Television Top Gear

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
I've seen both Hammond and Clarkson driving around a few times as I live close to both of them, I've never gone mental like that.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I've seen both Hammond and Clarkson driving around a few times as I live close to both of them, I've never gone mental like that.
wheres that then? doesnt Hammond live somewhere out in the sticks? Clarkson has a place on the IoM and Im sure somewhere near Oxford...we have narrowed you down mate..the hunt is on!! :D

lynchie

I've seen James May at the train station, which was a bit like seeing Richard Littlejohn at the MOBOs.

Unsurprisingly, they've used this as a the trail for the new series (starting next Sunday)

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Took me a while wondering how lunatic the driver was being to be filming at the same time. Only then I remembered you wankers drive on the wrong side of the road and have the wheel on the wrong side of the car.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I've already mentioned Top Gear on a completely different thread. The audience is now full of eye candy, which, while very nice to look at, is not what a motoring show should be all about.

I have watched some very old ones on Dave and they actually gave consumer advice & did 'deal of the week'.

Top gear used to be good a few years ago when it was a motoring show (and was my favourite show for a while) then it became an entertainment show and lost it's shine.

Clarkeson doesn't like Porsche's because they are Porsches and for no other reason, if they didn't have Porsche written on the back, they'd be best cars ever (which he knows they are but won't admit it).

Hamster can't drive although he knows a lot of interesting facts about cars which he used to demonstrate on Top Gear, but not anymore. He is a Porsche fan though.

May is an alright bloke but I get pissed off that he can get away with saying cock all the time before the 9.00pm watershed but John Lydon is not allowed to say cnut (which is the female version of a cock). Although, he is a Porsche fan. (And its even a banned word on here now )

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I've already mentioned Top Gear on a completely different thread. The audience is now full of eye candy, which, while very nice to look at, is not what a motoring show should be all about.

I have watched some very old ones on Dave and they actually gave consumer advice & did 'deal of the week'.
You can't say that about Clarkson and conceive that if it were any other car, he's praise it. I know lots of people that don't like Porsche. They find their cars bland and boring and thus, they don't get any excitement out of them. Clarkson has never called them rubbish, he just doesn't like them which is fair enough.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
You can't say that about Clarkson and conceive that if it were any other car, he's praise it. I know lots of people that don't like Porsche. They find their cars bland and boring and thus, they don't get any excitement out of them. Clarkson has never called them rubbish, he just doesn't like them which is fair enough.
Stop looking & start driving...

Or if you not in a position to drive, see what other people say about driving them...

MJLD

I love the challenges like the America episode, but I find the whole 'look at this fast car, a slightly improved version of the one we had here last month' incredibly dull.

prateik

they didnt have may in the first season , the fat bloke had a segment where he talked about getting the best deal ...

yes it has turned into more of an entertainment than a serious car review show , but its still worth watching ..
its not as good as it was a few seasons back tho ..

oh and their specials are brilliant ..

lynchie

If they were a serious car review show they'd have about a third of the audience. It's an entertainment show based around cars. If you want people comparing torque stats and gear ratios watch 5th Gear or that bollocks on ITV.

Moultz

im so glad i dont sound like that. Reminds me of those guys on kids programmes who put on the gayest voice to add excitement.. thats his normal voice.

as much as top gear is now just about supercars and funny/wacky scenarios i thoroughly enjoy it. I personally am not a car buff so the entertainment factor makes the show for me. The trips to like Vietnam, Romania, America, Zimbawe were awesome amongst others

Excal

He seems to prefer Porsches. Which, y'know, fair play, especially over a Morris Marina, but having a mad-on for Clarkson because he doesn't like Porsches is a bit the same.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
In the last couple of series they have gone OTT, the challenges I liked the most were the public transport / car across Europe journeys though they've exhausted them.

Saying that the likes of the various modes of transport across London was both informative and hilarious at the same time.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Are you part of the Morris Marina Owner's Club?
Not at all, but there aren't that many left and to keep deliberately destroying them is a shame, they also detroyed a Rover SD1, an Austin Princess, a Dolomite Sprint, some Italian exotica, various Porsches, the list goes on

He seems to prefer Porsches. Which, y'know, fair play, especially over a Morris Marina, but having a mad-on for Clarkson because he doesn't like Porsches is a bit the same.
I agree with some of Clarkson's rants but he also talks quite a lot of crap. I just get annoyed that the only resaon he doesn't like Porsches is because they are Porches. Having said that he did admit to liking the Carrera GT and various GT3s (I think).

mufcwarm92

I actually have no interest in cars but I'm a Top Gear addict. Great show and great presenters combine to make it a top draw programme. And it's probably the reason that it's the most watched British TV programme outside the UK.

mufcwarm92

I rest my case...:(
So I guess that's the problem? Car nuts like ou can't get their fix from it? I guess that's a fair enough criticism given that they don't spend alot of time getting into the nitty-gritty, but I have alot of mates who are really into cars but still love the show.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I rest my case...:(
So what exactly is the problem??? You don't like it, watch something else. There's always the cheap rip off version in Fifth Gear. Sure Topgear may be more entertainment based, but Clarkson and co are not shy to tell you when a car is a piece of shit or not worth a penny. Most other motoring shows just try to blow sunshine up the manufacturers arse, and thats what made them standouts in their industy.

