Television Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan

Sylar

I watched office after this. Now I can't disassociate him away from Jim

RedDevilQuebecois

Looks totally shit, especially when compared to the novels.
Probably, but the books have some kind of attachment with the geopolitical reality of their time. The main difficulty is about how to use current real-life geopolitical flashpoints to build this adaptation. Regardless, shenanigans happening in the Soviet Union and then Russia have always made great novels and movies.

I never digested the negating of Jack's relationship with Cathy Mueller in season 2 when we know how she is central to the whole Jack Ryan character.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Probably, but the books have some kind of attachment with the geopolitical reality of their time. The main difficulty is about how to use current real-life geopolitical flashpoints to build this adaptation. Regardless, shenanigans happening in the Soviet Union and then Russia have always made great novels and movies.

I never digested the negating of Jack's relationship with Cathy Mueller in season 2 when we know how she is central to the whole Jack Ryan character.
The premise of him going rogue is just a bridge too far for me. I agree about Cathy wholeheartedly.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I watched the first 2, It’s so bad but probably a bit less bad than season two, which was so, so bad. But somehow still watchable.

I mean why do all the Russians and Greeks speak English? I guess it speaks to their target audience that they’re afraid to have any subtitles.

RedDevilQuebecois

Enjoyed season 3. Sorta like 24 lite
Same feeling for me as well. But some of the background items to the storyline sure make me laugh a bit considering how far from reality they are.
  • The Russian invasion of Ukraine (in that world) has gone as far as the Slovakian border.
  • Alexei Petrov once said to President Kovac that a number of nations are leaving NATO.
  • The Federation President looks like some kind of Dmitry Medvedev-like figure at best, which is somewhat difficult to explain how and why he would have ordered the invasion of Ukraine when that is more like the stuff for hardliners (like that rogue faction) to do.
I was hoping for Domingo Chavez to make at least an appearance like it was first rumored, but I guess it will have to wait. Now that the 3 seasons have seen ISIS, a Venezuelan dictator and rogue Russians as the antagonists, I wonder which enemy faction will be up in season 4. Nevertheless, having (a group of) Russians always seem to make for the best villains in the Ryanverse like Nazis in the Indiana Jones universe.

Sylar

Same feeling for me as well. But some of the background items to the storyline sure make me laugh a bit considering how far from reality they are.
  • The Russian invasion of Ukraine (in that world) has gone as far as the Slovakian border.
  • Alexei Petrov once said to President Kovac that a number of nations are leaving NATO.
  • The Federation President looks like some kind of Dmitry Medvedev-like figure at best, which is somewhat difficult to explain how and why he would have ordered the invasion of Ukraine when that is more like the stuff for hardliners (like that rogue faction) to do.
I was hoping for Domingo Chavez to make at least an appearance like it was first rumored, but I guess it will have to wait. Now that the 3 seasons have seen ISIS, a Venezuelan dictator and rogue Russians as the antagonists, I wonder which enemy faction will be up in season 4. Nevertheless, having (a group of) Russians always seem to make for the best villains in the Ryanverse like Nazis in the Indiana Jones universe.
Maybe middle East or a home grown coup

SirAnderson

It's mind numbingly awful.
:lol:
Cmon now, that's hardly the case.

Thars more The Equalizer series, kinda description.

The old man Luka was excellent and I enjoyed he's role.

I agreed that it's a like a lite version of 24 because you always get the feeling that no one is really in danger of dying, but I still enjoyed watching it all play out.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I watched the first 2, It’s so bad but probably a bit less bad than season two, which was so, so bad. But somehow still watchable.

I mean why do all the Russians and Greeks speak English? I guess it speaks to their target audience that they’re afraid to have any subtitles.
A lot of Russians, Greeks and others speak English, unlike us English speakers who rarely speak another language!

SirAnderson

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure none of them go around speaking English to each other.
You can't be seriously hold this series to that.
So many series do this.
Unless you hardcore like Chernobyl then you will find quite a few where non native English countries are speaking in English.

I thought the same, as the president of Russia was address he's comrades, but it's the suspension of disbelief. A core necessity for entertainment.

SirAnderson

Season Two devolved into nonsense. Is Season Three really worth the investment?
I think season 2 was pretty forgettable considering as I watched the recap I still couldn't remember much of it.

I must say I did enjoy season 3, but it depends on what exactly you expecting from it. I can see where people would poke holes in it, but it's a solid season that I thought was a good watch. Speaks more that I finished it in a few days.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
So many series do this.
Unless you hardcore like Chernobyl then you will find quite a few where non native English countries are speaking in English.

I thought the same, as the president of Russia was address he's comrades, but it's the suspension of disbelief. A core necessity for entertainment.
It was just an observation.

Show is terrible though.

First season was decent enough but the second and third.. abysmal.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
So many series do this.

In some cases they dub it - that comes with it's own perils

I watched Borgen, a Danish political show a while back, it's in Danish but the dubbing voices they used was really weird, found it hard to take seriously when one of the main characters was speaking with a Geordie accent!

SirAnderson

It was just an observation.

Show is terrible though.

First season was decent enough but the second and third.. abysmal.
You kind of based it's terribleness with that as one of the reasons, which doesn't make sense.

I thought it was great, so yeah. It's not right or wrong. Just giving my thoughts as well.

Each to their own tastes.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think season 2 was pretty forgettable considering as I watched the recap I still couldn't remember much of it.

