Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Shiva87

Wrong. If that happens Utd and Leicester (if they draw) will finish above Chelsea owing to goal difference. As I have said elsewhere, Utd are nailed on for the top 4. It will take something catastrophic to not get it. For me, Utd only need one win and one draw from the next three games to finish in the CL.
Fair enough! Just saw the goal difference. Did your predictions assume Leicester will beat Sheffield?

Shiva87

Leicester look up for the fight.

My prediction:

Tonight: Leicester beat SU, we draw away at Palace, the caf descends into complete meltdown as we fall two points behind 4th with two to play.

In the penultimate round of games, Chelsea beat Liverpool, Leicester draw with Spurs and we beat West Ham.

The table going into the final game will be Chelsea (66), Leicester (63), United (63). Chelsea will be guaranteed top 4, but will need at least a draw vs Wolves to guarantee 3rd. We'll battle Leicester at the King Power in the decider for the final place.
That's one of the many outcomes that can happen, but are you willing to wager on it. If you are so confident of this, why don't you see how it fairs on the betting websites? You'll make a few quid ;)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Leicester look up for the fight.

My prediction:

Tonight: Leicester beat SU, we draw away at Palace, the caf descends into complete meltdown as we fall two points behind 4th with two to play.

In the penultimate round of games, Chelsea beat Liverpool, Leicester draw with Spurs and we beat West Ham.

The table going into the final game will be Chelsea (66), Leicester (63), United (63). Chelsea will be guaranteed top 4, but will need at least a draw vs Wolves to guarantee 3rd. We'll battle Leicester at the King Power in the decider for the final place.
If it comes to having to beat Leicester away from home I don't thin we'll manage to it. I think we have to go into that game ahead of them which sadly for us means 2/2 wins needed over the next two. The time for slip ups has gone. Unless Leicester mess things up today which I dont think they will.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If it comes to having to beat Leicester away from home I don't thin we'll manage to it. I think we have to go into that game ahead of them which sadly for us means 2/2 wins needed over the next two. The time for slip ups has gone. Unless Leicester mess things up today which I dont think they will.
Agreed but I think both teams will have 64 points before the final match-day, I see a draw at Palace today

Shiva87

So that's that for this game. United need to win big tonight. Goal difference could end up deciding this now, its that close.

Even if Leicester lose the next game against spurs, it's down to the last day of the season.

peridigm

Last match of the season it is. If we miss out we still have EL. Fat lady will not sing until August.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Given this result, it'll come down to the last day regardless of Leicester game against Spurs, so long as we win one of the last 2 (and draw the other if we want to win on points, otherwise its GD).
Leicester will have 62, 63 or 65 points heading into the final day. We win both, a loss to Leicester will still likely put us out due to GD.

Not even sure its that advantageous to be holding out for a draw vs needing a win. So it'll be a final away to Leicester, with the chance Chelsea drops out if they lose to Liverpool and both Leicester and United win our 2 games.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Got a feeling we won’t make it. We’ve blown every chance we’ve had to break into the top 4 all season (and we’ve had many)

The squad seem to struggle when the pressure is on. If we need a result at Leicester on the final day I think we’ll blow it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That point Leicester got against Arsenal looking crucial now.

bosnian_red

That point Leicester got against Arsenal looking crucial now.
Why? Would come down to last day anyway. Our only chance that it didn't come down to last day was to beat Southampton and the other 2 and Leicester drop at Spurs.

Shark

@NotShark
Got a feeling we won’t make it. We’ve blown every chance we’ve had to break into the top 4 all season (and we’ve had many)

The squad seem to struggle when the pressure is on. If we need a result at Leicester on the final day I think we’ll blow it.
We're not making it now, calling it now. That Southampton match was so vital, now we're relying on goal difference/favors again.

always_hoping

Leicester with a +5 better scoring difference than United now. Hopefully Jose can at least draw with them but I wouldn't hold up my hopes on that happening.

Leftback99

Why? Would come down to last day anyway. Our only chance that it didn't come down to last day was to beat Southampton and the other 2 and Leicester drop at Spurs.
And on the last day GD could have them above us thanks to that point. Hopefully we can at least be in with a chance on the last day.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We're not making it now, calling it now. That Southampton match was so vital, now we're relying on goal difference/favors again.
Yeah, unfortunately I think we’ll be looking back at that Obafemi goal as the moment top 4 drifted away. It feels like the stuffing has been knocked out the club.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We are not relying on any favours. We simply have to win all our games and we are fine.

It’s in our own hands, and we’ll have to accept that if don’t make it, we didn’t deserve it.

