Television Top Gear

Hal9000

What TV show were they referring to when they talked about animals? The joke seemed to be at Hammond's expense
Planet Earth Live, which he presented. Pretty much no animals were caught on camera during the "live" shots and most of it was pre recorded.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I missed it last night so I'll try to find a stream later in the week. It's been a decent series so far, but it could really do with a fresh face. Maybe that German woman to be given a slot every week or two.

Levo

Band of Brothers
It was, should be repeated in the next few days or they is always BBC iPlayer.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's a load of bollox and it's well beyond a car show now.
Basically it's 3 lads getting sent all over the world on someone elses money on epic adventures that are scripted to feck!
It's a fecking dream job.

Hal9000

I somehow doubt the beeb is getting the show for free.
It's a BBC program, but due to the amount it's picked up internationally (170 countries?), how much they have sold the format for and the DVD sales etc etc. It's does not need any funding from the license fees. It probably makes way more for the BBC than it does to produce.

Castia

I love the show but the scripting is terrible :lol: you can see what's gonna happen 5 minutes before the event occurs. Still a great show though.

Irwinwastheking

It's a BBC program, but due to the amount it's picked up internationally (170 countries?), how much they have sold the format for and the DVD sales etc etc. It's does not need any funding from the license fees. It probably makes way more for the BBC than it does to produce.
Exactly. People need to get over themselves about that with top gear as it's just nonsense. You might as well give out about the cost of Rooney's wage because the FA cup final is on the beeb.

(not really the same)

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I used to rush home to watch Top Gear, never missed an episode & looked forward to it every week. For me it was the best thing on TV.

I didn't see either of these specials people are raving about & I doubt I'll watch them on iPlayer (partly because I don't have the time, tbf). I haven't seen much of the last few series either. If I remember I'll watch it, but I usually forget these days.

Justin

I love the show but the scripting is terrible :lol: you can see what's gonna happen 5 minutes before the event occurs. Still a great show though.
I didn't expect the log handbrake to smash the back window though. :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's a load of bollox and it's well beyond a car show now.
Basically it's 3 lads getting sent all over the world on someone elses money on epic adventures that are scripted to feck!
It's a fecking dream job.
Then don't watch it. Simple.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I didn't expect the log handbrake to smash the back window though. :lol:
Really? I thought that bit, the Scorpio being dropped in the river and the chair falling off Hammond's roof were the most predictable bits!

The scripting has been an issue for years, some of the mini challenges they do in episodes have been awful - like the DIY mobility scooters, but these big special episodes like Africa, Vietnam, Jerusalem etc are so good that you can forgive it.

Also, I have to say, this season as a whole seems to have improved dramatically. Ignoring Clarkson's 'P45' car segment, which was shit.

JmRssll555

Reading through this thread, I can't help but feel that some people over-analyse the show.

I take it for what it is - an entertaining programme with an automotive theme which provides some enjoyable watching on a Sunday night. Of course, the gags are sometimes very scripted and you can often see things coming long before they actually happen, but who really cares? Just watch it and stop over thinking it.

I appreciate that people have differing opinions about the presenters on the show too, but in truth, neither of them are particularly offensive viewing.

pauldyson1uk

Very good , not the best special, that goes to the Polar one or Vietnam.
I loved the helecopeter and the car ferry was very impressive, wonder how much help they had building it.
Mind you there was no way Hammond fixed his car with a few bits of metal and what was left of the wishbone and then hammered it down that dodgy road,but see past the scripting and the massive back-up team and it was very enjoyable.

Mind you there was no way Hammond fixed his car with a few bits of metal and what was left of the wishbone and then hammered it down that dodgy road,but see past the scripting and the massive back-up team and it was very enjoyable.
Exactly. Just look at how many spare wheels they had with them. Hammond finished the show with an entirely different set of rims.

pauldyson1uk

Exactly. Just look at how many spare wheels they had with them. Hammond finished the show with an entirely different set of rims.
yeah I noticed that too and Capt slow just happened to have some brand new wheels and rubber.
Like I said before I can see past that and enjoy it.
The log smashing the back windows was funny and the air bags going off must of scared the shit out of Clarkson.

Justin

Really? I thought that bit, the Scorpio being dropped in the river and the chair falling off Hammond's roof were the most predictable bits!
No, not at the time of watching for me. I thought at most it would jam against something or it'd just fall out. Really didn't it flip up and smash the window. Died laughing on that one.

I thought the most scripted were the parts where they were stealing each others' panel parts and having them being "angry" at each other.

Irwinwastheking

I certainly feel it could do with a shake up, but barring death they won't replace one of the presenters. Clarkson has to stay but I'd replace the other two muppets.