Toby Alderweireld

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Toby Alderweireld
71.2 passes per game / 88.5% accuracy
12.2 long balls per game / 59.0% accuracy

Victor Lindelöf
49.7 passes per game / 89.2% accuracy
4.4 long balls per game / 47.7% accuracy

Phil Jones
41.9 passes per game / 92.6% accuracy
2.9 long balls per game / 75.9% accuracy

Chris Smalling
39.8 passes per game / 86.2% accuracy
4.0 long balls per game / 52.5% accuracy

If we're wanting to play a modern game of having players comfortable on the ball, Toby fits that. That's just his passing stats. His clean sheet stats dick all of our players by some distance. I think he'd have decent partnership with Lindelof and would be a no brainer on a free transfer.

The mean weakness with Alderweireld is his aerial ability which is pretty mediocre.
Are those forward or back pass stats ?

Ranchero

So we are struggling to sign a central defender. And yet there is one potential at Spurs who we can get for a pittance in today's market, who is head and shoulders above anyone we currently have. Toby Alderweireld has a £22.5m release clause which expires on July 26 and has one year left on his current contract.

So we are struggling to sign a central defender. And yet there is one potential at Spurs who we can get for a pittance in today's market, who is head and shoulders above anyone we currently have. Toby Alderweireld has a £22.5m release clause which expires on July 26 and has one year left on his current contract.
And what if he’s asking for £300k per week on a 5 year contract? Which is feasible considering he’s not been snapped up. That’s £78m by the way.

Clearly I’ve plucked those figures from my arse but it really shows that the transfer fee is only a small part of the story. On top of that I’m sure he would want a signing on fee and his agent will also want a chunky fee.

I’m not saying he’s not a good player, but cheap he certaintly is NOT!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
And what if he’s asking for £300k per week on a 5 year contract? Which is feasible considering he’s not been snapped up. That’s £78m by the way.

Clearly I’ve plucked those figures from my arse but it really shows that the transfer fee is only a small part of the story. On top of that I’m sure he would want a signing on fee and his agent will also want a chunky fee.

I’m not saying he’s not a good player, but cheap he certaintly is NOT!
This is the problem, also he has said a few times he wants to back to Ajax before he retires, it’s all very strange.

RedDevil@84

He would definitely want a 250k+ package. And at least a 3 year contract. It is his last big paycheck.

dev1l

Problem is we want someone with good aerial ability to partner Lindelof. Toby doesn't seem to have that.
Also I find it strange that no other team in premiership is interested

Gandalf

Problem is we want someone with good aerial ability to partner Lindelof. Toby doesn't seem to have that.
Also I find it strange that no other team in premiership is interested
He is also clearly not the player he was 2 years ago and the decline over the past 2 seasons will probably accelerate from here on out. He wants a big payday and long term security to move and if we give it to him he could well end up being the defensive version of Sanchez in our squad.

dev1l

He is also clearly not the player he was 2 years ago and the decline over the past 2 seasons will probably accelerate from here on out. He wants a big payday and long term security to move and if we give it to him he could well end up being the defensive version of Sanchez in our squad.
I also have the impression that spurs want to ship him and Erikssen out.
Toby because he s past it and Erikssen because it s the best time to sell - Priceline

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Toby because he s past it and Erikssen because it s the best time to sell - Priceline
There are rumours that Toby burnt his bridges basically agreeing to a deal then going back on it. Eriksen I think we would want to keep if possible but he seems set on Madrid.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
100% agree with this post.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think we'd very much like to keep him, which is why we've offered him a very substantially improved contract. But apparently this is not enough for him. Fair enough - it's his choice.

Seij

His wage demands couldn't have been that much or at least that stubborn if Roma can afford it?

Cliche Guevara

I would rather have him in the team than Lindelöf.
That’s pointless though. We’ve invested two years in Lindelöf and I’m confident he’ll be a top player for us this season. I expect him to emerge as a better player than Alderweireld, who’s on his way down.

BlueHaze

That’s pointless though. We’ve invested two years in Lindelöf and I’m confident he’ll be a top player for us this season. I expect him to emerge as a better player than Alderweireld, who’s on his way down.
I was hoping that too but after 2 years here he hasn't impressed me at all except for a few games. Lindelöf is way too inconsistent in his performances to be a centre back at a team like United.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The links to Roma are credible, we have been linked with Zaniolo for a couple of windows and reports this morning have sparked up again. If he’s part of the deal plus cash their way his wages could be sorted out, why he’s choosing the move I have no idea.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Lindelof isn't and won't be a better player than Toby. From his spell at Atletico, to Soton to Spurs he has shown that he is and will be levels above Lindelof

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lindelof isn't and won't be a better player than Toby. From his spell at Atletico, to Soton to Spurs he has shown that he is and will be levels above Lindelof
The wont be part in your sentence is premature

Lindelof is 24 at the same age Toby couldnt get into the team where he was at Atletico

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seriously his spell at Atletico? Where he made the grand sum of 12 La Liga appearances and was moved on after only 1 year?

Alderweireld was arguably the best defender in the PL I'll give you that but that but that was 3 or 4 years ago and that peak only lasted 1 or 2 seasons

3KDré

The wont be part in your sentence is premature

Lindelof is 24 at the same age Toby couldnt get into the team where he was at Atletico
Come on. At the time Atletico had the best defence in the world. He was never going to get ahead of Godin and Miranda.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Seriously his spell at Atletico? Where he made the grand sum of 12 La Liga appearances and was moved on after only 1 year?

Alderweireld was arguably the best defender in the PL I'll give you that but that but that was 3 or 4 years ago and that peak only lasted 1 or 2 seasons
And why was he moved on?