Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

Willian was first choice target for Barcelona. Forgetting about the price, the quality is undoubtable.
Barca can get things wrong though. They spent a lot of money on players that failed to build up to the expectation/valuation. Andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer, Deulofeu... Dembele (given the price). Going for Willian was actually trying to fix the problem of repeated bad choices for the RW for them. So I wouldn't say that Barca going for him is a sign of "undoubted" quality.

I think his quality assessment can be more based on our observation of his career in the EPL rather than using Barca's assessment as testament. He's been good but he's hardly been excellent or world class. I don't think that's an exaggerated statement to make.

EDIT:
Also worth noting, Barca eventually walked away from the deal. Maybe the reason he was first choice was because they thought they could get him for a cheap/reasonable price. Because ultimately the first/second choice stuff is based not just on quality but also theoretical availability.

Otherwise everyone's list would have "Mbappe" as first choice for the RW this summer, whether they are Manchester United or Scunthorpe United

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

Truly baffling why people care about prices when its not there own money.
There are plenty of reasons why fans get annoyed about the fees we pay. No other club gets ripped off like us.

Malcom was bought for 41m euros, Mahrez for £60m. We are linked with a player who will cost more than both and is 2 years older than Mahrez, Malcom is only 21. Can you say Willian is that much better than those two?

Had we bought one of them at a much cheaper price there is more funds in our transfer budget to get more players in. If we start paying £65m for Maguire what will happen the next time we go for a player abroad? They will want more and more and more because we keep paying too much.

BlueHaze

Something I will never understand is how Jose is willing to splash big sums on Willian when Leon Bailey is available. Sure Willian has his great moments and he is already adapted to the PL but he is 29, and has max 2-3 years left in him. Getting Bailey could be a risk because we all know the PL is different and it takes a while to adapt, Memphis for example looked like one of the worlds greatest talents yet he didn't make it.

But lets say we would have gotten Bailey and he would develop into a world class player then the reward is completely worth it and if not then we still wouldn't make a big loss. If we get someone like Willian or Perisic then in a couple of years they will need to be replaced either way so why not get someone younger right now instead of just prolonging the process. Also if we end up with Willian and Chelsea replace him with Bailey then theres a chance we lost out on a future world star and it would be Hazard all over again, in other words a big regret.

SSSSnake

It's like a nightmare, Mourinho gets what he wants, aging wide player grafters flanking a giant striker, and in this case paying twice what a mediocre winger is worth, you could get Pulisic for that money, a player with a lot more talent and actual room to become world class, something Willain never was and never will be, this is just throwing money away that we can never recoup and it wont change a thing in regards to City still easily winning the PL.
Don't cry about it bud. It's not our money. Willian is at least proven and should settle far quicker. Pulisic is a good prospect but we honestly don't know how he's settle in the Prem and would be a huge gamble. Look at Kagawa, Miki et al for instance. Yes we're over paying but at least we'll have a consistent player on that RW.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I preferred Mahrez but at this point it would be stupid to reject Willian.
We had plenty of time to find a suitable right winger. And yet we decide to go for the player who will cost a bundle and will give max 3 seasons.

I honestly fail to understand our transfer strategy. Every April/May we read about a long list of potential targets. Then we find out that some of these targets are science-fiction scenrios, others aren't gettable at a reasonable prices, others aren't that good at all.

Devil may care

Don't cry about it bud. It's not our money. Willian is at least proven and should settle far quicker. Pulisic is a good prospect but we honestly don't know how he's settle in the Prem and would be a huge gamble. Look at Kagawa, Miki et al for instance. Yes we're over paying but at least we'll have a consistent player on that RW.
He's not even very consistent in terms of the attacking side of his game, he'll track back all game every game and that is why Jose wants him, a defensive winger who has a decent attacking game here and there, €75M for a mediocre 30 year old who isn't going to get any better and has zero resale value is moronic and desperate because the manager can't manage younger talents that need a bit of actual coaching.

Suv666

Willian and Maguire. I can live with, decent window except LB all the gaps in our squad filled. And I think Mourinho might give Shaw a chance. Did anyone read Shaw's latest interview? Lad is fired up. We should really give Shaw another chance

Rolaholic

75m for a near 30 year old winger who disappears from games 60% of the time...good old Mourinho.

At least with Barcelona it was a bit more understandable given the allegations of shady business dealings between their club president Bartomeu and Willians rep,Kia Joorabchain who also represents the likes of Coutinho, Arthur, Malcom and Paulinho who have all joined them in recent seasons.

With United it seems like yet another panic buy with diminishing returns that will look even worse in 2 years.

All the while we'll likely see Chelsea replace him with a young and exciting talent like Leon Bailey at a fraction of the cost...fun stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Willian and Maguire. I can live with, decent window except LB all the gaps in our squad filled. And I think Mourinho might give Shaw a chance. Did anyone read Shaw's latest interview? Lad is fired up. We should really give Shaw another chance
Not a decent window, full back situation is a full on crisis and we have signed an unproven kid in that position.

Deechii

There is something with Roma and Leon Bailey from Di Marzio.

