Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
After this weekends results we are in a position now that we couldn't possibly have hoped for. Our realistic aim has always been to get to the Leicester game on the final day with a chance of overtaking them. Now, if we win our next three, we are quite likely to have 3rd spot secured by the time we get to that game - assuming that Chelsea don't beat Liverpool and Leicester fail to beat either Sheff Utd or Spurs.

With the City news our margin for error has decreased, and tonight's game becomes increasingly important. Looking at the form of ourselves and our next 3 opponents, we really have a great chance of winning them all.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Would be great for the likes of Ziyech and Werner to roll in to the Europa League!
It will be tight for sure

Utd: Southampton (H), Palace (A), West Ham (H), Leicester (A) -- 8 pts = 66 pts

Chelsea: Norwich (H), Liverpool (A), Wolves (H) -- 4 pts = 64 pts

Leicester: Sheff Utd (H), Spurs (A), Man Utd (H) -- 5 pts = 64 pts

I have Leicester on gd.

GwilDor

Nah. The extra spot goes to the 3rd team in the 5th ranked league, which would be Ligue 1.
I wasn't aware of this. Surely that is only if the EL winner is already qualified through league position though right? So if we're 5th, England gets 5 spots, and pipping 3rd ranked league 1 team to the "extra" spot?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just win tonight. I don’t care it’s a dodgy penalty in the 90th minute or what - just get 3 points and move on to Crystal Palace.

I have Leicester on gd.
Leicester have won 5, drawn 6 and lost 8 in their last 19 games.
But yeah, sure they are not gonna lose any of those 3 extremely tough fixtures. :lol:

Since matchday 17 (mid-December) to now, they are 13th in the league and dropping like a stone.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=17&max=35

Last edited:

freeurmind

weak willed
We need to get that goal difference up so we can have that edge over Leicester. A nice 4-0 win would do nicely.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Even though the fans have somewhat been hoping for City's ban to give us a cushion of 5th place. I can't believe for a second that Ole and the players were glued around the CAS website at 09:30 waiting for that decision and are now thinking "shit, the pressure is right on us now". They'll be relaxed. Enjoying their form and the current run and desperate to get out there again tonight and get a few goals.

Raw

I wasn't aware of this. Surely that is only if the EL winner is already qualified through league position though right? So if we're 5th, England gets 5 spots, and pipping 3rd ranked league 1 team to the "extra" spot?
Yep exactly. Same goes for the CL too. If both the CL and EL is won by teams outside the top 4, then 4th loses out.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The only thing that worries me about these games, is that it would be extremely un-United for us to win and keep this run going. We've become bottlers somewhat over the past 2 years and never seem to capitalise. But we did against Villa last week and this team seems like a different beast. So I hope we just keep rolling on and keep turning in the performances.

shaky

We've got a great chance of having top 4 tied up before the Leicester game now. In that situation, I'd be happy to play the kids & Lingard in that game. If we lose, we can give Leicester a chance of dumping Chelsea into Europa and Havertz will tell them to get stuffed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We've got a great chance of having top 4 tied up before the Leicester game now. In that situation, I'd be happy to play the kids & Lingard in that game. If we lose, we can give Leicester a chance of dumping Chelsea into Europa and Havertz will tell them to get stuffed.
feck yes. If we are already in top 4, I'd happily throw the Leicester game if it stopped Chelsea from getting CL.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I have Leicester on gd.
Leicester are in freefall. I'd be surprised if they make the top four.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Leicester have won 5, drawn 6 and lost 8 in their last 19 games.
But yeah, sure they are not gonna lose any of those 3 extremely tough fixtures. :lol:

Since matchday 17 (mid-December) to now, they are 13th in the league and dropping like a stone.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=17&max=35
You're focusing on loses. I also only have them winning 1. 2 of the 3 teams are also in questionable form themselves.

NJM78

United just need to win tonight, this is pressure now as we are not just relying on other teams dropping points, it's in our hands. We win our games we get third, even then we can drop a couple and still get 4th.

We fail to get top 4 at all, it will be our fault only. Having the City ban overturned should be a positive and rule out any complacency.

