Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

acnumber9

Just 5 points between them and United. If United lose to Liverpool, could see us finishing 3rd.
That would require Leicester to get results away to United, away to Chelsea and home to Spurs with a cup final thrown in between. This same team just scraped a win against Crystal Palace.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Leicester’s last 3 look tough. United, Chelsea, spurs.

if we avoid defeat to them at OT, i reckon we’ll finish above them

rotherham_red

Just 5 points between them and United. If United lose to Liverpool, could see us finishing 3rd.
Leicester have us, Chelsea and Spurs in their final three games. I don't see them getting enough points on the board from those three games to get near enough to have second place be in danger IMO

always_hoping

Weird thought. I doubt they give a flying feck as long as they get CL. They aren’t finishing ahead of us.
Plenty of weird things happens in this sport, look at Liverpool whom won the league with 6 games to spare last season and in danger of missing out on a top 4 finish this season.

As I said If Leicester was to win in Old Trafford the gap between 2nd and 3rd would be 2 points and United have Liverpool next where I'd expect more of focus to be placed on the 2nd leg v Roma so possibility points could be dropped there

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I guess the negative Nancy's worrying about finishing 3rd is better than them convinced we wouldn't finish top 4 as was the case 7 days ago

Cant wait till the start of next season when the relegation talk can start again :lol:

Jonesno.8

Minimum don't lose the weekend and that will be driven by how we fare against Roma ie needing to win the second leg or not. 2nd v 3rd v little difference however trophy be good for this team. If Roma is in the bag (no easy task) then go for it and would love to stuff the scousers.

croadyman

Plenty of weird things happens in this sport, look at Liverpool whom won the league with 6 games to spare last season and in danger of missing out on a top 4 finish this season.

As I said If Leicester was to win in Old Trafford the gap between 2nd and 3rd would be 2 points and United have Liverpool next where I'd expect more of focus to be placed on the 2nd leg v Roma so possibility points could be dropped there
Leicester play before us on Friday night against Southampton so could be two points before Sunday anyway

Witchking

Leicester have us, Chelsea and Spurs in their final three games. I don't see them getting enough points on the board from those three games to get near enough to have second place be in danger IMO
There's a very small chance for them. On their day, they can beat anyone. Hoping United tie up second with a win against Liverpool. Will be glorious.

Witchking

That would require Leicester to get results away to United, away to Chelsea and home to Spurs with a cup final thrown in between. This same team just scraped a win against Crystal Palace.
End of the season, scrappy wins are expected. It will be great if Liverpool are out of the running and I am hoping United do the deed and win next week. It's been a while since we win against them in the league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The only way we'd lose 2nd to them is if they beat us, and if they do then fair enough, they'll deserve it. I think they should be more worried about losing their spot to Chelsea.
Outside of bragging rights does 2nd 3rd or 4th really matter even slightly?

SinNombre

Both CL and PL prize money.

Also United finishing closer to City than whoever finishes in 3rd would obviously be a morale boost and help with transfers going into next season.

mu4c_20le

Financially? Probably not, more of an ego thing. The last place of the group. One of those things that are forgotten if Rodgers wins the cup, but if not, then droping from 2nd to 4th and a cup defeat takes a bit of shine from the season.

Infra-red

No not really and it doesn't count for much the following season (as we showed in 2018/19).

Bit of a morale booster I suppose, if you finish "best of the rest".

Bertie Wooster

Although it doesn't really matter whether we finished 2nd-4th, I suspect Ole will be eager to finish 2nd and show continued improvement from last seasons 3rd.

If so, then I'd much prefer us get 2nd tied up sooner rather than later so that we can a) rest players if needed for Europa games and, b) following on from that, give some opportunities to the likes of VDB, Amad, Shoretire, Mejbri (the former two as starters, the latter probably sub appearances).

With that in mind, I was hoping Leicester would drop points today to help us sow up 2nd - even though their win helps with the whole 'denying Liverpool and Chelsea CL spots'.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm totally relaxed, not surprised to see people shitting Mars bars though. Standard on here. We've been 2nd most of the season, if we throw it away from here so be it, it'll be deserved and pretty pathetic.

