Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

In our front three our options are:

ST - Ronaldo Martial
LW - Rashford Elanga
RW - Sancho Pellistri

Doesn't really make sense why we'd want a striker with those current options instead ofLW or RW

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He'll still make mistakes defensively (very difficult not to as a full back in an ETH side due to how much is demanded of you going forward) but I think he suits the attacking transition really well. He definitely did have some good performances under Rangnick also, even if there were plenty of poor performances to go with them. I certainly thought he performed better than AWB last season. I'm happy with him as 1st choice tbh.
I hope one of them figures it out man. AWB took massive fall last season so he needs to figure it out. Dalot looked so exciting a few years ago but progress seriously hampered by injury. Hopefully he adapts to this style quick

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This thread should only be getting bumped with fresh hot off the press transfer tweets
FEED MY NEED FOR CONSTANT UPDATES!! Gimme Gimme!

(However I will moan if I get constant updates and they are not new updates & I’ll moan that it’s just the same as yesterday re-hashed, I want NEW information, but I also will complain if I don’t get any updates whatsoever, so yeahhh…)

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
The most impressive part is that for one we have got good value for money. Martinez, Malacia and Eriksen for roughly £60 or so million - and probably only £350.000 in wages. By our standards, that is amazing
Amen. Not just that, Martinez and Malacia also have good upsell value in the future and are young as well.
The more you weigh it up the more Pellistri and Amad don't make sense. For that money we could have had a starter, instead we have potentials who frankly aren't much different to the potential of Rashford or Martial in the sense none of them feel like guaranteed positive outcomes.
Tbh I’ve also been weighing the alternatives of buying Pellistri+Amad or having invested those funds in midfield that potentially might’ve given us a higher finish last season.

But under present circumstances, I don’t see why we can’t test out those 2 under ETH in the new system. It would allow us to use our funds for other positions. I also think this is the best time to test them because this is the start of a new phase and if they’ll survive here then we need to find out from now. If they have a good team around them, they’ll likely perform well themselves and learn fast as well.
I mean we’ve had players like Dan James get a chance who was absolutely shite so why not give these 2 talented youngsters a chance too. You don’t spend the type of fees we paid for a player like Diallo only to wait a couple years before you see him play.

Dante

Average bang
In our front three our options are:

ST - Ronaldo Martial
LW - Rashford Elanga
RW - Sancho Pellistri

Doesn't really make sense why we'd want a striker with those current options instead ofLW or RW
I think Eriksen could be our second choice at RW.

EtH seems to like a creative free-role passer on the right, and a pacey penalty-box threat on the left.

It could be:

ST - Ronaldo Martial
LW - Rashford Elanga
RW - Sancho Eriksen
AM - Bruno VdB
DLP - FdJ Garner
DM - Martinez Fred
LB - Shaw Malacia
RB - ? Dalot
CB - Varane Maguire Lindelof Bailly/McTominay
GK - DDG Heaton

I think RB is the more pressing issue. We need a playmaker there, imo, the same way Shaw starts off all our moves on the left.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I personally really like what I've seen from Dalot in this new system. I think he and Sancho look really really good on that right side. I kinda get that we don't have any reliable backup though. Would be nice if Laird could take his chance in the preseason. AWB and Williams are useless. Good to know we're looking at a striker. Martial has done really well so far tbf to him, but it's hard to trust him after how frequently he's gone through poor form after a brief good run of form.
You really think he'll look anything like that against teams who can fight back and are gunning for 3pts?

Dazzmondo

You really think he'll look anything like that against teams who can fight back and are gunning for 3pts?
I'm not sure, we'll have to see. I think he suits what ETH wants from his full backs, I said that as soon as we got ETH in. If he succeeds under any system, it should be this one. I think he's very underrated in attack tbh. His crossing isn't the best but he's good at progressing the ball and getting into good positions on the overlap. The defensive side of his game is very bad, and ultimately it will probably come down to how well the rest of the team can cover for him when he's up the pitch. Worth pointing out that the same is true on the other side, as Shaw also got caught high up the pitch for Melbourne's goal. These are always the areas that will be most at risk when sides counter-attack against us because of how many players ETH wants in the attacking phase. No matter who is playing full back this season, I expect they will receive a lot of criticism for any goals conceded throughout the season, even though they will simply be following the manager's orders.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think Eriksen could be our second choice at RW.

EtH seems to like a creative free-role passer on the right, and a pacey penalty-box threat on the left.

It could be:

ST - Ronaldo Martial
LW - Rashford Elanga
RW - Sancho Eriksen
AM - Bruno VdB
DLP - FdJ Garner
DM - Martinez Fred
LB - Shaw Malacia
RB - ? Dalot
CB - Varane Maguire Lindelof Bailly/McTominay
GK - DDG Heaton

I think RB is the more pressing issue. We need a playmaker there, imo, the same way Shaw starts off all our moves on the left.
Martinez is a CB

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I feel like this guy's probably not reliable but would be amazing obviously
If he is available and willing then we should be all over it. Forget him being too costly, make it happen

I doubt he is available anyway

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If he is available and willing then we should be all over it. Forget him being too costly, make it happen

I doubt he is available anyway
With Mbappe controlling the club and being one of his best buddies, good luck getting him out of Paris.

