Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_F

That is a fecking horrific deal for us if true. As in, there is not a single upside to this for United.
  • They get him for a season risk free. We subsidise his wage to play there.
  • If he's good, they can sign him on the cheap next year.
  • If he's shite, they can send him back with his value shot and a year less on his contract.
Literally every other scenario is better for us:
  • Sell him now.
  • Loan him with an obligation to buy.
  • Loan him with no obligation or option.
  • Keep him.
They’re going straight back down again and he will join someone else. Although the next club that goes for him will use that £20 million clause as a negotiating tool.

Because they don't throw cash around to youngsters like confetti, isn't Brandon William's on £75k a week too?
Henderson is 25 so hardly a youngster. The problem is not tying up contracts soon enough. We should have had Henderson on a new contract before the loan to Sheffield United, it’s so obvious. We are almost always negotiating from a position of weakness.

And no. Brandon Williams is not on a flat £75k weekly wage. It’ll be massively incentivised.

cnwo

Agree with most on Henderson, crap deal. Only saving grace I can think of is if he has a blinder and gets into form, he could always reject a forest contract (even if they pay the option fee) and chose to stay at united

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They’re going straight back down again and he will join someone else. Although the next club that goes for him will use that £20 million clause as a negotiating tool.

Henderson is 25 so hardly a youngster. The problem is not tying up contracts soon enough. We should have had Henderson on a new contract before the loan to Sheffield United, it’s so obvious. We are almost always negotiating from a position of weakness.

And no. Brandon Williams is not on a flat £75k weekly wage. It’ll be massively incentivised.
He's young for a goalie. They can play at a top level longer than most outfield players.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
So we have a bunch of players who are not good enough, but lets get some more players who are not good enough because they are free (besides which, free comes at a high cost)?

I disagree with the highlighted part, the club is looking to offload some players because they've been given enough chances. Everyone else deserves a second chance imo, even if it's Harry whom I don't like but still think he deserves another chance. Then there are players who are not good enough and we're clearly looking for an upgrade, such as Scott and the RB situation. These guys will either be sold or remain as bench option. We have enough bench options, we don't need any more.

Kessie is the only player from that list who could potentially have made sense, but I don't know how good he really is.
How exactly do you know they're not good enough? What I'm saying is, United don't even seem to TRY and explore these kinds of deals, Kessie and Kamara would definitely have been better than what we currently have in midfield, I say that with upmost certainty because our current midfield have either been a part of the problem for the past few years or have left on free transfers themselves.

A club Uniteds size should have been talking to these players when they had less than a year left on their deals, but we're so far behind as a club that we don't even know our playing style from one manager to the next, so talking to the players is going to be left to the last minute where, guess what? You're left paying 70-80m for a single player who let's face it, doesn't really want to come to a club in dissaray without champions league football with at least 4 better teams than them in the league (all of which are improving).

I'm just venting at the fact the Glazers have run us like a circus act and without SAF, it's come crashing down - we may well improve the structure in the future, but looking at it from the outside, having to wait for a manager to be appointed before starting our recruitment process isn't a good sign, it just highlights the fact there is no structure in place for continuity, so if Ten Hag were to fail in the near future, we're in the same boat, just another 5 years down the rabbit hole.

Then there's poster on here preaching calmness when all the evidence has shown us that we're a laughing stock, it's up to the club to instill confidence back in the fanbase, not the other way around.

As I said above though, Ten Hag was my preferred choice, and I believe he has the capabilities of being a success, I just don't (justifiably) have any confidence in the people that run this club to allow him to fulfil his potential as a manager.

saivet

Agree with most on Henderson, crap deal. Only saving grace I can think of is if he has a blinder and gets into form, he could always reject a forest contract (even if they pay the option fee) and chose to stay at united
I don't think we need to worry about that as he wants to be a first team regular and won't want to return as a back up

Frank Grimes

That is a fecking horrific deal for us if true. As in, there is not a single upside to this for United.
  • If he's shite, they can send him back with his value shot and a year less on his contract.
  • Sell him now.
  • Keep him.
It's odd to me we are letting him go when he suits Ten Hag's style of play so much better than De Gea.

Giggsyking

I thought Arnold and Murtough are a change from the previous idiotic regime. It looks like nothing has changed. FFS sell him now for 15m better than a loan deal with an imaginary price of 20m.

