Transfer Tweets - 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarstoolProphet

Bit of a silly thing to say.

There are, and have been, quality players available for positions we've desperately needed for a few years now. We've just ignored it or signed players that didn't work out.

The bigger issue for me is that, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter who we sign. There's a underlying issue with our attack that personnel won't solve. The summer got Memphis and Liverpool got Firmino. Let's say we'd swapped signings. I'd bet money Memphis would be successful at Liverpool and we'd have flogged Firmino by now.

This. I'm at the point where I don't care if we sign Messi or Neymar, the outcome would probably be the same - dour football without any fluidity.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I like Pogba and want him to stay but judging by other's posters views on SMS he's basically the same player as Pogba. Would it really be that bad for a transfer to see Pogba go and SMS come in?

Especially if we get £150-200m for Pogba from the cash cows and only have to pay £80m or SMS.

SMS, Sandro and Meunier from the Pogba money would be excellent value.
One is more experienced and currently the better player (the one playing for United)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
PSG cant afford Pogba if they want to comply with FFP

AP88

Supports
Man City
Liverpool, Spurs and City licking their lips. Barca should go for him though, we too. Instead of going for Alderweireld, he would be the better deal by far a few years down the line
De Ligt is a decent player who’s abnormally physically mature for his age - I suspect he’ll level out at pretty average

cyberman

If the Pogba story is true then we're better off rid.
You can't leave Utd two times in 6 years and have it be the managers fault each time.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
I like Pogba and want him to stay but judging by other's posters views on SMS he's basically the same player as Pogba. Would it really be that bad for a transfer to see Pogba go and SMS come in?

Especially if we get £150-200m for Pogba from the cash cows and only have to pay £80m or SMS.

SMS, Sandro and Meunier from the Pogba money would be excellent value.

I’d imagine pogba is slightly more marketable too

Which is important to united

Plus he’s probably better
More experienced etc

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How so? Mourinho already stated several times he wants another midfielder in this summer.
Because Pogba and Savic are similar players. Both occupy identical positions on the pitch.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If the Pogba story is true then we're better off rid.
You can't leave Utd two times in 6 years and have it be the managers fault each time.
The story of PSG being interested in him?

izec

De Ligt is a decent player who’s abnormally physically mature for his age - I suspect he’ll level out at pretty average
I think he will only get better with time. I expect him to reach Alderweireld and Vertonghen level of consistent performances in the future with ease. He may be physically developed at young age, but he has a good football brain too. I see him as the whole package and being a top 10 defender in the future.

El-Manos

Because Pogba and Savic are similar players. Both occupy identical positions on the pitch.
Mourinho might not see it that way though? I also read somewhere we’ve been in talks with him since October, not sure how accurate that is but that would dismiss the Pogba out, Savic in rumors as pogba’s alleged unhappiness only started after the new year. Selling Pogba would be a ridiculous decision though from both parties.

Jojo <3 Mou

I didn't think so either. The strong links to Savic are leading me to believe otherwise.
Can't they play together?

Also, couldn't it be just our way to guarantee that we don't fall apart if Pogba gets injured. I know that it would be a lot of money for a backup. So if we get him..ideally they should be able to work together.

Fingers crossed that we have all of this figured out. We have too many players already who don't fit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Mourinho might not see it that way though? I also read somewhere we’ve been in talks with him since October, not sure how accurate that is though but that would dismiss the Pogba out, Savic in rumors as pogba’s alleged unhappiness only started after the new year.
I'm just guessing as to why infra red believes Pogba may be on the way out -- SMS coming in.

cyberman

The story of PSG being interested in him?
Yep, also being shopped around in general.
Has Pogba even denied these stories yet? I'm a huge fan of his but if he doesn't fancy it then it's time to move on.

Infra-red

Can't they play together?

Also, couldn't it be just our way to guarantee that we don't fall apart if Pogba gets injured. I know that it would be a lot of money for a backup. So if we get him..ideally they should be able to work together.

Fingers crossed that we have all of this figured out. We have too many players already who don't fit.
They are both #8/#10 hybrids playing on the left side of a midfield three. They have similar strengths and weaknesses (defensive workrate, positional discipline). We may well sign two midfielders, but a Pogba clone doesn't make a great deal of sense, unless of course Pogba himself is leaving.

