Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Banking on their small squad and lack of depth in the bench together with the thick and fast run of games, can hope they dropped points also against relegation fighting Villa, Bournemouth and drop points against Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal and Crystal Palace, draws and/or losses.
Yeah in fairness I think i've looked at their fixtures too quickly, and went off the rating fantasy football gives them! All 2 and 3 for difficulty (and i had the 4 v Chelsea off the page)

Plenty of banana skins, but you'd worry Chelsea comes last day when chances are Chelsea are finished. But then same with us v Leicester last day.

Acquire Me

I don’t understand why people are declaring it’s over with 8 games to go, that’s bizarre.

A United win at home to a team that have just lost 3-0 and looked tired, plus a Chelsea loss to one of the best teams in Europe, means there are 2 points in it with 7 games to go! It can go either way.

Am I missing something?
It’s always like this. People love a meltdown. Very premature, though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I expected a Chelsea win but i'm still a bit angry......i really watched the minutes 1-59 and 64-90 but during both Chelsea goals i was in the kitchen :rolleyes:
It was the pathetic falling apart over about 2mins that was the annoying thing.
But noone expected anything from Villa.They're like a Sheff Utd goal threat, with a poor defence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We basically need to win 8 on the trot. No room for error. I can't see it happening.
Nah. Chelsea fixtures:
  • City (H)
  • Leicester (A) FA CUP
  • West Ham (A)
  • Watford (H)
  • Palace (A)
  • Sheffield (A)
  • Norwich (H)
  • Liverpool (A)
  • Wolves (H)
4 home games, against City (2nd), Watford (16th), Norwich (20th) and Wolves (6th).
4 away games, against West Ham (17th), Palace (9th), Sheffield (7th), Liverpool (1st).
That's a hard fecking run. Keep in mind West Ham away is also a rivalry for them, but the 3rd easiest game for them. Palace away is a tough fixture as well, one that's common for both of us.

United on the other hand:
  • Sheffield (H)
  • Norwich (A) FA CUP
  • Brighton (A)
  • Bournemouth (H)
  • Villa (A)
  • Southampton (H)
  • Palace (A)
  • West ham (H)
  • Leicester (A)
4 home games, against Sheffield (7th), Bournemouth (18th), Southampton (14th), West Ham (17th).
4 away games, against Brighton (15th), Villa (19th), Palace (9th) and Leicester (3rd).
Leicester away is tough, though on the last day of the season who knows what the situation is like (matches them against Wolves on the last day basically). Palace away is also tough, our 2nd hardest left, but again, common with the same fixture for them.

We couldn't ask for an easier fixture list, the easiest remaining in the league, while theirs is very difficult and on the other side of the spectrum.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Nah. Chelsea fixtures:
  • City (A)
  • Leicester (A) FA CUP
  • West Ham (A)
  • Watford (H)
  • Palace (A)
  • Sheffield (A)
  • Norwich (H)
  • Liverpool (A)
  • Wolves (H)
3 home games, against Watford (16th), Norwich (20th) and Wolves (6th).
5 away games, against City (2nd), West Ham (17th), Palace (9th), Sheffield (7th), Liverpool (1st).
That's a hard fecking run. Keep in mind West Ham away is also a rivalry for them, but the 3rd easiest game for them. Palace away is a tough fixture as well, one that's common for both of us.

• Sheffield (H)
  • Norwich (A) FA CUP
  • Brighton (A)
  • Bournemouth (H)
  • Villa (A)
  • Southampton (H)
  • Palace (A)
  • West ham (H)
  • Leicester (A)
4 home games, against Sheffield (7th), Bournemouth (18th), Southampton (14th), West Ham (17th).
4 away games, against Brighton (15th), Villa (19th), Palace (9th) and Leicester (3rd).
Leicester away is tough, though on the last day of the season who knows what the situation is like (matches them against Wolves on the last day basically). Palace away is also tough, our 2nd hardest left, but again, common with the same fixture for them.

