Music Top five rappers all time

Hoof the ball

Kendrick? Talk about jumping the gun. He’s not on any “all time” list yet....not even for Pimp a Butterfly. His follow up, Damn, isn’t close to being that good. If he puts out a few more “Pimp” level albums then we can have this conversation.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Why would you name JayZ or Eminem anyway lol
Depends what you're taking into account, Eminem has some incredible lyrics and seeing as he launched his career by winning rap battles he's clearly a good rapper. I agree Jay Z is more of a good producer than a good rapper.

Glad to see no one has mentioned 50 cent yet.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
My top five without Pac, Nas and Biggie.

Ghostface Killah
Ice Cube
Rakim
Big Pun
Black Thought

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if anyone else is like me but I prefer old rappers today, their voices changed and they are cleaner. O.C is the one that made me realize it the most:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Depends what you're taking into account, Eminem has some incredible lyrics and seeing as he launched his career by winning rap battles he's clearly a good rapper. I agree Jay Z is more of a good producer than a good rapper.

Glad to see no one has mentioned 50 cent yet.
I was close to mentioning 50 Cent.

Spoony

The People's President
I don't know if anyone else is like me but I prefer old rappers today, their voices changed and they are cleaner. O.C is the one that made me realize it the most:

Indeed. I also prefer hip hop from the early to mid 90s.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Between 2003 and 2007 he was the biggest rapper, you don't get there by being bad
Yeah he reached a peak that not many rappers have been. Problem with 50 is that he only has two very good albums (1 classic) the rest of his albums have been average.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yeah he reached a peak that not many rappers have been. Problem with 50 is that he only has two very good albums (1 classic) the rest of his albums have been average.
It just feels like after Curtis he got bored with making music and turned his attention to doing other things, he has plenty of good mixtapes too, his song for the Power intro is fantastic as well.

jem

I'm going all Wu-Tang here:

1. Raekwon
2. Ghostface
3. Method Man
4. GZA
5. Inspectah Deck

jem

How about RZA? You think Inspectah Deck is better than him?
Love RZA's productions obviously, but not crazy about his actual rapping (4th Chamber being a glorious exception.) There's nobody better for kicking off a track than Inspectah Deck (Triumph, Guillotine, Assassination Day, Protect Ya Neck...)

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Love RZA's productions obviously, but not crazy about his actual rapping (4th Chamber being a glorious exception.) There's nobody better for kicking off a track than Inspectah Deck (Triumph, Guillotine, Assassination Day, Protect Ya Neck...)
Fair enough

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Rakim
Redman
Budden
Jadakiss

Honourable mentions to my top 3 favourite rapper ever, Method Man. Scarface and Q-Tip should probably be in there in place of someone but I can't switch anyone out. Also feels Criminal to leave off Snoop and Kendrick with Jada on there, but I listened to him for years and Snoop/Kendrick have never found themselves in my rotation for more than a month.

IhabX7

Top 5 is not my thing. But I'll weigh in with my favourite 5 right now:

Ka
DOOM
Kendrick Lamar
Daylyt
Denzel Curry

Top 5 would have to include, 3 Stacks and Ghostface. Kanye as well if it's not just about the rapping.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rakim
Red Man
Ice Cube
Mos Def
Andre 3000
Big Daddy Kane
Big L

Damn it’s too hard to name 5. They’re all giants of hip hop.

Loublaze

ATLien
Dr. Dre is not a rapper, merely a hiphop artist, producer and icon. He's like Diddy with actual respect for his ghost written bars. My top five:

1. Biggie
2. Jay-Z
3. Nas
4. Andre 3000
5. Tupac

Black thought, Eminem, Rakim, Lauryn Hill, Ice Cube, Mos Def, Big Punisher, T.I, Scarface, Busta Rhymes, Kendrick Lamar are up there.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Top 5 is not my thing. But I'll weigh in with my favourite 5 right now:

Ka
DOOM
Kendrick Lamar
Daylyt
Denzel Curry

Top 5 would have to include, 3 Stacks and Ghostface. Kanye as well if it's not just about the rapping.
Really? :houllier: Has his music actually gotten better?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Dr. Dre is not a rapper, merely a hiphop artist, producer and icon. He's like Diddy with actual respect for his ghost written bars. My top five:

1. Biggie
2. Jay-Z
3. Nas
4. Andre 3000
5. Tupac

Black thought, Eminem, Rakim, Lauryn Hill, Ice Cube, Mos Def, Big Punisher, T.I, Scarface, Busta Rhymes, Kendrick Lamar are up there.
Yeah agree about Dre.

BTW the op asked for top 5 excluding Biggie, Pac, Jay etc.

The Bloody-Nine

Dre doesn't even write his own lyrics.

I'd say:

Rakim (obviously, and I can't believe he didn't make the excluded list)
Big L
Pharoahe Monche
KRS1
Maybe Big Daddy Kane. Undecided.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Probably not popular but I don’t think Snoop has lived up to his initial potential since Deathrow. No Limit saved him but career wise probably didn’t have that level of talent and competition.

Can’t argue with his delivery though, one of the smoothest out there and keeps it simple.