Tomasz Kuszczak could quit Manchester United

Kelvin

Tomasz Kuszczak has admitted he will be forced to look for a Manchester United exit route if he does not play often enough.

Kuszczak is now in his sixth season at Old Trafford but will be making only his 53rd appearance when he lines up for tonight's Carling Cup tie at Scunthorpe.

As Edwin van der Sar's standards show no sign of dipping despite the Dutch veteran approaching his 40th birthday, and speculation persisting about possible replacements when he does eventually call time on his stellar career, it could be regarded as an unsettling time for Kuszczak.

The 28-year-old Pole is remaining focused on his immediate task.

However, having seen Ben Foster prosper since he quit United for Birmingham in the summer by winning his place back within the international fold, Kuszczak realises he may eventually be forced to reach the same conclusion.

"I could understand Ben's position," Kuszczak told the Manchester Evening News.

"He wanted to move because he wanted regular football and he wanted to play for England.

"But if I don't get enough games I will have to do the same as Ben.

"The years are going by and I will be 29 after this season. I want to enjoy football and I want to play."

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's fair enough. I think i can relate to him with his age edging up and doing nothing at the moment, and it doesn't look like he'll be doing anything soon.

I guess it's best for both parties to part, besides, as much as we rate him, we know he's not good enough to be #1 for a long time.

ciderman9000000

Understandable. It'd be a real shame though; i've always liked PIG and he's a top class, dependable backup keeper; we'd struggle to find a keeper as good as he is to play stand-in.

Crustanoid

Goalkeepers another position we're going to have to majorly invest in very soon. Hope those Glazers are willing to part with substantial funds in the near future

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
Fair enough. I can never understand young keepers like Ross turnbull or brad jones signing for big clubs knowing they'll hardly ever play. Keepers like Stuart Taylor have wasted careers that way. Asmir begovic appears to be the next obe happy to waste his career away for the next signing on fee.

decorativeed

Tomasz Kuszczak has admitted he will be forced to look for a Manchester United exit route if he does not play often enough.

Kuszczak is now in his sixth season at Old Trafford but will be making only his 53rd appearance when he lines up for tonight's Carling Cup tie at Scunthorpe.
Erm, no he's not.

SecondFig

Can't say I blame him, he's never going to be good enough to be our first choice, and I'm sure he knows that when VdS retires we'll be buying in a new keeper.

Reserve keeper is always such a difficult position to fill well, as it requires such a sacrifice of ambition by that player

Amir

It's rather annual, isn't it? He says he'll go if he doesn't get enough games, end of the season arrives, we figure he could go, then we probably realise he's happy enough with playing the amount of games he gets for a club like United, and he stays. Then he says he'll go if he doesn't get enough games... Oh, you get the drift.

Devilton

I wouldn't blame him if he left. Frankly, I'd rather he did because an extended run will prove while he's a capable #2, he's never going to be good enough to be a long term #1.
Hopefully we'll have found a long term replacement for EVS by the time PIG decides he needs to move on.

Cina

No complaints. Always so tough to be a backup keeper, seeing as the #1 keeper can play just about every game of the season without breaking sweat usually, unless there's an injury or some such.

Been a good servant to the club, it'll be a shame to see him inevitably go.

Which begs another question, will Amos be good enough as a backup?

Sw33t

I don't blame him at all, as I didn't blame Foster. Both would be good keepers for sides like Birmingham, Bolton, Wigan and they'd be guarenteed to start if they went somewhere like that.

If he does decide to leave, good luck to him, if he stays on for longer then I hope he gets games against the lower opposition and in early cup games. He's by no means a VDS replacement, but a very good backup. Did us well last year when Edwin was out.

Berlinknives

I don't blame him at all, as I didn't blame Foster. Both would be good keepers for sides like Birmingham, Bolton, Wigan and they'd be guarenteed to start if they went somewhere like that.

If he does decide to leave, good luck to him, if he stays on for longer then I hope he gets games against the lower opposition and in early cup games. He's by no means a VDS replacement, but a very good backup. Did us well last year when Edwin was out.
Think we'll struggle to get nearly as good a keeper as Van der Sar to start, I honestly think Kuszczak should get a chance to compete with any new signing that United bring in, because in comparison to Edwin the new guy will also be considered "second rate" and Kuszczak's loyalty should be rewarded. In all honestly I'm concerned we'd never get a goalkeeper as good as Kuszczak with the Glazier's constraints either.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Which is impressive, althoughhe will have played against a lot of second rate sides.
Because I'm avoiding doing uni work, the clean sheets were against

Watford (PL)
Charlton (PL)
Boro (FA Cup)
Sheffield United (PL)
Chelsea (PL - in a dead rubber though)
Roma (CL)
Wigan (PL)
Sunderland (PL)
Birmingham (PL)
Bolton (PL)
Villa (PL)
West Ham (PL)
QPR (CC)
Villareal (CL)
Hull City (PL)
Wolves (CC)
Spurs (CC)
West Ham (PL)
Wolves (PL)
Wigan (PL)

So 1 in the FA Cup, 3 in the Carling Cup, 2 in the Champions League and 14 in the Premier League.

Sw33t

Think we'll struggle to get nearly as good a keeper as Van der Sar to start, I honestly think Kuszczak should get a chance to compete with any new signing that United bring in, because in comparison to Edwin the new guy will also be considered "second rate" and Kuszczak's loyalty should be rewarded. In all honestly I'm concerned we'd never get a goalkeeper as good as Kuszczak with the Glazier's constraints either.
His loyalty should be rewarded, I agree. But with the #1 shirt and starting every week? I don't know, all depends if we can find anyone better which like you say might be hard. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was the first name on the team-sheet every week but I think we should try and get a proper class act. Who knows what might happen this summer or the next?

One thing is for certain though, I'd miss saying we have a PIG in our squad.

Berlinknives

His loyalty should be rewarded, I agree. But with the #1 shirt and starting every week? I don't know, all depends if we can find anyone better which like you say might be hard. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was the first name on the team-sheet every week but I think we should try and get a proper class act. Who knows what might happen this summer or the next?

One thing is for certain though, I'd miss saying we have a PIG in our squad.
I just remember the time when Bosnich and Taibi were signed and United ended up having to use Van der Gouw as a stop gap number 1. Kuszczak is better than all three of them.

fadas

Fair enough. I can never understand young keepers like Ross turnbull or brad jones signing for big clubs knowing they'll hardly ever play. Keepers like Stuart Taylor have wasted careers that way. Asmir begovic appears to be the next obe happy to waste his career away for the next signing on fee.

Aye ... a huge signing on fee, probably doubling/trebling his wages, moving from that shithole to London, a few years as understudy (assuming Cech doesn't get injured) before another move and signing on fee to set up the retirement plan for 40 years of age... he must be mental.

Berlinknives

Aye ... a huge signing on fee, probably doubling/trebling his wages, moving from that shithole to London, a few years as understudy (assuming Cech doesn't get injured) before another move and signing on fee to set up the retirement plan for 40 years of age... he must be mental.
Plus he was warming the bench at Boro anyway after he got greedy! :D

quethenoo

Could be, he's a bit overrated though.

That 19 year old from Athletico Madrid, De Gea, looks like a real gem. Getting mass amounts of praise.
he was nothing short of amazing against barca at the weekend, four or five times he kept them in the game, not sure what he like all the time mind.

ralphie88

Brad Jones is shit though, wasn't good enough for Blackpool when they were in Division 3.

As for PIG, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's a good backup, not good enough to be first choice.

The only worry when/if he goes is that we may be replacing both of our keepers. It would be a risk to completely overhaul the keeping position in one summer.