Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think we would have let him go if the Italian teams not took the piss with the transfer fee.

We can’t simply offload unwanted players for peanuts as this will become the trend...we needed to be tougher in negotiations for player sales and if we end up not getting any returns and so be it. At least those clubs will rethink their strategy next time when they want to buy our players again
We said what we want I believe and it was not that much different. Also we are now quite happily letting quite a few for absolutely zilch. That is not good business.

cyberman

Pogba wont be here long either way in my opinion. He is going to want to win the big trophies and we cant do it.
Says who? He left 2 CL finalists in 4 years, constant league winners in Juve for 6th placed, EL entrants United.
There's a lot of speaking for players mindsets on here as of its fact despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary

DomesticTadpole

:lol:

He could've joined Real when he left Juve if he really wanted too
He was coming back to United with Jose in charge and probably expected to win a lot more. Now he is at United with an unknown quantity. Maybe Pogba is not willing to take the risk even if United are.

Can fans confidently say that,if Bale were to be put-up for sale,United wont show their interest ?
Ole can say whatever he likes because I still feel that Ed couldn't help himself.

el3mel

All honestly anyone who still thinks Pogba is planning to stay here long term is burying his head in the sand. He's going to stay max one year more.

NJM78

Does Pogba have the discipline sit back though? He sulked when he was playing 1 of 2 CDMs in Jose's team.
With a better CB, DM I think we would do fine with two advanced midfielders. Obviously against the best teams we may need to reign it in a bit. Also who is our Pogba replacement should he be injured, suspended rested etc. Mata (nowadays) and Lingard are very ordinary players in my opinion and it is certainly not Fred or McT position.

I think two CMs should be signed and one right sided attacker with a CB and RB also. Big ask to get five in but I believe we need that many, if anything get four and give Dalot a real run at RB.

cyberman

All honestly anyone who still thinks Pogba is planning to stay here long term is burying his head in the sand. He's going to stay max one year more.
He runs this club. He isn't going anywhere.
Fans have been doom mongering players exits from us for years now. In 2019 and we still need a shakeup.

passing-wind

Lukaku is an embarrassment he would never make the squads of Barca or Madrid. He's criticised heavily here with Rashford as he's competition. Benzema, Suarez are miles ahead of him even when declining.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He was good at the beginning of last season when we were winning nearly every game 4-0

Annoying to have Jones still here and Bailly potentially being sold.
Bailly had a decent first season but has been absolutely appalling ever since. He’s rash, has no positional awareness, can’t head the ball to save his life, and always has a mistake in him. Has the odd motm performance in him, but is generally calamitous. Jones, despite his flaws, has always been a better player.

DomesticTadpole

Bailly had a decent first season but has been absolutely appalling ever since. He’s rash, has no positional awareness, can’t head the ball to save his life, and always has a mistake in him. Has the odd motm performance in him, but is generally calamitous. Jones, despite his flaws, has always been a better player.
Maybe we could sell him and Lukaku to Real as some sort of sabotage.

Funny because we couldn't even give Jones away for free. We won't do any better here with Jones here instead, I'm tired of our CB situation.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Can fans confidently say that,if Bale were to be put-up for sale,United wont show their interest ?
Ole can say whatever he likes because I still feel that Ed couldn't help himself.
I'm 100% positive. I'll be glad when the summer is over as maybe finally the caf will stop going on about Bale and Woodward in the same sentence.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm 100% positive. I'll be glad when the summer is over as maybe finally the caf will stop going on about Bale and Woodward in the same sentence.
This

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Funny because we couldn't even give Jones away for free. We won't do any better here with Jones here instead, I'm tired of our CB situation.
Jones shouldn’t be starting but he’s a better squad option than Bailly. Every team needs squad options. Don’t know where this notion of not being able to give him away for free comes from. Seems a bit hyperbolic.

If we sign one top quality center half to partner Lindelof, we are fine. Smalling and Jones are able deputies.

Trizy

With a better CB, DM I think we would do fine with two advanced midfielders. Obviously against the best teams we may need to reign it in a bit. Also who is our Pogba replacement should he be injured, suspended rested etc. Mata (nowadays) and Lingard are very ordinary players in my opinion and it is certainly not Fred or McT position.

I think two CMs should be signed and one right sided attacker with a CB and RB also. Big ask to get five in but I believe we need that many, if anything get four and give Dalot a real run at RB.
Good points. City do the 2 advanced midfielders in Silva & KDB/B.Silva yet KDB drops slightly in bigger games.

I agree with your signings too. If we signed 2 quality CMs and a RW we'd instantly be 100% better in attack. Sancho and Bruno Fernandez offer completely different goals threats and creativity, especially against teams who sit deep. Exciting times ahead.

Judas

Open to offers
I long for the days where we don't have both Matic and Herrera playing against bottom of the table sides. We're so pathetically passive with our selections, probably due to the squad, but it's frustrating to watch over and over.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think that you might be Ed Woodward, you have infiltrated the caf. Firstly I was one of many excited when Sanchez came, don't think many could have seen how disappointing he'd be. I disagree with you about the contract with Sanchez, yes there was no transfer fee but he had only a few months left on his contract and we swapped a player for him. He was definitely not in his prime when he came here, he was being benched by Arsenal and not performing to the standard he was a while before. We thought a new start was what was needed and he could work under Jose, let's not rewrite history, he was in bad form the end of previous season. He definitely was going to be on big wages, nobody would argue that. What you should argue is that how much more than our top earners he would be on, the potential 70 grand a week bonus for starting games that the BBC reported the other day. That's scandalous if true, doesn't take a genius to figure out that's not going to sit well with some. Especially with many players with contract renewals coming up. That's just poor long term planning, Ed Woodward has to take blame. Jose didn't give a feck if we were paying him a million a week, he was never here for the long term. The contract to me wasn't properly thought out. It was in one part stopping city from getting stronger, secondly trying to make a statement marquee signing without thinking of long term consequence. That deal was poorly planned and it felt reactionary, it's not like we offered 10 grand more than city did.

