Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatDane

So they didn't ask FDJ first if he wanted to join United in the first place? I have a bad feeling about this, I am getting Di Maria vibes. I feel like FDJ and Barcelona are taking us for a ride. (Can't post media so removed tweets from quote)
You forgot something about a fat dad, his height and that we should walk away and you've almost hit all the bs arguments.

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolute bollocks.

It costs a fortune just to negotiate these sorts of deals. Then you have the wasted time in the transfer window, the eventual embarrassment and hit to the club’s image when the player rejects after a bid is accepted.

No club is going to negotiate for a player without first knowing that the player is open to moving to them.
Yep

Why would the club fly Arnold out to Barcelona if De Jong was not open to the move.

Arnold confirmed himself, whilst pissed in his local, he only gets involved to sign off deals. This was obvious getting signed off.

Nero

Not really sure why but I dislike this bald c*nt
He's one of these clowns who tries to sound like he's got the inside track on everything, when in reality he gets all his info from his twitter feed.

SteveCoppellFan

Not really sure why but I dislike this bald c*nt
It is because he works on Sky Sports News and these days to do that you must come across as a right twat to the general public.

Zlatans Knee

He's one of these clowns who tries to sound like he's got the inside track on everything, when in reality he gets all his info from his twitter feed.
Fairly certain that is their job. To sound like they know what they are talking about. I think the majority of the population don't refresh their Twitter feeds all day long for updates.

Lee565

Even when the player is pushing to join us we get mugged off, if it was Bayern in our position they would end up getting him dirt cheap.

HookedOnAPhelan

We’d make it a whole lot easier for ourselves if we only focused on signing players that other clubs were desperate to get rid of and that no other clubs want but that’s United these days, always doing it the hard way :rolleyes:

AFC NimbleThumb

Interesting take on the captaincy decision here too.
Are these moves going to help maguire defend well consistently? I’ve been here before with our captain, needs a new CB partner, needs a better full back next to him, now needs midfielders to pass to.

Just defend & do it well Harry, the rest will come.

M4YON

Are these moves going to help maguire defend well consistently? I’ve been here before with our captain, needs a new CB partner, needs a better full back next to him, now needs midfielders to pass to.

I think he does need a new CB partner, a more aggressive one than Varane. Same with Varane though, he also needs a more aggressive partner than Maguire.

The whole defense will benefit from a stronger midfield pairing.

mctrials23

Thats not how football works. You can't give a team talk that says "everyone just worry about yourself" and think that you will get a good team performance from that.

Football at the elite level these days is a team game and any weakness in defence or attack can manifest issues in a completely different part of the pitch. Theres a reason Liverpool can play with fullbacks who can't really defend, they are usually on the front foot most of the game and defend from the front so TAA and Robertson aren't being asked to be positionally sound and the defensive unit isn't under a huge amount of pressure the whole time.

If United can get back to winning ways, suddenly people will think that the defence has magically improved and Maguire has got a lot better. If our midfield and attack protects the defence more they will find their job much easier and simpler.

This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to United under ETH. Hes a coach that priorities the team and system over the individual. Almost all the best teams are the same now. Everyone looks better in a good system. Players who come in find it easier to adapt. Substitutions to the first XI due to injuries find it easier as they have been coached to fit into a tight knit unit rather than a loosely coupled set of individuals.

Memento28

You forgot something about a fat dad, his height and that we should walk away and you've almost hit all the bs arguments.
Ya, I agree I might be overreacting, but is he the only midfielder we can sign? I know ETH wants him and Barcelona are playing games because they won't or can't pay the wages that they owe FDJ, maybe United need to play their own games to push through a move. Also, you can't ignore that United have been used by multiple teams to drum up interest for a player they want to sell and by multiple players to get better contracts during the transfer window.