Kearnkoff69

With how well Sancho and Hakimi linked up at Dortmund, solving our RB problem by bringing him in (noting that this is a real long shot) would be *chef kiss*

Tavern in the town

He's the best right-back in the world, there is little to no chance of him joining this summer I would say.
He wouldn’t even be top 3 right backs in the Premier League if he joined. TAA, Reece James and Cancelo are much better. Hakimi is better than them all as a wing back though.

SAFMUTD

I'd probably only take Trent ahead of him. Hakimi's sensational
He has the same problem that TAA, he's average at defending.

Their attack is nothing short of world-class that's why they're so hyped, but on the defensive side they struggle.

Alemar

That would be a structural change in our gameplay, I would have thought. If we can capture Hakimi, could be well worth it to pursue, and then we can sell Bissaka for some 25m to partially offset the cost. Hakimi would likely cost 60-65m pounds if PSG are at all willing to dispose

sparx99

CM

Hakimi would be genuinely brilliant if we could get him. Maybe next summer... but that's the type of player you'd be happy to wait a year for.

NotQuiteManc

Trade current Portugal poster boy to the future Portugal poster boy? (Ronaldo - Joao Felix)

Dazzmondo

He has the same problem that TAA, he's average at defending.

Their attack is nothing short of world-class that's why they're so hyped, but on the defensive side they struggle.
They're not average at defending. They play far more advanced than most full backs which is why they can occasionally be caught out of position (far less than they should be really). It's impossible for any defender to be high up the pitch and suddenly teleport back to stop a counter attack. No top attacking full back will be capable of doing that I'm afraid. If you want a more traditional full back who stays back, AWB is more similar to that, but these full backs are being discarded by top clubs and rightfully so because they are limited (and in AWB's case not even positionally very good). TAA, James and Cancelo all offer far more to their teams than any of the best defensive full backs will. For ETH's style of football, where he wants as many players to help the attack as possible, Hakimi would be perfect. Ultimately, it probably won't matter as it seems highly unlikely PSG would consider selling him.

SAFMUTD

They're not average at defending. They play far more advanced than most full backs which is why they can occasionally be caught out of position (far less than they should be really). It's impossible for any defender to be high up the pitch and suddenly teleport back to stop a counter attack. No top attacking full back will be capable of doing that I'm afraid. If you want a more traditional full back who stays back, AWB is more similar to that, but these full backs are being discarded by top clubs and rightfully so because they are limited (and in AWB's case not even positionally very good). TAA, James and Cancelo all offer far more to their teams than any of the best defensive full backs will. For ETH's style of football, where he wants as many players to help the attack as possible, Hakimi would be perfect. Ultimately, it probably won't matter as it seems highly unlikely PSG would consider selling him.

Cancelo and Reece James are way better defensively than Hakimi and TAA. Of course playing such a high line affects them and they're caught out of position more often than normal fullbacks. I do think their offensive attributes make it up for their defense deficiencies and I would love having Hakimi here. But what makes them special is their attacking skills, their defending as I said is average. Doesn't mean they're shit, but when discussing TAA or Hakimi nobody would praise them for their defensive part of the game.

NotQuiteManc

He's not really put up the numbers you'd expect for a player that moved for the amount he did.
Is that so? I don't watch much of other teams except when United vs Ath last season. I am a fan of his movement, technical and being really press-resistant. If that's the case, probably it would help United in the negotiation as logically it would lessen his value compared to his previous transfer fee would suggests.

Dazzmondo

Cancelo and Reece James are way better defensively than Hakimi and TAA. Of course playing such a high line affects them and they're caught out of position more often than normal fullbacks. I do think their offensive attributes make it up for their defense deficiencies and I would love having Hakimi here. But what makes them special is their attacking skills, their defending as I said is average. Doesn't mean they're shit, but when discussing TAA or Hakimi nobody would praise them for their defensive part of the game.
James plays in a back 5 which makes his job far easier for a start. If he is caught out of position, he has an extra cb who can easily move across to the position he has vacated. I suspect if he was playing in Liverpool's back 4, where not just Trent but also Robertson gets forward constantly, he would be caught out a lot more. Hakimi is similarly part of a back 4 with another very attacking full back on the left in Nuno Mendes and overall I would say a pretty weak defence in general at PSG which again will make his job more difficult. City's defence just functions brilliantly as a whole, Cancelo never seems to get caught out, though it is worth noting that Walker tends to stay deeper, which might explain why Cancelo rarely gets caught out despite playing in a back 4. TAA and Hakimi's best assets are definitely the incredible abilities they have in attack, but their defensive abilities are massively underrated imo. The role they play is very difficult and requires incredible levels of fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.