Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Moleman

I see people talk about Toby being a great CB all the time. Here's a few clips of his defending last season that suggest otherwise :

Vs. West Ham

West Ham's 2nd goal

3:11

Beaten to header and doesnt react fast enough to stop goal

West Ham's 3rd goal

4:43

Loses man on a corner who scores. Very United 2017/18

-

Vs Chelsea

2:05

Loses Morata who puts header wide

Not very comfortable with Morata dribbling him. Didnt result in a goal but not convincing

The winning goal from Alonso also comes from Toby's area of defence. We see him jogging back somewhat towards his position and his teammate Dembele has to some extent filled in for him while he's out of position but obviously you'd want your CB at CB at 88 mins into the match and Dembele comes up short when covering Toby's position

At United we'd analyse this stuff a lot more. Our CBs get trashed for less. He was a pretty average CB when he played last season
What a load of absolute shite :lol::lol::lol:

Ekeke

Out of interest, who would you like us to sign before the end of this window ? You don’t seem happy with Maguire or Toby...
Of the 3 we're linked with I'm most on board with Mina with the mentality that all 3 are a bit of a gamble, but he's the youngest and less financial risk but he has some outstanding qualities that might help in the area we seem to be weakest defensively which is defending set pieces.

Watching him in the world cup I thought he looked like a potential star for someone who takes a chance on him. I wasnt really thinking it would be us and I do think its a risk but given the other CBs we are linked with arent particularly great defenders either, its a risk I'm more at ease with.

Most of all I'd like people to appreciate the players we already have. They might not be perfect but neither are the players we are linked to. We just arent watching them every single week and breaking down every mistake they make and so our posters arent hurling abuse at them.

As I said previously I do believe that Toby would be an improvement on Jones and Bailly, not sure about Lindelof because even though he isnt my style of CB he was fairly solid the world cup so I'd give him another chance before I say Toby is better.

But for £60 million I don't expect defending like some of the above. For me thats a price way above his worth.

SpyLuke10

Mina = Tall Colombian version of Phil Jones. Comfortably worse than Rojo. Worth 10M 6 months ago and not worth much more now really. 18M tops.

Maguire = Rate him, very good defender imo, not that old either. England's best centre back atm. I'd pay as much as 70M to get him if I could.

Alderweireld = Comfortably the best of the 3, top class. Is 29 which isn't old but isn't young. My main concern about him is that he is coming off an injury riddled season. He is NOT injury prone, unless we are talking about in the last 12 months. The last 12 months are some to forget for him on an individual level. Nevertheless I hope we sign him. I'd prefer us not getting absolutely shafted for him though.

IrishRedDevil

Of the 3 we're linked with I'm most on board with Mina with the mentality that all 3 are a bit of a gamble, but he's the youngest and less financial risk but he has some outstanding qualities that might help in the area we seem to be weakest defensively which is defending set pieces.

Watching him in the world cup I thought he looked like a potential star for someone who takes a chance on him. I wasnt really thinking it would be us and I do think its a risk but given the other CBs we are linked with arent particularly great defenders either, its a risk I'm more at ease with.

Most of all I'd like people to appreciate the players we already have. They might not be perfect but neither are the players we are linked to. We just arent watching them every single week and breaking down every mistake they make and so our posters arent hurling abuse at them.

As I said previously I do believe that Toby would be an improvement on Jones and Bailly, not sure about Lindelof because even though he isnt my style of CB he was fairly solid the world cup so I'd give him another chance before I say Toby is better.

But for £60 million I don't expect defending like some of the above. For me thats a price way above his worth.
You’ll turn your nose up at Alderweireld but you’d fancy Mina :lol: Would you have mentioned his name before the World Cup?

jmaggio

Mina = Tall Colombian version of Phil Jones. Comfortably worse than Rojo. Worth 10M 6 months ago and not worth much more now really. 18M tops.

Maguire = Rate him, very good defender imo, not that old either. England's best centre back atm. I'd pay as much as 70M to get him if I could.

Alderweireld = Comfortably the best of the 3, top class. Is 29 which isn't old but isn't young. My main concern about him is that he is coming off an injury riddled season. He is NOT injury prone, unless we are talking about in the last 12 months. The last 12 months are some to forget for him on an individual level. Nevertheless I hope we sign him. I'd prefer us not getting absolutely shafted for him though.
This. I find it funny that many seem to prefer him over other options, when Mina had an atrocious season Last year, but had an OK World Cup. But yet I thought we weren’t supposed to judge players off the back of a tournament, as many have arduously stated in the Maguire thread (Maguire also had a much better season). He would be yet another disappointing CB signing, unless we got him for a really low price alongside another Defensive acquisition .

SER19

Godin, who many here and in the football world cite as one of the best defenders in the world (and I agree with) is 32.would we have turned our noses up at him 3 years ago?

