Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepers

Given that all teams at some point will be caught out by pace, we have been as fallible as anyone else but as GB stated, it’s hardly been our Achilles Heel. Poor positioning has accounted for a lot of goals( Fulham, Spurs(h), Liverpool,) among others, poor defending down to strength has accounted for a few(Villarreal). Lack of cover where the midfield hasn’t tracked back. Ok you can point to the Spurs game(s) but Spurs also did that to City when Spurs were doing well.
So on balance I wouldn’t say Maguires lack of pace is an issue. Having a partner who is switched on and compliments him is what we need. If you look at Italy’s CB partnership they aren’t the quickest but they complimented each other, and have the midfield and attackers covering attacks. The biggest problem IMO is having a game strategy where we defend as a team and attack as one. You may put the inconsistency down to lack of the right personnel but it’s something that needs to be addressed
I don’t hold Maguire solely responsible, but I had an issue with GB’s sweeping statement.

I blame whoever signed off on signing Maguire because I would be very surprised Ole did since Ole had shown previously that he prefers a high line and with Maguire you will never be able to play a high line. I don’t believe Ole is that stupid.

Same with how I blame whoever signed off on VdB. I don’t believe he is Ole’s signing.

If Ole said yes to both, then he cannot continue as manager, and have a say in transfers. He can become a sporting director or whatever and have a specific role where he only clears out deadwood.

hubbuh

Maguire is NOT slow,

He has a lack of mobility maybe, but his top speed maxes out at 1km under Sterlings last season, hardly slow.
We're not just talking about top speed. Maguire is slow on the turn and slow when it comes to acceleration, two massive issues to do with speed of movement. His lack of agility needs accounting for.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We're not just talking about top speed. Maguire is slow on the turn and slow when it comes to acceleration, two massive issues to do with speed of movement. His lack of agility needs accounting for.
So he's not slow then, as his acceleration is fairly decent over the first five yards.

He just lacks a little mobility which is to be expected of a player of his stature.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
So he's not slow then, as his acceleration is fairly decent over the first five yards.

He just lacks a little mobility which is to be expected of a player of his stature.
Is it? I find it to be lacking.

CG1010

A lot of transfers will not get done until towards the end of the transfer window. Clubs are still living in cloud cuckoo land. Price's being quoted are ridiculous. Turned down £50M for Varane, £45M wanted for Tripper, £85M for Sancho, £80M for Rice.
No wonder United do not get business done early.
Honestly I don't think these prices are unrealistic at all. We are trying to buy key players in teams like Dortmund, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. Even the likes of West Ham etc. are rich enough and Rice is important player to them. We have only three options here:
A. if we want to catch up to likes of City quickly, then we just shut up and pay;
B. we can go into long drawn multiyear battles with these clubs, eventually get them for cheaper as the clubs see the prospect of keeping a demoralised player who can leave for free at some point (basically what we have done with Sancho), or
C. we buy emerging talents in key positions not established players at big clubs - which is what we used to do under Fergie.

There is literally no point of continuing to crib about what other teams are asking for. And I see the club's strategy to continue to be based on the assumption that teams will hand over their key players to us at a price we want. Which hasn't worked for Maguire/Bruno/AWB/Sancho etc., so not sure why it will work for others.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t hold Maguire solely responsible, but I had an issue with GB’s sweeping statement.

I blame whoever signed off on signing Maguire because I would be very surprised Ole did since Ole had shown previously that he prefers a high line and with Maguire you will never be able to play a high line. I don’t believe Ole is that stupid.

Same with how I blame whoever signed off on VdB. I don’t believe he is Ole’s signing.

If Ole said yes to both, then he cannot continue as manager, and have a say in transfers. He can become a sporting director or whatever and have a specific role where he only clears out deadwood.
And I was replying to more sweeping statements

I actually think maguire is a good CB in the way that Steve Bruce was a good CB. Partnered with the right person it could be a very good defence. Lindelof isn’t that person and they obviously aren’t gonna upgrade HM having spent 80m on him

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is that what football has come to? The prerequisite for having an opinion on players from other clubs is to scour international club forums? Sounds like a fecking bore. I watched him against Chelsea in the semi-final and he was absolutely crap, he couldn't keep up with them whatsoever.
Ah, so you came to that conclusion based on one game, half fit coming off a 2 months injury lay off

Ok :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If Ramos stayed they could have flogged varane and not had to sign a CB. Could have used the money elsewhere. Seems weird a few weeks back they wanted him to stay, then when he accepted they didn’t want him to stay. Something must have changed.
Didn’t he lobby the players to not except pay cuts in their contracts because the money was going on Mbappe? That’s the kind of behaviour which might piss your boss off

Champ

Is it? I find it to be lacking.
Have you raced him recently then? :lol:

I think the whole Maguire is slow theory is a bit of a myth.

Jonny Evans had an interview a year or so ago with the Belfast Times whereby he was saying that Maguire had explosive pace....

Champ

Every summer.

Every summer, Chelsea will sell some made up guy they never had and never existed before for a large sum.
Hardly a made up guy!

Has an full international cap for England, played amazingly well for Milan season just gone, has been around the Championship on loan and is still only 23, i would say that Milan have themselves an absolute bargain there for a shade over £20m.

Pavl3n

Just out of curiosity - how long did it take to make that deal official?
From the first reports towards the end of the season, that Milan want to exercise their buy option, until it's official ?

The easiest transfer probably took 2 months.
That gives me hopes in the pursuit of Sancho.

Lastwolf

Every summer.

Every summer, Chelsea will sell some made up guy they never had and never existed before for a large sum.
The fact that this is the same AC milan "doesn't have the money" to sign a player like Dalot and wants to loan in for a year with the option to buy casue 15m is too much, there has to be some money laundering going on.

Pavl3n

It's not just goals conceded through lack of pace; it's also
1. knock on effect on tactics. Inability to play any kind of high line at all.
2. United's defence don't look confident playing against quick forwards. They look like they're in permanent panic mode.
3. Yes, there are clear an obvious goals conceded due to lack of pace. Some of them are mundane the the opposition player getting to the ball first to shoot.

Plus the shear pointlessness of it: recruiting a 35 year old player who's never played in the PL. Madness.
Are you really trying to prove a point using that video?! :lol:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with

Jonny Evans had an interview a year or so ago with the Belfast Times whereby he was saying that Maguire had explosive pace....
I have eyes. He has good top pace but explosive and acceleration? Not so much.

He's a bit like Pally except his top pace was top notch. Faster than Kanchelskis Fergie said.

justsomebloke

Ole signed off on both - the system is very clear and is a matter of public knowledge, repeatedly confirmed by Ole himself as well as by the club.

However, I think you're wrong that you can't play a high line with Maguire (Pep G seems to agree, since City actively pursued him, and I for one think that was a good signing.) Think it's too early to draw conclusions on DvdB too.

hubbuh

Ah, so you came to that conclusion based on one game, half fit coming off a 2 months injury lay off

Ok :lol:
Yes. I'm not a paid scout or a football nut who watches multiple leagues at once. I watch my team, a bit of the PL and the CL (and increasingly the EL...). The fact he's 36 and missed almost 30 games since the turn of the year is not an argument in his favour ffs (and got absolutely spun in the biggest game of the season. Also his last ever for Madrid? Ouch). Left out of the Spain team as well, obviously. And it doesn't look like they are particularly brimming with defensive talent.

How would you account for it?
By getting in a quicker, more agile defender next to him, ala Varane/Kounde etc.

hubbuh

Maguire's got explosive pace? Wtf am I reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.