Toby Alderweireld

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Would be a huge upgrade on Lindelof as a ball playing CB. Think Smalling and Alderweireld could be a great partnership. Also as others have mentioned will leave us funds to hopefully strengthen areas like RB, RW and CM.

croadyman

For 25m, get him. Get rid of Rojo. He'd be a big upgrade. Spend big money on a RW and CM, buy a young CB next year. People dreaming of de Ligt, I'd say there is absolutely no chance of getting him, he's Barca bound.
That is my thoughts exactly

MadMike

I wouldn't mind him, if the salary he wants isn't too high.

Personally, I'm a fan of a back 3 formation and he could enable us to do it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How good has he been this season? Haven't watched my of Spurs

KennyBurner

Yeah my worry is he'd be good for one season, but even then he's clearly declining. But I'd rather have him than Bailly any day.
He is just 30 why on earth would you think he will just be good for one year? We can get at least 4 good years out of him. Great signing for the price and he also comes with the experience.

Judas

Open to offers
He is just 30 why on earth would you think he will just be good for one year? We can get at least 4 good years out of him. Great signing for the price and he also comes with the experience.
Have you watched him recently? I’d be shocked if he’s starting for a top team in four years time.

davidmichael

At £25 million and a huge upgrade on all of Bailly, Jones and Rojo I guess it’s a no brainer. He seems to be over his injury prone questions, experienced, proven in our league, Champions League experience and at 30 allows a year or two for Tuanzebe to develop.

We could get £20-£25 million for Bailly and similar for Rojo even though neither are as good so I’d sell them both and go with Alderweireld, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe and Jones (as 5th choice) as our centre back options for next season.

Spending only £25 million leaves a lot for a full back, defensive midfielder and a right sided forward especially with sales/releases too. I think De Ligt is Barca bound and Militao is on his way to Real so with Koulibaly signing a new contract recently I’d say Alderweireld is the best option that’s realistic.

Dong Fangzhuo

Rojo & Bailly out, Toby and Tuanzebe in wouldn't be the worst idea. Not the best idea either but still, wouldn't be against it if we're planning on spending big on CM & RW instead.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
At 25m we can get him and another CB in.

Rojo, Jones and Bailly can walk.

Something like Alderweireld, De Light/Skriniar, Lindelof and Smalling would be a strong set of CB's

izec

In theory no, but since we dont have 400m to spend and i doubt we will spend 100m on a CB, we have to look for a compromise i guess. But yeah, 30 year old player on high wages rings a bell.

yo@Kirk

Counter attacking success requires good passing CBs to trigger the counter attack with accurate long passes. This season, Toby connects on 7.4 long balls per game. Both Smalling and Lindelof connect on 2.1 long balls per game, among the league's worst CBs at that skill. For an emerging talent with Toby's long passing skills, Sampdoria's 22 year old left CB Joachim Andersen connects on 5.7 long balls per game and has a $22m price tag according to Transfermarkt.

ash_86

No brainer for me. Invest the extras on RW and CM positions

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Easily better than, jones, rojo, bailly....even if it's just for a few years. We can go big on a RW and CM this summer and CB later on.

ghagua

If we can get rid of Bailly and Rojo then I would love to have Toby in the squad. Doubtful we can get rid of Rojo but someone would be interested in picking up Bailly.

MadMike

Toby isn't the answer - I thought we learnt our lesson signing ageing players i.e Matic and Sanchez
These too are wildly different cases though. You can argue whether Matic was value for money, but he turned out more than alright. He's certainly contributed his bit these last couple of years, became an integral part of the squad and will surely feature very heavily next year too. Also his salary is not cause for concern. Finally we lacked depth in midfield when he arrived, so he was a welcome addition to Pogba and Herrera.

Sanchez on the other hand has been a bit part player whereas he should be leading the team. His salaries cause us a problem and his arrival meant more bench time for Rashford and Martial.

