Top three actors in modern film

ciderman9000000

I really don't think so, you've got it mixed up man. Forest Whitaker was Morpheus, Fishburne was in Ocean's 11. But I might have gotten it wrong indeed, could've been Eddie Murphy. It's easy to get them mixed up, they usually play quite similar characters you see.
Wasn't it Chris Tucker in Ocean's Eleven? Or am I confusing him with Chris Rock?

Anyway, Forest Whitaker certainly wasn't Morpheus because that was Martin Laurence.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really don't think so, you've got it mixed up man. Forest Whitaker was Morpheus, Fishburne was in Ocean's 11. But I might have gotten it wrong indeed, could've been Eddie Murphy. It's easy to get them mixed up, they usually play quite similar characters you see.
Couldn't have been Eddie Murphy, I think he was off playing every single character in Barbershop 8.

JP77

Di Caprio is leagues ahead of everybody else for me, nobody even comes close.

Probably Denzel in second. Not too sure on the third, quite a few in the mix. Would be a different matter if we're talking actresses as well.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
3. Sam Rockwell. I was thinking Michael Fassbender but I can't think past Prometheus and Shame without checking IMDB for him. Sam Rockwell is brilliant in both comedic and serious roles. I've always liked him since Matchstick Men.

Rockwell's a very good shout. Actors with great comedic sensibilities rarely get a fare shift in "great" acting accolades. It's a harder discipline than the kind of constant intensity a lot of serious actors get huge plaudits for, and you often find a lot of great comics can do serious acting better than serious ones can do comedy. Rockwell covers the board quite well.

I'd say someone like Hardy, Ejiofor, Bardem or Fassbender at the moment. Though that's possibly too modern. Di Caprio's gone up a lot in my estimation since he's started doing more exuberant roles. The running around in Scorsese films looking angry thing wasn't doing it for me.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Sean Penn
Javier Bardem
Joaquin Phoenix
Viggo Mortensen
Michael Fassbender
Gael Garcia Bernal
Vincent Cassel

Three of them.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Another Nic Cage vote here. The other two are irrelevant.
But to be honest, on his day, he can pull out performances that nobody else can. He just needs to work with directors that know how to use his insanity. He was absolutely brilliant in Adaptation and The Bad Lieutenant as well as Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas, Red Rock West etc.

No.8

But to be honest, on his day, he can pull out performances that nobody else can. He just needs to work with directors that know how to use his insanity. He was absolutely brilliant in Adaptation and The Bad Lieutenant as well as Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas, Red Rock West etc.
Leaving Las Vegas was very good and despite the berating I'm about to receive he was also very good in Face Off!

Nowhere near my top three though!

IrishLegend

Depends how modern we're talking.

I'd definitely have Jackson, Pacino and Nicholson up there, but I'm not sure you'd consider them Modern Actors anymore.

If we're talking sub 40 Years old:

Female: Ellen Page, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman
Male: DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Fassbender. Possibly Cooper and Hardy if they diversify a bit more.

No.8

Argh! How dare I leave out Jack Nicholson. Right here's my final three then.

Edward Norton
Samuel L. Jackson
Jack Nicholson

Revan

Assumptionman
Male: Christian Bale, Rusell Crowe, Tom Hanks (I am excluding old actors like Pacino, De Niro, Ford, Freeman etc).
Female: Natalie Portman, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron

Castia

Leonardo DiCaprio
Daniel Day Lewis
Denzel Washington

Top 3 up & comers:
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
Ryan Gosling

Cina

Julianne Moore
Amy Adams
Isabelle Huppert
Cate Blanchett
Naomi Watts
Marion Cotillard
Tilda Swinton
Jessica Chastain

Actresses.
I think the best way to measure an actress is by how much boob she's displayed in her films, as such Winslet wins, and in that regard, a severe lack of mention for Charlize Theron there.

Dante

Average bang
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Sean Penn
Javier Bardem
Joaquin Phoenix
Viggo Mortensen
Michael Fassbender
Gael Garcia Bernal
Vincent Cassel

Three of them.
You're doing it wrong.

It's meant to be one black actor + two white guys. If you want to change your list at a later date, the black actor can be exchanged for another black actor but not for a white actor.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Sean Penn
Javier Bardem
Joaquin Phoenix
Viggo Mortensen
Michael Fassbender
Gael Garcia Bernal
Vincent Cassel

Three of them.
What's your opinion on Di Caprio? Also, I'm surprised you didn't put Christopher Waltz in your list. I thought you rated him as a top actor?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Washington
Damon
Rockwell

Di Caprio misses out because the last film I saw him in was Gatsby... nobody benefited from that movie.