Tom Cleverley | 2014/15 Performances (on loan at Aston Villa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonwalker

I'm thinking this transfer is on hold, pending a new midfield arrival. We'd be crazy to let him go otherwise.

Not sure what prompts all the vitriol, or the glee at the prospect of him leaving.

saivet

Are we missing something here? .Seems to be in demand.
Jackson says he's on £30k/week. He's on low wages for a United player so plenty of clubs will be able to meet his wage demands I would imagine unlike many of our players.

Smores

People seem to be suggesting his form has dropped off but bar a couple of games early on he's never shown enough ability consistently.
End of the day he's just been taking games away from other youth prospects who deserve a 10th of the chance Cleverly has been given

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People seem to be suggesting his form has dropped off but bar a couple of games early on he's never shown enough ability consistently.
End of the day he's just been taking games away from other youth prospects who deserve a 10th of the chance Cleverly has been given
That's revising history a bit. There was a long period in 11/12 from November through to around February that he formed a partnership with Carrick and we benefited from the stability they both gave us. It was a bod standard 2 man midfield and it worked well.

EDIT - It was 2010/11

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's revising history a bit. There was a long period in 11/12 from November through to around February that he formed a partnership with Carrick and we benefited from the stability they both gave us. It was a bod standard 2 man midfield and it worked well.

EDIT - It was 2010/11
Was that the run that ended when some massive cnut from Bolton (Kevin Davies?) did a number on him?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd be interested to see him at Valencia. If nothing else than to test the hypothesis that "In spain, this type of player is much more appreciated" (I think it may even have been Cleverley talking about himself who said that).

Ekeke

I'd be interested to see him at Valencia. If nothing else than to test the hypothesis that "In spain, this type of player is much more appreciated" (I think it may even have been Cleverley talking about himself who said that).
He did, and if he went to play for Espanyol or someone he might be right.

But you have to actually do it well if you want to be a starter at one of the better spanish teams not the midtable ones. Both Parejo and Fuego pass the ball, sideways or otherwise, better than Cleverley does. And Andre Gomes hasnt played enough games to know whether he does as well.

They just sold Banega to Sevilla on the cheap and he passes the ball a million miles better than Cleverley does.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Was that the run that ended when some massive cnut from Bolton (Kevin Davies?) did a number on him?
I was actually wrong again, it was 2012/13 season that he played regularly with Carrick. It was around the time that his stock had gone down and he came in alongside Carrick and we really got into a rhythm although he obviously wasn't spectacular, he and the team were consistent. As said above that was in 11/12 around October time and he never got going again that season.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I was actually wrong again, it was 2012/13 season that he played regularly with Carrick. It was around the time that his stock had gone down and he came in alongside Carrick and we really got into a rhythm although he obviously wasn't spectacular, he and the team were consistent. As said above that was in 11/12 around October time and he never got going again that season.
Nah, Carrick was amazing that season. Cleverley was alright, I recall Carrick carrying him through games quite a bit. I mean, for large portions of that season he was basically a lone midfielder. It's quite insane how good Carrick was, all things considered.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That 'run' with Anderson was three games....

All he did for that, and the run with Carrick was offer a body in midfield whilst his partner was in great form.

That's what he is, a body, so we don't have to play with 10 men, not much else. Like a generic player on Pro Evo in a team that you get rid of when you patch the game.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Nah, Carrick was amazing that season. Cleverley was alright, I recall Carrick carrying him through games quite a bit. I mean, for large portions of that season he was basically a lone midfielder. It's quite insane how good Carrick was, all things considered.
I don't disagree, I pretty much said as much. He wasn't spectacular but he provided Carrick a partner and was consistent. It's an exaggeration to say Carrick did it alone though, Cleverley facilitated him which is quite funny really because it made Cleverley a facilitator for our main facilitator which pretty much describes everyone's issue with Cleverley.

montpelier

So how many decent games in total do we think he's had then?

Who wants to open the bidding? 60 apps approx is the total according to soccerbase

Do I hear 15?