Time for players to stand up and be accountable for their actions, as many have already or about to find out by being removed from the club.

bosnian_red

And on the last day GD could have them above us thanks to that point. Hopefully we can at least be in with a chance.
True but the only difference would be who is ok with a draw vs who is going to need a win. If we need a win to be level on points with them, we don't deserve to be there as it would mean we lose to Palace or West ham while they beat Spurs.

Is there much of an advantage to needing the draw vs needing a win? I don't think so personally. Its a cup final. Going into it for the draw can easily back fire.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Watch us do a Crystanbul. Thinking we can smash West Ham for the GD to favour us on the last day only to draw or something.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah, unfortunately I think we’ll be looking back at that Obafemi goal as the moment top 4 drifted away. It feels like the stuffing has been knocked out the club.
??? Maybe the stuffing from your own confidence!

But it’s interesting: how should a team have confidence if it’s own fans don’t have so in them?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be honest, if we had to win at Leicester we might stand a chance as they could bottle it but if we had to draw then it’s 100% West Ham away 15/16 all over - a disastrous calamity defeat. Unless we win our next 2, Leicester beat Spurs and Chelsea lose to Liverpool and then a draw suits both teams on the final day.

Leftback99

True but the only difference would be who is ok with a draw vs who is going to need a win. If we need a win to be level on points with them, we don't deserve to be there as it would mean we lose to Palace or West ham while they beat Spurs.

Is there much of an advantage to needing the draw vs needing a win? I don't think so personally. Its a cup final. Going into it for the draw can easily back fire.
It would make for an interesting game if a draw was good enough for both of us.

bosnian_red

To be honest, if we had to win at Leicester we might stand a chance as they could bottle it but if we had to draw then it’s 100% West Ham away 15/16 all over - a disastrous calamity defeat. Unless we win our next 2, Leicester beat Spurs and Chelsea lose to Liverpool and then a draw suits both teams on the final day.
Yeah I'm not sure how advantageous it is needing the draw vs it being a final and a win gets you in. And in that case, even if we draw today and beat west ham, that puts us on 63 points. Leicester will be on max 65 points. So its the same scenario. Avoid defeat today, beat west ham, and its a cup final against leicester.

Ideal scenario is win by enough today and vs West Ham and Spurs beat Leicester that our goal difference is up by 3 at least, so that even a 1-0 loss we still go through. I doubt that though.

bosnian_red

It would make for an interesting game if a draw was good enough for both of us.
Even in that scenario I'd put money on one team fecking it up. Hard to morally go in for a draw, when both teams might not trust the other and not want to lose. Then you get in match fixing territory anyway.

PoTMS

Even in that scenario I'd put money on one team fecking it up. Hard to morally go in for a draw, when both teams might not trust the other and not want to lose. Then you get in match fixing territory anyway.
Huddersfield and Barnsley got away with it a few seasons back. But like someone said earlier, wouldn't trust Vardy not to tackle De Gea in the last minute.

MalcolmTucker

The Crystal Palace game is so important - need to make a statement of intent and show we're not gonna fade away like we did last season.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I doubt it'd be both playing for a draw from the start, but the end of the match if both were drawing its getting knocked about the back no doubt about it.

Dan_F

We'll win Europa League
Do you think Palace, West Ham, Leicester is a more difficult run than one that includes Roma/Sevilla and Inter?

It’s three one off games in both competitions and the Premier League games are easier.

bosnian_red

The Crystal Palace game is so important - need to make a statement of intent and show we're not gonna fade away like we did last season.
Biggest thing about the Palace game is probably mentality tbh. A draw or win doesn't change our task vs Leicester, so long as we beat West Ham. A draw vs win makes a difference with Chelsea though. If we win, puts pressure on Chelsea to avoid defeat against Liverpool otherwise they're fecked if Leicester and United win gameweek 37.

Virgil

Ouch that win by Leicester does really make it squeaky bum time. We cannot afford to drop any points against CP tonight. I’m fearful. Palace have been so bad since soccer returned they have to put on a performance soon. Just let it not be tonight.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Chelsea will only get more more point, so a win and draw in the next three games should get us across the line on GD. At best they'll get 2 more points which will require 2 draw and a win or two wins for Utd. Fully confident Utd can still lose a game a qualify and/or draw two and qualify.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Isn't our record poor when we have to perform after our rivals have successfully done well ?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Chelsea will only get more more point, so a win and draw in the next three games should get us across the line on GD. At best they'll get 2 more points which will require 2 draw and a win or two wins for Utd. Fully confident Utd can still lose a game a qualify and/or draw two and qualify.
Chelsea will win against Wolves