We couldn't ask for an easier fixture list, the easiest remaining in the league, while theirs is very difficult and on the other side of the spectrum.
Home or away seems irrelevant in a post-covid world.

bosnian_red

Home or away seems irrelevant in a post-covid world.
Maybe so, I also fecked up anyway. You play City at home, not away. But goes both ways. General point was that I'd much rather avoid City and Liverpool altogether as both clubs are on a different level to the rest, with Leicester and Wolves I kinda put on the same level. Biggest game I'd say is an impact home or away is Palace away, which is equal for both of us, and a game I always hate (despite United having a good record there). Always seems like an upset ready to happen, while I feel like they roll over when we play them at home. West Ham away vs home as well I feel like is a decently big difference, with the rest not really mattering much home or away.

Anyway, if Chelsea avoids defeat in both of those big games, then I think you finish top 4. Assuming the expected results happen from those fixtures (United/Chelsea matching results against West Ham/Leicester or Wolves/Palace away), the tie breaker will just be what happens with Chelsea vs Liverpool and City. Tough ask though. But at the same time if both clubs go on a very good run, there's a chance both sneak in ahead of Leicester. All assuming City are allowed to play in the CL next year. If the ban is upheld, one might lose concentration and let Wolves sneak in.

always_hoping

You need to park easier/easiest talk especially for a group of players that lost to Palace (H) West Ham (A) Newcastle (A) Bournemouth (A) Watford (A) Burnley (H) plus the many silly draws this season.

I might add regardless of the opposition
this United team more often than not need to score first in games to win them. So starting Wednesday hopefully Man United score first v Sheffield United.

TheRedHearted

What's happening with Europa league? I think it's a more realistic way of us getting in at this point unfortunately. It's tough to say, we can really gel again

rotherham_red

What will Liverpool have to play for by then? Chelsea are now 5 points ahead with 8 games to play which is a very decent position to be in and they won't have the distractions of European football unlike United and Wolves. The so called more favourable games are normally the ones United will drop further points in
A points record will likely still be on offer for them. That's reason enough.

Member 90887

What will Liverpool have to play for by then? Chelsea are now 5 points ahead with 8 games to play which is a very decent position to be in and they won't have the distractions of European football unlike United and Wolves. The so called more favourable games are normally the ones United will drop further points in
Nobody has european football before August. So it's really not an argument here.

Chelsea play City next, they are not winning that one. We'll probably decrease the gap in the next gameweek.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Normally if teams finish above my own I’ll give due credit. I think this time based on the 2/3rds played, it would be an absolute travesty if you guys finished above us.

I get we have been inconsistent at times and that’s a mixed of limited forwards and a lack of game management and know how. You guys on the other hand, have been quite dreadful at times and it really felt like a chore to watch. I feel like it’s more down to lack of tactics and employing someone utterly clueless and with a proven track record of failure.

So if that happened, it would be on Chelsea, not an outstanding comeback story. That thought is truly sickening
Beat Chelsea three times comfortably, we can't be that bad

bosnian_red

You need to park easier/easiest talk especially for a group of players that lost to Palace (H) West Ham (A) Newcastle (A) Bournemouth (A) Watford (A) Burnley (H) plus the many silly draws this season.

I might add regardless of the opposition
this United team more often than not need to score first in games to win them. So starting Wednesday hopefully Man United score first v Sheffield United.
A group of players, just that group happened to not have Bruno and a fit Pogba as part of it. Or some of them not having Martial or Rashford in addition to Bruno/Pogba. You swap Bruno and Pogba with Lingard and Pereira, and yeah, we're going to drop a lot of points, as those are garbage players in key positions. Straightforward.