At least this thread has conceded that we are finishing in the top 4 finally :lol:

cyberman

It does if youre a clear second and not struggling for top 4 every single year. Shows improvement. The clear next step is a 90 points target while others will be worrying about top 4. Again.

Mike Smalling

Think the top 4 might end up exactly like it is now. Leicester's next two games are quite winnable, while Chelsea will play Man City, meaning the gap between them could widen to six points or more with three games left to play. West Ham will fall short I think, and Liverpool are still struggling - they will continue to drop points despite their easy schedule.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It does if youre a clear second and not struggling for top 4 every single year. Shows improvement. The clear next step is a 90 points target while others will be worrying about top 4. Again.
That's not always how it works though. Liverpool jumped from back to back seasons of scraping into 4th place to 97 points missing out on the league by a single point in one season. Other than just being happy in the knowledge that you were comfortably the best of the rest, I personally wouldn't care much more beyond that if it were Chelsea in United's position.

cyberman

That's not always how it works though. Liverpool jumped from back to back seasons of scraping into 4th place to 97 points missing out on the league by a single point in one season. Other than just being happy in the knowledge that you were comfortably the best of the rest, I personally wouldn't care much more beyond that if it were Chelsea in United's position.
Comfortably being top 4, continuing the good form from last year and building on it, is surely better than another struggle for top 4? Liverpools 97 point season came from a fantastic second half of the season before when they kicked on after Christmas and reached a CL final.
Nobody is going from 60 something points, 3 years in a row to suddenly challenging City in the 90 point range. Its wishful thinking.
If Chelsea were comfortable second, wouldn't that mean Werner etc were definite successes and you had less to do in the summer transfer market? Youre up against West Ham and Leicester, even Everton could make a run. Instead of making fine tunes and adding on, youre going to end up pretending Werner etc will step up and convincing yourselves that the leap isnt that big.
I mean, Chelsea arent even guarenteed top 4, your run in is horrendous. Second means a lot.

charlenefan

Of course the Chelsea fans don't see a difference between sitting 2nd most of the season and being in and out of 4th place as long as they finish 4th eventually

They'd be singing a different tune if the roles were reversed though obviously

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Of course the Chelsea fans don't see a difference between sitting 2nd most of the season and being in and out of 4th place as long as they finish 4th eventually

I'd rather have our season than yours thanks.

charlenefan

I'd rather have our season than yours thanks.
Of course you would because everything at Chelsea is the best ever cleary

I mean who wouldn't want to spend millions in the summer on attacking players for them all to flop, to play awful football and barely score, to sack their club legend of a manager half way into the season, to be in a top 4 fight with West Ham and to maybe finish the season without a trophy. That's the dream isn't it?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Comfortably being top 4, continuing the good form from last year and building on it, is surely better than another struggle for top 4? Liverpools 97 point season came from a fantastic second half of the season before when they kicked on after Christmas and reached a CL final.
Nobody is going from 60 something points, 3 years in a row to suddenly challenging City in the 90 point range. Its wishful thinking.
If Chelsea were comfortable second, wouldn't that mean Werner etc were definite successes and you had less to do in the summer transfer market? Youre up against West Ham and Leicester, even Everton could make a run. Instead of making fine tunes and adding on, youre going to end up pretending Werner etc will step up and convincing yourselves that the leap isnt that big.
I mean, Chelsea arent even guarenteed top 4, your run in is horrendous. Second means a lot.
Yes of course it's better. No-one is saying otherwise. We'd all take being in your position in the league, but when the season is over, unless we narrowly lost out in a title fight, I certainly wouldn't feel drastically different if we finished 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

Chelsea are winning games consistently now without a constant stream of Werner goals, so no being second wouldn't necessarily mean Werner was a rousing success.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I somehow suspect so would you, but hey.

I can't speak for any other Chelsea fans, but they are my genuinely held views regardless of who is second.

