Tom Heaton

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Makes sense if true - he'll either be the best 3rd choice goalkeeper around by a mile, or a decent 2nd choice behind Henderson if De Gea is off.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can he hold up a sub board like Lee Grant though?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
2 of Grant, Romero and DDG leaving then? Heaton would be a decent backup.

Chairman Steve

I am very interested in the domino effect that this transfer could cause. I’m assuming Romero is already a goner and DDG increasingly so... so Henderson, Heaton and Grant as the three keepers next season?

Is Grant going to Tony Coton it, and end up being closer to being a goalie coach rather than a player, before officially becoming a goalie coach?

On a side note, how many teams at the top level can say their two main goalies were from their own academy?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I am very interested in the domino effect that this transfer could cause. I’m assuming Romero is already a goner and DDG increasingly so... so Henderson, Heaton and Grant as the three keepers next season?

Is Grant going to Tony Coton it, and end up being closer to being a goalie coach rather than a player, before officially becoming a goalie coach?
I would think that's the plan. And a lot of money saved on wages in the process.

WPMUFC

On a side note, how many teams at the top level can say their two main goalies were from their own academy?
where's DDG supposed to be off to? i've haven't seen any credible rumours for destination clubs? My first assumption would be Lee and Romero out the door and Heaton in as 3rd.

Selbourne

We've let some good goalkeepers go that's gone on to make a great career for themselves haven't we

lysglimt

Scout
We've let some good goalkeepers go that's gone on to make a great career for themselves haven't we
In terms of goalkeepers we have by far been the best club at producing them over the last 20 years.

Ron R Zieler, Heaton, Henderson, Johnstone, Luke Steele, Ben Amos....

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't think we'll get rid of De Gea at all, especially as Heaton is definitely not a second choice keeper at 35.

Suspect it'll be Hendo, De Gea and Heaton, in that order.

Edit - Romero is already dead.

Rossa

Great careers? Which goalies have made better careers than they would at United, and who would we have missed? Obviously, anyone playing in the top leagues making a ton of money doing what they love have made a great career, but, still...

acnumber9

He was a decent keeper a few years ago, but if he’s coming in as number 2 that is a huge drop off.

Selbourne

Great careers? Which goalies have made better careers than they would at United, and who would we have missed? Obviously, anyone playing in the top leagues making a ton of money doing what they love have made a great career, but, still...
I'm not going out to argue with you mate wtf. I'm not having a dig a United just happy at the coaches that worked on our goalkeepers that's it

We have potentially 3 keepers leaving this summer. Grant, Romero and DDG.

Looks like a good insurance policy to get someone in quickly. Not sure whether he would be no 2 or no 3. But capable of doing either.

Just looked up his career stats. Surprised that he never made an appearance for us, assumed he would have played a league cup tie or similar.

Also he’s made 20 appearances for villa this year - which is a surprising amount. Should be able to judge how good he still is, based on that.

Hughes35

Can only presume this means DDG is off?

Big make or break season for Henderson then. Would make him the out and out No1

CM

He'll be in the Lee Grant role I think. I read something a couple of weeks ago saying he's not getting a new deal, and Romero's on his way too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very much showing our hand that De Gea is going as I highly doubt Heaton's coming to be Lee Grants replacement as 3rd choice

Good signing though, solid enough number 2

arthurka

He was a very good keeper before his injury. A very solid choice as a backup.

laughtersassassin

Very much showing our hand that De Gea is going as I highly doubt Heaton's coming to be Lee Grants replacement as 3rd choice

I mean if De Gea going allows us to get a RW CDM and CB then it's hard to say that's a bad thing tbh.

Probably a tough ask with how our club is run.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A retirement home for ancient GK. Might as well sign van der sar, at least he can replace Ed if it goes badly.

Nickelodeon

Why not? He never plays for Villa and is 35 now. If he’s going to be our 2nd keeper, then it’ll be a huge risk.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean if De Gea going allows us to get a RW CDM and CB then it's hard to say that's a bad thing tbh.

Probably a tough ask with how our club is run.
I doubt anyone is buying De Gea, he'll go out on loan with us paying a large % of his wage like we did with Sanchez. It's something that suits all parties tbh, he gets first team football and hopefully rediscovers his best form and then if it all goes tits up with Henderson we simple recall him at the end of the season. And if it doesn't go tits up with Henderson and De Gea's done good then we get a decent transfer fee for him

Dante

Average bang
Can only presume this means DDG is off?

Big make or break season for Henderson then. Would make him the out and out No1
Yep. This is our last chance to get any kind of transfer fee for him, or else get lumbered with his huge wages for years to come.

Whether Henderson sinks or swims remains to be seen. But even if he fails to cement his place, we'll get decent money for him next summer.

This goalkeeper strategy is spot on from United, imo.

laughtersassassin

I doubt anyone is buying De Gea, he'll go out on loan with us paying a large % of his wage like we did with Sanchez. It's something that suits all parties tbh, he gets first team football and hopefully rediscovers his best form and then if it all goes tits up with Henderson we simple recall him at the end of the season. And if it doesn't go tits up with Henderson and De Gea's done good then we get a decent transfer fee for him
Maybe, maybe PSG might take a punt on him after Navas shocking performance in the CL.

At the very least it's a lot of wages we don't have to pay.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
A very good keeper so would be happy with this. Would be quite cool to have Hendo and Heaton as our two main keepers, both academy products.

Does make me think De Gea might be off though.