Toni Kroos

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Nagelsmann must not have had many friends growing up, so now he has to surround himself with players that are the same age as him in Kroos, Hummels and Mueller.

KeanoMagicHat

Where does Kroos fit in these days? They’ve got Kimmich, Goretzka, Gundogan there. Can Kimmich play right back anymore?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Where does Kroos fit in these days? They’ve got Kimmich, Goretzka, Gundogan there. Can Kimmich play right back anymore?
The question is rather if he wants to ;)

I'd play a 3-4-3:

Füllkrug
Wirtz Musiala
Sané Kroos Gündogan Kimmich
Hummels Tah Rüdiger
Neuer

RoyH1

I'm really surprised at the contrasting views on him from German and non-German posters. For the latter he's one of the finest midfielders this century, whilst for the former he's an arrogant waste of space and a wasted spot on the NT. Must be something one can only understand from his German language interviews and local insiders who know the workings of the NT better than your typical football journo.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm really surprised at the contrasting views on him from German and non-German posters. For the latter he's one of the finest midfielders this century, whilst for the former he's an arrogant waste of space and a wasted spot on the NT. Must be something one can only understand from his German language interviews and local insiders who know the workings of the NT better than your typical football journo.
Even for me as a German it doesn't make sense. He only has the Euro 2012 against him, where he was destroyed by Pirlo, but that's generally seen as at least as much Löw's tactical mistake.

However it seems that the label "Querpass-Toni" (sideway pass Toni) stuck which Hoeneß once gave him as an explanation why Bayern wouldn't pay him the money he wanted, which resulted in Kroos moving to Madrid.

This was stupid then and ten years later is simply ridiculous and I honestly believe that only those Germans still repeat it who are only very casually interested in football.

JogaBonitoRooney

He's not as great as everyone thinks. Been lucky to play in some top teams during their top eras. He's reliable and solid in possession but can't carry the ball much. He can make good or decent passes and make himself available in space often but doesn't have great attacking prowess. Doesn't score much but when he does it's a lovely grounded pass into the bottom corner. Nothing special with tackling and defence either.

His career could've easily gone another way with less accolades. He's not an all time great centre midfielder is my point.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Kimmich will play RB, just read an interview where Nagelsmann stated this. He even hinter at Kimmich playing RB even if Kroos wouldn't return. He generally seems to be pretty fed up by some players and pundits who all think they/the players were better than they actually are.

Should result in some pretty interesting nominations I think.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It’s mostly Bayern fans who are bitter that he left us who are talking like that.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Kroos is a great baller, but he needs a specific set-up and in the German national team that was next to tactical masterminds and physical specimens like Schweinsteiger and Khedira. Kroos is 34 years old now. Gündogan is 33 years old. Kroos and Gündogan were never doing the dirty work in his prime. They are 8/10 type players that can function in the D/ZM role under the right set-up. You think Kimmich, who thinks very highly of himself is that dirty work partner? And none of them is an actual leader. They are great players, but not great leaders. Then you got the mess in the back that is Schlowerbeck and Snaimmels behind this sieve of a midfield.

This is going to be a total and utter disaster. They literally tried this combination of players in the 2018 World Cup. Slightly different formation but Neuer, Kimmich, Hummels, Müller, Goretzka, Kroos were all starters, when Germany crashed out. Afterwards the conclusion was that the team was too old and slow. This is football not wine. It doesn´t get better after age 30.

I don´t blame these players for wanting to play a Euros at home late in their careers. It´s on the coach. Nagelsmann will play all three of Gündogan, Krros and Kimmich. Not a pragamtic bone in his body. If we go far in this tournament it will be by scorelines of 5-3, 3-2, 4-3 and Florian Wirtz will have his coming out party as the best player in the world. Cause with our in-ept strikers,he´ll have to score 1 goal per game and create a dozen "empty netters" for ourt inept strikers.

KeanoMagicHat

He's not as great as everyone thinks. Been lucky to play in some top teams during their top eras. He's reliable and solid in possession but can't carry the ball much. He can make good or decent passes and make himself available in space often but doesn't have great attacking prowess. Doesn't score much but when he does it's a lovely grounded pass into the bottom corner. Nothing special with tackling and defence either.

His career could've easily gone another way with less accolades. He's not an all time great centre midfielder is my point.
"Solid in possession" haha. One of the best passers of all time. Just ask Paul Scholes.

Best midfielder of the 2014 World Cup. And nobody is lucky to play regularly for Real Madrid for 10 years.

Kroos is a great baller, but he needs a specific set-up and in the German national team that was next to tactical masterminds and physical specimens like Schweinsteiger and Khedira. Kroos is 34 years old now. Gündogan is 33 years old. Kroos and Gündogan were never doing the dirty work in his prime. They are 8/10 type players that can function in the D/ZM role under the right set-up. You think Kimmich, who thinks very highly of himself is that dirty work partner? And none of them is an actual leader. They are great players, but not great leaders. Then you got the mess in the back that is Schlowerbeck and Snaimmels behind this sieve of a midfield.

