Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPMUFC

Would be good but hope we are ready to pull the trigger on our second option, Spurs are the type to try and feck us about till the very last minute.
Although Levy has the worry of potentially losing 35 million if he doesn't do a deal. If Spurs trigger the 1 year extension, Toby gets a 25 million buyout clause activated.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's close to his retirement, in a very big house in the country.... 29 is very old I tell ya.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Shouldn’t even be concerned on the price anymore. It’s a ridiculous market and if we dont pay it we continue with the likes of Jones getting a look in. We wouldn’t progress. Just pay it and get what we need
It's just the way the market is. Even between mid table clubs players cost 20 million a piece. The real good ones are triple that and the money just keeps moving round.

J_XO

It's just the way the market is. Even between mid table clubs players cost 20 million a piece. The real good ones are triple that and the money just keeps moving round.
It doesn’t help that we’re dealing with Levy either, known for being difficult. But yeah, the market is crazy and I just wonder how much worse it can get

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Please tell me we're not seriously considering paying circa £60m for an injury prone near 30 year old who couldn't hack it at Atlético Madrid who will be available in less than a year for £25m - the mind boggles, and it'll end in tears as well, in a years time we'll be begging West Ham to up their offer to £23m just to take him off our hands.....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Please tell me we're not seriously considering paying circa £60m for an injury prone near 30 year old who couldn't hack it at Atlético Madrid who will be available in less than a year for £25m - the mind boggles, and it'll end in tears as well, in a years time we'll be begging West Ham to up their offer to £23m just to take him off our hands.....
It looks like we may be making a move for him. Not the end of the world but if it doesn't work out and we continue to struggle in attack then Mourinho will have a lot to answer for.

WPMUFC

So one bad injury in his career is now the new definition of "injury prone" :lol:

Oh no...not the dreaded NEAR 30 phase.....as we all know, 29 is the new 75 :lol:

Couldn't "hack it at Madrid", yet is hands down rated as one of the best CB's in the PL.

We are being quoted 70+ million for Maguire, a player that was a CB for one of the worst defences in the PL last year and "dominated" the powerhouses of world football in Panama.

We are being quoted 35+ million for Mina, a player that wants to leave Barca for a "less pressure" club, after 8 months and a cost of 11 million. Somehow claiming you can't hack it at your club raises the fee by 3x ?? :lol:

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ok replace 'hack it' with couldn't cope with the pressure of playing for a club the size of Atlético Madrid then.

Deadly serious
Hardly staggering, he was behind one of the best CB partnerships in the world at the time, Godin and Miranda, the season they won the league and reached the CL. He found he'd have better opportunities at Southampton and went there on loan, he went there to develop and became one of the best defenders in the PL and ended up in the best CB partnership in the PL. Hardly failing to cope with the pressure of playing for Atletico.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
In fairness, low release clauses can lead to escalating bonuses or agent fees. If the point is Spurs not getting a penny more fair enough, but you can't compare an all in cost with a release clause like that.

Nebeolisa Cyril

He’s one of the best ball playing defenders in the league if not the best maybe the plan is to change the style of play to build out from the back rather than Smalling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Class of 63

Sourness
It looks like we may be making a move for him. Not the end of the world but if it doesn't work out and we continue to struggle in attack then Mourinho will have a lot to answer for.
Exactly, if he(Alderweireld)was the final piece in the jigsaw I could kinda understand it even at the quoted price if he was the only player Mourinho wanted for the position(but he's obviously not, available yeah, but that's different), and when there are still obvious weaknesses in both full-back positions and wide-right and the need for an experienced striker to spell Lukaku occasionally it seems a strange transfer, and an expensive one at that.

Hey lets hope if it happens it's a masterstroke.

Castia

The best centre back currently available, his age is a bit of a concern but we have a couple of young centre backs in Bailly and Lindelof so it’s not like our entire centre back options are aging.

Would be a top signing, one of the best CB’s in the prem.

Last edited:

Patrick08

Sell, Rojo for 30 m. That will soften the blow of huge fee we pay for the player.

Class of 63

Sourness
So one bad injury in his career is now the new definition of "injury prone" :lol:

My mate Bertie Wikipedia tells me he's played less than 250 League games in ten full seasons, and only managed to top 30 appearances in a season 4 times, which suggests.....

Oh no...not the dreaded NEAR 30 phase.....as we all know, 29 is the new 75 :lol:

It's a lot of money for somebody to play veterans five a side football in 6 months time don't you think, i'd rather patch Gordon McQueen up :lol:

Couldn't "hack it at Madrid", yet is hands down rated as one of the best CB's in the PL.

Yeah but the standard is low...

