Toby Alderweireld

Kostov

No thanks, he's a solid CB but we need someone that can lead that backline. I'd rather we invest in a younger CB as well. De Ligt, Skriniar or some undisputed world class player like Varane would be ideal although unrealistic.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ander's absence could change the calculus of United's transfer spend distribution, with Toby being an obvious beneficiary if breaking the transfer record for a defender becomes less appealing to Woody with midfield questions looming large.

settembrini

I think this transfer is dead. It was Mourinho that wanted him last summer, Woodward was opposed due to his age and wage demands. Mourinho is gone, Woodward is still here with the same objections and I think Solskjaer also wants us to buy younger players.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No thanks, he's a solid CB but we need someone that can lead that backline. I'd rather we invest in a younger CB as well. De Ligt, Skriniar or some undisputed world class player like Varane would be ideal although unrealistic.
Not sure you get that leadership with youth. De Ligt might be the exception to that but he'll have his pick of clubs

charlenefan

I think this transfer is dead. It was Mourinho that wanted him last summer, Woodward was opposed due to his age and wage demands. Mourinho is gone, Woodward is still here with the same objections and I think Solskjaer also wants us to buy younger players.
I think it was more Levy's valuation coupled with his age that put us off last summer (if we were interested at all)

25m still seems like a no brainer for anyone this summer

WPMUFC

spending 100 million on Varane when we will likely have anywhere between 6-10 players leaving in the off season is absolutely bonkers.

De Ligt can basically pick any team in the world. Does he want to come in for a rebuild outside the Champions league, when he can be a contender next season?

We've invested in young-ish CB's. We played a champions league quarter-final with SAf signings.

Toby is a rock. He's got years left in him and Toby-Victor is a FANTASTIC pairing. Toby could be one hell of mentor to Victor, and we can solve so many other defensive problems without blowing our load on Varane, someone that is a world class players, but we have no clue if he can play in the premier league.

Kostov

spending 100 million on Varane when we will likely have anywhere between 6-10 players leaving in the off season is absolutely bonkers.

De Ligt can basically pick any team in the world. Does he want to come in for a rebuild outside the Champions league, when he can be a contender next season?

We've invested in young-ish CB's. We played a champions league quarter-final with SAf signings.

Toby is a rock. He's got years left in him and Toby-Victor is a FANTASTIC pairing. Toby could be one hell of mentor to Victor, and we can solve so many other defensive problems without blowing our load on Varane, someone that is a world class players, but we have no clue if he can play in the premier league.
We've also invested in older players like Matic, and here we are after 2 years needing a replacement once again.

Toby is a good player but I wouldn't describe him and Lindelof a FANTASTIC pairing. Neither is a leader nor dominant in the air. We need a VVD signing in the back since none of the existing options is good enough to lift us a level and neither will Toby. If I had to choose from Spurs CBs, I'd rather have Vertonghen who would fit the profile much more imo.

Spending 100m on one player is not the ideal scenario and as I said even then I struggle to see Varane wanting to move here. And paying that sum for Koulibally is not an option for me. All in all, I'd say we either go for undisputed world class quality if possible, world class talents or we better give our kids a chance (Tuanzebe). Wasting time on Toby will not take us anywhere since I don't rate him as better than Smalling for example.

Untd55

We've also invested in older players like Matic, and here we are after 2 years needing a replacement once again.

Toby is a good player but I wouldn't describe him and Lindelof a FANTASTIC pairing. Neither is a leader nor dominant in the air. We need a VVD signing in the back since none of the existing options is good enough to lift us a level and neither will Toby. If I had to choose from Spurs CBs, I'd rather have Vertonghen who would fit the profile much more imo.

Spending 100m on one player is not the ideal scenario and as I said even then I struggle to see Varane wanting to move here. And paying that sum for Koulibally is not an option for me. All in all, I'd say we either go for undisputed world class quality if possible, world class talents or we better give our kids a chance (Tuanzebe). Wasting time on Toby will not take us anywhere since I don't rate him as better than Smalling for example.
We could do both. £25m is not much for a player nowadays. Jones is injured 50% of the time so we are still going to need another centre back, so perhaps a youth player. Rojo and Bailey are awful so surely they can't be in the running.

I have a feeling another team will go in for Alderweireld, though, so I don't think we will get him.