10 then?

It's not a lot wherever the bar gets set, for me.

Last edited:

Kaos

Jebus, listening to some of you you'd think we have a league two player in our ranks.

People are forgetting he was a youth prospect deemed good enough to be promoted to our first team (back when we were dominating English and European football) and one that's played a considerable number of times in our title winning seasons. Granted, SAF's neglect of midfield but have helped him with that, but it hardly means he's an awful player.

The offers he's receiving shouldn't come as a surprise, its just not worked out for him here and there's no shame in that.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Wow Cleverley, Anderson and Kagawa on the way out. Good times !
Who is taking Anderson? I expected him to remain here until the end of his contract due to lack of takers.

In general I agree that we really aren't in a position to start axing central-midfielders. After the six years that Sir Alex refused to buy a senior central-midfielder, and with Carrick, Herrera and Fellaini injured then our weakest area is looking even weaker than ever before moving on Cleverley and Anderson.

Disappointing that Cleverley hasn't worked out, but probably best for him as a player to move on. If he really has the chance to play in Spain then I'd definitely take it in his position, but my guess is the money on offer here will be better than in Spain at the level being discussed. Also disappointing if he does plan to run-down his contract and leave on a free, but after the Fryers situation then I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise if our youth prospects decide to screw the club for their own benefit - just the way the sport is in England I suppose.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Very harsh on Tom in this thread. I think he could find himself again at a club like Everton or Villa. Clearly there are a few managers out there who think they can do something with him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Very harsh on Tom in this thread. I think he could find himself again at a club like Everton or Villa. Clearly there are a few managers out there who think they can do something with him.
Of course it's harsh, he's the United whipping boy. Some idiot claimed that no big teams would be interested in him and yet it seems he has a host of suitors after his signature. He's a good player needing confidence and a fresh start away from negative influences. If Valencia has gone in for him then that's the club he should be moving too unless Everton/Arsenal make bids.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Of course it's harsh, he's the United whipping boy. Some idiot claimed that no big teams would be interested in him and yet it seems he has a host of suitors after his signature. He's a good player needing confidence and a fresh start away from negative influences. If Valencia has gone in for him then that's the club he should be moving too unless Everton/Arsenal make bids.
I'd go play under Roy Keane at Villa if I was him

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd go play under Roy Keane at Villa if I was him
I wouldn't go near Villa at all. They're relegation fodder, also many of the England fans have already made their minds up that Cleverley is shit, so why would he move to Villa and start with negative attitude from the fans? He'd be best to go to Valencia imo and have a completely fresh start. He'll excel in Spain anyway.

DeMono

Cleverly only earns £30,000 a week which is less than Young's £120k a week. I wouldn't mind keeping him here.

Bojan11

The preferred option for Cleverley, 25, is to head out on loan for the remainder of the season and then leave Louis van Gaal's side on a free next summer.

Running down his contract and being able to move on a free would present the midfielder with the greatest array of options to move on after becoming a peripheral figure under the new manager.
If the greedy fecker does that then don't loan him. Let him rot in the reserves.

We'd be losing £8m if he does that.

OneUnited24

If the greedy fecker does that then don't loan him. Let him rot in the reserves.

We'd be losing £8m if he does that.
I dont think hes greedy for wanting to do that. But it does raise the question of who he thinks will come in for him if he was available on a free - I don't think any top 5 PL or top foreign side would, which makes me think if hes that deluded or wants a move to Tottenham.
Yesterday it was 9m, earlier today 8m, now 7m..... Geez, eventually he'll go for a can of coke and a pack of skittles.
I think it was £9m including addons.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I bet City would try and sign him if he went on a free. He'll make up the numbers for their home grown quota and they know it'll piss us off, which they love doing.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Silly boy if he picks Villa over Valencia. Typical British player

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd snap Valencia's hand off to play there if money wasn't in the equation. He reckons he's rated in Spain due to similar styles of play, great club, great league, go and show it. Only problem is they're broke. Willing to bet Villa have offered by far bigger wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.