Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They are currently 4 points ahead of us. If we match their results of the remainder of the season (which includes drawing against Villa), then we will be three points behind them when we kick off at the King Power. We'd have to win that game and overturn their GD advantage in the process.
We have a game in hand. What are you talking about if we draw at villa? Why do we suddenly have to draw with villa?

We win all our games we’re in, no questions asked.

ArjenIsM3

The day our top four hopes died . Only thing we can hope for now is to hold off Arsenal and hope City's ban holds up
You're starting to catch my eye in a negative sense. Either you're just very pessimistic or you're a wum. Which is it?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Not a great day for Man United but could have been worse if 10 man Arsenal lost.

Sheffield United next is the only game think Chelsea might slip up in. Norwich will be easy and they will beat Wolves and simliar to the way they bet Palace today. As much as I would like to think different Liverpool won't be switched on for their meeting v Chelsea.

Hopefully Jose does his old club a favour by taking points off Leicester.
I think Wolves are more likely to take points off Chelsea than Sheffield Utd, but obviously Liverpool will be a draw or loss for Chelsea.

There's no way that Liverpool will rest players for a game like that. They have nothing else to play for, and they also need to prove to Klopp they are ready for next year, because they'll be looking to invest in the transfer window to strengthen.

Infra-red

If we win all our games including the one against Leicester, don't we end up 2 points ahead of them in 4th place?
If we win all of our games, we finish top 4. Yes, that is guaranteed. We need to exceed Leicester's result in two game weeks. Beating Villa would be one down. Beating them on the last day would be two.

SirScholes

Another poor day for us but it's in our hands now at least.
Also in Chelsea’s and Leicester’s

I always believe that phrase is better when there is nothing the other teams can do but maybe I’m splitting hairs here

Berbasbullet

Also in Chelsea’s and Leicester’s

I always believe that phrase is better when there is nothing the other teams can do but maybe I’m splitting hairs here
Yep it’s in all threes hands, but all we need to do is win all our games and we’re in!

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I still feel Chelsea and Leicester drop a lot more points. Chelsea's defense isn't convincing whatsoever. I hope Klopp's boys actually try.
We will hopefully still be trying to end the season winning every game at home which is something that no team has done before. If that's the case, we'll be full strength and going for it

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yall ready for grealish to turn into zidane like he did at old Trafford?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No, we need to better their results and then beat them at the King Power. They have superior GD.
If we win on Thursday we need to match their results until the last game and then if we beat them we go above them. I’m sure that’s what he meant.

OneUnited24

I feel like a point is not a bad result for us. We just need to do our job from now to the end of the season

rotherham_red

Not a great day for Man United but could have been worse if 10 man Arsenal lost.

Sheffield United next is the only game think Chelsea might slip up in. Norwich will be easy and they will beat Wolves and simliar to the way they bet Palace today. As much as I would like to think different Liverpool won't be switched on for their meeting v Chelsea.

Hopefully Jose does his old club a favour by taking points off Leicester.
If Liverpool win the rest of their games this season, they will beat City's points record in their game against Chelsea. And considering Klopp only made 3 changes to his first choice lineup against Villa, nothing is telling me he and they won't go for it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The draw doesn't mean shit IMO. If they lost to Spurs and Arsenal, they would be 3 points behind us come final day (if we won every game and they won the other 2). They will be ahead of us on goal difference so level on points if they beat us, means they still finish 4th. The extra point now just means if they win they're a point ahead instead of beating us on GD. Pretty much any scenario here the difference is them finishing ahead by 1 point instead of goal difference now (if results play out in their favor).
If they had lost then we could have afforded to draw one of our games before Leicester even if they won all of theirs. We will drop points somewhere.

Paxi

Some wet wipes in here. We’ll be fine ffs.

TheGodsInRed

No, we need to better their results and then beat them at the King Power. They have superior GD.
We don’t need to better their results. Match their results then beat them.

