Tomáš Souček - West Ham Player

Kag

Didn’t take long for Moyes to turn him into some ludicrous Fellaini-like experiment. He’ll probably score now I’ve said this, but this is a classic case of completely misunderstanding what the player is good at.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56001747

Only a matter of time before he’s playing for a bigger team
I wonder if he´s got that one gear to send him invitations to a top club, but I´d bet so. It´s just that his passing is average so teams who likes to take more control of the game would look elsewhere. However his mentality is top notch, so comparisons with Schneiderlin who was weak mentally are way off. Soucek is a winner and that mentality can take him very far.

McTominay is a better comparison imo so that he´s an unorthodox no 6/8. However Soucek has more to his game he´s superb defensively, he seems very slow but he catches a lot of balls due to his great positioning and long legs. In that I feel McTominay has to improve as well but still there´s time on his side.

Now someone compared him to Fellaini which is a lazy comparison, he´s much better footballer and even better in the air, dare I say it probably one of the best players in the air in the EPL in the past years both attacking and defending. A few games ago there was a statistics he´s won the most headers in the league of all players, I wasn´t surprised, he won maybe 7-8 just against us. Crazy, however Moyesi shat his pants and played him desperately out of position as a CAM so his impact in a game was diminished, I can see when those comparisons are coming though.

Nevertheless Fellaini was a CAM who was played as a CDM and couldn´t really defend, whereas Souček is a defensively rocksolid goalscoring CDM/CM who also runs one of the most kms in the EPL on top of that. Funnily has got same number of nonpenalty goals as our CAM Bruno.

this season: 8g+1a which is pretty crazy considering his position. So I wondered what was his tally last season and the one before as I knew he was scoring but was really suprised how much.

- 19/20 - 39 games 15g+3a (including CL and loan at WHU)
- 18/19 - 49 games 18g+9a (including EL)

Could he play one day for a bigger team? I am sure of that, but depends on style. Don´t think Ole would go for him when he binned Smalling for Lindelof, then again he loves McTominay. Perhaps Mourinho will be interested but he no longer manages top clubs...

Reactions: golden_blunder

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It really is the exact situation as Fellaini+Moyes. When a big team signs him for his aerial threat but realize that against packed busses (which are what big teams face) he can`t really do much

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
It really is the exact situation as Fellaini+Moyes. When a big team signs him for his aerial threat but realize that against packed busses (which are what big teams face) he can`t really do much
There is not one way to play football do you realise that? One way to break the deadlock is also to have good wingers who can put in some crosses, if you have players like him and Cavani you you may wanna try that more often, also depends on how quickly you counter. For instance we are team with quick transition and Soucek is good on break because then when he gets isolated he can win almost everything in the air. But he´s just not aerial player, he scored some superb goals with his feet too.

And fellaini himself he´s not even that good in the air anyway, just a tall player good to find him with some floating long balls but pretty average for a guy of his height. Same defensively, really struggled to move around the pitch...

Not saying Souček will make it to the technically brilliant top team and be a starter but he can certainly be an option, you have squads with players with different abilities..

TheReligion

Abusive
He's a bit of a twat isn't he.

The Czechs will be without Slavia Prague’s Ondrej Kudela, who received a 10-match Uefa ban after being found guilty of making racist comments to the Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara in Glasgow in March, but on Friday his international teammate Tomas Soucek described that suspension as “absurd”.
“I believe Ondrej did not tell him anything racist, there was no evidence,” the West Ham midfielder told the Czech media outlet iDNES. “I find it absurd. I see how sensitive the British are to racism every day. Two cultures collide because we think a little differently. That they want to fight racism is right, of course, but sometimes they go to such an extreme that it’s downright counterproductive. If they keep looking for racism in everything they can never get rid of it completely. One is almost too afraid it to say anything at all so as not to offend or slander someone.”

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"One is almost to afraid to say anything at all"
Proceeds to walk back what he said.

The irony.

predictably played the "taken out of context" card today.
Except he was actually taken wildly out of context. More than that really...British media ripped a long interview to shreds and stitched together random quotes from different questions to manufacture outrage.

Edit - Can't get Reddit to comment link. Here's a screenshot instead.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
"One is almost to afraid to say anything at all"
Proceeds to walk back what he said.

The irony.
How is it ironic? If anything, him immediately getting a stern phonecall from West Ham or his/their PR people to walk it back goes quite far to backing up his point.

mu4c_20le

Except he was actually taken wildly out of context. More than that really...British media ripped a long interview to shreds and stitched together random quotes from different questions to manufacture outrage.
Except they didn't. They took the full part of the quote that they had an issue with, and reported on it.