Let me give it to you this way.

Look at their challenge to find the best driving road in the world. No hesitation to call the Aston Martin a pile of shit on the road, or the needlessly pointless x6. Or for example Clarksons opinion on Porsche that alot of motoring Journo's don't have the balls to say. You can't denote Clarksons Opinion because he doesn't agree that Porsches are the best cars in the world. I for one agree with him in a sense, where they're hardly the most beautiful cars in the world, and it seems like every time they throw out a new car, they take the safe option. They have spewed out 3 cars that for me show what they can really do if they take that risk. The 959, the 911 GT1 and the Carrera GT. And surprise surprise, he's loved all of them....

As a car nut, I enjoy Topgear because it shows what the essence of driving is really about. It does'nt sit behind a veiled curtain, too afraid to tell the world how it is.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
It's not a car show anymore, which is the biggest shame. What I mean is they should concentrate on cars rather than stupidly contrived segments. And I hate Hammond. feck off you Clarkson wannabe cnut.
Totally agreed.

Some of the stunts/tasks they do are quite funny, but I'd much rather watch 60 minutes of proper car reviews.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
So what exactly is the problem??? You don't like it, watch something else. There's always the cheap rip off version in Fifth Gear. Sure Topgear may be more entertainment based, but Clarkson and co are not shy to tell you when a car is a piece of shit or not worth a penny. Most other motoring shows just try to blow sunshine up the manufacturers arse, and thats what made them standouts in their industy.

Let me give it to you this way.

Look at their challenge to find the best driving road in the world. No hesitation to call the Aston Martin a pile of shit on the road, or the needlessly pointless x6. Or for example Clarksons opinion on Porsche that alot of motoring Journo's don't have the balls to say. You can't denote Clarksons Opinion because he doesn't agree that Porsches are the best cars in the world. I for one agree with him in a sense, where they're hardly the most beautiful cars in the world, and it seems like every time they throw out a new car, they take the safe option. They have spewed out 3 cars that for me show what they can really do if they take that risk. The 959, the 911 GT1 and the Carrera GT. And surprise surprise, he's loved all of them....

As a car nut, I enjoy Topgear because it shows what the essence of driving is really about. It does'nt sit behind a veiled curtain, too afraid to tell the world how it is.
Hmm...They said that the Maserati was shit in the last one & then said that is the one everyone should buy. Clarkeson thought the Panamera was the best car (and he hates Porsches) the only reason being that he could do lairy powerslides in it, I presume. The general consensus amongst the serious motoring press is that the Panarmera has poor steering feel which, seeing as this is normally a Porsche strength, is dissapointing.

So they are not afraid to say the worst cars are the best, and they do this over & over again.

They seem to have this permanent hardon for Alfas, saying that your are not a proper car nut unless you have owned an Alfa, despite the fact that they haven't made a decent driving Alfa for 20 years. My mate had one in the 80s and was trying to get me to have one, but the thought of spending every spare moment getting it to run reliably and the rest of the time putting back things that had fallen off didn't appeal (and at the time I was running a very old Mini).

What is annoying is this started out as a car enthusiats show presented by car nuts, and be under no illusion they are very much car nuts, especially Hamster who has an encyclopedic car knowledge verging on the geeky, and now its mostly just silly nonsence to appeal to a mass audience.

Totally agreed.

Some of the stunts/tasks they do are quite funny, but I'd much rather watch 60 minutes of proper car reviews.
Sums it up in a nutshell, but they sell it around the world & it makes a stack of cash for the BBC & the presenters.

It did used to be my favourite show & I still try to watch it. I used to read the Top Gear magazine aswell, until I realised it was a comic...

The presenters appear to have become caracatures of themselves...

B Cantona

Desperate
Those still complaining it isn't just a pure car review show anymore have just missed the point entirely. There's a reason it's hugely popular, nigh there's a reason they cancelled the previous incarnation of Top Gear

What's disappointing is that the current format is now stale, and say tonight, they've resorted to stuff they've already done before, only that much more obviously faked, and therefore that much more obviously unfunny

The last series was the worst by far, and I was hoping they'd come up with some new ideas to re-refresh the concept, but apparently not