Top 4 or win one or more of the Europa League, FA Cup or League Cup?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Haven't see a dedicated thread on this. I've seen lots of comments about fielding weaker teams in certain matches to concentrate on finishing top 4

What do you think is the most important goal and why?

I'm old school, I don't believe our main aim should ever be to finish in the top 4 ahead of winning a trophy.

BlueHaze

It 100% must be CL qualification, a good manager like Ten Hag belongs at that stage and he 100% wants to be there with his team. We have a very realistic chance this season of finishing top 4 and at least win the league cup.

I really do not fancy the europa league. Those 2 games against Barcelona will drain the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would say top 4 is pretty comfortable where we can focus on other competitions normally and we'd still finish top 4 with a health gap to 5th.

SAFMUTD

Top 4 should be the main focus, winning a cup would be a nice touch but lets secure top 4 before anything.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Top four is the most important thing this season.

lex talionis

Top four is imperative. Anything else is icing on the cake. Not even a debate.

bosskeano

Top 4 and League Cup
agreed....Top 4 should absolutely be the priority and main focus. Don't let the FA Cup become a distraction and I don't think we get passed Barcelona over the two legs.

We have a very good chance of winning the mickey mouse cup

croadyman

agreed....Top 4 should absolutely be the priority and main focus. Don't let the FA Cup become a distraction and I don't think we get passed Barcelona over the two legs.

We have a very good chance of winning the mickey mouse cup
We need out of Europa because just maybe then it could allow us some free weeks and chance to improve second half showings by being fitter.

I also have concerns about the FA Cup as well because our thin squad is gassing and a run in it could see us drop crucial league points.

Last edited:

fallengt

Top 4 is a must. This season liverpool, chelsea, Tottenham are all underperforming. There's no excuse for us.

We're not winning epl, europa league with 9+ gd. This team is simply not there. League cup maybe is up 4 us to grab but im not going to lose sleep if we dont.

bosskeano

We need out of Europa because just maybe then it could allow us some free weeks and chance to improve second half showings by being fitter.

I also have concerns about the FA Cup as well because our thin squad is gassing and a run in it could see us drop crucial league points.
Don't expect us to get past Barca when that comes back next month so march-may will be a sole focus on the league....FA Cup should be playing some of the kids to give them minutes like pellestri, elanga, mainoo or whichever younger guys are around that are attacking players

we have plenty of defenders to rotate and keep everyone fresh. it's the front 3 that concerns me the most especially with Sancho basically out of action since october

Frank Grimes

We're 1/9 for top 4 and 12/1 to win Europa Cup. Ditch the useless Europa and let's put all our eggs in domestic competitions. We are already in semi of league Cup and should get through to 5th round of FA Cup. Europa is a nuisance this season more than any. We can still try our best v Barca but with our second string.

bringbackbebe

Playing well and winning the next game should be the main focus every time. Cups and positions is a by product and will follow.

croadyman

We're 1/9 for top 4 and 12/1 to win Europa Cup. Ditch the useless Europa and let's put all our eggs in domestic competitions. We are already in semi of league Cup and should get through to 5th round of FA Cup. Europa is a nuisance this season more than any. We can still try our best v Barca but with our second string.
Yeah wouldn't be gutted to lose that because already running on fumes and could get worse

JustKatie

Win the Europa League as number one for me.
Into the CL and a big trophy, then top four then either of the cups, I mean in preference.

Sadly we're in a position where we need that Champions League money over anything else so I'll go for the way in that gives you a cup.

Tap

If we can only pick one, in order of preference, it would be: EL trophy, top 4, FA cup, league cup

The domestic cups are less prestigious, deliver less cash prize and only offers EL qualification, unlike the EL trophy.

croadyman

If we can only pick one, in order of preference, it would be: EL trophy, top 4, FA cup, league cup

The domestic cups are less prestigious, deliver less cash prize and only offers EL qualification, unlike the EL trophy.
Quick question how does this squad cope with all the games that Europa League entails

ATXRedDevil

Really odd line of thinking. Fergie never gave up the league.
Not weird at all. Ain’t no trophies for finishing 3rd or 4th. If you ain’t first, you’re last. We’re not winning the league. What matters, if one is being objective and pragmatic, is we qualify for the champions league next year. You would take 4th + no trophy over 5th and the Europa league? That’s just asinine.

