g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSArsenal

Doesn't Martial want to play up front?

Why would he swap being second choice to Lukaku at United for being second choice to Harry Kane at Spurs, for probably less money than he could get if he signed a new contract?

Mihai

Like the majority
That tweet not really telling us anything we don't already know.

We know he doesn't want to stay.

We know negotiations would be between Woodward and Levy.

Pointless tweet.
Like the majority of transfer related tweets.

Nick.

They wont sell for £40m which was the offer reported by the Mail.

Revan

Assumptionman
They can likely sell abroad for closer to their valuation imo.
I doubt they'll find a foreign club who'll offer more than 40m pounds for him. A superior player (Bonucci) just went for 35m euros.

Foreign clubs aren't near as rich or stupid as English ones.

Klopp_De_Klown

If Spurs have no intention of selling and no intention of playing him. Taking into account that he was benched most of last season there’s no way that extension won’t be appealed if Spurs try to impose it.
His value as an asset is being undermined by spurs pricing him out of a move and refusing to play him where his age will also be a factor.

There is no way if appealed Spurs will win. He will walk next summer for free. Due in no small part to Levy’s vindictiveness!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Won't happen unless Martial is part of the deal. Your manager is doing you no good moaning in the press everyday as this just strengthens Levy hand in the deal as your options are becoming less and less.

Both players want to leave their clubs so its in your court, name your price for Martial and we will tell you what we want for Toby. I would imagine it will involve us paying you £10m ish.
Really? You really believe you will get Martial for Toby + change ?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Are the Mirror not confused as to why he isn’t holding the shirt up yet? Signing in 48 hours apparently now they come out with that. Pathetic. They haven’t a fecking clue what’s going on.

bond19821982

He's posted this belief of his multiple times in his very limited posts on the Caf.
I am blaming it on FiFA career mode. You include the player you dont want and try to get the player you want for some change.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
No idea what this means :lol::lol:

BBC confirmation of negotiations?? :confused:
:lol: What is the bottom guy on? He's making out like Alderweireld is out of contract next summer. "a little in 6 months, and nothing next summer". Err no, Spurs would get 25 million next summer, Alderwerield still has two years left on his contract if Spurs exercise the one year option.

I'm not fussed if we sell him, we managed fine without him last season, but it's not the desperate scenario some are making it out to be. Even if Spurs kept him this season, they'd still get 25 million for a nearly 31 year old CB. Not bad if you ask me, it would be clear Spurs would have had his best years. I think Spurs should take 60 million now but not a penny less. He's one of the best CBs in the league at a peak age.

MetoTTT

Won't happen unless Martial is part of the deal. Your manager is doing you no good moaning in the press everyday as this just strengthens Levy hand in the deal as your options are becoming less and less.

Both players want to leave their clubs so its in your court, name your price for Martial and we will tell you what we want for Toby. I would imagine it will involve us paying you £10m ish.
Great, if it's true I hope we will keep Martial or sell him abroad and buy Toby next summer for 25mil to wind up Levy. It'll be really funny to see if Levy is ready to afford a 30-35mil loss and keep an unhappy player...who ends up playing at United next year.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
If Spurs have no intention of selling and no intention of playing him. Taking into account that he was benched most of last season there’s no way that extension won’t be appealed if Spurs try to impose it.
His value as an asset is being undermined by spurs pricing him out of a move and refusing to play him where his age will also be a factor.

There is no way if appealed Spurs will win. He will walk next summer for free. Due in no small part to Levy’s vindictiveness!

Don't be silly! Absolute rubbish.

:lol: What is the bottom guy on? He's making out like Alderweireld is out of contract next summer. "a little in 6 months, and nothing next summer". Err no, Spurs would get 25 million next summer, Alderwerield still has two years left on his contract if Spurs exercise the one year option.

I'm not fussed if we sell him, we managed fine without him last season, but it's not the desperate scenario some are making it out to be. Even if Spurs kept him this season, they'd still get 25 million for a nearly 31 year old CB. Not bad if you ask me, it would be clear Spurs would have had his best years. I think Spurs should take 60 million now but not a penny less. He's one of the best CBs in the league at a peak age.
My reading is that he is out of contract next summer, but Spurs can exercise a one year contract extension - at that point he will have a buy out clause of £25m. So If Spurs do not take up the one year extension (clearly they will), he would be out of contract next season.

sherrinford

Surely nonsense. Whether he is sold or played is entirely at the clubs discretion, as is the decision to extend.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
My reading is that he is out of contract next summer, but Spurs can exercise a one year contract extension - at that point he will have a buy out clause of £25m. So If Spurs do not take up the one year extension (clearly they will), he would be out of contract next season.
Correct but the guy was saying Spurs would get nothing for him next summer, or would have to sell for cheap in January. Neither scenario is reality. He's making it out like it's a standard player running down his contract and can leave on a free, that isn't the case here. Spurs are guaranteed to get 25 million next summer for Alderweireld regardless of anything. For Spurs to have incentive to sell him this summer, the price would surely have to be attractive enough for us to lose a top CB, and strengthen a rival, and the reported '40 million fee United offered' (which could be rubbish) doesn't cut it. That's why I can see why Levy is saying 60 mill or no deal. It's just brickmanship, I wouldn't be surprised if the fee ends up being between 50 or 60 mill. There is not a cats hell chance it will be less than 50. I think Toby is off to United, it's just how much, and of course, is Martial going to be coming the other way.

