Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Riz

I'm guessing because by the middle of our match Ole will know what sort of job we need to do against West Ham and can make the necessary subs vs Chelsea accordingly.

For example if Leicester win then there's a real possibility that we'll need to make serious ground up in our GD vs West Ham to have a chance on the last day and Ole won't want to risk/tire Bruno, Martial, Rashford etc..

However if Spurs win then we'll only need a win or draw vs West Ham to ensure that we only need a draw on the last day to make the top 4.

Although the Leicester/Spurs result won't be known by the time our line up has to be announced, we will at least know by kick off at Wembley what may be necessary against West Ham and then can plan the subs to fit.

EDIT: It's not a massive advantage to be honest since the Chelsea match vs Liverpool isn't until next week and that will also play a major role in what we need to do on the final day anyway.

Riz

If Leicester lose, your game against them becomes less important and you can pick a stronger side against Chelsea.
Not quite as we'll have to announce our line up by 5:00 which will be kick off of the second half for Spurs/Leicester. But we will be able to plan any second half subs with the result known.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
At this point Chelsea are surely the outsiders. They have to go play the Dipper's in Dipperfield before they lift their Covid title, defending a 57 game unbeaten run and having lost the last game. On top of that they have conceded 49 goals this season, only 4 less then bloody Brighton. Absolute best result Chelsea are getting is 1 point and I reckon it will be more likely to 3-0/4-1 Dippers. After that they then have Wolves who are a very well drilled side who will be well rested. Just look at what Sheff Utd did to Chelsea. Seriously I cannot see them getting anything out of that game as Nuno will have them running in rings.

On the same round Chelsea play the Dipper's Leicester are playing Spurs who blow hot and cold and Utd play WHU who have been dire all season as their last few good results have been against Norwich and Chelsea's weak arse defence. I cannot predict the Leicester score but Utd will roll WHU over by at least two goals.

For me, going into the last round of games it will be:

Utd - 65
Leicester - 63
Chelsea - 63

That will mean Utd will qualify even if they lose to Leicester as Chelsea will lose to Wolves. At the very worst Chelsea may get a point somewhere along the line, which will still mean Utd are through.
I mean, you're wrong, but ok:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If Leicester lose, your game against them becomes less important and you can pick a stronger side against Chelsea.
It won't. Even if Leicester lose and we win against West Ham, it will go to last match day.

If leicester and us both lose then all Leicester need is a draw on last day
If Leicester lose and we win, then all we need is a draw.

So Leicester losing game against Spurs shouldn't have any impact on our team selection.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Feckin Southampton.

Concede NINE goals against Leicester, proceed to play the game of their lives against us, and then bottle it against relegation fodder the next game.
:lol: I forgot about that 9 nil game. Bloody Southampton. Singlehandedly giving Leicester such a GD boost.

It's all on Spurs now. Come on your twats!

Alemar

Does anyone know whether away goal rule applies to head to head criterion?

zenith

I hope that ole and the rest of the squad are approaching this with the mindset that of we won our next two, we are in the top 4.

These possibilities and combinations are best left to fans and I'm sure if they get in the players head, then it might be a bit much.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It won't. Even if Leicester lose and we win against West Ham, it will go to last match day.

If leicester and us both lose then all Leicester need is a draw on last day
If Leicester lose and we win, then all we need is a draw.

So Leicester losing game against Spurs shouldn't have any impact on our team selection.
Of course, I forget you are only on 62 points. Hard to see from this lofty 63. :wenger:

Siorac

Feckin Southampton.

Concede NINE goals against Leicester, proceed to play the game of their lives against us, and then bottle it against relegation fodder the next game.
In their defence, they did beat Leicester away.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Depending on GD, we may also be in a position to lose by one goal in this case
Yeah but that means we should win by good margin against West Ham and also Spurs to win at least with 2 goals.

Alemar

Yeah but that means we should win by good margin against West Ham and also Spurs to win at least with 2 goals.
of course, but it’s totally possible for Spurs to win by 2 and us winning by 3 or 4. Nothing improbable

Josh 76

The two guarantees are:

Chelsea wont win at Liverpool
Leicester won't win at Spurs

Make of that what you want.

VanTheMan10

New rules came into play for this season.

It will mean if two or more clubs finish level on points when competing for the title, Champions League or Europa League places, or when relegation is at stake, their records in head-to-head matches will now be used to separate them.

Chicharito_

If United and Leicester only need a point in the last game would we be allowed to just play out a 0-0?

Riz

New rules came into play for this season.

It will mean if two or more clubs finish level on points when competing for the title, Champions League or Europa League places, or when relegation is at stake, their records in head-to-head matches will now be used to separate them.
No. Goal difference will decide it, then goals scored.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So, if West Ham beat Watford and Bournemouth fail to beat Southampton/Aston Villa fail to beat Arsenal, that's West Ham safe before they face us.
If West Ham win, they're safe regardless due to their superior goal difference

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thank you. It’s actually in our favour (away goals in this instance)
Wait apologies, do you mean away goals overall? That is not the case. The order is this:

Goals scored
Head to head record
Head to head goal difference
Head to head away goals

If all of that is tied, then it goes to a playoff. That's why the results I listed have to be the exact scores.