That's the point isn't it, our transfer policy has been erratic. From buying Fellaini in a Summer for more than we had to, from buying Paul Pogba on a record fee as an investment. Managers definitely had a say in our transfer plans but Ed Woodward is not getting a pass, responsibility has to be taken. He's played a huge part in the mess that we are currently in.

Darmian could have be sold last summer, Italian clubs were put off the price. Yeah you can't fleeced but what's the point keeping someone who isn't going to play. Somebody who wants to move on and isn't close to second choice. I'm not going in to with the chuckle brothers at the back. If you think keeping Smalling and Jones on long term contract was a wise move then you must have been in hibernation since Fergie left, we aren't getting back to the top with these two starting regular.

Where is the long term planning, accountability and most importantly responsibility? Ed Woodward was appointed by the Glazers to help the club on and off the pitch. He's got many commercial deals off the pitch but unless the club start performing on it then that's not sustainable forever. Blame can't be pinned on one individual but it must be shared. Your delusional if you think this summer will run smoothly, we only have other Summers to compare it to. We need a DOF who is planning for the next five to ten years, that's with a route from the academy to first team, recruitment of youth/experience and preparing for exits. It's not about letting better players leave because of poor contract negotiations, keeping players in obvious decline and relying on one window to fix it all. Sick of Glazer sympathisers in here. You can construct your posts as elegant as you want, doesn't change that there is flawed points throughout it.
Sanchez was in his prime in thatbhe had just turned 29 years of age. That is a prime age for an athlete. 3 months of patchy form wasn’t used against him. He scored 24 league goals the season before I think. I’m not defending his form, he’s obviously been rubbish, and I suspect that the reaction will be to try and offload him. That’s life. But i do think the decisions were right at the time. In the 3 months or so that preceded Sanchez’ signing, the criticism at the time was why we were not signing Sanchez and letting City sign him. At that point, that was the topic of his incompetence. Because we as fans have become so bitter with our plight, us signing a top player in Sanchez can only possibly be summarised as ‘it was in one part stopping city from getting stronger, secondly trying to make a statement marquee signing without thinking of long term consequence.’ People keep saying ‘I’m not saying Ed doesn’t know business, he just doesn’t know football’. These are business decisions.

In summary, I don’t think fans should be microanalalysing a club’s executive. The main points, I would think, would only be whether they refuse to spend money or if they refuse to sack underperforming managers or hire poor managers. For me, looking at Woodward’s tenure, I don’t think those accusations are valid. I guess last summer gave detractors something to cling to finally, but in all the years, he has spent money and backed his managers. We have had summers where we have added Di Maria, Falcao, Blind, Herrera and Shaw, we have had summers where we have added Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Bailly. These are players that were unanimously accepted as top players, and many of which were our caf favourites. Of course, they haven’t worked out, but I think the hypocrisy is it seems fans want him to take the decisions on personnel and make himself a football manager. After all, we are criticising the players signed when these were the managers choices. Do we want Ed making football decisions?

Those clinging to Darmian are clutching at straws. We could/should have sold him, but ultimately, nobody cares if we’re being honest and his value is negligible. As for Smalling and Jones, you are again requesting Ed Woodward to play football manager and decide that these players aren’t that good and put them up for sale. He doesn’t make those decisions. No executive should be criticised for extending contracts of players their manager wants to keep.

The obsession with a DoF who will make our troubles all go away is something I get a bit. Manchester United have always operated without one. Our managers make decisions on style of play and personnel. The reason DoF’s are important outside of United is because typically, there is high turnover of manager. That requires different styles and requirements for different players. It is no easier to sign or sell with a DoF. If Ole was guaranteed to stay for a decade then there is absolutely no need for one.

Regarding this summer, I didn’t say I was confident overall. I am confident with Ed Woodward’s ability to do his portion of the job. We may not get who we want. But his role is to try to get the players Ole identifies, and commit the funds to get the deals done. I expect him to do that, so why would I have an issue with Woodward? You speak of previous summers, where I also mentioned summers where we spent a lot of money on top players. I imagine that if we did that again this summer, and they were the players the manager wants, that he could be seen to have ‘done his job’. It will then be over to Ole. If he fails, he will eventually be sacked, and we will look for another proven or talented manager to begin his own project. I agree that we could use a DoF because if that happens, we want to avoid having to change several players.

Having read reports on Rodri he sounds like a very good promising defensive midfielder.
Great signing for City if they do indeed act and payout his release clause.

Devil may care

If Ole is going to try to follow the Fergie blueprint of bringing in homegrown talent then Rice sounds like the logical signing.
He should be his own man and not try to be a Fergie clone, Rice isn't good enough on the ball, no better than the likes of Henderson, Milner and Dier, there are levels and Rodri is a tier above, we should be looking for the best not at players passports.

Sanche7

Aah Rodri would have been perfect for us
Watch us go for Rice for 60 million when City go for Rodri. But I guess with Pep in charge, City have a better chance with Spaniards

Status
Not open for further replies.