Except they didn't. They took the full part of the quote that they had an issue with, and reported on it.
Where?

Every link in British media that I can find has quotes from different parts of different answers joined together.

To use the one posted in this thread as an example, because it's the one blowing up the most:

"I see how sensitive the British are to racism every day. Two cultures collide because we think a little differently. "

Is from the fourth question and they change both the wording (could be a translation issue, so benefit of the doubt on that one) but also the order of the answer to make it sound like something completely different.

The other quote in British media

"That they want to fight racism is right, of course, but sometimes they go to such an extreme that it’s downright counterproductive"

They managed to cut out all the context both before and even right bang in the middle of this sentence.

mu4c_20le

Where?

Every link in British media that I can find has quotes from different parts of different answers joined together.

To use the one posted in this thread as an example, because it's the one blowing up the most:

"I see how sensitive the British are to racism every day. Two cultures collide because we think a little differently. "

Is from the fourth question and they change both the wording (could be a translation issue, so benefit of the doubt on that one) but also the order of the answer to make it sound like something completely different.

The other quote in British media

"That they want to fight racism is right, of course, but sometimes they go to such an extreme that it’s downright counterproductive"

They managed to cut out all the context both before and even right bang in the middle of this sentence.
The UK are in a big moment of sensitivity with the subject - I see how sensitive the British are to racism every day. It's the same thing. He thinks there are bigger fish to fry out there, like the KKK and other violent racists, so he went on a rant on how sensitive people are being nowadays. While completely ignoring the fact that it was UEFA, a European governing body, that upheld his teammates ban.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How is it ironic? If anything, him immediately getting a stern phonecall from West Ham or his/their PR people to walk it back goes quite far to backing up his point.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

TheReligion

Abusive

Edit - Can't get Reddit to comment link. Here's a screenshot instead.

If this is what he actually said, then once again: feck the media.

I hereby declare him uncancelled.
I'm surprised you don't see anything wrong in that, especially in the "Why do you think it happened this way" response.

He needs much better advisors.

The UK are in a big moment of sensitivity with the subject - I see how sensitive the British are to racism every day. It's the same thing. He thinks there are bigger fish to fry out there, like the KKK and other violent racists, so he went on a rant on how sensitive people are being nowadays. While completely ignoring the fact that it was UEFA, a European governing body, that upheld his teammates ban.
Exactly this. It's a terrible interview whichever way you look at it.

Threesus

Thomas soucek... racist? :nono:I have known him for a long time and he would have never said anything like that. Come on, don’t joke with that one:lol:

On a serious note, he needs better advisors. I am pretty sure kamara wouldn’t have have reacted if something racist was not said.

Barnslig

Thomas soucek... racist? :nono:I have known him for a long time and he would have never said anything like that. Come on, don’t joke with that one:lol:

On a serious note, he needs better advisors. I am pretty sure kamara wouldn’t have have reacted if something racist was not said.
Since when does 'pretty sure' and no evidence proceed to become a ban? Not saying this is it, but no one bar Kamara and Kudela knows what was said, who's to say Kamara didn't pull a Smollett?

Stacks

I'm surprised you don't see anything wrong in that, especially in the "Why do you think it happened this way" response.

He needs much better advisors.

Exactly this. It's a terrible interview whichever way you look at it.
It was actually a reasonable response. We can sometimes become super reductive when dealing with black people. He is touching on critical race theory (inadvertently) which in itself is contentious.

mu4c_20le

I don't think he is racist, at least based on those comments alone. But he definitely seems like one of those . He wasn't there, he didn't hear what was said, but still decided to stick up for his teammate despite the charge. That is misguided. He didn't need to go on that bizarre rant either, it wasn't a good look and sounds very lfc/Suarez. And I thought the UK media did him a favor by not including the part about fake recordings.

Stacks

I don't think he is racist, at least based on those comments alone. But he definitely seems like one of those . He wasn't there, he didn't hear what was said, but still decided to stick up for his teammate despite the charge. That is misguided. He didn't need to go on that bizarre rant either, it wasn't a good look and sounds very lfc/Suarez. And I thought the UK media did him a favor by not including the part about fake recordings.
It would solve everythinf if someone could get hold of the ruling like they did with Evra Suarez. Uefa probably did their investigation like the FA did and possibly found something. When we read the Suarez deets it was pretty clear. So clear on fact that we knew it was nothing like the Cavani situation. I kinda doubt they would just ban him on a "his word against yours" idea. They probably know more than we do

Acole9

Outstanding
Always thought he comes across as a bit of a tit in interviews I've seen on tv.