EDIT: removed head to head goals scored as it's irrelevant; cheers @Riz for catching that

Last edited:

Riz

We may end up having same GD and goals scored with Leicester, so this is actually a possibility
Yes but that's not what he said. He said if we finish level on points it goes to head to head.

Alemar

Wait apologies, do you mean away goals overall? That is not the case. The order is this:

Goals scored
Head to head record
Head to head goals scored
Head to head away goals

If all of that is tied, then it goes to a playoff. That's why the results I listed have to be the exact scores.
i meant away goals in a head to head. We won 1-0 atOld trafford, so if we lose to Leicester by 1 goal, we may still lose 1-2 or 2-3 and it will get us through on head to head away goals.

Riz

Goals scored
Head to head record
Head to head goals scored

Head to head away goals

That doesn't make sense, if you have the same head to head GD you must have the same goals scored?

Suv666

The combinations dont matter. What we have to do is win both our fixtures.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
i meant away goals in a head to head. We won 1-0 atOld trafford, so if we lose to Leicester by 1 goal, we may still lose 1-2 or 2-3 and it will get us through on head to head away goals.
Gotcha yes, that makes sense as you still have an opportunity to get a more valuable goal.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The two guarantees are:

Chelsea wont win at Liverpool
Leicester won't win at Spurs

Make of that what you want.
Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea
Spurs 2-2 Leicester

those are my predictions. Do not count on Liverpool because it’ll end in tears. They won’t come out of first gear against Chelsea. While Chelsea will play like it’s a cup final.

On paper Spurs/Leicester should be a barn burner because both are good going forward and bad at the back. Unless Mourinho opts to park the bus which he really shouldn’t considering Spurs still have a shot at 6th & a EL place.

United58

Looks really exciting now. If Chelsea lose against us they’re in trouble.
Honestly it's amazing how tight it is, fantastic drama to watch. Liverpool and City should be roundly criticised for making the title race shite in comparison :p

I really hope I'm wrong, but given how exhausted we look, I can't see us beating Leicester :( As a corollary - I really hope that if we go far in the Europa League, it doesn't leave us burned out for the start of next season

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Looks really exciting now. If Chelsea lose against us they’re in trouble.
As a Liverpool fan, how do you expect the team to approach it? You’ll know the players & Klopp more than me. Can you see them playing at preseason pace & essentially rolling over? Or would Klopp not allow that?

I remember you played them in 2010 during their title race with us & bar one long ranger from Aquilani (remember him) offered absolutely nothing & basically just surrendered to Chelsea. That’s kinda what I’m expecting to be honest. Hope I’m wrong though

Silverman

If someone put us in this situation before the restart and knowing that 5th place was no longer an option due to City's successful appeal then we wud have snapped their hand off.
People giving out about the Southampton result. What about Leicester's shambolic result against Bournemouth. Stop stressing yourselves out.

Just win the next two games and we're sorted. (I actually think a draw against Leicester will do as I don't think they will beat Spurs)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
As a Liverpool fan, how do you expect the team to approach it? You’ll know the players & Klopp more than me. Can you see them playing at preseason pace & essentially rolling over? Or would Klopp not allow that?

I remember you played them in 2010 during their title race with us & bar one long ranger from Aquilani (remember him) offered absolutely nothing & basically just surrendered to Chelsea. That’s kinda what I’m expecting to be honest. Hope I’m wrong though
We're unbeaten at Anfield in the league since April 2017. We won't want to lose that record. I might be wrong but I think we've never lost two league games back to back under Klopp.

We were rubbish that season and Chelsea were outstanding. We're a much better side now and we won't roll over for them.
Honestly it's amazing how tight it is, fantastic drama to watch. Liverpool and City should be roundly criticised for making the title race shite in comparison :p

I really hope I'm wrong, but given how exhausted we look, I can't see us beating Leicester :( As a corollary - I really hope that if we go far in the Europa League, it doesn't leave us burned out for the start of next season
I think you'll be fine. Last night was a big win.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea
Spurs 2-2 Leicester

those are my predictions. Do not count on Liverpool because it’ll end in tears. They won’t come out of first gear against Chelsea. While Chelsea will play like it’s a cup final.

On paper Spurs/Leicester should be a barn burner because both are good going forward and bad at the back. Unless Mourinho opts to park the bus which he really shouldn’t considering Spurs still have a shot at 6th & a EL place.
Don't give Vardy space and you can lock the whole team. There is no one better than Jose to do that. Leicester wouldn't win. Could be a dire draw or win for Spurs but Leicester aren't winning it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We should have enough to beat Leicester on the final day which seals it for us, no? We should be taking advantage of all their injuries. Chelsea will draw against Liverpool (despite Liverpool's win at Stamford Bridge I thought Chelsea had a good game against them)

Sidenote: I just want to note you're all CL anthem whores and I for one can't wait to ban non-champions from the CL upon seizing power, because this amount of attention and angst over who finishes 3rd and 4th is annoying

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

We should have enough to beat Leicester on the final day which seals it for us, no? We should be taking advantage of all their injuries. Chelsea will draw against Liverpool (despite Liverpool's win at Stamford Bridge I thought Chelsea had a good game against them)

Sidenote: I just want to note you're all CL anthem whores and I for one can't wait to ban non-champions from the CL upon seizing power, because this amount of attention and angst over who finishes 3rd and 4th is annoying
Why does the thing under your name say Arsenal supporter?