George the Cat

Does 2018 stand out as a great season?
No me neither.
we finished 2nd that season, really not that bothered if we don’t this season.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Of course you would because everything at Chelsea is the best ever cleary

I mean who wouldn't want to spend millions in the summer on attacking players for them all to flop, to play awful football and barely score, to sack their club legend of a manager half way into the season, to be in a top 4 fight with West Ham and to maybe finish the season without a trophy. That's the dream isn't it?
Finishing 2nd or 4th is no difference
Neither wins the trophy both get cl.
We gonna pretend we not in a CL semi final and a cup final now?

charlenefan

Finishing 2nd or 4th is no difference
Neither wins the trophy both get cl.
We gonna pretend we not in a CL semi final and a cup final now?
Not prentending no (if you weren't in a position to win a trophy full stop I wouldn't have said you maybe wouldn't win one) but just as you don't get a trophy for finishing 2nd you don't get a trophy for being a runner up in a cup competition either and if you want to talk about pretending let's not pretend you've had it tough in the draws that have seen you get to where you are in those competitions. City, PSG and Madrid have all had tougher routes to the CL SF's than Chelsea and bar the SF in the FA Cup you had it easy in that competition as well

But like I said everything at Chelsea is the best ever always isn't it

charlenefan

I somehow suspect so would you, but hey.

I can't speak for any other Chelsea fans, but they are my genuinely held views regardless of who is second.
Last season despite not challenging for the title City were comfortably sat in 2nd while us, Chelsea and Leicester were scrambling for a top 4 finish on the final day

This season we've been sat comfortably in 2nd while Chelsea have still be scrambling for a top 4 finish

You really saying there's no difference?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Second means a lot.
I guess you were telling yourself that in 2018 as well before finishing 6th in 2019. It really doesn't mean that much.

I'd much rather be in Chelsea's position right now than yours to close the season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Last season despite not challenging for the title City were comfortably sat in 2nd while us, Chelsea and Leicester were scrambling for a top 4 finish on the final day

This season we've been sat comfortably in 2nd while Chelsea have still be scrambling for a top 4 finish

Chelsea were 3th the year before they won the title in 2015.
Leicester were 14th the year before they won the title in 2016.
Chelsea were 10th the year before they won the title in 2017.
City were 3th the year before they won the title in 2018.

Stop pretending like finishing 2nd guarantees a title challenge the season after. So many things change during one offseason that it's impossible to predict who will or won't be up there next season. Utd dropped off a cliff the last time they "comfortably finished 2nd".

charlenefan

Chelsea were 3th the year before they won the title in 2015.
Leicester were 14th the year before they won the title in 2016.
Chelsea were 10th the year before they won the title in 2017.
City were 3th the year before they won the title in 2018.

Stop pretending like finishing 2nd guarantees a title challenge the season after. So many things change during one offseason that it's impossible to predict who will or won't be up there next season. Utd dropped off a cliff the last time they "comfortably finished 2nd".
I'm not expecting us to challenge next season at all? I don't expect us to do anything in the summer whereas odds are everyone else will so not sure why you're coming at me with that?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I'd prefer to be second than still trying to scrape into 4th, that's a given, so please don't take this as me trying to shit on United's season. I'm just saying once the season is over, I personally wouldn't feel drastically different about finishing 2nd or 4th.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I'd prefer to be second than still trying to scrape into 4th, that's a given, so please don't take this as me trying to shit on United's season. I'm just saying once the season is over, I personally wouldn't feel drastically different about finishing 2nd or 4th.
Although I'd love us winning the FA cup and CL and do a photo-finish for 4th (ideally 3rd but 4th would do as well) though. Not a lot of teams I would "trade" season with - actually none - and definitely not a club finishing 2nd, without any real shot at the title, and winning the EL. But it's quite pointless to disuss this atm imho.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Although I'd love us winning the FA cup and CL and do a photo-finish for 4th (ideally 3rd but 4th would do as well) though. Not a lot of teams I would "trade" season with - actually none - and definitely not a club finishing 2nd, without any real shot at the title, and winning the EL. But it's quite pointless to disuss this atm imho.
Really? Not even City?