Jacob

Makes me sick to think that United is a step down for him.

The Nani

Would he want to come to the mess that is our squad at the moment? That's the main stumbling block. If we could get him for 25m it would be fantastic business, for a change.
He won’t sign a contract extension because he’s on peanuts at Spurs.

I imagine he’d be happy to double his wages, and we’re still Manchester fricking United you know.

Ekeke

He won’t sign a contract extension because he’s on peanuts at Spurs.

I imagine he’d be happy to double his wages, and we’re still Manchester fricking United you know.
He'll obviously get a pay rise if he signs a new contract.

The Nani

He'll obviously get a pay rise if he signs a new contract.
Then why haven’t he, Eriksen or Vertonghen signed?

Because obviously the pay rise on offer isn’t enough.

I know that but we're still a mess. If Liverpool put in a bid for example who would you choose at the moment?
I seriously doubt Klopp would be after him considering Gomez’s progress but in that case we would just have to see how it plays out.

charlenefan

As if, we've proven in our head to heads with Spurs there's very little between the two sides and getting Alderweireld into our defence would help us massively find the overall consistency that Spurs do have over us at the moment

Ekeke

I seriously doubt Klopp would be after him considering Gomez’s progress but in that case we would just have to see how it plays out.
Thats not what I said. I said he'll get a pay rise, he's not going to be on "peanuts".

Just compare it with Ander. He's on 80k, we seem to be offering around 150k which is double that.

But its not what someone like PSG seem to be offering.

Are we going to be the PSG offer seemingly paying too much wages for Toby?

I really hope not.

The Nani

Thats not what I said. I said he'll get a pay rise, he's not going to be on "peanuts".

Just compare it with Ander. He's on 80k, we seem to be offering around 150k which is double that.

But its not what someone like PSG seem to be offering.

Are we going to be the PSG offer seemingly paying too much wages for Toby?

I really hope not.
Spurs seem hesitant to pay £150k or more to anyone not named Kane or Alli.

What would classify as overpaying for Alderweireld? I don’t think £175-200k is out of order for a couple of seasons personally. And I reckon he would be happy with that.

Frank Grimes

I'm only using them as an example, there are a multitude of clubs who could interest him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Madness that he was apparently not good enough for us, meanwhile Jones and Smalling get new contracts. This guy is a top defender.

Nickosaur

Would be an immense signing for most teams. Why do I get the feeling United would give him £200k a week for 5 years and he'd be injured within a fortnight...

FujiVice

In terms of league table there's no much in the two sides, and we had the worst start to a season in decades. Spurs arent a step up from United. They've won nothing in years. Even as shit as we've been, its only been about 10 months since our last cup final.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The guys going to want at least 250k and about a 5 year deal, we should learn from the sanchez deal, and not sign aging players to massive contracts.

Jacob

The guys going to want at least 250k and about a 5 year deal, we should learn from the sanchez deal, and not sign aging players to massive contracts.
Definition of aging is hard though. Defenders can play on for longer and it is very idiosyncratic.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

What would classify as overpaying for Alderweireld? I don’t think £175-200k is out of order for a couple of seasons personally. And I reckon he would be happy with that.
He wouldn't. Spurs have already offered him a better contract than that: less money, but longer duration, meaning overall more money.

neilv93

Three-year deal, £25m, up to £250k... seems more than reasonable for an experienced, arguably-world-class CB who's PL proven. I'm all for it personally and, as mentioned above, he'd be a great mentor for Lindelof.

charlenefan

That tends to be an issue.
You don't need to offer more money when you have the Cheese Room, the world class Training facilities and the privilege of playing in the best stadium in da world!!!

Or something like that

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He wouldn't. Spurs have already offered him a better contract than that: less money, but longer duration, meaning overall more money.
That’s not a better contract though. You know this.

Ekeke

£160k max for me. Thats 10k more than Shaw and what one report said Ander wanted. We need to be reducing our wages not adding more £200k wage players

ManchesterYoda

Don't want him at all. He's not better than the CBs we already have, he's 30 and he's yet another RCB. Would be another signing that is totally wrong.

I want a LEFT CB that is better than our current CBs and comfortably under 30. Is that really too much too ask for?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

We activated a year option with Verts before Christmas.