Okay you might argue you think godin is the better player, but alderweireld is certainly a top defender. 29 is not an issue

davidmichael

It’s clear we’re after a centre back so there’s no point in us highlighting the obvious need for a left back and right sided forward as it’s not Jose’s priority, Alderweireld is one of the best centre backs in Europe when fit and on form so clearly the best available.

When Smalling plays alongside an intelligent ball playing partner he looks a great centre back as all he has to do is focus on defending and as a pure defender Smalling is good at that and I imagine Bailly would be the same, if we can get Alderweireld signed or pretty much done by Tuesday we MIGHT have time to sign a right sided forward too but I don’t think Jose is bothered about a left back now.

RedNed77

How do you figure that? Mourinho himself wants to strengthen exactly that position and when it comes to CB's his transfer record is almost perfect.

We have Bailly who struggles with injuries, Lindelof who isn't ready to be first team CB, Rojo who is a bit shit, Jones who is always injured, and Smalling who is also not on the level of the best CB's in the league.

As for Mina being a rough diamond you can't be serious based on grand total of three games that you've seen of him at the WC against a dull English side and inferior opposition.

You'd rather spend 45m EUR on unproven CB than 60m pounds on one of the best CB's in the league? Mind boggles that.
During his first Chelsea stint;
Carvalho (Good)
Boulahrouz
Jarosik
Alex
Rajkovic
Alcides

Inter
Lucio (good)

Real Madrid
Varane (good)
Carvalho

Chelsea 2nd time
Zouma
Hector
Djilobodji

Us
Bailly (jury out)
Lindelof (Jury out)

Almost perfect?

Hojoon

The few times I actually remember his performances, I don't think think he improves our biggest weakness defensively which is being good in the air because he's average in that department. Still, he would add a new dimension to the team because he is properly great on the ball, both in ability and application.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Still don't understand the need for a CB. I really like Bailly and Lindelof as players, and then the others are good to back those two up. More pressing issues for me in this team if I'm honest. Left Fullback, Right Winger and Central Midfield to name but a few.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
During his first Chelsea stint;
Carvalho (Good)

Boulahrouz
Jarosik
Alex
Rajkovic
Alcides

Inter
Lucio (good)

Real Madrid
Varane (good)
Carvalho

Chelsea 2nd time
Zouma
Hector
Djilobodji

Us
Bailly (jury out)
Lindelof (Jury out)

Almost perfect?
Random thought biut i think that guy is total class act. One of the best defenders I've seen in my time watching football, which is 18 years roughly.

Kag

I think we do.
Too much negative press and moaning from some of our fans are preventing us from noting a few important things that can tilt the title our way next season.

1. Sanchez. In my head is very much like a brand new signing. It's like we just bought him this Summer. And many have forgotten how good he is.

2. Fred. That lad is going to transform our midfield, I tell you. His vision and ability to dictate play will improve our team significantly.

3. Pereira. Like Sanchez, he is also looking like a brand new purchase who offers top quality to our middle and overall play.

4. Toby. He is coming. I can feel it. One of our major problems last season was our defence. I know people will point to the stats that say otherwise but in modern football, play starts from the back. A ball playing, experienced center back makes a massive difference in a team's overall quality. Also, we lost some very crucial games last season because of defensive mistakes. The FA Cup Final quickly comes to mind. A skilled and experienced defender could have made a big difference? Who knows?

5. Lindelof. This is a strange call but I have a feeling that kid is going to be huge next season. He had a fantastic World Cup and next season will be his second at United which means he has had enough time to adapt. I see him staking his claim in the team. Also, people are worried about our right back position. I'm not. We forget that Lindelof can be excellent cover for the right back. He played right back pretty well for Sweden in the U-21 and last Euro. He also played it a number of times for Benfica and even for us last season.

6. The new coaching staff. Need I say more here. Lukaku, Pereira etc have already spoken about the impact Carrick has been having on them. I think the new coaching crew will make the team play a lot better.

7. For the first time in a while, due primarily to a perceived woeful Summer, United are not rated in the title race. I suspect this will play nicely into our hands.

8. Shaw wants to fight, De Gea is staying, we might be getting a proper right winger to replace Martial, etc.

I know it will be a tough season and we have not had a great Summer but don't write United off.
Love it when our players are praised like this instead of being torn apart.

Ekeke

The few times I actually remember his performances, I don't think think he improves our biggest weakness defensively which is being good in the air because he's average in that department. Still, he would add a new dimension to the team because he is properly great on the ball, both in ability and application.
Pretty much

Lindelof played 3 more matches so its possible Toby would have caught him on Headed clearances, but no chance on Aerial battles against opponents. This is the reason that people are giving as to why Lindelof isnt good enough but statistically at least he's better at it than Toby, so we'll only get worse at our defense's biggest problem with Toby instead.

