Tottenham Hotspur 2021-22

Nick7

Would be peak Spurs to go out of europe conference whatever it's called league at group stage.

Rennes are decent so I'd say it's no guarantee at all they'll win final game and you'd expect Vitesse to win at home.
Rennes are through. Spurs are out it Vitesse win.

van Hooijdonk

Rennes are through. Spurs are out it Vitesse win.
No, they aren't. Spurs have 2 goals advantage over Vitesse in GD. So if both win on final day, GD will decide it. Vitesse need big win to qualify.

Nick7

No, they aren't. Spurs have 2 goals advantage over Vitesse in GD. So if both win on final day, GD will decide it. Vitesse need big win to qualify.
Ah feck away goals is gone isn’t it. I was still counting away goals. Apologies.

432JuanMata

The job Poch did there looking better and better everyday. I rate Conte so high but this is a challenge that will be too big for him

432JuanMata

Since Kane will go in the summer I would like to see how Conte will do with that money and building a team

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Conference league about their level then it seems. Such a massive regression, I recall watching them do over RM in the CL group stages, and it wasn't a lucky win, Spurs were easily the better team.

ti vu

The job Poch did there looking better and better everyday. I rate Conte so high but this is a challenge that will be too big for him
It's not this black and white. In 2019 calendar year, despite still made the top 4 and CL final, the overall performance and result had already. The team quality had heavily declined, which Poch failed to address, even after spending on Sessegnon, NDombele, Lo Celso. It ultimately got him sacked, and he himself added oil into the flame with weird message about leaving if Spurs win CL...

So while the previous years look impressive, there is doubt that Poch would have done better had he stayed. Would he be able to rebuild, and return to the previous height with Tottenham?

ti vu

Since Kane will go in the summer I would like to see how Conte will do with that money and building a team
I'm not sure he would go now. Even if he would, Spurs has now back themselves against the wall. Kane's value would tank if he continues like this for the rest of the season, while clubs with return of fans would be able to demand more money to sell their players, when Levy comes inquiring.

432JuanMata

It's not this black and white. In 2019 calendar year, despite still made the top 4 and CL final, the overall performance and result had already. The team quality had heavily declined, which Poch failed to address, even after spending on Sessegnon, NDombele, Lo Celso. It ultimately got him sacked, and he himself added oil into the flame with weird message about leaving if Spurs win CL...

So while the previous years look impressive, there is doubt that Poch would have done better had he stayed. Would he be able to rebuild, and return to the previous height with Tottenham?
Poch should of walked that summer for me. He either had to ask for a huge budget or leave. That Spurs team had one big push for the CL but the squad ran its course and needed to rebuild but wasn’t given the money.
I agree Poch invested badly but he certainly got performances out of average players

432JuanMata

I'm not sure he would go now. Even if he would, Spurs has now back themselves against the wall. Kane's value would tank if he continues like this for the rest of the season, while clubs with return of fans would be able to demand more money to sell their players, when Levy comes inquiring.
Yeah still will get loads with English tax and teams know his head is gone but he is still elite.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Trying to trace back to where it all went wrong for Spurs.

This was the 2018/19 Premier League table after 26 games:

So 26 games in and it's looking pretty damn good, just about keeping up with record-setting Liverpool and Man City despite not signing a single player in either the previous summer or January transfer window.

Then we lost 2-1 away to Burnley and from that point on the bottom completely fell out:

Despite this run though we did successfully manage to navigate our way through the CL and into the final - which of course we lost and is now often cited as being the beginning of the end for us but really the rot had already set in by that point.

Since then it's just been a steady decline into mediocrity. Jose didn't do a bad job, the results were largely just a continuation of what we'd been seeing from the end of Poch's reign. Same story for Nuno, was probably never the right manager but the results he was getting were pretty much par for this squad, it was only really the Arsenal game in which I'd say he negatively affected our ability to get a result. He wasn't popular with the fans(not a big enough name) so was an easy scapegoat.

Conte is going to need serious backing to turn this around, if he doesn't then we'll just see the same mediocrity we've been seeing for almost three years now. That or he'll just walk.

Last edited:

432JuanMata

Trying to trace back to where it all went wrong for Spurs.