If you think we're the same team right now as we were in mid January, or from October, or even the start of the season, then you're very much mistaken. We essentially added 2 world class midfielders to our team right now compared to what we had in the first half of the season, and that will show.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
City's* UEFA ban currently is for next season and the season after. Their appeal will be decided in early/mid July, where we'll find out if 5th makes CL next year or not.
Thanks. I think it will be upheld for next year. But yeah, cant plan for that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Nah. Chelsea fixtures:
  • City (H)
  • Leicester (A) FA CUP
  • West Ham (A)
  • Watford (H)
  • Palace (A)
  • Sheffield (A)
  • Norwich (H)
  • Liverpool (A)
  • Wolves (H)
4 home games, against City (2nd), Watford (16th), Norwich (20th) and Wolves (6th).
4 away games, against West Ham (17th), Palace (9th), Sheffield (7th), Liverpool (1st).

• Sheffield (H)
  • Norwich (A) FA CUP
  • Brighton (A)
  • Bournemouth (H)
  • Villa (A)
  • Southampton (H)
  • Palace (A)
  • West ham (H)
  • Leicester (A)
Good analysis. You're right about the fixture lists.
But it's still a tough ask to gain 5 or 6 extra points over 8 games: requires us to be in top from, while Chelsea only pick up 50% of points available.
Especially when our side now has a reputation for not being able to comfortably beat bottom 10 teams.
Everything lies on Bruno/Pogba partnership to create chances for our forwards.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s funny how people are assuming a United win and Chelsea defeat midweek is the odds on scenario. Fivethirtyeight have the results at 72% and 48% likely respectively, which is 34.6% for both to happen.

Essentially only a third of the time do United head into the FA Cup weekend with a gap of two points with seven games to play. And that’s the best case scenario. A five point lead now is massive.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I understand you want to be optimistic, but if i were a United fan, i wouldnt exactly be thrilled about the chances of top 4 now.
That said, a 5th place could well give you a CL spot.

Pagh Wraith

It’s funny how people are assuming a United win and Chelsea defeat midweek is the odds on scenario. Fivethirtyeight have the results at 72% and 48% likely respectively, which is 34.6% for both to happen.

Essentially only a third of the time do United head into the FA Cup weekend with a gap of two points with seven games to play. And that’s the best case scenario. A five point lead now is massive.
The most sense I've seen anybody talk in this thread. It'd be a 10/10 post if you had used Asian betting odds instead of 538. :D Although to be fair they are almost identical in this case.

PoTMS

I don't doubt Chelsea will lose plenty of points during their run in. I just think United will lose just as many, despite having an easier fixture list.

bosnian_red

Questionable maths... Entirely the wrong way to use stats. But I guess if you want to go with that logic...
9 potential outcomes.
Utd 3, Chels 0 = 34.56%
Utd 3, Chels 3 = 20.88 %
Utd 3, Chels 1 = 16.56%
Utd 1, Chels 0 = 9.6%
Utd 1, Chels 3 = 5.8%
Utd 1, Chels 1 = 4.6%
Utd 0, Chels 0 = 3.84%
Utd 0, Chels 3 = 2.32%
Utd 0, Chels 1 = 1.84%

With 9 potential outcomes that can happen, 35% is actually quite a bit. By far the likeliest outcome. And it's not a roll of the dice or a situation where weighted averages really mean for much to randomize situations. It's a football game where the vast majority of the time, the better team just wins. City, is a much better football team than Chelsea. Especially a Lampard led Chelsea that is enjoyable to watch but can't defend worth shit and will attack naively against anyone. City and Liverpool will both pick them apart.

Anyway.. 5 point lead isn't much at all, and I'll say right now it is entirely due to how the fixtures have been spread out. We have an easy as feck fixture list, a list that most top half teams would pick up a good chunk of points, while they have a nightmarish run. 5 points is pretty much what the spread is, so I think it'll come down to 1 or 2 points either way, or goal differential. But it's a very even race right now, given the fixtures.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Normally if teams finish above my own I’ll give due credit. I think this time based on the 2/3rds played, it would be an absolute travesty if you guys finished above us.

I get we have been inconsistent at times and that’s a mixed of limited forwards and a lack of game management and know how. You guys on the other hand, have been quite dreadful at times and it really felt like a chore to watch. I feel like it’s more down to lack of tactics and employing someone utterly clueless and with a proven track record of failure.

