Top Four Race 2017/18

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Just two league games ago Spurs were four points off the top four and looked in crisis. Now they're back in the top four on goal difference.

Title is looking near enough sorted. United and Chelsea look good bets for second and third (though there's only four points separating third from fourth) but just one point separates fourth from seventh.

Very early in the season but who do you reckon will finish in the top four? What will the consequences be for those who don't? Manager sacked, players leaving? Track the twists and turns here as the title race thread is getting a bit boring.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
How the hell do Burnley have 31 points after only scoring 16 goals?

PoTMS

I reckon City to run away with the league, United second, Spurs 3rd and Chelsea 4th. Liverpool and Arsenal will round up the top 6.

Enigma_87

You know who
City, United and Chelsea are set in stone. The last spot will be interesting. Probably Liverpool look the least hopeless out of the lot.

shaky

Hopefully we can keep a nice gap for the rest of the season to avoid a nervy run-in. Chelsea 3rd. My money's on Arsenal to just nick it from Spurs at the end. Liverpool can have their 6th spot back.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully we can keep a nice gap for the rest of the season to avoid a nervy run-in. Chelsea 3rd. My money's on Arsenal to just nick it from Spurs at the end. Liverpool can have their 6th spot back.
Hope not. Arsenal waste their CL spot every year and will continue to do so until Wenger leaves.

AXVnee7

City who are as it stands the clear best team with no equal. Then if possible I would like us to establish another tier with ourselves in it, and possibly Chelsea, with a sizeable gap from the other 3.

We're in a weird position at the moment. Any other season and we'd be in the title race, yet at 11 points it is very far away. Despite that we're not really in a top 4 race just yet. A couple of bad results can change that but as long as we keep our overall form up we should be fairly comfortable. So that's why we should continue to strive for that perfect form we felt we needed in order to catch City, even if we know the chances of it actually happening are now remote. Of course the other teams are inferior so we have a lot more room for errors should they happen.

Infra-red

I'll stick with my August prediction.

City
Chelsea
United
Spurs

In terms of the possible consequences... I think if Klopp or Pochettino miss top 4, they'll keep their jobs. Mourinho would be fired. I expect Conte and Wenger will leave in the summer in any event.

el3mel

Don't favor Arsenal at all, so the most consistent of results between Liverpool and Spurs will got the 4th spot. I'll fancy Spurs, though.

Cathy Ferguson

Surely Wenger can't remain at Arsenal if they miss out on CL for two years in a row? Or maybe he can? Klopp might also be on his way out if Liverpool miss out on the CL. Chelsea, Spurs and United will probably be quite content with finishing in the top four, realizing that City are just miles ahead of the rest.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Spurs have only 2 points less after the same number of games as last season. They tend to be strong in the second half of the season.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
City who are as it stands the clear best team with no equal. Then if possible I would like us to establish another tier with ourselves in it, and possibly Chelsea, with a sizeable gap from the other 3.

We're in a weird position at the moment. Any other season and we'd be in the title race, yet at 11 points it is very far away. Despite that we're not really in a top 4 race just yet. A couple of bad results can change that but as long as we keep our overall form up we should be fairly comfortable. So that's why we should continue to strive for that perfect form we felt we needed in order to catch City, even if we know the chances of it actually happening are now remote. Of course the other teams are inferior so we have a lot more room for errors should they happen.
Yeah. If we have a good record over the winter period - with City v Spurs, Arsenal v Liverpool and Arsenal v Chelsea during that time frame - we might not have to be worried about being dragged in the top four race for the first time since Fergie was manager (this is the fifth season since he retired). Just a shame for us City are so far ahead as it puts us in a sort of limbo and might lead to complacency.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Top 3 as it is (United or Chelsea in any order)

I'd kind of like Arsenal to get in, if they don't and they fail in the Europa than another FA Cup can't save Wenger. Tottenham are the most balanced but they lack cover for Kane, Alli is having a quiet one thus far if they don't bring in decent cover in January I can see them just missing out. Liverpool's Attack should have them in already but their defence and keeper should have them at the other end of the table. Of the 3 I'd probably go with, oh feck it Burnley the dark horse to finish in 4th :devil:

T A

Two-horse race, Manchester civil war. Chelsea is fragile this season, must be joking if the rest is called 'contenders'

Canagel

City 18 points clear of 4th place. It's the perfect season for them so far. United and Chelsea are equally matched. Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will fight it out for 4th with maybe Spurs challenging Chelsea for 3rd.

Bojan11

We have Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool at home.

Those will be crucial games that we need to not drop points in.

Paul_Scholes18

I feel quite safe about us in it. Just as much as I feel we have no chance to catch City. The main focus for us can be the cups in the future. I think against Bristol though we should rest a lot of players although Pogba should be back and I would like him and Ibra to start and have some fun. Could need a big win and some nice football in that one.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
As long as those wankers on Merseyside don't get it.

City, United, Chelsea, Tottenham.

Looks nailed on to me.

Infra-red

Yeah. If we have a good record over the winter period - with City v Spurs, Arsenal v Liverpool and Arsenal v Chelsea during that time frame - we might not have to be worried about being dragged in the top four race for the first time since Fergie was manager (this is the fifth season since he retired). Just a shame for us City are so far ahead as it puts us in a sort of limbo and might lead to complacency.
I'm hoping they might suffer from a little of that themselves - surely the only thing now that will prevent them from smashing both the points and goals scored records (currently 9 points and 10 goals ahead of where the record holders were at this stage).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We have Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool at home.

Those will be crucial games that we need to not drop points in.

I can see 7 points from those games. Which would be totally fine. And I take a point at Wembley right now against Spurs.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
City, United and Chelsea are save for me.

Arsenal has no chance, still Liverpool will get the 4th place.

DCP

City
United
Chelsea
Any of the rest, I'd love it to be Burnley please, if not Spurs, then Arsenal, then Leicester, then Watford, then finally Liverpool please.

I'd take that and the champions league.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
12 points from the last 5 games has been crucial for us while the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool have been dropping unexpected points. Shows how easily it can change.

Ban

We're looking good right now for top 3. One of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool will fight it out for 4th.
Or maybe even Burnley too.

minoo-utd

If we finish runners up behind this City team it will be good progression to the last season.
I reckon City United Chelsea Spurs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
City will win the league comfortably
We'll finish second comfortably
Beyond that it really could be any 2 from 4 as they're all patchy as one another. My prediction though would be

1- City
2- Utd
3- Chelsea
4- Spurs