Personally I think a draw will be enough on the final day. Can‘t see them beating Sheff Utd and Spurs as they are playing really poor.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If they had lost then we could have afforded to draw one of our games before Leicester even if they won all of theirs. We will drop points somewhere.
If you expect us to drop against Palace/Southampton/Villa/West Ham, then surely you expect them to drop more against Spurs/Sheffield/Bournemouth? Yeah in the scenario that they win their 3 before the game against us and we drop in one of these 3 and needing us to win to get in, this point makes a difference there as then it goes down to goal difference. Don't think it comes down to that though. We need to win the games we should be winning if we want to get in, it's pretty standard. I do think they'll drop away to Spurs though, even if Spurs have been mediocre with Mourinho. Still a tough team to play.

Paxi

We have a very favourable run of games, and we’re in good form with all of our players available. If we don’t get top 4 from here then we absolutely do not deserve to play in the champions league. Why worry about something which is clearly in our own hands?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think we'll drop points before the Leicester game - most likely at Palace.

Leicester will probably drop points in either the Spurs or Sheffield United game.

Last day game at Leicester will be playing for 4th spot. Although 5th will probably be enough for CL anyway, so chances are it'll be irrelevant.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Last week: "Is it in our hands"
This week: "Do we need to match/better Leicester's results"

This thread is a train wreck.

Infra-red

We have a game in hand. What are you talking about if we draw at villa? Why do we suddenly have to draw with villa?

We win all our games we’re in, no questions asked.
Because that would be matching Leicester's result, as specified by the original post I replied to.

We need to exceed their result in two game weeks. If we can beat Villa then that is one down. Beating them on the last day would be two.

This matters not. If we win all of our games, we finish top 4. Ultimately, that matters more than the fact a load of people can't read :smirk:

ShinjiNinja26

No excuses now it’s in our hands, win our remaining games and we secure top 4. It will be easier said than done as there’s a couple potential banana skins in there but if we play like we have been we’ll give ourselves a good chance.

SirScholes

Personally I think a draw will be enough on the final day. Can‘t see them beating Sheff Utd and Spurs as they are playing really poor.
We are 4 points behind with a game in hand.
if we match their results, which means drawing against Villa (as they did today) would put us 3 points behind.
If we match them all they way to king power and win we’d be level on points

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Being realistic here United have 3 opportunities to play CL football next season

• City's ban is upheld or reduced to one season. I suspect its highly likely that a reduction to one season will be the outcome. The initial 2 year verdict sentence was perfectly setup for a reduction to 1 on appeal
  • We finish top 4. We should feel fairly confident about this given the remaining fixtures
  • We win Europa League. I feel slightly less confident in one-legged ties but still we are favourites and in great form. We are the best team left in the competition, but....its a cup and therefore somewhat of a lottery

All in all we should feel quite confident that one of these avenues is going to pan out for us, but even if we don't we are clearly a team that are getting better and better and we should all be excited about what next season will bring.

Top 4 was always an ambitious goal for us given the squad we came into the season with. If we get it we have over-achieved, however this season was mainly about repairing the squad and restoring the winning mentality in the players, and we have made huge strides

Gasolin

If we win, aren't we 1pt behind Leicester and 2pts behind Chelsea? Is that really a bad place to be right now?

Berbasbullet

Because that would be matching Leicester's result, as specified by the original post I replied to.

We need to exceed their result in two game weeks. If we can beat Villa then that is one down. Beating them on the last day would be two.

This matters not. If we win all of our games, we finish top 4. Ultimately, that matters more than the fact a load of people can't read :smirk:
Yes but the general point that most people are making is simply we win all our games we are in champions league. Hence the misunderstanding.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No easy games left for Leicester with their form since December. They were saved by a red card tonight and now they have to go to a team fighting to survive and win, and that’s their easiest game.

Then they have to beat Sheffield United, who have only lost 4 times away from home in all competitions this season.

And then go to Mourinho’s anti football Spurs and win too?

It isn’t happening. If United do their job, they will be in the top 4 going into the last day.

flappyjay

The day our top four hopes died . Only thing we can hope for now is to hold off Arsenal and hope City's ban holds up
Our destiny is literally in our hands. That's a good situation to be in.

Infra-red

No, we need to better their results at two stages. They drew tonight, so we have the opportunity to knock one of the two down by winning our corresponding fixture, against Villa.

Presumably you do realise that we haven't beaten Villa yet.

Mr Smith

I think this is a good result. Obviously it would be better if Arsenal won, but I'm pretty convinced Leicester will drop more points and we'll be above them in the table when we play them on the final day.