Top three actors in modern film

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Mads Mikkelsen
Ingvar E. Sigurðsson
Min-sik Choi

Better than many people mentioned here.

In Hollywoodland Joaquin Phoenix is one of the best.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I'm a big fan of Edward Norton (he's brilliant in Primal Fear!).

Fassbender is another terrific actor.

Di Caprio and McConaughey are two names I never thought I'd be tossing up in a discussion about best actors.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't know about best but I usually find Juliette Stephenson and David Wenham are worth watching.

Stringer

Fassbender is probably the one that has stuck out to me the most over the last few years. Incredibly versatile and should really have had an Oscar for Shame.

Jev

Yeah, Edward Norton has made some questionable career decisions since the turn of the century really.

Right here, right now: Fassbender, McConaughey, Joaquin Phoenix, Cranston.

Revan

Assumptionman
Excluding legends like Nicholson, De Niro, Pacino etc:

Christian Bale
Bryan Cranston
Tom Hanks

Natalie Portman
Naomi Watts
Julia Roberts

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
For actresses, once we've got the obvious Merryl Streep out of the way, there's still some excellent picks: Jessica Chastain is great and is going to have a brilliant career, as is Jennifer Lawrence. Cate Blanchett and Charlize Theron when they can be bothered. I have a soft spot for Amy Adams and Judi Dench. I don't rate Scarlett Johansson that highly but I haven't seen Under the skin yet.

Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange are brilliant as well. I like Robin Wright also and Rooney Mara as given some great performances.

Carey Mulligan could become one of the greats as well. Elisabeth Moss shows great range in Mad Men but I'd like to see her be as good in something else. I've heard a lot of great things about Shailene Woodley but only saw her in White bird in a blizzard (in which she was excellent), so I haven't really seen enough of her.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Paul Giamatti can get back to his best, ill put him up there. always been a fan.

same goes for Gary Oldman
Gary Oldman is pretty amazing really, especially when you hear him talk in person, you realise he has virtually never acted with his own "voice" he has always had to act with a regional or foreign accent as he is totally awwwwite geeza cockney.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Of 'younger' actors, I love Cumberbatch of course and I think Tom Hardy is excellent and there seems to be a lot of work going into his pronunciation and accent for each of his roles. I don't think I've seen a film with him in it where he wasn't excellent.

Cina

Of 'younger' actors, I love Cumberbatch of course and I think Tom Hardy is excellent and there seems to be a lot of work going into his pronunciation and accent for each of his roles. I don't think I've seen a film with him in it where he wasn't excellent.
I found his Welsh accent in Locke absolutely unnecessary and infuriating.
For actresses, once we've got the obvious Merryl Streep out of the way, there's still some excellent picks: Jessica Chastain is great and is going to have a brilliant career, as is Jennifer Lawrence. Cate Blanchett and Charlize Theron when they can be bothered. I have a soft spot for Amy Adams and Judi Dench. I don't rate Scarlett Johansson that highly but I haven't seen Under the skin yet.
The gif is all you need really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm a big fan (and not just because he's so dreamy looking).

One of those rare breed of actors who hardly ever appears in a film that I won't enjoy watching.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I found his Welsh accent in Locke absolutely unnecessary and infuriating.

The gif is all you need really.
Haven't seen Locke so I can't judge and what gif?
I'm a big fan (and not just because he's so dreamy looking).

One of those rare breed of actors who hardly ever appears in a film that I won't enjoy watching.
You're a good man Pogue.

Andy_Cole

Some recent great performances I enjoyed:
Christian Bale in American Pycho
Di Caprio in Wolf of Wall St
Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad
Mathew Mconohaugh in true detective/ Dallas Buyers Club

Actors I just enjoy to watch:
Dwayne Johnson
Mark Wahlberg
Samuel Jackson
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman
Jonah Hill
Seth Rogan
Chris Tucker

Ibi Dreams

I'm a big fan of Edward Norton (he's brilliant in Primal Fear!).

Fassbender is another terrific actor.

Di Caprio and McConaughey are two names I never thought I'd be tossing up in a discussion about best actors.
I don't think Di Caprio picks the right roles really, he still makes good movies but not so much ones where his performance can stand out that much. He has been exceptionally good since he was a kid, his performance in what's eating gilbert grape is amazing and he was robbed of an Oscar.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Tom Hardy is an immense on screen presence. What Christian Bale had before he stopped trying.

Edit: actually Bale's been excellent in The Fighter and American Hustle, his non-performances in the big action films have coloured my recent view of him a bit.

Kazi

Gary Oldman
Leo Di Caprio
Daniel Day Lewis

Honourable mention to Joaquin Phoenix. Also enjoyed Christoph Waltz and Daniel Bruhl's recent work.