool look strong, City less so but they have to play amongst themselves. We can still establish a buffer in the next 5 games. Don’t be so defeatist!
Think City and Chelsea will be quite a bit ahead with Utd and Liverpool competing for 3rd and 4th. (Especially if we play Martial up top ahead of Greenwood, like yesterday...and leave Sancho and Varane on the bench...play the best team possible, it's only the second game in to the season, they don't need to be rested)

RUCK4444

Without reading, let me guess, we’re out of the title race already, Lukaku is now R9 compared to when he was with us and Tuchel is the GOAT manager

About turn, roll eyes and leave.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
And I'm surprised at how many people wrote off United's chances after the Soton game :lol:... A slow start is not that uncommon especially when bedding in new players
I think its just a general lack of confidence in the manager

LoneStar

Judging by last season's first couple of games, City would be fighting for top 4.

I would wait for a couple more games at the very least to pass any judgement. Having said, yesterday's game was not reassuring to United fans. Our midfield is lacking (or maybe a setup issue).

Wilt

Without reading, let me guess, we’re out of the title race already, Lukaku is now R9 compared to when he was with us and Tuchel is the GOAT manager

About turn, roll eyes and leave.
Do you normally comment on threads ‘without reading’ ?
:wenger:

SATA

This fanbase. Won 5-1 last week and there were threads like 'do we sense shades of 2007/07'. Only draw a game yesterday and we are not in a title race anymore. Embarrassing kneejerks everywhere whenever we win and don't win

RedSinha

Wait, we're not counting Brighton in the title race? Joint 1st on the table, 100% win rate atm.

Also loving the fact that United will have to fight Spurs for 4th after two scrappy 1-0 wins by Nuno. People would have predicted us to get relegated last season with the awful start we had.

slyadams

Just discussed this with my friend today. Absolutely agree with you. Chelsea finishing 1st, unfortunatelly for us, with Lukaku scoring 20+ this season. The 2nd spot will go to City, Grealish to play important role there. Pool, if VVD stay fit to finish 3rd. We will have strong fight with Spurs and Foxes to finish 4th. Hopefully, Rafa not doing too much magic with Everton.
If we are fighting with spurs and Leicester with this squad everyone deserves the sack.

Mr.Plow

'Strongest squad in years' yet all we heard at the end of last season was that we lack depth up top.

How does one, admittedly quality, attacking signing change that? We're a couple of injuries away from Dan James and Lingard starting.

Chelsea, Liverpool and City all have much better squads.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
2 points behind chelsea and liverpool and one ahead of city. Lets see where we are after 5 more games and reassess.

Sparky Rhiwabon

You can’t afford to drop points against a team like Southampton if you want to win the title

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's way too early but one thing I think is certain is that you'll need 90+ points to win it and I don't think we have it in us.

gajender

You can’t afford to drop points against a team like Southampton if you want to win the title
Teams can and almost all the challengers will ,but for any team with genuine title aspirations it would an aberration and wont be regular occurrence unlike us

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
'Strongest squad in years' yet all we heard at the end of last season was that we lack depth up top.

How does one, admittedly quality, attacking signing change that? We're a couple of injuries away from Dan James and Lingard starting.

Chelsea, Liverpool and City all have much better squads.
Only because Rashford is currently injured and Cavani still working to fitness. With everyone fit we could theoretically have these two front fours:

Cavani
Pogba Fernandes Sancho

Martial
Rashford van de Beek Greenwood​

without even touching James or Lingard.

City and Chelsea have comparable depth in attacking areas but Liverpool don't.

Relevant

I like Chelsea. Good manager, confidence high following the Champions League win, and now with Lukaku up top. Yes, Chelsea definitely.

On the other hand...City have a great squad. Deep. Full of 50mill plus players. And Pep Guardiola!!! Proven winners, and experience counts....gotta be City!

And then there's United of course.... Improving all the time. Solskjaer has settled in now, next step's the title. Varane and Sancho the icing on the cake, Old Trafford buzzing again. United it is! Go Ole!!!

And what about Liverpool? VVD back, Elliott new young star rising, Anfield full capacity. Had their year off, now back with a bang. Unbeaten in last 12, winning 10. Momentum!! Surely it's Liverpool, they'll take some beating....

So after a great deal of deliberation, Watford to walk it. Nailed on. Think rich and bet big :houllier::D;)

Withnail

It's far too early to tell.

City looked terrible in their first game and Norwich wasn't even close to a challenge.

Liverpool look suspect at the back and have given up chances against poor opposition.

We did well against Leeds but they played into our hands and we should have beaten Southampton based on the chances we had, even if none of our players seemed to be able to pass the ball yesterday.

Chelsea are looking good but again it's only two games in.

I don't see Spurs doing much and don't expect Leicester to improve much either.

Chief123

This reminds me of last seasons start where Everton’s good form had some having them as an outside chance of winning the league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd agree that Chelsea would be favourites. The other 3 will be a mix. Our midfield will hold us back from a real challenge. We can't sustain attacks, we can't control the flow of games that well even if we have very good game changers at both ends of the pitch. We need the middle to be balanced and of higher quality than it is, and it's a good level below the other big sides.

croadyman

I'd agree that Chelsea would be favourites. The other 3 will be a mix. Our midfield will hold us back from a real challenge. We can't sustain attacks, we can't control the flow of games that well even if we have very good game changers at both ends of the pitch. We need the middle to be balanced and of higher quality than it is, and it's a good level below the other big sides.
Would be so different IF only we spent that £35M last summer on a DM then could have focused THIS one on Varane, Sancho and finally a CM who was capable of keeping things ticking over.

chris123

Christ, this thread is a bit too negative even for me. We were losing 6-1 to Spurs at this point last year, I was even more worried about our lack of preseason this time around, and we've at least got four points on the board from our first two, at a minimum I see us on 8 after the first four. We've added Varane and Sancho to the side that finished 2nd, sure Chelsea and Liverpool are stronger and I too would have Chelsea as favs but we're very much in that same caliber competing for the title.

Yakuza_devils

Top 3 not in particular order City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Good teams and world class managers.

Utd will be 4th comfortably because i don't see Spurs, Arsenal or Leicester can mount serious challenge for 4th against Utd.

If we have world class manager things could be different.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
This fanbase. Won 5-1 last week and there were threads like 'do we sense shades of 2007/07'. Only draw a game yesterday and we are not in a title race anymore. Embarrassing kneejerks everywhere whenever we win and don't win
It's ridiculous. :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Maybe after 10 games would be smarter to start this thread but lets start now.
I think that we can have joined thread for this because United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool are levels above others and it would be a miracle that one of these 4 miss top 4. So main question is; who will win PL?

Chelsea is my favorite. 2 players on every position, excellent coach and the most important thing; they look great on the pitch.
Second and third place will go to Liverpool or City. City is City, especially when they buy Kane. Biggest plus for them is that they win easily against small teams. Liverpool looks little bit shaky in defence and tbh, i think that they lack depth in attack.
United will finish 4th. Our squad is as good as those 3 but i am afraid that too many away draws will kill our chance to win title. We still lack that killer instinct.

Who can surprise and steal one of top 4 spots? Spurs and Leicester maybe? I don't think so.
People are getting carried away with Chelsea. Just like they were severely underrated in the Champions League run in last year (which made them dangerous), they are now a bit overrated as title favourites this season IMO.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We didn't win a game, so obviously we're only going for 4th.

If we win a couple in a row, we're going for the title.
If we then don't win a game, it's 4th.

And so on really.