This is going to be a total and utter disaster. They literally tried this combination of players in the 2018 World Cup. Slightly different formation but Neuer, Kimmich, Hummels, Müller, Goretzka, Kroos were all starters, when Germany crashed out. Afterwards the conclusion was that the team was too old and slow. This is football not wine. It doesn´t get better after age 30.

I don´t blame these players for wanting to play a Euros at home late in their careers. It´s on the coach. Nagelsmann will play all three of Gündogan, Krros and Kimmich. Not a pragamtic bone in his body. If we go far in this tournament it will be by scorelines of 5-3, 3-2, 4-3 and Florian Wirtz will have his coming out party as the best player in the world. Cause with our in-ept strikers,he´ll have to score 1 goal per game and create a dozen "empty netters" for ourt inept strikers.
Nagelsmann has already announced that Kimmich won't play in midfield and that he wants more hard-working players in the team for balance.

tentan

Poor man's poster.

I'd play a 3-4-3:

Füllkrug
Wirtz Musiala
Hummels Tah Rüdiger
Neuer

Strange how bad Germany are considering how much talent they have.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

I'd play a 3-4-3:

Füllkrug
Wirtz Musiala
Hummels Tah Rüdiger
Neuer

I like the formation and most player choices.

A Kroos-Gündogan pivot will work as good as the Kimmich-Kroos or Kimmich-Gündogan pairings in the past...so...not good.
They lack physicality and speed and are far too similar in the way they move and spaces they occupy.
Id put Groß or Andrich next to Kroos.

If Sané doesnt get back in form we have to go with Mittstädt or Gosens there.

If Nagelsmann sticks to his very high defense line Hummels cant play, although he is having a very good season.
Maybe Anton instead?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Strange how bad Germany are considering how much talent they have.
We lack a great striker, we lack great fullbacks, we lack consistent wingers and we lack a great DM.

And this generation is also physically and mentally not on the level of previous generations.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
"Solid in possession" haha. One of the best passers of all time. Just ask Paul Scholes.

Best midfielder of the 2014 World Cup. And nobody is lucky to play regularly for Real Madrid for 10 years.
Yeah, that was a horrible take by that guy. A "decent" passer. :lol: Kroos is also incredibly press-resistant.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

Good news for us.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Good news for us.
Would you still regard Kroos as a guaranteed starter for you this season or would like Camavinga/Valverde to play more than him, especially the bigger games?

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Would you still regard Kroos as a guaranteed starter for you this season or would like Camavinga/Valverde to play more than him, especially the bigger games?
They are all starters really.

Vini-Rodrygo
——Jude——
Kroos-Cama-Valverde

Tchou has been making minutes as CB and alternating with Cama otherwise (injuries, suspensions). They all make enough minutes, Fede especially will always play. We had a double pivot of Kroos-Fede for some time. Kroos is a guaranteed starter no doubt.

When he does eventually retire, it’s gonna suck so much :(:(

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They are all starters really.

Vini-Rodrygo
——Jude——
Kroos-Cama-Valverde

Tchou has been making minutes as CB and alternating with Cama otherwise (injuries, suspensions). They all make enough minutes, Fede especially will always play. We had a double pivot of Kroos-Fede for some time. Kroos is a guaranteed starter no doubt.

When he does eventually retire, it’s gonna suck so much :(:(
Ah okay, yea I remember initially Jude was playing almost as a striker, but then Joselu also came in for a few games. Thanks.

It's funny, every now and then he has a game where his lack of athletism gets exposed and people say he's finished etc, but then his class remains in most games. He has to be supported with other midfielders, like Pirlo at Juve.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Madridismo is reacting to that news like we won another CL

What do you think :D

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Ah okay, yea I remember initially Jude was playing almost as a striker, but then Joselu also came in for a few games. Thanks.

It's funny, every now and then he has a game where his lack of athletism gets exposed and people say he's finished etc, but then his class remains in most games. He has to be supported with other midfielders, like Pirlo at Juve.
He does indeed need someone like Fede / Cama to do most of the dirty work (Fede could run 5 more errands for Carlo while bombing up and down all over the pitch, some stamina he has).

But this season Kroos looks better in that department as well, still has some of those games as mentioned but it has improved.

And what he offers on the ball can not be understated. I just feel relaxed when he’s on the ball (not to jinx it now…). Helps us transition and build-up, always finds the correct solution under pressure, knows when to speed up the tempo or slow it down, orchestrates the game all over the pitch. Been brilliant this season.

Sadly it does look like Modric will move or retire :(