This was the 2018/19 Premier League table after 26 games:

So 26 games in and it's looking pretty damn good, just about keeping up with record-setting Liverpool and Man City despite not signing a single player in either the previous summer or January transfer window.

Then we lost 2-1 away to Burnley and from that point on the bottom completely fell out of us:

Despite this run though we did successfully manage to navigate our way through the CL and into the final - which of course we lost and is now often cited as being the beginning of the end for us but really the rot had already set in by that point.

Since then it's just been a steady decline into mediocrity. Jose didn't do a bad job, the results were largely just a continuation of what we'd been seeing from the end of Poch's reign. Same story for Nuno, was probably never the right manager but the results he was getting were pretty much par for this squad, it was only really the Arsenal game in which I'd say he negatively affected our ability to get a result. He wasn't popular with the fans(not a big enough name) so was an easy scapegoat.

Conte is going to need serious backing to turn this around, if he doesn't then we'll just see the same mediocrity we've been seeing for almost three years now. That or he'll just walk.
Conte will definitely walk he is like that. He is a manager that will get the best out of a team but if you only have a team capable of 8th the best he will get is 6th.

Caesar2290

Poch had the fortune of getting the Spurs jib as the core of their squad was entering it's peak. Similar to AVB at Porto.

If Poch got the Spurs job right now he'd have just as of a torid time as Conte

432JuanMata

Poch had the fortune of getting the Spurs jib as the core of their squad was entering it's peak. Similar to AVB at Porto.

If Poch got the Spurs job right now he'd have just as of a torid time as Conte
Yeah he would obviously have a hard time. But some players have been poor since Poch left and he really deserves credit for Kane development

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That's the third postponed match for them now. Their schedule is going to be crazy when the new dates are announced.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Already three postponed games to fit in somehow and they’re still in the League Cup. That’s a packed fixture list. Nice.

ti vu

If Vitesse can increase the lead against Mura, Tottenham better off forfeit this game and get out of this competition. Rennes is no pushover, and the schedule due to all these postponed games, and another round with EL drop out would kill them. Their overall rotation options are bad, and they don't have depth for their attacking options (Harry Kane even already struggling this season as is)

I hope they go Spursy though, and letting us catching up in the top 4 battle.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If Vitesse can increase the lead against Mura, Tottenham better off forfeit this game and get out of this competition. Rennes is no pushover, and the schedule due to all these postponed games, and another round with EL drop out would kill them. Their overall rotation options are bad, and they don't have depth for their attacking options (Harry Kane even already struggling this season as is)

I hope they go Spursy though, and letting us catching up in the top 4 battle.
Vitesse Arnhem won 3-1 tonight so does that mean Spurs have to win by 3 clear goals v Rennes?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Have they done away with H2H and away goals scored?
Away goals are no more but H2H is still the first tie-breaker. Spurs and Vitesse both beat each other by one goal though so they're equal, therefore it goes to overall goal difference where both are currently +3 but obviously if Spurs win they will go to +4 or higher.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The question is if Spurs will even be able to play the game on the 16th? They'll all still be isolating won't they?

Presumably ok for Liverpool on 19th though.

All those off can't train in that period either.

Doubt much will come from UEFA investigation.

choccy77

Spurs will lose the game 3-0 by default now.

Not a massive deal as they already have 2 Premier league games to make up already

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
The question is if Spurs will even be able to play the game on the 16th? They'll all still be isolating won't they?

Presumably ok for Liverpool on 19th though.

All those off can't train in that period either.

Doubt much will come from UEFA investigation.
Only those who tested positive, we still have enough players to play the game but at the time we couldn't do so safely given how quickly it had spread throughout the squad.

Spurs have tried to reschedule the game but by the sounds of it Rennes aren't interested.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Only those who tested positive, we still have enough players to play the game but at the time we couldn't do so safely given how quickly it had spread throughout the squad.

Spurs have tried to reschedule the game but by the sounds of it Rennes aren't interested.
Rennes were through anyways, why would the care?

cyberman

I wouldnt reschedule either, especially when the rematch happens during their winter break. It’s Spurs unable to play the fixture, not Rennes

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can’t even win the conference league!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The conference league might not be worth a lot of money but isn't it still better than dropping out ?

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea
This’ll affect their UEFA coefficient if they are in Europe next season.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

If Spurs manage to strengthen that backline this summer, they can compete in all comps under Conte.