Oh wow. Here's the one for those many posters hoping that we sign Toby and replace Smalling with him in the team

Do bare in mind that Smalling played 29 times to Toby's 14 but even if you doubled Toby's headers he wouldnt come close to the work Smalling does for us at the back

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's even funnier when you compare Maguire to Smalling (the first is apparently amazing in the aerial battles and Smalling is cack overall, aerial battles included) and it turns out that Maguire won just 11 aerial battles more than Smalling and had 26 more headed clearances. Maguire playing 9 games more or roughly 900 minutes more if you will.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Pretty much

[some stuff]

Do bare in mind that Smalling played 29 times to Toby's 14 but even if you doubled Toby's headers he wouldnt come close to the work Smalling does for us at the back
Surely people (yourself included) see the glaringly obvious flaw in the way you're attempting to analyse?

What you're essentially saying is that a player that has had to deal with more crosses is somehow better? Or, inversely, that Alderweireld is worse because he's not had to make as many clearances?

What you should be concentrating on is goals conceded - just because Mourinho's defensive tactics invite more crosses/long balls than attacking football, does not mean that Smalling/Jones are suddenly Maldini and Puyol.

Ekeke

It's even funnier when you compare Maguire to Smalling (the first is apparently amazing in the aerial battles and Smalling is cack overall, aerial battles included) and it turns out that Maguire won just 11 aerial battles more than Smalling and had 26 more headed clearances. Maguire playing 9 games more or roughly 900 minutes more if you will.
Again I dont think Smalling is getting the credit he deserves. He's not cack at aerial battles. Occasionally someone who is good in the air beats him to a set piece which is probably the one area that he isnt a top class defender when he doesnt have the ball. That doesnt make him cack, it just isnt his strongest point and could do with some help from teammates who are just as good as he is at it.

Ekeke

Surely people (yourself included) see the glaringly obvious flaw in the way you're attempting to analyse?

What you're essentially saying is that a player that has had to deal with more crosses is somehow better? Or, inversely, that Alderweireld is worse because he's not had to make as many clearances?

What you should be concentrating on is goals conceded - just because Mourinho's defensive tactics invite more crosses/long balls than attacking football, does not mean that Smalling/Jones are suddenly Maldini and Puyol.
Vertonghen played 36 games to Toby's 14. Double Toby's numbers and add 5 if you want

Also the player who outperformed and replaced him

Sanchez 31 games to 14

AR87

I think if we sign Toby (or Maguire) we'd largely be moving towards a 3 man backline which Smalling would be a part of with Bailly or Lindelof as the 3rd member. Smalling has issues with the ball but he's our best natural defender and one of the best CBs in the PL in the air.

davidmichael

Let’s just sign both Maguire and Alderweireld then sell Jones, Lindelof, Darmian and Rojo and then if that doesn’t work as they’ll both be Jose buys then on Jose’s head be it.

haram

Cut the shit, Alderweireld would easily be the best CB at the club. These stats are boring.

Hawks2008

Pretty much

Lindelof played 3 more matches so its possible Toby would have caught him on Headed clearances, but no chance on Aerial battles against opponents. This is the reason that people are giving as to why Lindelof isnt good enough but statistically at least he's better at it than Toby, so we'll only get worse at our defense's biggest problem with Toby instead.

Oh wow. Here's the one for those many posters hoping that we sign Toby and replace Smalling with him in the team

Today I learned heading is all that matters for a CB...

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This potential transfer has always been fascinating because there is just so much unknown with Toby the past year and a half.

In 2015-16 he was clearly the best defender in the PL and utterly dominant and then started the 16-17 season in the same form. He had a bad knee injury that October which he returned from a bit hurriedly as Spurs tried to chase Chelsea down, and he was a step slower and his aerial ability slipped as well. The thought was that with the whole summer off he would return back to his earlier form for the 17-18 season and all would return to normal (including a big contract extension with Tottenham).

But then something strange happened. Spurs spent a club record fee that summer on another center half that plays his exact same preferred spot (right side of a back 2). Spurs started the season slowly and Toby still didn't look back to his 15-16 self. Sanchez came in and everyone thought Toby would be in the center of a back 3 and ... nope, it was Sanchez. The contract negotiations didn't go anywhere and Spurs didn't exactly seem bothered to try and retain him - no upgraded offer, nothing. Sanchez just effectively usurped Toby's role even before his injury, and once he injured his hamstring ... that was probably it for his Spurs career.

So what to make of all this? Pochettino and Levy clearly decided after the 17-18 season that Toby was going to be replaced before Vertonghen (thus the club record fee on Davinson Sanchez). Were they worried his knee injury was career limiting? Were they already sure that he would not sign a new deal? Were they just hedging their bets? I honestly have no clue, but that Sanchez signing basically sent the signal that Toby was done as part of Spurs long term plans ... even before his hamstring injury in 17-18.

If United get a healthy Toby who is at his 15-16 levels, this transfer is a bargain. If you get the version who limped around in 17-18, I'm not sure he even starts for you (he definitely would not start for Spurs). The fact Spurs seem happy to move him and cash in without really any tussle to keep him is fairly bizarre, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.