Toulon Tournament

Vilev

Its a friendly tournament, what are you expecting? Do you actually think there would be qualification rounds for a friendly tournament?
It does not matter. You can use other tournaments as a qualification. As i know Olympic does not have qualification rounds either. The confederation tournaments play that role.
Like @limerickcitykid has said it's a friendly tournament and Portugal, Mexico, Nigeria & Japan are using the tournament as preperation for the Olympics (Guinea have replaced Denmark in the last weeks too).
The question is how strong this tournament is and how participants were chosen. If only (or mostly) nations that will compete at next years Olympics were chosen, that would have been okay, it would have given this tournament some merit, not like Emirates Cup or USA our pre-season games. But when i looked at Rio 2016 roster i can see that only Portugal representing Europe, Japan and Mexico are also olympic teams. But all others are not. Not sure what you wrote about Nigeria, i don;t see them in Toulon or at Olympics.
Just to clarify what i was asking is whether this tournament has any substantial merit and significance, it's not like i propose to change it.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
It does not matter. You can use other tournaments as a qualification. As i know Olympic does not have qualification rounds either. The confederation tournaments play that role.
The question is how strong this tournament is and how participants were chosen. If only (or mostly) nations that will compete at next years Olympics were chosen, that would have been okay, it would have given this tournament some merit, not like Emirates Cup or USA our pre-season games. But when i looked at Rio 2016 roster i can see that only Portugal representing Europe, Japan and Mexico are also olympic teams. But all others are not. Not sure what you wrote about Nigeria, i don;t see them in Toulon or at Olympics.
Just to clarify what i was asking is whether this tournament has any substantial merit and significance, it's not like i propose to change it.
One thing I don't understand with Portugal's team is why the U-21 team is not there?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
So England have finished the group stage with another win....1-0 against Japan.
Baker already with his 3rd goal of the tournament.

Final on Sunday: France vs England

Group A

Group B

Last edited:

Any ideas on the XI? Also, is Wilson too old now?
Southgate has clear favourites based on who he played in the tougher games. I think it'll be something along the lines of;

Pickford, Iorfa, Chambers, Hause, Targett, Chalobah, JWP, Baker, RLC, Redmond, Woodrow
Not a fan of that midfield. Forces RLC to play as the 10, which is getting silly now, and Baker/JWP essentially do/offer the same thing/skillset. A better coach would drop one and have Grealish in there.

Everyone, with the exception of 4, in this is squad is older than Wilson. He makes the age comfortably, and would have been picked, but the squad was named while the playoffs were happening. Woodrow is actually the only striker in the whole squad.

Minkaro

Woodrow being there makes me even sadder that Wilson didn't make it. We could have had a presidential strikeforce :(.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Wilson's not too old but he's not in the squad.

The starting XI has been changing a lot pretty much every game (the games have been 2 days apart) so I've no idea what the XI will be. to be honest.
Southgate has clear favourites based on who he played in the tougher games. I think it'll be something along the lines of;

Not a fan of that midfield. Forces RLC to play as the 10, which is getting silly now, and Baker/JWP essentially do/offer the same thing/skillset. A better coach would drop one and have Grealish in there.

Everyone, with the exception of 4, in this is squad is older than Wilson. He makes the age comfortably, and would have been picked, but the squad was named while the playoffs were happening. Woodrow is actually the only striker in the whole squad.
Woodrow being there makes me even sadder that Wilson didn't make it. We could have had a presidential strikeforce :(.
Wilson, Akpom, Hughes and couple of other players aren't in the squad because they were involved with their clubs in the play-offs.
Ibe also not involved because he has travelled with Liverpool for the Europa League final.
Likely: Pickford - Iorfa, Chambers, Hause, Targett - Ward-Prowse/Baker, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek - Redmond, Woodrow, Grealish

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Iorfa is one of the worst players i ever saw playing professionally.

Impulse

Based on the teams that started the two tougher games (Portugal and Paraguay) the team will likely be Pickford, Iorfa, Chambers, Hause, Targett, Chalobah, Ward-Prowse, Baker, Loftus-Cheek, Redmond, Watmore in a 442 diamond.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is too much difference between the teams.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Why is there practically nobody there? I know it's just a kids friendly tournament but I'd expect a few more in the stands

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Isn't the game at Avignon instead of Toulon and apparenly it's not free unlike when it's at Toulon?
Yes I think it's the Parc des Sports d'Avignon. I don't know about pricing.