Toby Alderweireld

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
And who did they have?
Of feck off with your condescending questions, I dont care if they had prime Nesta and Maldini the fact he barely played means counting his spell there as an example of peak years as a top CB is utter horse shit

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Of feck off with your condescending questions, I dont care if they had prime Nesta and Maldini the fact he barely played means counting his spell there as an example of peak years as a top CB is utter horse shit
:lol::lol::lol: You sound really mad

I didn't count his spell as an example of peak years, I was saying that you could see from there that he was good

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Didn't even try to factor in context. Even there in his spell at Atletico you could see he was a decent defender
Decent, Lindelof at Benfica also looked very decent. Saying he was clearly better isn't correct. There is a reason he ended up at Southampton next

Cassidy

He was only on loan at Southampton.
There was still a reason he ended up there (rather than a top club picking him up) and then after that Spurs and seemly after that Roma. Making out he was rated as a top level defender whilst at Atletico is a myth he was not

Cassidy

Now weigh up the quality of each league, looking decent in Spain and looking decent in Portugal are two different things x
Looking decent in the UCL playing for Benfica for a whole season or looking good sitting in the bench in Spain x before that he was at Ajax....

RedorDead21

Would love to replace Bailly and Rojo with this guy for a season or 2. Would be a great partner addition at a reasonable price. Not the player he was perhaps but we can't fork out 80m for Maguire types every week.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Would love to replace Bailly and Rojo with this guy for a season or 2. Would be a great partner addition at a reasonable price. Not the player he was perhaps but we can't fork out 80m for Maguire types every week.
And he would still be the best CB at the club, I remember this being an issue last season too and he looked proper

Cassidy

Alderwiereld played in the CL in the season he was at Atletico, he even played in the final against Real...
He also played less UCL games than Lindelof at the same age and also he played a few minutes in extra time in the final lets not embellish things here.

Fer

I would prefer to sign Alderweireld for 25m than Maguire for 80m. We can save 55m and sell Lukaku for 70m. With that money (125m) I would buy Sancho.
In other words, Sancho+Alderweireld > Yedder+Maguire.

There are players that we would need to sell first, it's a priority to get rid off Rojo, Damian and at least one of Jones/Bailly.

Pav1878

I would prefer to sign Alderweireld for 25m than Maguire for 80m. We can save 55m and sell Lukaku for 70m. With that money (125m) I would buy Sancho.

There are players that we would need to sell first, it's a priority to get rid off Rojo, Damian and at least one of Jones/Bailly.
That's a great shout to be fair

If you look at it like that, makes more sense to me.

Maguire may be great for us but at this moment in time, I would rather we did the above

Gandalf

That's a great shout to be fair

If you look at it like that, makes more sense to me.

Maguire may be great for us but at this moment in time, I would rather we did the above
Except Alderweield is over 30 and clearly showing signs of decline. He wants a high salary and the security of a long term contract so in effect we will end up paying 25m for the defensive version of Sanchez and next summer we will be back in for another CB and if it is Maguire the price will have topped 100m. Short term solutions are part of what got in into this mess.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

What if Sancho doesn't want to leave Dortmund?

Halftrack

Alderwiereld played in the CL in the season he was at Atletico, he even played in the final against Real...
He came on in the 83rd minute for an injured Filipe Luis. He was also the only CB Atletico had on the bench, so they were basically forced to play him. Using that as some sign of quality is dumb as hell.

Pav1878

Except Alderweield is over 30 and clearly showing signs of decline. He wants a high salary and the security of a long term contract so in effect we will end up paying 25m for the defensive version of Sanchez and next summer we will be back in for another CB and if it is Maguire the price will have topped 100m. Short term solutions are part of what got in into this mess.
Or someone else could emerge who is better than Maguire at a fraction of the cost?

I mean, VVD went for what 15mil to Southampton? So in today's market, that would be about 30-40mil?

Overall we would have spent less than on Maguire. I just don't see why so many on here seem to think Maguire is the second coming of Rio and Vidic all rolled into one. He is not the only good CB out there in the entire world. He's good but he's overpriced and limited

Gandalf

Or someone else could emerge who is better than Maguire at a fraction of the cost?

I mean, VVD went for what 15mil to Southampton? So in today's market, that would be about 30-40mil?

Overall we would have spent less than on Maguire. I just don't see why so many on here seem to think Maguire is the second coming of Rio and Vidic all rolled into one. He is not the only good CB out there in the entire world. He's good but he's overpriced and limited
I don't see him as the second coming of anything. He is a very good player with a lot of the personal qualities we are looking for in our squad as well as the footballing attributes our defence lacks. Crucially he is far better than any of the players he would be replacing and barring injury would be a full time starter for the next 3 or 4 seasons. We all like the promise of Tuanzebe but do you want him developing alongside Maguire or Smalling? Someone else could emerge as you say but I am sure Ed thought that last year and that failed bet has seen the asking price increase by another 20 million, do we want to keep kicking the can down the road or can we for once do the obvious and right thing.