So if that happened, it would be on Chelsea, not an outstanding comeback story. That thought is truly sickening
Conveniently you have omitted the absence of our best players for half of the season as a reason for our struggles.

mad1max954

Leicester could get drawn into it in my opinion. There squad isn’t as big as ours or Chelsea’s and with games coming super quick, a couple of injuries then all of a sudden they are looking behind them.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It’s ours to lose, I think. Wolves could do it too, but Sheffield don’t have the firepower and Chelsea have a pretty tricky run in compared to others. Oh and Spurs are shite.

We were in good form, got some big players coming back from injury and we’ve got a relatively easy run in. Just need Chelsea to slip up soon.

croadyman

Not sure yet, City are appealing the ban so we'll have to wait and see. Best just to not think about it and aim for 4th.
Yeah would be an absolute schoolboy error if any of us, Wolves, Chelsea, Sheff Utd or Spurs start thinking that way

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If City win their appeal and don't get a ban then UEFA may as well scrap FFP and never bother going after anyone again. It will make them look completely toothless and humiliate them.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
If City win their appeal and don't get a ban then UEFA may as well scrap FFP and never bother going after anyone again. It will make them look completely toothless and humiliate them.
FFP was created mainly for clubs like Marseille, Trabzonspor, Dinamo Zagreb or Flora Tallinn so the rich clubs can get richer and to keep the power.

I was shocked about UEFA's 2-year-ban for Manchester City because there is obviously so much power behind the club and the UEFA is anyway corrupt.

RonaldoVII

I think we can catch Leicester and Chelsea. Not saying we will, but we're not that far behind Leicester and their fixtures aren't great. Just need to be within a couple of points at worst come the last game of the season and I'd fancy us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not even looking at United. I don't mean that in an arrogant way. I just think Chelsea would be better suited focusing on catching Leicester, who are only 3 points ahead now rather than focusing on staying ahead of United.

Red Keane

It would also mean that the likes of the Glazers would be forced to invest into their teams, least they fall further behind the likes of City & PSG (and lose their best players to either club). Hence why I hope City win their appeal (1).

(1) Because the alternative is seeing Liverpool dominate English Football, Real Madrid & Barcelona dominate European Football & United carrying on their "managed decline".

FFP was created mainly for clubs like Marseille, Trabzonspor, Dinamo Zagreb or Flora Tallinn so the rich clubs can get richer and to keep the power.
Let's be real, I doubt FFP would have emerged had Abramovich not bought Chelsea, Abu Dhabi not bought Man City & Qatar not bought PSG. Especially when the current setup of both (European) Domestic Football & Continential Football is working very well for the Established Clubs (Maybe not AC Milan & Inter Milan to be fair).

RonaldoVII

I'm not even looking at United. I don't mean that in an arrogant way. I just think Chelsea would be better suited focusing on catching Leicester, who are only 3 points ahead now rather than focusing on staying ahead of United.
Do you think players think that way in terms of looking up and/or down? Or just a case of looking to get a result from each game and seeing where that gets them.

Shark

@NotShark
After the next set of fixtures we could quite easily be within two points of you again. Can't see you getting anything off City and we may put a poor Shefield United to bed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Do you think players think that way in terms of looking up and/or down? Or just a case of looking to get a result from each game and seeing where that gets them.
Players are human so they're likely also looking at the league table calculating points based on hypothetical wins and losses, the same way the fans do.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
After the next set of fixtures we could quite easily be within two points of you again. Can't see you getting anything off City and we may put a poor Shefield United to bed.
Yeah, I mean I think it's inevitable that United close the gap to us in some way. I've already said I think Chelsea and United will squeeze into the top 4 in the end.

Aouer-United

I'd prefer us and Chelsea in top 4 ahead of Leicester City so I could watch more Chelsea games in UCL if they progressed through to the round of 16 games and go further but Leicester City? Meh.

Leicester City's form in 2020 is not great, they seem to return to the same level as they were before the start of 2019/20, I think they're the most likely team to drop out of the top 4 rather than Chelsea.