We are being quoted 70+ million for Maguire, a player that was a CB for one of the worst defences in the PL last year and "dominated" the powerhouses of world football in Panama.

(Shrug)

We are being quoted 35+ million for Mina, a player that wants to leave Barca for a "less pressure" club, after 8 months and a cost of 11 million. Somehow claiming you can't hack it at your club raises the fee by 3x ?? :lol:

We, and other suitors are being quoted that price because they don't really want to sell him, but because of the non EU restrictions if they get offered that they'd probably take it, more so now with Malcolm and Vidal signing recently

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
It's only four years ago, but yeah he's a better player now
Salah, KdB, Lukaku couldn't hack it at Chelsea and the first 2 players are 2 of the best in the league.

Saying some player couldn't hack it at some club, so he isn't good enough is just dumb logic.

Sereques

60 million pounds? After these signings, if we finish 19 points behind fecking city(or god forbid,liverpool) and if jose trumpets his 'not enough signings' mantra again, I hope woodward fires him on the spot.
A good number of fans agrees with Jose that the board did not back him.

Castia

A good number of fans agrees with Jose that the board did not back him.

It’s the most ridiculous logic ever. I’ve seen em on Twitter pointing their frustration at this window to the Glazers....you know the guys who give Jose around £350m in just over 2 years.

Class of 63

Sourness
Hardly staggering, he was behind one of the best CB partnerships in the world at the time, Godin and Miranda, the season they won the league and reached the CL. He found he'd have better opportunities at Southampton and went there on loan, he went there to develop and became one of the best defenders in the PL and ended up in the best CB partnership in the PL. Hardly failing to cope with the pressure of playing for Atletico.
He wasn't a kid when he went there, he was 23/24, and yes Godin and Miranda were outstanding, no denying that, but the fact a year after signing him, and with 3 years still on his contract they were happy for him to go on loan to Southampton with an agreed fee at the end of it(only £0.5m more than what they paid Ajax Amsterdam for him) suggests they didn't rate him as a central defender, or in a two, if they'd rated him that highly they wouldn't have agreed a fee with Southampton when Miranda(29 going on 45) at the time would soon need replacing, and he was.

Class of 63

Sourness
Salah, KdB, Lukaku couldn't hack it at Chelsea and the first 2 players are 2 of the best in the league.

Saying some player couldn't hack it at some club, so he isn't good enough is just dumb logic.
Slightly different, Chelsea stockpiled and the players you mentioned weren't really given a chance. Same League as well.

Where did I say he wasn't good enough ? It's the price i've got a problem with, and i'd imagine a month ago most would've felt the same.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Slightly different, Chelsea stockpiled and the players you mentioned weren't really given a chance. Same League as well.

Where did I say he wasn't good enough ? It's the price i've got a problem with, and i'd imagine a month ago most would've felt the same.
Same with Toby, he wasn't given the chance as Atletico had 2 of the best CBs in Europe.

His Atletico Madrid stint means nothing, he was loaned out to Southampton where he was very good, arguably best CB in the league playing for Spurs except last season where he missed many games for lot of reasons.

Yes, price is issue, in that case your argument should be about how we shouldn't sign him as we can sign him for 25 million next year, not how he couldn't hack it at Atletico, which has nothing to do with the transfer.

Sereques

It’s the most ridiculous logic ever. I’ve seen em on Twitter pointing their frustration at this window to the Glazers....you know the guys who give Jose around £350m in just over 2 years.
Because that is what they were told by MEN, dailymail, experts on skysports and The Sun. Their predicted signings did not manifest, hence the board refuse to back Jose.

Class of 63

Sourness
Same with Toby, he wasn't given the chance as Atletico had 2 of the best CBs in Europe.

His Atletico Madrid stint means nothing, he was loaned out to Southampton where he was very good, arguably best CB in the league playing for Spurs except last season where he missed many games for lot of reasons.

Yes, price is issue, in that case your argument should be about how we shouldn't sign him as we can sign him for 25 million next year, not how he couldn't hack it at Atletico, which has nothing to do with the transfer.
That was my original point way back when, that and his age.

PieCrust

Don't need a signing at CB, but at least he's an upgrade if he comes through, unlike Maguire who isn't better than anyone else on the roster.

Still disappointed the real areas of need in the squad will be left unaddressed. Both fullbacks and RW. Oh well.

WPMUFC

We really need a Journo to ask Jose about specific players after the Bayern game. Might give us a better idea at which rumours may be more credible than the others.

red thru&thru

I’m surprised Pique made it at Barca at the end of the day, he couldn’t “hack it” here and left.

Status
Not open for further replies.