RkkMan

I'd happily forego the EL and put all our focus on top 4 and the domestic cups. We simply don't have the squad depth to compete in all 4 competitions and the EL signifies the biggest inconvenience due to having to play twice a week. I don't see us having enough to beat Barcelona on their current form anyway so wouldn't lose sleep if they knocked us out
We're 2 wins away from the Carabao Cup Final which we're massive favorites for, in a solid 3rd Position in the PL and we should be proceeding to the FA Cup 5th round. Those 3 should be our main focus

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Top 4 and League Cup
With you on this one. They’re both very realistic targets this season. Top 4 will allow us to attract the players we want next season. And we should be aiming for every trophy we can.

Bwuk

It’s better to win the Europa than finish 2nd.

You get into Pot 1 of the CL for winning Europa.

Kramer

Top 4 for me personally. Would be great to win a Cup, but I think getting into top 4 might influence our ability to attract better footballers and hence become better in the long run.

Also, we belong in the Champions League!

Tap

Quick question how does this squad cope with all the games that Europa League entails
The assumption is if only one of the above is achievable. Play strong teams in the league and gradually stronger teams in the EL when the team progresses further in the competition.

Give up on the FA and league cups. Play the kids and subs in those comps.

dinostar77

Top 4, qualification for CL is a must. Otherwise we are hampered in transfer market by uefa rules.

Couldnt care less about league cup or fa cup.

Europa league qould be nice, but i dont think we have the squad and rest time between games t get top 4 and make europa league final.

Longshanks

Priority for the season is CL Qualification and the best way of doing that is Top 4. Europa League is a good back up, but cup competitions can be a lottery so we don't want to be relying on it.

Master of our own destiny with top 4 in the league and the cups are just a nice bonus, If you make it in to the latter stages then you should commit and go for them, but all it takes is a bad draw or dodgy ref decision to end your run.

RkkMan

The assumption is if only one of the above is achievable. Play strong teams in the league and gradually stronger teams in the EL when the team progresses further in the competition.

Give up on the FA and league cups. Play the kids and subs in those comps.
We're much closer to winning the League Cup than any other competition. Getting past Barcelona won't be easy and we have an easy FA Cup tie which if we win puts us a step closer to a Final too
Considering we're on a 5+ yr trophy drought we're not in a position to discard a genuine chance to win silverware especially in Ten Hag's first season by "playing the kids"

mu4c_20le

Not weird at all. Ain’t no trophies for finishing 3rd or 4th. If you ain’t first, you’re last. We’re not winning the league. What matters, if one is being objective and pragmatic, is we qualify for the champions league next year. You would take 4th + no trophy over 5th and the Europa league? That’s just asinine.
We are currently 10 points ahead of Chelsea/Liverpool. To lose out on top 4 would take some kind of collapse. I agree that in some scenarios, we can rest one or two players, but I would never "not care" about the league. Even if we manage to win the EL, it's embarrassing to drop down to 5th or 6th in the league. It would definitely have a negative effect on the team as well.

The EL is a nice little safety net if we can get past barca, but we should not prioritize it. Finishing top 4 also has an added benefit of denying one of our rivals a spot.

RkkMan

Top 4, qualification for CL is a must. Otherwise we are hampered in transfer market by uefa rules.

Couldnt care less about league cup or fa cup.

Europa league qould be nice, but i dont think we have the squad and rest time between games t get top 4 and make europa league final.
I'm staying tight lipped on the FA Cup as we might get a tough tie but I'd be VERY disappointed if we don't win the League Cup even if we finish top 4. A trophy in ten Hag's first season would be such a massive mentality booster like when we won it in 2006
We've not won anything for half a decade and we're in a 2 legged semi against the weakest team in the competition. If we get to the final we face Newcastle or Southampton both of whom we should be beating at our very best