Andersons Dietician

SMS is a version of Pogba but less skilled and has high work rate in attack and defence
Huh when did that happen? From what I’ve seen he has the same laboured style of Pogba. It’s not like he charges about at all going from attack to defence. Actually tends to saunter back similar to Pogba.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep, also being shopped around in general.
Has Pogba even denied these stories yet? I'm a huge fan of his but if he doesn't fancy it then it's time to move on.
Why should he? He has already mentioned in one of his interview that if papers were true then he would have sigend for dozens of clubs. Most players are linked and there are lot of rumours, none of them comes out and deny the rumours.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I didn't think so either. The strong links to Savic are leading me to believe otherwise.
Good to see this transfer paranoia also extends to United not just "Oh they signed Fekir, they must sell Salah". Correct me, if I am wrong, but United only have Pogba, Matic, Herrera and a young player in McTominay for the central/defensive midfield area. Carrick is retiring. Fellaini will leave. Blind is allegedly leaving. Obviously a club with strong financial resources will look to strengthen a crucial area of the pitch with at least one big signing to off-set three squad players leaving. It´s more likely United will sign another midfielder. A play for Khedira would not surprise me at all. He has played with Pogba for a year and has always been a favourite of Mourinho. While he´s not an every week player at age 30, he still seems to be a big game player judging by the most recent performances. I can totally see Mourinho making a play for him to be the Super-Fellaini. :lol:Maybe it will work out better than Schweinsteiger. :nervous:

cyberman

Why should he? He has already mentioned in one of his interview that if papers were true then he would have sigend for dozens of clubs. Most players are linked and there are lot of rumours, none of them comes out and deny the rumours.
After the manager of our biggest title rivals revealed he was offered the chance to sign him, I would have expected a categorical denial to be honest. Pep isn't a gossip reporter.
His interview about being at Utd at the moment was a bit flakey as well

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
After the manager of our biggest title rivals revealed he was offered the chance to sign him, I would have expected a categorical denial to be honest. Pep isn't a gossip reporter.
His interview about being at Utd at the moment was a bit flakey as well
That's how any player says, not that he will stay at a club forever.

He denied the story by posting on his instagram, In the last interview, he said how media just make up stories. Like I said, media will always make up stories, Pogba didn't even know Dailymail is a paper, he asked Who as if DM is a person, so him not knowing all the rumors is very believable. There are maybe 1000s of papers, which one to deny?

Infra-red

Good to see this transfer paranoia also extends to United not just "Oh they signed Fekir, they must sell Salah". Correct me, if I am wrong, but United only have Pogba, Matic, Herrera and a young player in McTominay for the central/defensive midfield area. Carrick is retiring. Fellaini will leave. Blind is allegedly leaving. Obviously a club with strong financial resources will look to strengthen a crucial area of the pitch with at least one big signing to off-set three squad players leaving. It´s more likely United will sign another midfielder. A play for Khedira would not surprise me at all. He has played with Pogba for a year and has always been a favourite of Mourinho. While he´s not an every week player at age 30, he still seems to be a big game player judging by the most recent performances. I can totally see Mourinho making a play for him to be the Super-Fellaini. :lol:Maybe it will work out better than Schweinsteiger. :nervous:
If Pogba stays, I'd still assume United would be in the market for at least one, or perhaps even two, midfielders. Targeting Jorginho, Weigl, or Fred would not lead me to believe Pogba might be off - they are very different types of midfielders. Savic, however, is so similar and would command such a massive fee, that it's difficult to imagine both he and Pogba playing together at United next year.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

This is all very hypothetical. Real Madrid looking to sign Mbappe from under the nose of PSG. PSG to replace him with Pogba. If this has any credibility, why wouldn't we try to sign Mbappe ourselves, even with Pogba going the other way?

If there is any superstar player I'd like us to sign it would be Mbappe. And he's quite versatile. Could certainly play as a right forward as well as up front.

Rob67

Re Allison. Not seen much of him but thought he looked dodgy against Liverpool.

United_We_Stand

Pep Guardiola revives Manchester City’s bid to sign Riyad Mahrez. He is one of several wingers under consideration.
Guardiola is aiming to sign as many as four players including a holding midfielder, a wide player and centre back this summer.

Last edited:

TrebleFan99

So 70m Euros for Fekir.
Two new fullbacks worth 80-90m euros(combined).
New CM around 50m.

You expect us to spend 200m euros. Good luck on that.
That’s a fair number. It will be offset with sales and possibly one or two big ones.

But as an outlay I think we’ll see €200m gross spend this summer. And sadly it is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.