Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

With Lukaku gone we have no real height in the forward areas and nobody who can head the ball.

We'll predominantly be playing on the break this season, but will still come up against a few sides who'll sit deep in a low block, against whom our pace in behind will be useless. For those occasions, a big man to cross the ball to might just grab us a few vital points.

Even saintly Pep Guardiola isn't adversed to sticking a CB up front in the latter stages of games where his side is chasing a goal against a team defending in a low block.

Classical Mechanic

With Lukaku gone we have no real height in the forward areas and nobody who can head the ball.

We'll predominantly be playing on the break this season, but will still come up against a few sides who'll sit deep in a low block, against whom our pace in behind will be useless. For those occasions, a big man to cross the ball to might just grab us a few vital points.

Even saintly Pep Guardiola isn't adversed to sticking a CB up front in the latter stages of games where his side is chasing a goal against a team defending in a low block.
McT is 6ft 5

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Are you suggesting Lukaku could head the ball? :wenger:

Devil may care

Hoofing balls up is exactly why we should get him. He'd be our plan B. Plan A is fast and fluid attacking, but when that doesn't work you need a plan B and that's what he'd be.
You don't see good clubs resorting to that shit, we shouldn't be either, we never did that under Fergie, we never carried lump players in the squad as Fergie didn't believe in them, same a he didn't believe in pure DM's that offer nothing on the ball. On top of that he's crap, if we'd wanted that type of player then Ole should have been given the money needed to sign Manduzkic whois much better all round.

izec

You don't see good clubs resorting to that shit, we shouldn't be either, we never did that under Fergie, we never carried lump players in the squad as Fergie didn't believe in them, same a he didn't believe in pure DM's that offer nothing on the ball. On top of that he's crap, if we'd wanted that type of player then Ole should have been given the money needed to sign Manduzkic whois much better all round.
I agree. Getting rid of Lukaku and Fellaini was a good step. Going back to Llorente is a step backwards. Learn to play without hoofing to a big lump up front.

Infra-red

I agree. Getting rid of Lukaku and Fellaini was a good step. Going back to Llorente is a step backwards. Learn to play without hoofing to a big lump up front.
Ideally, yes. But we simply don't have the quality or creativity in the side to break deep defences down. This has been clearly apparent for three+ seasons now and absolutely nothing has been done to rectify it. While that remains the case, having a plan B as a tactical option, is perhaps prudent (not that Llorente would be my choice - as noted above, Mandzukic would have made much more sense).

ArjenIsM3

Our midfield and attack clearly aren't good enough to break down tough defences yet. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic. Llorente would be a temporary solution. Can't get Mandzukic now or anybody else in now.

settembrini

Getting rid of Fellaini and the 'we need a big man for plan B' tactic was one of the very first things Solskjaer did as United manager and I can't see us going back to that with him in charge. Good thing too as it was awful to watch and almost never worked.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Having a big man up top as Plan B would stink nastily of the Van Gaal era. And it's not as if we're capable of putting in decent crosses, so is fatally flawed anyway.

Devil may care

Exactly, we know if we are realistic that this season is a tough ask to get top 4, it should be about instilling the playing ethos Ole wants, and we aren't going to do that by resorting to Mourinho methods.

Our midfield and attack clearly aren't good enough to break down tough defences yet. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic. Llorente would be a temporary solution. Can't get Mandzukic now or anybody else in now.
For starers he's crap, but the bottom line is we made our bed with a poor transfer window and now we need to lie in it. I'm already against Matic and Mata taking up bench space over Garner and Gomes as both are finished, and it's going to be Greenwood or James that lose a spot in the matchday 18 if we add another snail to the squad. Top 4 struggles were created by our board, I'd rather focus on trying to see what these kids have got than bringing in desperation lumps who are way past their best that will take the spots of young, dynamic players.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG can't buy those players unless they sell neymar first actually

That summer they signed Neymar and Mbappé and we all went crazy about FFP? Well, it finally caught up with them
PSG can buy these players, we've spent nothing yet. I reckon if you replace Bale who's worth nothing by €50m+ you have a chance to seal a deal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The difference this year, is that we have Martial who has sharp ball control and trickiness in and around the box.
We couldn't play like that with Lukaku, as it'd ricochet off him, and he has very little capability to steal past people in tight areas.

peridigm

Lukaku couldn't head the ball if he was in a fecking bucket truck.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
PSG can buy these players, we've spent nothing yet. I reckon if you replace Bale who's worth nothing by €50m+ you have a chance to seal a deal.
Gueye and Diallo, plus Ander's big wages

If you were in a position to just add new expensive players without selling some of yours you wouldn't be waiting to move neymar before signing dybala

Nick7

Bollocks. Liverpool do it when they need to and they’re European Champions.

