Top three actors in modern film

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Washington
Damon
Rockwell

Di Caprio misses out because the last film I saw him in was Gatsby... nobody benefited from that movie.
Agreed, altough I didn't think he was atrocious either. I rewatched Shutter Island a few days ago, now that was some tour de force, absolutely brilliant film and brilliant performance from him.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
he is responsible for one of the greatest scenes ever.. 'Goin' up!'

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
What's your opinion on Di Caprio? Also, I'm surprised you didn't put Christopher Waltz in your list. I thought you rated him as a top actor?
He's good but not quite top, top tier. I rate Waltz but he's basically just starred in two films, playing almost the same character.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't get the Denzel Washington love. I can't remember being blown away by anything he's done. Decent actor but nothing special.
Malcolm X and Training Day are two of my favourite acting performances, especially the former. I also really enjoyed his work in American Gangster and The Hurricane.

Depending on where you stand on Flight, he generally plays it safe/boring these days... but I still think his presence in films elevates them, and he has a natural charisma and watchability factor that few can match.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Agreed, altough I didn't think he was atrocious either. I rewatched Shutter Island a few days ago, now that was some tour de force, absolutely brilliant film and brilliant performance from him.
Yep, he's superb in Shutter Island. It's a crinimnally underseen and underappreciated movie in my opinion - it's Scorcese's best film since Goodfellas in my book.

He was of course, also excellent in Django (best thing about the film for me) and I really like him in Blood Diamond, though I know a fair few folk do not...

He's good but not quite top, top tier. I rate Waltz but he's basically just starred in two films, playing almost the same character.
I liked him in Carnage - which was a slightly different and interesting turn

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Apart from the fact that both characters were capable of being very witty and sarcastic, they were very different. I see what you mean though, although I'd imagine some of his foreign movies are probably good too.

Andrew~

Daniel Day-Lewis, Di Caprio, Ralph Fiennes, Guy Pierce, Tom Hardy (has the talented but is slowly getting typecast), Denzel Washington, Jake Gyllenhaal.

I would have liked to include Ed Norton and Joaquin Phoenix, but I haven't seen them in anything recently.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Malcolm X and Training Day are two of my favourite acting performances, especially the former. I also really enjoyed his work in American Gangster and The Hurricane.

Depending on where you stand on Flight, he generally plays it safe/boring these days... but I still think his presence in films elevates them, and he has a natural charisma and watchability factor that few can match.
I think Crimson Tide is my favourite of his. He just seems to play such similar characters too often.

Decent actor, charismatic and all that but a bit "meh" for me.

The ladies do love a bit of Denzel though.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And here's my "duffer is not a racist" top 3:

Forrest Whittaker, Don Cheadle, Jamie Foxx.

Morgan Freeman is exluded because of his appearance in Bruce (and Evan) Almighty. Sorry Morgan.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Daniel Day-Lewis, Di Caprio, Ralph Fiennes, Guy Pierce, Tom Hardy (has the talented but is slowly getting typecast), Denzel Washington, Jake Gyllenhaal.

I would have liked to include Ed Norton and Joaquin Phoenix, but I haven't seen them in anything recently.
He was brilliant in The Master.

Liam147

On Probation
Don't watch enough films to do this properly, but Di Caprio's number one for me. Done a lot of roles, been in tonnes of top films.

Protagonist in Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, Shutter Island, Inception, Great Gatsby, and an antagonist in Django. He'll have done loads of other big ones that I've not seen too I'm sure.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think Crimson Tide is my favourite of his. He just seems to play such similar characters too often.

Decent actor, charismatic and all that but a bit "meh" for me.

The ladies do love a bit of Denzel though.
Come on, that wry grin of his could charm the pants off of anyone.

No.8

Heath Ledger or will he only be remebered for playing the joker?

What about John Malkovich or Mark Whalberg? Suprising to me that Christian Bale has only had one mention too!

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Heath Ledger or will he only be remebered for playing the joker?

What about John Malkovich or Mark Whalberg? Suprising to me that Christian Bale has only had one mention too!
Ledger in Brokeback mountain was as good a performance as you will see,

Cali Red

No Brad Pitt takers? Kalifornia, 12 Monkeys, Interview with a Vampire.

Ed Norton is brilliant. Maybe showing my age but Harrison Ford.

Dante

Average bang
Just to add another name to the mix: Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's played everything from comedy to action to thriller to part-retard. I thought he was brilliant in Brick too, which was a performance not many people could do.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Awesome in 50/50 and never really looked like he was trying. Brick, Batman, Mysterious Skin, Looper, Lookout. All great.

Takeshi Kitano - Blood and Bones. That is all.

Then probably Di Caprio, everything he touches right now seems to be great.

ciderman9000000

No, because, I really don't think that it was an obvious joke! You just fecked up!
You're an idiot. Let's look at the supporting evidence...

All this was posted in the minutes leading up to my 'feck up'. First Dante confused Sean Penn with Sean Bean:

I'm going to assume you mean Sean Penn, otherwise you can feck right off.
Yes, sorry! Although Bean isn't that bad.
Whilst others, idiot included, started mentioning Morgan Freeman:

Morgan Freeman
I completely forgot about Morgan Freeman. I'll change Samuel L. Jackson to Morgan Freeman in my list.
Morgan Freeman plays the same character in every movie I've ever seen him in.
Immediately No.8 referred to him twice as simply 'Freeman':

Freeman is a good shout for sure.
Freeman is a top actor and owns the show the majority of the time.
Obviously then not genuinely thinking the discussion was on middle of the road, white actor Martin Freeman I offered:

I thought he was alright in Hitchhiker's Guide but didn't like him as The Hobbit.

One of the three best living actors? No way.
To which thickboy responded:

This is brilliant! :lol:
Woosh.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Samuel L Jackson is a terrible actor who has literally only been good in one role but has made a career from cashing in on the associated coolness. Also if we are going to go down that road Travolta was the better actor then and now.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yep, he's superb in Shutter Island. It's a crinimnally underseen and underappreciated movie in my opinion - it's Scorcese's best film since Goodfellas in my book.

He was of course, also excellent in Django (best thing about the film for me) and I really like him in Blood Diamond, though I know a fair few folk do not...

Agree with every part of this post. Love you AN! kiss kiss.

He was fantastic in Mysterious Skin.

This.

I also really rate Joaquin Phoenix who's a bit of a nutbag, very physical performances each time. Excellent in 8mm (haven't seen that film in ages!), Gladiator, Walk the Line, We own the night (one of my favourite films) and Two lovers. Haven't seen The Master though.

No.8

Samuel L Jackson is a terrible actor who has literally only been good in one role but has made a career from cashing in on the associated coolness. Also if we are going to go down that road Travolta was the better actor then and now.
Watch Unthinkable! Pulp Fiction isn't his only good film.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
"Older Actors"
Daniel Day Lewis
Sean Penn
Anthony Hopkins/Robert de Niro

"Younger Ones"
Michael Fassbender
Benedict Cumberbatch
Jesse Eissenberg/Tom Hardy/Di Caprio

Decotron

Shut it silly

A top three is pretty much impossible. My opinions change so much at times. I do consider Day Lewis and Cassel royalty though.