So long as Toby is reasonably paid and gets a 2+1 year deal, I don't see the problem. 30 isn't too old for CB. He's not reliant on pace as much as forwards like Sanchez are.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With Rojo and Bailly possibly leaving, signing him for 25m seems low risk to me. It won't stop another coming in. As long as we done give him a long contract on huge wages, I don't see a problem. In fact, I think it would be an excellent piece of business.

Inter Yer Nan

He's far better than Rojo, Jones, Bailly and probably better than all three combined. In fact he's better than any of our defenders but Lindelof's form, age and future deserve to stay in the team and perhaps get a stronger, more dominant partner which is why we should look to Koulibaly or someone of that ilk. If Alderweireld is a squad option then you'd take him in a heartbeat and flog one or two of the dross (Bailly, Jones, Rojo)+ Darmian and we've essentially added him for the same price we'd be bringing in for them. Wages could be high but losing Valencia's wages plus their's so can be justified.

If we aren't in for Koulibaly, Skriniar, De Ligt (Barca bound) then he's the best we are linked with and should be prioritized.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Would be a huge upgrade on Lindelof as a ball playing CB. Think Smalling and Alderweireld could be a great partnership. Also as others have mentioned will leave us funds to hopefully strengthen areas like RB, RW and CM.
There wont be any upgrading on Lindelof. What is with this nonsense? Lindelof is proving he is good enough for the team.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see what you are saying but he is better than Bailly/Rojo now and either if not both will be gone in the summer.
Yeah I get that and also the price is enticing. I could just imagine he’s going to be on huge wages and he injury prone

RussellWilson

There wont be any upgrading on Lindelof. What is with this nonsense? Lindelof is proving he is good enough for the team.
Standards have dropped if we can't upgrade on Lindelof, despite his improvement. Smalling is still our best CB whether people like it or not.

Also people need to take of their red tinted specs if they think he's better than Alderweireld.

RU Devil

Counter attacking success requires good passing CBs to trigger the counter attack with accurate long passes. This season, Toby connects on 7.4 long balls per game. Both Smalling and Lindelof connect on 2.1 long balls per game, among the league's worst CBs at that skill. For an emerging talent with Toby's long passing skills, Sampdoria's 22 year old left CB Joachim Andersen connects on 5.7 long balls per game and has a $22m price tag according to Transfermarkt.
+1

Just makes too much sense. De Ligt is probably Barca bound, Militao is done & dusted, so that leaves Koulibaly, who I am not sure is worth the expected outlay. Now, if you told me it's either De Ligt or Alderweireld, then I go for De Ligt. Figure the only possible CB I'd take over Alderweireld (on a cost benefit basis) would be Varane. Everyone else offers no value or is much more risky than De Ligt. We need to spend wisely and getting Alderweireld in allows us to strengthen the defense while saving some funds for other needs.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Seeing as we need 4-5 first team additions, he makes some sense given the contract situation.

hos7age

On one hand it is a nobrainer. But if it stops us going for De Ligt then no.

RussellWilson

No they dont. Also one is 24 and one is 30.
What does age have to do with who is the better player now? I'm not advocating selling Lindelof to play Alderweireld. I'm saying we get rid of one of the other clowns and use Smalling and Alderweireld as starters while we strengthen other positions we need more investment in. Lindelof will still game plenty of game time to continue his improvement hopefully.

mav_9me

Somehow Juventus seem to do good when they get these kind of older players for cut prices. We haven't had similar luck, probably speaks for our improper evaluations and to the difficulty of EPL. I haven't seen him much but I am not sure he has the pace to let us play a high line, does he?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
What does age have to do with who is the better player now? I'm not advocating selling Lindelof to play Alderweireld. I'm saying we get rid of one of the other clowns and use Smalling and Alderweireld as starters while we strengthen other positions we need more investment in. Lindelof will still game plenty of game time to continue his improvement hopefully.

Because one has a lot more playing experience than the other?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Toby isn't the answer - I thought we learnt our lesson signing ageing players i.e Matic and Sanchez
This time next year Sanchez, Mata, Herrera, Valencia, Matic, Young, Smalling and Darmian will all be 30+.

We will no doubt be replacing some of those this summer, and others next summer, but to do so with another 30-year old now makes no sense whatsoever.