I expect a comfortable victory tonight although I do think we will concede.

Edit: we can still win the Europa of course but I rather we win that and get third. That will be a real statement of being a club on the rise.

Slysi17

I hope we don't somehow get into a situation where we need to smash West Ham for GD and then beat Leicester on the last day.
I don't see it. I see our final game against leceister City being a dead rubber for us. I think we will have top 4 wrapped by then. Leceister City are in freefall

rotherham_red

Even though the fans have somewhat been hoping for City's ban to give us a cushion of 5th place. I can't believe for a second that Ole and the players were glued around the CAS website at 09:30 waiting for that decision and are now thinking "shit, the pressure is right on us now". They'll be relaxed. Enjoying their form and the current run and desperate to get out there again tonight and get a few goals.
Exactly this. You can see the focus seeping through in every performance, interview and interaction with the wider media.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'll be surprised if Leicester get more than three points now. If Wolves can sink Burnley, I fancy them to finish 5th. Too bad about the City ban being overturned, but Wolves still has the Europa League route I suppose. I think Chelsea will have to avoid defeat against Wolves on the last day too.

cyberman

I'll be surprised if Leicester get more than three points now. If Wolves can sink Burnley, I fancy them to finish 5th. Too bad about the City ban being overturned, but Wolves still has the Europa League route I suppose.
If Chelaea fail to beat Liverpool and Wolves win their next 2, they literally have a one game shoot out for the CL if Leicester do fall away.

SlyFiz

I'll be surprised if Leicester get more than three points now. If Wolves can sink Burnley, I fancy them to finish 5th. Too bad about the City ban being overturned, but Wolves still has the Europa League route I suppose.
Wolves can still finish 4th if they win all 3 of their remaining matches

mu4c_20le

Chelsea fans were shitting it today, they have much more to lose than Leicester.

Havak

Pokemon master
If Chelaea fail to beat Liverpool and Wolves win their next 2, they literally have a one game shoot out for the CL if Leicester do fall away.
Wolves can still finish 4th if they win all 3 of their remaining matches
Yeah, just beat me to responding before my edit haha

I think Chelsea are probably safe in the top four if they can beat Norwich comfortably and get a draw with Liverpool. Otherwise, it could be a very interesting final day if Wolves beat Burnley and Palace like I expect them to.

Last day could be Chelsea on 63 & Wolves on 61. If Chelsea gets the draw with Liverpool, I think they'd maybe stay 4th on goal difference. This is why they need to really go after Norwich though and if they do lose to Liverpool it can't be a heavy one.

(This is all assuming Man Utd get a reasonable return from the final games, 7+ Points is surely enough).

RonaldoVII

United
Southampton (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
West Ham (h)
Leicester (a)

Chelsea
Norwich (h)
Liverpool (a)
Wolves (h)

Leicester
Sheffield United (h)
Tottenham (a)
Manchester United (h)

Highly unlikely that Chelsea or Leicester win all of their remaining games, let alone both of them. A win for us tonight should almost guarantee it but it's not the end of the world if we don't. Winning our next 3 should take all the pressure off the final game but on the flip side, if we drop points before then, we should still have that last game to leapfrog Leicester.

To be fair, the post assumes they only pick up 1 win (and draw the other 2). I think that's plausible.
I don’t find it plausible for a side 13th in the league in their past 19 games (21 points) and 8 defeats, to play 3 of their toughest games of the season and come through undefeated.
Anything can happen, we could lose every game, but Leicester going unbeaten vs. Sheff United, Spurs and Manchester United is highly unlikely.