Pav1878

I don't see him as the second coming of anything. He is a very good player with a lot of the personal qualities we are looking for in our squad as well as the footballing attributes our defence lacks. Crucially he is far better than any of the players he would be replacing and barring injury would be a full time starter for the next 3 or 4 seasons. We all like the promise of Tuanzebe but do you want him developing alongside Maguire or Smalling? Someone else could emerge as you say but I am sure Ed thought that last year and that failed bet has seen the asking price increase by another 20 million, do we want to keep kicking the can down the road or can we for once do the obvious and right thing.
I don't disagree with the train of thought and we should absolutely be addressing the problems in our team and squad. My problem is we are so reactionary. Where was our scouting team when Maguire was at Hull, or when VVD was at Southampton?

Why do we need to buy these players at full whack transfer fee?

It's a game of opinions and obviously ours differ on exactly how good Maguire is. Only time will tell I guess. I Ior one hope you're right, but I have massive doubts about him, at half the quoted fee maybe, but not for a world record fee. That's just insane for Maguire.
Even writing this I can't believe that Harry frickin Maguire is going for a world record fee. Mind well and truly blown.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't disagree with the train of thought and we should absolutely be addressing the problems in our team and squad. My problem is we are so reactionary. Where was our scouting team when Maguire was at Hull, or when VVD was at Southampton?

Why do we need to buy these players at full whack transfer fee?

It's a game of opinions and obviously ours differ on exactly how good Maguire is. Only time will tell I guess. I Ior one hope you're right, but I have massive doubts about him, at half the quoted fee maybe, but not for a world record fee. That's just insane for Maguire.
Even writing this I can't believe that Harry frickin Maguire is going for a world record fee. Mind well and truly blown.
We’re just doing what we’ve always done, let players play PL footy first and see how they go. It’s just that they are more expensive now than when we picked up the likes of Garrick, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Valencia etc

Fıstıkçı Şahap

People are really comparing Lindelöf and Alderweireld? I don't know why some guys overrate Lindelöf here but he has never shown anywhere near the quality of Alderweireld so far. He was awful in his first season, got up his level a bit and was just decent last year. Nothing special and definitely not on the same level with Alderweireld who probably is the most underrated CB in the last couple of seasons.

And Lindelöf was supposed to be that ball playing CB we need but I didn't see much of his ball playing skills in his time here either. Alderweireld is 10 times the ball playing defender Lindelöf is. Only thing I'll give him is he's better than Alderweireld at bringing the ball at his feet with his driving runs through the middle.

Alderweireld has been a part of the best defences in his league in the last years and that's not a coincedence. Getting him for £25m in this market is the best thing we can do.

https://ibb.co/SthTN1C (Not enough priviliges to post images.)

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Alderweireld + Sancho would solve our long standing problems at CB and RW. Looks like Pogba & De Gea stays for now, add another CM/DM or two and we're good to go. Keeping your best players + adressing RB, RW and CB. That'd be the perfect summer for us.

Gandalf

To clarify the point on Lindelof as a ball playing defender. It is immensely difficult to show your skills on the ball as a CB when you are partnered with donkeys. Lindelof has the ability but alongside Smalling he does not get the chance to show it because opposing teams will always press Lindelof knowing they can ignore Smalling as he cannot hurt them with the ball. Alderweireld is partnered with Vertonghen and they both excel with the ball, this causes doubt in opposing teams because you cannot press both at the same time and so as a result they both get time on the ball to show what they can do.

RyRy11

Sancho isn’t coming here (this window at least)

George The Best

Really can’t understand people advocating we should go for him. Still a very good player, but he’s looking for a Sanchez type contract isn’t he? We should stay well clear imo.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Really can’t understand people advocating we should go for him. Still a very good player, but he’s looking for a Sanchez type contract isn’t he? We should stay well clear imo.
I dont feel we would have to offer him astronomical wages. No one so far has triggered his release clause, we could offer more than what ever Spurs are paying him atm for a 3 year deal. Apparently on 80k a week, Id prefer Alderweireld as first CB sub for Maguire/Lindelof over Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Bailly. Surely it wouldnt break the bank to give him a 3 year contract on say 130k, that is a 50k increase over his current Spurs deal. And I would hardly consider that astronomical wages.

Move on Jones, Smalling and Rojo should free up some wage space. He's not really an 'investment' player though so Eddy boy wouldnt go for it.

Nick7

He was fecking bobbins when he came on in the final as well. Nearly lost them the game before the 90 were up.

Gandalf

I dont feel we would have to offer him astronomical wages. No one so far has triggered his release clause, we could offer more than what ever Spurs are paying him atm for a 3 year deal. Apparently on 80k a week, Id prefer Alderweireld as first CB sub for Maguire/Lindelof over Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Bailly. Surely it wouldnt break the bank to give him a 3 year contract on say 130k, that is a 50k increase over his current Spurs deal. And I would hardly consider that astronomical wages.

Move on Jones, Smalling and Rojo should free up some wage space. He's not really an 'investment' player though so Eddy boy wouldnt go for it.
Widely reported that he was asking Spurs for 180k a week which they would not go for however they did offer him 130k which he rejected. I think he would be more expensive and would want a longer term deal than you seem to think.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Widely reported that he was asking Spurs for 180k a week which they would not go for however they did offer him 130k which he rejected. I think he would be more expensive and would want a longer term deal than you seem to think.
Ahh ok, didnt realise he had turned down a contract extension at Spurs for 130k. Id be sceptical of 180k and any longer than 3 years.

Red00012

Every time I see this thread jump to the front of the queue, I hope it’s a “we’re preparing a bid “post