Justin Kluivert, Leon Bailey, almost Malcolm.

paulscholes18

For me they are two completely different deals. 70m-ish for Maguire is ludicrous IMV. Willian is a proven top class player and there's hardly any players of similar quality available for a position we are desperate to recruit for. Buying directly from a rival. With Maguire he's a good English centre half playing for a mid-table club and no one else on the planet would spend 70m for him. There are also more options around for less money.

Edit: Add to that that Maguire means we won't sign a top class defender for a while, whereas buying Willian now allows for Chong's development and a lane into the first team. The two deals are so different logically.
Willian isn’t a top class winger, he’s a quite decent work horse winger, top class wingers will regularly produce a total of 20+ league G+A a season something that Willian has never done in his 5 years at Chelsea

manunited1919

Did anyone actually read the article or do you lot just read the tweet and commence whining over a Tuttosport claim ?
They put out BS all the time, so I won’t gift them a click. But I won’t get too excited until someone more reputable confirms it, like the Mirror.
No white text?

Infra-red

I'm sure Mourinho would love Willian, but I doubt the board will sanction that kind of spend on a player his age when they baulked at a similar deal last summer for Perisic.

SSSSnake

Not a decent window, full back situation is a full on crisis and we have signed an unproven kid in that position.
Crisis? You do realise we purchased another right back and Young has been world class since last season right?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
75m for a near 30 year old winger who disappears from games 60% of the time...good old Mourinho.

At least with Barcelona it was a bit more understandable given the allegations of shady business dealings between their club president Bartomeu and Willians rep,Kia Joorabchain who also represents the likes of Coutinho, Arthur, Malcom and Paulinho who have all joined them in recent seasons.

With United it seems like yet another panic buy with diminishing returns that will look even worse in 2 years.

All the while we'll likely see Chelsea replace him with a young and exciting talent like Leon Bailey at a fraction of the cost...fun stuff.
I can't really see the club doing business with Kia after the Tevez shit. I didn't realize he was representing Willian.

Kaivalya

My thoughts exactly. He's 30 before we play Leicester. Is this man with 2, maybe 3 years left of playing at this level the person to solve our creative crisis in the final third and win us the league? Isn't that what we want when we pay 75m? Or is absolutely having a right winger no matter his quality such a big deal that we ignore all other aspects.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
"Its not my money." You do realize it sets a precedent, right?
Yea, it sets a precedence of how the club continue to spend money that is ‘not your money’, so in that sense, makes no difference.

Fracture90

It's like a nightmare, Mourinho gets what he wants, aging wide player grafters flanking a giant striker, and in this case paying twice what a mediocre winger is worth, you could get Pulisic for that money, a player with a lot more talent and actual room to become world class, something Willain never was and never will be, this is just throwing money away that we can never recoup and it wont change a thing in regards to City still easily winning the PL.
Exactly my thinking as well. Spending for the sake of spending is what got us in this situation.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I blame Mourinho. I fail to understand why he is hell bent in going all in for a 30 year old inconsistent winger. Isn't there any other player he could work with? Poor scouting if you ask me.

Kaivalya

Ashley Young has been world class? You're surely having a laugh mate. What does world class even mean? Top 80 full backs on the planet?
Crisis? You do realise we purchased another right back and Young has been world class since last season right?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Willian isn’t a top class winger, he’s a quite decent work horse winger, top class wingers will regularly produce a total of 20+ league G+A a season something that Willian has never done in his 5 years at Chelsea
I don't know about that as the defining criterion for a top class winger. Hazard averages around 20 G+A in the league over the last 5 seasons. He's rumoured to cost near to 200m (obviously a better player). Willian is obviously not near that, but he's played a lot less and unlike Hazard, he has defensive duties. He was more attacking for Shaktar.

If he were to join for 60-70m I'm pretty sure those most skeptical would be on board soon enough.

My thoughts exactly. He's 30 before we play Leicester. Is this man with 2, maybe 3 years left of playing at this level the person to solve our creative crisis in the final third and win us the league? Isn't that what we want when we pay 75m? Or is absolutely having a right winger no matter his quality such a big deal that we ignore all other aspects.
The bar keeps being raised eh.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe we should be listening to the Chelsea fans on Willian, they want rid of him and are upset Chelsea turned down £50-55m from Barcelona. He has his moments but too inconsistent for my liking.
That's probably true of the plastics, but any smart Chelsea fan would see the reasons why he hasn't been as effective as he could be. Willian has constantly been played on the right side of a front three. If, and only if he is played on the LW then his strengths will become more apparent.

I would be more worried about Jose playing him on the left side of a front three tbh as he is capable of being very dangerous if given the chance to cut in on his stronger foot. We can't play him in that position for obvious reasons, i.e. Hazard. If Jose played him out wide on the RW it wouldn't be a good idea. He's still a quality player to have and I would rather not let him go to a rival. If Martial came the other way, it woud be much better as Martial can finally play as the no.9 here.

Dante

Average bang
Fred, Dalot, Willian, Maguire + Sandro would be a perfect window.

If we get a reinvigorated Shaw instead of Sandro, all the better.

BlueHaze

Completely agree with you.

Gomes

I would have thought that you had learned from last year's meltdowns but apparently not. Both of the players that you didn't want, and even promised to quit following United for, were if not top 3 then top 5 performing players last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.