Red00012

• Sell him now.
  • Keep him.
And if they get relegated they can’t afford to buy him

cyberman

I thought Arnold and Murtough are a change from the previous idiotic regime. It looks like nothing has changed. FFS sell him now for 15m better than a loan deal with an imaginary price of 20m.
We will let him go for free, mark my words and the justification for not being able to do the sale will be he’s a youth product so cost us nothing

Last edited:

Nick7

bit hard to do so if no one wants to buy him.

Matt851

Murtough and Arnold were part of the previous regime and that's the only reason they have their jobs

SteveCoppellFan

Way too much anger going on in this thread.

Lets just wait and see what happens, for all we know United might be close to many deals, and the end of the day we just do not know what is going on behind the scenes.

If the transfer window closes and we have had a really poor transfer window then fair enough, fire away at the muppets responsible.

Getting this angry over something you have no control over is just beyond futile.

Varun1

How exactly do you know they're not good enough? What I'm saying is, United don't even seem to TRY and explore these kinds of deals, Kessie and Kamara would definitely have been better than what we currently have in midfield, I say that with upmost certainty because our current midfield have either been a part of the problem for the past few years or have left on free transfers themselves.

A club Uniteds size should have been talking to these players when they had less than a year left on their deals, but we're so far behind as a club that we don't even know our playing style from one manager to the next, so talking to the players is going to be left to the last minute where, guess what? You're left paying 70-80m for a single player who let's face it, doesn't really want to come to a club in dissaray without champions league football with at least 4 better teams than them in the league (all of which are improving).

I'm just venting at the fact the Glazers have run us like a circus act and without SAF, it's come crashing down - we may well improve the structure in the future, but looking at it from the outside, having to wait for a manager to be appointed before starting our recruitment process isn't a good sign, it just highlights the fact there is no structure in place for continuity, so if Ten Hag were to fail in the near future, we're in the same boat, just another 5 years down the rabbit hole.

Then there's poster on here preaching calmness when all the evidence has shown us that we're a laughing stock, it's up to the club to instill confidence back in the fanbase, not the other way around.

As I said above though, Ten Hag was my preferred choice, and I believe he has the capabilities of being a success, I just don't (justifiably) have any confidence in the people that run this club to allow him to fulfil his potential as a manager.
And how do you know they're good enough? You're making all these assumption and go as far as saying that United don't seem to try, but what if they have tried? What if we weren't willing to match the wages that Villa were offering? I firmly believe that the fact no other big team were in for him tells a story, same goes for Dybala and Dembele. Maybe it's the wages or maybe the attitude. Or do you think other big teams have tried, as opposed to us?

We're not allowed to speak to players unless that have less than 6 months left, so you expect us to break the rules? Again, how do you know we've not been talking to them?

You've venting based on a load of assumption without really knowing anything. Assumptions that suit your current agenda.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
  • Sell him now.
  • Keep him.
Basically came to post exactly this!

jameyzane

Lets just wait and see what happens, for all we know United might be close to many deals, and the end of the day we just do not know what is going on behind the scenes.

If the transfer window closes and we have had a really poor transfer window then fair enough, fire away at the muppets responsible.

Getting this angry over something you have no control over is just beyond futile.
Close to many deals and Manchester united in one sentence. You are having a laugh.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think most blame goes to the current folk incharge if this deal goes through as reported. Henderson is a pretty good keeper if the best they can do is 20mn they are to blame not woodward or his crony.
Well, you might have to factor in his wages - he’s on around £100k per week, iirc, and I’m sure Forest, being newly promoted, would struggle to pay that kind of wage. So £20m probably would probably factor in a subsidisation of his wages, as we’re doing on the loan.

If it were an Arsenal or say, Newcastle who were interested, we could have pushed the fee up, I’m sure. Fact is, we’re pretty crap at shifting on players for 2 reasons:
- the team hasn’t been performing, meaning most individual players haven’t been performing so their values are at the lower end;
- we’ve prematurely rewarded players on fat contracts without them deserving of it, when compared to others

That’s the reality.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Either Arnold or Murtough are to be blamed for this deal. Inexperienced individuals throughout the entire leadership structure.
Murtough inexperienced. Feck me. This shite again. Is this going to he thrown round each time something happens we don’t like. Also Arnold leaves all footballing matters to Murtough. Just an FYI.

Fact of the matter is. No one is paying £40M for a 2nd choice keeper who has barely played. No one.

Don Juan Matus

Agreed, yet the very same people who are whinging will be talking about "getting their cocks out" in a couple of weeks, childish feckers.

RomfordRed75

The only possible explanation for this is that we are hoping he has a great season for Forest and we sell him for £30m+ next season. His value has dropped off a cliff as he has hardly played this season and I doubt if he stays he'll play much next season either.