Chelsea and United will be 3rd and 4th.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
United
Southampton (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
West Ham (h)
Leicester (a)

Chelsea
Norwich (h)
Liverpool (a)
Wolves (h)

Leicester
Sheffield United (h)
Tottenham (a)
Manchester United (h)

Highly unlikely that Chelsea or Leicester win all of their remaining games, let alone both of them. A win for us tonight should almost guarantee it but it's not the end of the world if we don't. Winning our next 3 should take all the pressure off the final game but on the flip side, if we drop points before then, we should still have that last game to leapfrog Leicester.
I dont know what mental jump/class A you've done to arrive at that conclusion - but I will have what you're having.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don’t find it plausible for a side 13th in the league in their past 19 games (21 points) and 8 defeats, to play 3 of their toughest games of the season and come through undefeated.
You think 1 win and 2 draws is "not plausible"? I'd disagree strongly. They've been shit but they're capable of getting a win and a couple draws in the final 3 games.

Anything can happen, we could lose every game, but Leicester going unbeaten vs. Sheff United, Spurs and Manchester United is highly unlikely.
Whilst appreciating your views on Leicester (they have been very poor) how can you not apply the same for Chelsea? I see Chelsea and they actually look worse than Leicester. Terribly lucky against Palace, had their arse handed to them vs Sheffield United, and will play Wolves and Liverpool in the next few games. Even a second string Liverpool side will be a decent match for them.

You think 1 win and 2 draws is "not plausible"? I'd disagree strongly. They've been shit but they're capable of getting a win and a couple draws in the final 3 games.

Whilst appreciating your views on Leicester (they have been very poor) how can you not apply the same for Chelsea? I see Chelsea and they actually look worse than Leicester. Terribly lucky against Palace, had their arse handed to them vs Sheffield United, and will play Wolves and Liverpool in the next few games. Even a second string Liverpool side will be a decent match for them.
Form table in last 19 games has Leicester 13th and dropping, they are matching Newcastle, with just a point more than Palace. That same table has Chelsea 6th.

If we take it from the restart, Chelsea are 4th, Leicester 16th :eek:

It’s night and day @VP89, Leicester are done. Even their own fans know it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The goal after the Spurs draw was that it’s W’s only from now on. That hasn’t changed for me. I don’t care if we’re 4 points clear on the last day of the season, W’s only. Must win. None of this “maybe we get get 7 points from 4 games” nonsense. These are shit teams, we get 12 points from them. Less of this medicore mindset we’re Manchester United. I wanna see us put these teams to the sword. The banter era is over now.

The only thing that worries me about these games, is that it would be extremely un-United for us to win and keep this run going. We've become bottlers somewhat over the past 2 years and never seem to capitalise. But we did against Villa last week and this team seems like a different beast. So I hope we just keep rolling on and keep turning in the performances.
Unless you started following the club in 2013 I don’t know what you’re talking about. We’re not Spurs mate. Winning every game would be a very United thing to do.

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

After CAS shitting the bed there’s now a lot more pressure and importance to win these remaining games. Really can’t afford to slip up at this stage. Don’t want to have to rely on winning EL again to get CL.

romufc

This is exactly the sort of pressure this team needs, a convincing win today will send out a real statement of intent.

Throughout this season, we have lost this kind of game when the other teams have dropped points.

Can we capitalise on this in what could be a potentially challenging fixture.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Form table in last 19 games has Leicester 13th and dropping, they are matching Newcastle, with just a point more than Palace. That same table has Chelsea 6th.

If we take it from the restart, Chelsea are 4th, Leicester 16th :eek:

It’s night and day @VP89, Leicester are done. Even their own fans know it.
Let's see. When I see both teams play its a dire state. I think Leicester could well have come back vs Bournemouth if it wasn't for their red card but Chelsea look further and further away as the games progress.

It's going to be little between these two in my opinion. Even if Leicester finish 5th, I reckon there will be a whisker between them and Chelsea.

I just really hate Chelsea :lol:

rotherham_red

The good thing for Leicester is that they have that goal difference cushion.

They need to eke out 2 wins from their next 3, but that fixture list does not look pretty for them, even if they had a fully fit squad.

InfiniteBoredom

The good thing for Leicester is that they have that goal difference cushion.

They need to eke out 2 wins from their next 3, but that fixture list does not look pretty for them, even if they had a fully fit squad.
Ideally Chavski loses to Pool and draw one other game, then Leicester only need to win 1 and can play out a bore draw with us last game of the season. Everybody win.