Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm not sure that's the right take on this.

FdJ is countering Barcelona's legal move by sticking to his contract until they give in on the deferred wages. Assuming there's no case to answer about 'criminality', he only needs to call the club's bluff. After that, they can part ways and end the drama.

But if the contract is indeed 'criminal', there's no reason for him to stay anyway because the £17m will vanish into thin air.

This is all on Barca. Nothing to suggest FdJ is doing this in order to stay in Spain. In fact, it looks like both parties have burnt all their bridges. At this point, De Jong can only ever go back to Barcelona as a Bale-esque pariah. Leaving is only sensible alternative left to him.
This is my take too. Barca might have been his dream club but nobody is gonna stick around if they have the piss taken out of them. United must have been given assurances that he was prepared to come even our transfer people would have given up a while back if not.

Banat

So Juventus are willing to let him go despite their own midfield crisis + Pogba's long-term injury.

RedMilo

Barcelona have told Frenkie de Jong they want to annul his existing contract and return to the deal he was on before, alleging the terms given to him by the club’s previous board involved criminality and provide grounds for legal action against those involved, The Athletic can reveal.

The Catalan side have serious financial problems and among the ways they are trying to improve matters is by selling De Jong or reaching an agreement with him over deferred wages he is owed.

There has so far been no sign of a compromise between the 25-year-old Netherlands midfielder and his employers in what is becoming one of the most extraordinary sagas the game has seen.

Manchester United had a bid for De Jong accepted, as reported on July 14, but issues with the player — the outstanding money owed and whether he wants a move to United — remained unresolved.

According to sources in Spain, Barcelona wrote to De Jong on July 15 claiming to have found evidence of criminal actions on behalf of the parties who signed his renewal on October 20, 2020.

It was a two-year extension until 2026 that is reported to have reduced his salary for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, leaving €18million (£15.2m, $18.3m) to be spread across the subsequent four campaigns.

De Jong’s deal was announced alongside three others — Gerard Pique, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Clement Lenglet — and this proved to be one of the final decisions by then president Josep Bartomeu prior to he and the entire board of directors at the time stepping down from their posts.

The letter sent to De Jong last month is thought to inform the Dutchman that Barcelona think they are in a position to initiate criminal proceedings to establish what happened in relation to the signing of his contract and ascertain where responsibility resides for the supposed wrongdoing.

It is believed to then express Barcelona’s wish to rescind the deal and proceed with De Jong’s career at the Camp Nou under the conditions agreed when he arrived from Ajax in January 2019.

The Athletic understands the previous board are confident in the legality of the contract De Jong signed in 2020 and insist the deal was agreed after approval from legal parties and La Liga. In an interview with the Barcelona newspaper Mundo Deportivo last year, former president Bartomeu insisted the previous board’s management of the club was “serious and responsible”.

Sources around the Catalan club suggest there has been further dialogue between Barcelona and De Jong’s camp, in which the present board have identified their predecessors for the alleged criminality and warned that De Jong and his representatives may also be implicated.

That could be perceived to reinforce comments by Evgeniy Levchenko — chairman of the Dutch players’ union — that De Jong might be a victim of extortion, a notion current Barcelona president Joan Laporta denies. Global players’ union FIFPRO is known to be closely monitoring the situation and Barcelona’s attempts to try to make the player accept a vastly reduced sum from the €18m he agreed to defer during the pandemic.

Barcelona are engaged in similar conversations with Pique and Ter Stegen (Lenglet is on loan at Tottenham Hotspur) but it is unknown if they have also received communication of a legal nature.

De Jong’s preference is to stay with the 26-time La Liga champions but if a departure does end up materialising, he is said not to have made a decision so far on the team he would like to join.

Chelsea have a firm interest and while it is understood they are yet to submit a formal bid, sources indicate they are prepared to fund the transfer fee and cover the salary debt should De Jong pick a switch to Stamford Bridge. They have an advantage over United in playing Champions League football this season, although it is thought that alone will not determine his potential destination.

Despite their predicament, Barcelona have recruited heavily this summer; Franck Kessie, Andreas Christensen, Raphinha, Robert Lewandowski and Jules Kounde are the most notable acquisitions. Barcelona declined to comment and HCM Sports Management, who look after De Jong, were approached for comment.
That's next level low now - sorry if he decides to stay with them after they have suggested he will be implicated in criminal proceedings then the guy has literally no self-respect.