Posh Red

The only possible explanation for this is that we are hoping he has a great season for Forest and we sell him for £30m+ next season. His value has dropped off a cliff as he has hardly played this season and I doubt if he stays he'll play much next season either.
How would that work when they can buy him for £20 million?

captaincantona

If I work for a company...and give that company time and effort and dedication and support...and there are issues...and year after year, for almost a decade...the company tells me that they are aware of the issues and are gonna fix them...but they never do...surely I’m entitled to be wary and to somewhat pre-empt possible issues when it seems like history is again repeating?

I don’t get the problem with passionate fans calling out issues with the club. If you are a happy go lucky sort fair play to you. You can “wait and see” what happens before commenting but does that not limit your ability to comment later if things don’t work out - like they haven’t worked out in recent memory? Like if we are getting embarrassed week in week out next season - because perhaps...your happy go lucky nature is exactly what the Glazers and the money men rely on. Blind support...while pockets are lined.

I prefer to just say what I feel. Not an ounce of anger...I am just very frustrated

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Crikey, if fans are this impatient now I dread to this how long this will last with Hag this season.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
And how do you know they're good enough? You're making all these assumption and go as far as saying that United don't seem to try, but what if they have tried? What if we weren't willing to match the wages that Villa were offering? I firmly believe that the fact no other big team were in for him tells a story, same goes for Dybala and Dembele. Maybe it's the wages or maybe the attitude. Or do you think other big teams have tried, as opposed to us?

We're not allowed to speak to players unless that have less than 6 months left, so you expect us to break the rules? Again, how do you know we've not been talking to them?

You've venting based on a load of assumption without really knowing anything. Assumptions that suit your current agenda.
This is a forum where opinions are discussed, I shall now start every post with....in my opinion.

So in my opinion, the club has been run exactly how I described for the last ten years, shambolically to say the least - no I don't know if they've even talked to players (and btw, every club talks to players and their representatives, you're just being naive).

But what I do know is that we sign players based on manager wants only, which means we would never have had the chance to speak to Kessie, Rudiger, Kamara, Christensen etc who, would all be a huge upgrade on what we currently have, you may call them average, but they're miles better than our current options - and that's simply because we don't have a structure that allows us to plan further than the next sacking, that isn't an opinion, that's a fact, and you can argue all you want about that, but the last ten years have proven it time and time again.

That may change, but all the evidence so far is that we only just started talking to De Jong once Ten Hag became manager, again, that's short sighted and shouldn't be how a global juggernaut operates, THAT is why I'm raising concerns about us not targeting free agents/cheap buys.

You or I have no idea if Bissouma, Kessie or any other player I mentioned are good enough, but United should and I have zero faith in this club to have the competency to carry out in depth checks on these players to know either, you're also assuming that these players are not good enough for United.

The only thing I know for certain is that the players in our current squad DEFINITELY are not good enough for United as seen by the worst season in decades and that United are again, slow to correct that.

We're so far behind City and Liverpool I'm not even concerned about catching them atm, Chelsea are way a head of us, so that leaves our competition Arsenal and Spurs, Arsenal have Arteta and weak players too, so we're close to them (but still behind) but the fact Spurs have signed 3 players in 6 months (with another 2 looking likely soon) just means we're falling further behind.

We're 6th best I'm the league and last season we were as close to finishing 14th in the league as we were to finish 4th - and you expect fans to have faith? Based on what?

As I've mentioned in this thread already, I expect Ten Hag to be a success, but only if the structure above him allows that, and right now, I have no faith in that, I'm sure many fans feels that way too, and in my opinion, it should be on the board to change that feeling rather than fans having blind faith in an organisation that has been an abject failure for a decade.

It's been a fun debate @Varun1 and I apologise if I've come across as an arse in my replies! But I think our opinions on this matter are so far apart that we'll never find common ground, so this is an agree to disagree situation.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Oh look, a story about what we are not doing! That makes a nice change :rolleyes:

Dan_F

He's young for a goalie. They can play at a top level longer than most outfield players.
But that doesn’t have anything to do with us offering him a new contract. The point was he’s not a young player we chucked money at like Williams.

SmallCaine

The issue is if he was on a wage that you’d expect for a back up keeper, we’d probably have sanctioned a sale of between £25-30m.

That’s the fault of Woody and Judge.