I must say I did enjoy season 3, but it depends on what exactly you expecting from it. I can see where people would poke holds, but it's a solid season that I thought was a good watch. Speaks more that I finished it in a few days.
I just binged Echo 3 on Apple over the past three nights & am somewhat anxiously awaiting the finale on Friday. I am impressed with it as it is unlike anything else I have ever seen in the genre, albeit it drug along in parts. I recommend it for someone who digs Jack Ryan, 24, etc.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You kind of based it's terribleness with that as one of the reasons, which doesn't make sense.

I thought it was great, so yeah. It's not right or wrong. Just giving my thoughts as well.

I didn't think it was great but nor was it terrible, in a way it's TV version of Mission Impossible

SirAnderson

In some cases they dub it - that comes with it's own perils

I watched Borgen, a Danish political show a while back, it's in Danish but the dubbing voices they used was really weird, found it hard to take seriously when one of the main characters was speaking with a Geordie accent!
Yeah, I don't think I've ever come across a dub that has be of such a high level that I'd prefer it over the original.

When I do watch a non English series, I make that decision knowing I'm watching subs. There are those series that are totally worth it. While others, not so much.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I enjoy the series. Season 1 has been the standout, so I would agree there but otherwise I’m still finding it entertaining.

SirAnderson

I just binged Echo 3 on Apple over the past three nights & am somewhat anxiously awaiting the finale on Friday. I am impressed with it as it is unlike anything else I have ever seen in the genre, albeit it drug along in parts. I recommend it for someone who digs Jack Ryan, 24, etc.
Don't want to derail the thread, but yeah, I've seen it brought up in the recommend a series thread. But any reason it's pulling only 6.6 on imdb?
When it comes to series, I usually only do 8, sometimes below to about a 7 if there are really good reviews despite the lower rating.

I feel like Jack Ryan actually is more a 7/10 than it is a 8 though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don't want to derail the thread, but yeah, I've seen it brought up in the recommend a series thread. But any reason it's pulling only 6.6 on imdb?
When it comes to series, I usually only do 8, sometimes below to about a 7 if there are really good reviews despite the lower rating.

I feel like Jack Ryan actually is more a 7/10 than it is a 8 though.
It’s very much like Zero Dark Thirty (which Mark Bowl also wrote) insomuch as it is told in parts. It also survives on less constant action & somewhat fleshes out characters a bit more which takes time. Its uniqueness holds it back with both sets of reviewers.

I too have a score floor under which I rarely go, but I’m glad I did with this series.

SirAnderson

It’s very much like Zero Dark Thirty (which Mark Bowl also wrote) insomuch as it is told in parts. It also survives on less constant action & somewhat fleshes out characters a bit more which takes time. Its uniqueness holds it back with both sets of reviewers.

I too have a score floor under which I rarely go, but I’m glad I did with this series.
Thanks, it sounds interesting. I do enjoy character development within an overarching storyline.
We usually enjoy similar series I've noticed, so will definitely give it a go.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That’s harsh on MI! I like Jack Ryan but the MI movies - especially the last 2-3, have been really really good, imo.
haven't watched the latest MI films - they're are probably well made and acted but they're also formulaic, as are most of this kind of thing, it's like there's no original though left in Hollywood - MI and the Marvel films and nameless others have been done to death IMO

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
haven't watched the latest MI films - they're are probably well made and acted but they're also formulaic, as are most of this kind of thing, it's like there's no original though left in Hollywood - MI and the Marvel films and nameless others have been done to death IMO
Most recent MI film was easily the best action film I’ve ever seen. Nothing about it felt formulaic.

Now about the Marvel embarrassments, I’m right there with you.

RedDevilQuebecois

I honestly love Zero Dark Thirty. Back on Jack Ryan, anyone who has read at least one of the books knows that they go the same way with different parts to allow the reader to discover more about the characters. It sure is not for everyone, but the formula is good for people already versed in the genre.

John Krasinski, Wendell Pierce and James Cosmo have been the major standouts in this season. Cosmo was the most solid actor as Luka Gocharov - the one playing on both sides and keeping the cards close to his chest in order to unearth the whole conspiracy while on a quest for personal redemption. Big shout to Michael Kelly too for providing some needed comic relief despite how serious his character is when the chips are down.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I honestly love Zero Dark Thirty. Back on Jack Ryan, anyone who has read at least one of the books knows that they go the same way with different parts to allow the reader to discover more about the characters. It sure is not for everyone, but the formula is good for people already versed in the genre.

John Krasinski, Wendell Pierce and James Cosmo have been the major standouts in this season. Cosmo was the most solid actor as Luka Gocharov - the one playing on both sides and keeping the cards close to his chest in order to unearth the whole conspiracy while on a quest for personal redemption. Big shout to Michael Kelly too for providing some needed comic relief despite how serious his character is when the chips are down.
I think you’d dig Echo 3.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep, i'm enjoying it and waiting for the last episode to drop this week! :drool:

Also really enjoyed the terminal list, with chris pratt which was released mid 2022.
I thought it was good as well. Had some blah moments, but kept my attention throughout.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If you're ever bored, give the last 2 MI films a watch, it just gets better imo. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I thought it was good as well. Had some blah moments, but kept my attention throughout.
Yeah, but full disclosure, i love a good, gritty, violent-type ass-kicking vengeance mission, so i'm probably completely biased :lol:

edit: i tried "the old man" but found it a little too slow. looking forward to season 2 of reacher though.

Sylar

Just finished season 3. Really enjoyed it too.

24 is exactly how I felt as well and lite is just as apt. With 24 you felt the stakes were so much more intense.

But still, solid season 3.
Yeah thought it was solid and liked the action scenes. As you said it's no big big danger to the main characters but still entertaining