Barca would do anything to save on these deferred wages, despite signing all and sundry, despicable actions from a once proud club.

I hope Utd sign him, come and play Frenkie, somewhere where you will be adored.. Marko & Adrien will be waiting - Much Love MUFC

Loony BoB

Did they change the lawyers for the club since then? If not, I'd be very interested to know if they intend on cancelling their contracts with their lawyers too, since they are the ones who draw up the contracts. If they were illegal, it doesn't matter if there's a new president if there are the same lawyers. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think FDJ would rather risk criminal proceedings against him than play with us. We were criminal at a whole new level on the pitch yesterday.

Zlatans Knee

He was one of their best players last season.
That says absolutely nothing at all. One of the best players in a team that is going to go straight back down. I am glad that he did well for them but he is nowhere near good enough to elevate us back to where we would like to be. Again, remove the sentimentality out of the assessment. We need genuine world class players in order to compete with Chelsea and Arsenal, nevermind City and Pool.

Mr. Ant

That says absolutely nothing at all. One of the best players in a team that is going to go straight back down. I am glad that he did well for them but he is nowhere near good enough to elevate us back to where we would like to be. Again, remove the sentimentality out of the assessment. We need genuine world class players in order to compete with Chelsea and Arsenal, nevermind City and Pool.
That's true but right now we need some players so we can at least compete with Brighton, Newcastle or West Ham.

Born2Lose

Barcelona have told Frenkie de Jong they want to annul his existing contract and return to the deal he was on before, alleging the terms given to him by the club’s previous board involved criminality and provide grounds for legal action against those involved, The Athletic can reveal.

The Catalan side have serious financial problems and among the ways they are trying to improve matters is by selling De Jong or reaching an agreement with him over deferred wages he is owed.

There has so far been no sign of a compromise between the 25-year-old Netherlands midfielder and his employers in what is becoming one of the most extraordinary sagas the game has seen.

Manchester United had a bid for De Jong accepted, as reported on July 14, but issues with the player — the outstanding money owed and whether he wants a move to United — remained unresolved.

According to sources in Spain, Barcelona wrote to De Jong on July 15 claiming to have found evidence of criminal actions on behalf of the parties who signed his renewal on October 20, 2020.

It was a two-year extension until 2026 that is reported to have reduced his salary for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, leaving €18million (£15.2m, $18.3m) to be spread across the subsequent four campaigns.

De Jong’s deal was announced alongside three others — Gerard Pique, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Clement Lenglet — and this proved to be one of the final decisions by then president Josep Bartomeu prior to he and the entire board of directors at the time stepping down from their posts.

The letter sent to De Jong last month is thought to inform the Dutchman that Barcelona think they are in a position to initiate criminal proceedings to establish what happened in relation to the signing of his contract and ascertain where responsibility resides for the supposed wrongdoing.

It is believed to then express Barcelona’s wish to rescind the deal and proceed with De Jong’s career at the Camp Nou under the conditions agreed when he arrived from Ajax in January 2019.

The Athletic understands the previous board are confident in the legality of the contract De Jong signed in 2020 and insist the deal was agreed after approval from legal parties and La Liga. In an interview with the Barcelona newspaper Mundo Deportivo last year, former president Bartomeu insisted the previous board’s management of the club was “serious and responsible”.

Sources around the Catalan club suggest there has been further dialogue between Barcelona and De Jong’s camp, in which the present board have identified their predecessors for the alleged criminality and warned that De Jong and his representatives may also be implicated.

That could be perceived to reinforce comments by Evgeniy Levchenko — chairman of the Dutch players’ union — that De Jong might be a victim of extortion, a notion current Barcelona president Joan Laporta denies. Global players’ union FIFPRO is known to be closely monitoring the situation and Barcelona’s attempts to try to make the player accept a vastly reduced sum from the €18m he agreed to defer during the pandemic.

Barcelona are engaged in similar conversations with Pique and Ter Stegen (Lenglet is on loan at Tottenham Hotspur) but it is unknown if they have also received communication of a legal nature.

De Jong’s preference is to stay with the 26-time La Liga champions but if a departure does end up materialising, he is said not to have made a decision so far on the team he would like to join.

Chelsea have a firm interest and while it is understood they are yet to submit a formal bid, sources indicate they are prepared to fund the transfer fee and cover the salary debt should De Jong pick a switch to Stamford Bridge. They have an advantage over United in playing Champions League football this season, although it is thought that alone will not determine his potential destination.