GreatDane

Ya, I agree I might be overreacting, but is he the only midfielder we can sign? I know ETH wants him and Barcelona are playing games because they won't or can't pay the wages that they owe FDJ, maybe United need to play their own games to push through a move. Also, you can't ignore that United have been used by multiple teams to drum up interest for a player they want to sell and by multiple players to get better contracts during the transfer window.
I agree with many of the things sure. But it seems like Ten Hag sees him as being very important to the way he wants us to play, and if De Jong can be the catalyst for us rising to the top again then I'm all for it.
I'd rather we buy from the top shelf than from a lesser catagory because it's easier.

But yeah, I want this done as much as the next person, it's been dragged out for too long now.

M4YON

I think he does need a new CB partner, a more aggressive one than Varane. Same with Varane though, he also needs a more aggressive partner than Maguire.

The whole defense will benefit from a stronger midfield pairing.
So now we are signing players to unlock Maguire instead of Pogba.
See above. Maguire performs for England consistently i think this is because he has a stable midfield duo in front of him and a more aggressive partner in CB but its not about unlocking him its about strengthing the defense as a whole because it has been dreadful.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
See above. Maguire performs for England consistently i think this is because he has a stable midfield duo in front of him and a more aggressive partner in CB but its not about unlocking him its about strengthing the defense as a whole because it has been dreadful.
Similar arguments were made about how Kante helped Pogba play the way he wants. We have all been there.

M4YON

Similar arguments were made about how Kante helped Pogba play the way he wants. We have all been there.
Whether Varane plays or Maguire plays next to Martinez and in front of De Jong/Eriksen the outcome we want is the same, a stronger team in the middle and in defence. Its not about unlocking anyone.

AFC NimbleThumb

Thats not how football works. You can't give a team talk that says "everyone just worry about yourself" and think that you will get a good team performance from that.

Football at the elite level these days is a team game and any weakness in defence or attack can manifest issues in a completely different part of the pitch. Theres a reason Liverpool can play with fullbacks who can't really defend, they are usually on the front foot most of the game and defend from the front so TAA and Robertson aren't being asked to be positionally sound and the defensive unit isn't under a huge amount of pressure the whole time.

If United can get back to winning ways, suddenly people will think that the defence has magically improved and Maguire has got a lot better. If our midfield and attack protects the defence more they will find their job much easier and simpler.

This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to United under ETH. Hes a coach that priorities the team and system over the individual. Almost all the best teams are the same now. Everyone looks better in a good system. Players who come in find it easier to adapt. Substitutions to the first XI due to injuries find it easier as they have been coached to fit into a tight knit unit rather than a loosely coupled set of individuals.
I didn’t say players work in silos.

He needs to prove he can consistently defend at a top level first & foremost. If he continues to put on poor defensive displays him playing short passes to an FdJ or an Eriksen is something another defender can offer. You also miss the point that Liverpool can play with such attacking fullbacks because their centre backs can. . . defend well when required [mostly].

I agree that a more coherent midfield will in effect help the defence because we’ll have the ball more, it’s part of the reason EtH is going for players who do better in possession than out of it.

Put it like this. If you were joining an employer & all people could say was how much your colleague will improve working with you, then you asked how you’ll benefit working with them & the answer you get is, “well we’re unsure if they can do their main job correctly but you’ll cover some of their other deficiencies so get on with it’ how would that make you feel about said colleague? Every Summer he’s been here we hear the same ‘x player will improve things for Maguire because. . .’ but as you say it’s a team game, so what does he do to free FdJ up? or an Eriksen? or a Tyrell type at fullback? Can they look at him & say I can afford to try something here because he has my back. . . That’s why I’m more concerned with his defending than anything else, because if he continues to defend poorly nothing else will matter.

Superden

With Koulibaly strongly linked to Chelsea, I reckon it will be around mid October when the caf will be having a tantrum as to why we didn't get him for the 35 millions. Having poo pooed the idea until then.

Lee565

I don't think a defender being in his early thirties is necessarily something to avoid signing, most defenders are at their best at around their early thirties and have seen with so many defenders in the modern game going strong into their mid thirties.

Marvin-ator

I like this... Fergie always went 442 (451 away against a big team) I'm the earlier years - a strong sense of how he wanted his team set up. I'm sure in one of his autobiographies he even outlined that he wanted reserves and youth teams to mirror first team tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.