I think we just back him as our number 1 for a season and move DdG on, personally.
If he were a jones type player sure, but henderson easily starts for most top half teams, the fact that we can't get likes of newcastle to sign him is a failure on our part.

SmallCaine

Well, you might have to factor in his wages - he’s on around £100k per week, iirc, and I’m sure Forest, being newly promoted, would struggle to pay that kind of wage. So £20m probably would probably factor in a subsidisation of his wages, as we’re doing on the loan.

If it were an Arsenal or say, Newcastle who were interested, we could have pushed the fee up, I’m sure. Fact is, we’re pretty crap at shifting on players for 2 reasons:
- the team hasn’t been performing, meaning most individual players haven’t been performing so their values are at the lower end;
- we’ve prematurely rewarded players on fat contracts without them deserving of it, when compared to others

That’s the reality.
Who cares what forest can afford. Letting him go for 20mn is absolutely criminal. Last i checked newcastle still havent signed a top keeper.

Gordon Godot

This is a forum where opinions are discussed, I shall now start every post with....in my opinion.

So in my opinion, the club has been run exactly how I described for the last ten years, shambolically to say the least - no I don't know if they've even talked to players (and btw, every club talks to players and their representatives, you're just being naive).

But what I do know is that we sign players based on manager wants only, which means we would never have had the chance to speak to Kessie, Rudiger, Kamara, Christensen etc who, would all be a huge upgrade on what we currently have, you may call them average, but they're miles better than our current options - and that's simply because we don't have a structure that allows us to plan further than the next sacking, that isn't an opinion, that's a fact, and you can argue all you want about that, but the last ten years have proven it time and time again.

That may change, but all the evidence so far is that we only just started talking to De Jong once Ten Hag became manager, again, that's short sighted and shouldn't be how a global juggernaut operates, THAT is why I'm raising concerns about us not targeting free agents/cheap buys.

You or I have no idea if Bissouma, Kessie or any other player I mentioned are good enough, but United should and I have zero faith in this club to have the competency to carry out in depth checks on these players to know either, you're also assuming that these players are not good enough for United.

The only thing I know for certain is that the players in our current squad DEFINITELY are not good enough for United as seen by the worst season in decades and that United are again, slow to correct that.

We're so far behind City and Liverpool I'm not even concerned about catching them atm, Chelsea are way a head of us, so that leaves our competition Arsenal and Spurs, Arsenal have Arteta and weak players too, so we're close to them (but still behind) but the fact Spurs have signed 3 players in 6 months (with another 2 looking likely soon) just means we're falling further behind.

We're 6th best I'm the league and last season we were as close to finishing 14th in the league as we were to finish 4th - and you expect fans to have faith? Based on what?

As I've mentioned in this thread already, I expect Ten Hag to be a success, but only if the structure above him allows that, and right now, I have no faith in that, I'm sure many fans feels that way too, and in my opinion, it should be on the board to change that feeling rather than fans having blind faith in an organisation that has been an abject failure for a decade.

It's been a fun debate @Varun1 and I apologise if I've come across as an arse in my replies! But I think our opinions on this matter are so far apart that we'll never find common ground, so this is an agree to disagree situation.
Think this post is spot on. Hopefully ETH can entice more from some of our players than we have seen, but squad is a mess and some players hugely limited in key areas, as well as players bought by different managers with differet systems. This season will be tough, I dont think we make top 4.

joedirt87

Who cares what forest can afford. Letting him go for 20mn is absolutely criminal. Last i checked newcastle still havent signed a top keeper.
must not be a big market for him if the best we can do is a loan with a potential fee to a team that could easily be relegated. Don't you think the club would take a 25 or 30 million pound deal to another club if they were being offered. or do you think this club has become so pathetic that they are afraid to sell to another PL team that could be rising.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Think this post is spot on. Hopefully ETH can entice more from some of our players than we have seen, but squad is a mess and some players hugely limited in key areas, as well as players bought by different managers with differet systems. This season will be tough, I dont think we make top 4.
It will be a miracle if we male top 4, as I said, there's two spots available (City and Pool are just too strong) so we have to compete against Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Leicester City and probably Newcastle too (the latter 3 will be closer to our level than we are to the top three.

I think the highest we finish is 6th, it all depends on how the latter three I mentioned improve - Spurs have already improved on last season and they finished 13 points ahead of us, while we've lost 4 players (not a great loss, but our squad is still technically weaker).

I only hope that we're entertaining to watch, as the last 10-12 years have been a struggle to watch, it'll get worse before it gets better, specially with the current track record of the players on our books.

Status
Not open for further replies.