I can imagine it's an incredibly complicated negotiation.

bond19821982

Well , the bigger question is 25m next year or 50 now. Is he really worth 25m for you guys ?

AR87

Well , the bigger question is 25m next year or 50 now. Is he really worth 25m for you guys ?
Right. It's not desperate, it's just stupid. Toby doesn't want to be there, the manager clearly doesn't want to pick him and United offered 50m for a player at the start of the window who can leave for half the price in a year's time and is 29. Trying to milk the asset for every penny it's worth while not addressing any other area of need in the squad over the entire window is foolish.

Spurs didn't even need alot to strengthen and replenish the side IMO, but they've now left their business dangerously late.

The Bloody-Nine

Right. It's not desperate, it's just stupid. Toby doesn't want to be there, the manager clearly doesn't want to pick him and United offered 50m for a player at the start of the window who can leave for half the price in a year's time and is 29. Trying to milk the asset for every penny it's worth while not addressing any other area of need in the squad over the entire window is foolish.

Spurs didn't even need alot to strengthen and replenish the side IMO, but they've now left their business dangerously late.
They always do. Levy is such a genius.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
No, which is why I think we will deal, but at the right price. The player has burnt his bridges at Spurs, he has no future there, and apparently he wants to leave too, so it's just about getting the best deal possible.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham

The two things aren't mutually exclusive, what makes you think Spurs have spent 100% of their resources, time and energy all summer on trying to milk Toby Alderweireld's value and have neglected trying to bring in any incomings?

Levy always leaves it till late in the window to do most of his business. It's frustrating for us fans but apart from Liverpool, who exactly out of the top 6 clubs last season have been that active? I can't think of any particular great deals being done. You signed Fred, Chelsea signed Jorginho and that's about it.

Klopp_De_Klown

Don't be silly! Absolute rubbish.
Why is it?

Surely nonsense. Whether he is sold or played is entirely at the clubs discretion, as is the decision to extend.
think you are missing the fact that Toby wants out and has said there was nothing wrong with him last season just he wasn’t being picked.

The accepted truth is Levy is pricing him out of the move. So they won’t pay him what he’s worth won’t play him and won’t sell him.

So you think any player would accept this for another 12 months? That’s 2 and half years he will be benched for at 29-31 years of age. He’ll bring it to CAS, if he does he’ll win handy because Spurs have just not played ball.

Sp00ks11

Doesn't Martial want to play up front?

Why would he swap being second choice to Lukaku at United for being second choice to Harry Kane at Spurs, for probably less money than he could get if he signed a new contract?
He is probably fed up of playing CB

The Bloody-Nine

Why is it?

think you are missing the fact that Toby wants out and has said there was nothing wrong with him last season just he wasn’t being picked.

The accepted truth is Levy is pricing him out of the move. So they won’t pay him what he’s worth won’t play him and won’t sell him.

So you think any player would accept this for another 12 months? That’s 2 and half years he will be benched for at 29-31 years of age. He’ll bring it to CAS, if he does he’ll win handy because Spurs have just not played ball.
No, he won't. He's under contract. Tough shit.

AR87

The two things aren't mutually exclusive, what makes you think Spurs have spent 100% of their resources, time and energy all summer on trying to milk Toby Alderweireld's value and have neglected trying to bring in any incomings?
I don't know what they have or haven't done, but the fact is they've done nothing to unload unwanted players and haven't brought in any of their reported targets. This to me indicates Levy is haggling to the extreme on prices. That's his wont to do, I simply think that in certain cases, Toby's being one, this is a bit short-sighted given the overall situation.

buckooo1978

With Alderweireld it will go to deadline day...I think we are in a game of chicken with Levy but he's not stupid - he will sell this window

It does mean it's all eggs in the Toby basket though as you aren't really leaving time to work on alternatives

Litch

Utd are def spinning plates and really interesting to see which ones drop. Wouldn't it be funny if we end up with Harry and Toby....

sherrinford

Why is it?

They don’t have to play ball. They don’t have to sell him, don’t have to pick him, don’t have to pay him more (what he’s worth??). Levy can price him out of a move if he wants, he can flat out refuse to sell him at any price. Pochettino can play other players in his place all he wants. And if Alderweireld doesn’t like it, then he shouldn’t have signed the contract. Spurs wouldn’t be doing anything they are not perfectly entitled to do. The idea of appealing against the potential extension is laughable.

bond19821982

Agree - Its all on Levy which spurs fans doesn't seem to get and they consider that as his trait.
For mere millions he almost wasted 2 months and they are now running out of time to get players in.

Halftrack

They don’t have to play ball. They don’t have to sell him, don’t have to pick him, don’t have to pay him more (what he’s worth??). Levy can price him out of a move if he wants, he can flat out refuse to sell him at any price. Pochettino can play other players in his place all he wants. And if Alderweireld doesn’t like it, then he shouldn’t have signed the contract. Spurs wouldn’t be doing anything they are not perfectly entitled to do. The idea of appealing against the potential extension is laughable.
You do know that the whole "let him rot on the bench" gives a player, if fit and willing to play, sporting just cause to unilaterally terminate their contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.