You mean other than the team that just made the CL final by resorting to that. And with Llorente, too!
This too.

Devil may care

You mean other than the team that just made the CL final by resorting to that. And with Llorente, too!
That's Spurs, I want us to aim higher and they did it so rarely it's a flimsy example, tell me do you want Greenwood on the bench or this clod?.

Bollocks. Liverpool do it when they need to and they’re European Champions.
this is a weak argument, pushing your big CB up the pitch at the end of a game to add an aerial threat isn't the same as using up bench space on a lumbering, aging has-been.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's Spurs, I want us to aim higher and they did it so rarely it's a flimsy example, tell me do you want Greenwood on the bench or this clod?.
What makes you think he'd replace Greenwood on the bench?

Devil may care

What makes you think he'd replace Greenwood on the bench?
Because Mata wont lose his spot, so it's going to be Greenwood the striker or James the winger, neither of whom I'd want removed from the matchday squad for this junk option.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
It’s not about big man up top it’s about numbers and getting someone in on a free whilst offloading the Sanchez issue (which is more than just cost it’s precedent and stigma).

Llorente allows us to do that without impacting on the potential of greenwood.

Personally I think welbeck or Sturridge would have been better bets to achieve a similar goal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because Mata wont lose his spot, so it's going to be Greenwood the striker or James the winger, neither of whom I'd want removed from the matchday squad for this junk option.
You realize signing him doesn't mean he has to be ahead of greenwood or james in the pecking order?

Devil may care

You realize signing him doesn't mean he has to be ahead of greenwood or james in the pecking order?
I realize that he isn't coming in for the honour of playing for United, he'll be getting paid more than Greenwood and James combined which will give him preference, and if the whole point is having this plan B then what's the point of bringing him if he's not on the bench to be plan B? it's the same as right now Mata and Matic are on the bench over Garner and Gomes despite the fact both of them are finished. We already fecked this season up with the crappy transfer window, so I'd rather use it to focus on seeing what this crop of youngsters has which means lots of game time, not sitting behind three washed up snails every weekend.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I realize that he isn't coming in for the honour of playing for United, he'll be getting paid more than Greenwood and James combined which will give him preference, and if the whole point is having this plan B then what's the point of bringing him if he's not on the bench to be plan B?
Very much doubt that would be the case. Think the whole point is to make up the numbers in case Alexis leaves, not for this nebulous plan B. Him being an actually decent and useful player, who also offers something different from any other forward on your team is why you'd go for him instead of some random free agent

This is a player who wasn't out of place and in fact ended up being decisive in a CL quarter final match against city and a SF against ajax. He's decent cover. But i don't see United being interested in him to take minutes and chances away from greenwood or james, not unless those two prove they're ready

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan

A new meeting for Alexis Sanchez is scheduled for tomorrow between Inter and Manchester United. The sides are looking for a definitive agreement on the portion of wages that United will pay for Sanchez.
The total wages owed is €15m net of taxes. Inter is proposing €3m, so Manchester United should pay the remaining €12m. The sides continue to work on a deal, but there is optimism.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

A new meeting for Alexis Sanchez is scheduled for tomorrow between Inter and Manchester United. The sides are looking for a definitive agreement on the portion of wages that United will pay for Sanchez.
The total wages owed is €15m net of taxes. Inter is proposing €3m, so Manchester United should pay the remaining €12m. The sides continue to work on a deal, but there is optimism.
:lol::lol::lol:

That's not a negotiating tactic, it's a pisstake

Irrational.

Fecking cheapskate club. They probably won't even take up the option to buy, and return him to us after a season a year older.

I hope they get brought back down to earth from their high horse like they did with Flukaku and Perisic.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Why are we even meeting them over such a piss take of a proposal?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Gueye and Diallo, plus Ander's big wages

If you were in a position to just add new expensive players without selling some of yours you wouldn't be waiting to move neymar before signing dybala
And we sold even more in young players which represents a huge benefit in accounting terms. Dybala isn't a priority at the moment with Cavani, Mbappé, Neymar, ADM, Sarabia and Draxler available.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
:lol:

Did anyone really expect any different from Inter, or any other Italian club for that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.