Despite their predicament, Barcelona have recruited heavily this summer; Franck Kessie, Andreas Christensen, Raphinha, Robert Lewandowski and Jules Kounde are the most notable acquisitions. Barcelona declined to comment and HCM Sports Management, who look after De Jong, were approached for comment.
So glad the sheen has finally worn out on this truly scummy club.

Neilpie

Take your Man Utd hat off for a second and ask yourself why a genuine world class player would join us at the moment?

Lynty

I want De Jong here so bad.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him stay at Barcalona just to see that shitshow of a club burn. Wonder if Lewa is beginning to pannic now.

Just pay the man his god damn money and send him on his way.

lysglimt

Scout
Are we just attracting troublemakers now
I am sure there were United-fans who said the same thing in 92 when we signed Cantona. Seriously - Rabiot is at least a quality player - and would definately strengthen our midfield - Arnautovic is another matter. If this had been 5 years ago, I wouldn't be completely opposed to it - but at 33 ?

kirk buttercup

I am sure there were United-fans who said the same thing in 92 when we signed Cantona. Seriously - Rabiot is at least a quality player - and would definately strengthen our midfield - Arnautovic is another matter. If this had been 5 years ago, I wouldn't be completely opposed to it - but at 33 ?
Has Ighalo vibes I expect the same output if he signs too

Loony BoB

€€€ as usual
Sadly unless ETH does some really great work with the club this season, it does appear that we may have to "do a City" and start splurging before we get back up again. However, to do that, we would probably need some kind of revolutionary thing to happen - like the Glazers selling to a super rich person willing to invest heavily.

RORY65

Sadly unless ETH does some really great work with the club this season, it does appear that we may have to "do a City" and start splurging before we get back up again. However, to do that, we would probably need some kind of revolutionary thing to happen - like the Glazers selling to a super rich person willing to invest heavily.
I don't get why something like that already seems to be our approach, going after one "big" signing every summer and getting dragged into a saga. The template would be Liverpool when Klopp came in, their main signings in the next couple of years were from Roma (Salah and Alisson) and Southampton (Mane and Van Dijk), clubs that they were clearly bigger than with players on the rise. They weren't trying to get players out of Real Madrid (remember when we were after Ramos for ages a few years back), Barcelona or Bayern Munich but identifying young, hungry players who would excel with the step up and become the best players at a top team.

Aye, this is actually them showing that they've changed from previously. I'm sure Ten Hag specifically targeted these players months ago and this isn't everyone just flailing around in a panic. The club have done everything perfectly, they have no other option.

M4YON

Told you Chelsea would pay his owed wages, desperate to make an impression under new management, Woodward-esqe!

Zlatans Knee

ETH must be even more disappointed with the current players than we are if we are going to scrape the barrel to get these 2. My expectations are so low anyway that I can't even be bothered to be upset.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
From Antony and De Jong to Arnautovic and Rabiot. Sounds like us. Ten Hag won't last the season if this is the case.

Matt851

Would be interested in hearing from one of the many people on here who have been staunchly defending murtough and Arnold throughout the summer

It was only last week someone was talking about murtoughs achievements, one of which was implementing an analytics based approach to scouting:houllier:

M4YON

Would be interested in hearing from one of the many people on here who have been staunchly defending murtough and Arnold throughout the summer

It was only last week someone was talking about murtoughs achievements, one of which was implementing an analytics based approach to scouting:houllier:
I think Rich Fay's tweet answers your post here, this transfer window has nothing to do with analytics or our clubs scouting it's simply going after the players ETH has asked for regardless.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Those people will judge him after window is closed, remember? :rolleyes:
And yeah, he did wonders with women team. He is great.

Loony BoB

I don't get why something like that already seems to be our approach, going after one "big" signing every summer and getting dragged into a saga. The template would be Liverpool when Klopp came in, their main signings in the next couple of years were from Roma (Salah and Alisson) and Southampton (Mane and Van Dijk), clubs that they were clearly bigger than with players on the rise. They weren't trying to get players out of Real Madrid (remember when we were after Ramos for ages a few years back), Barcelona or Bayern Munich but identifying young, hungry players who would excel with the step up and become the best players at a top team.
Oh, I completely agree that we shouldn't be trying to buy from Barca, RM and Bayern. I even made a thread about it in the main MU forum here, our history is terrible for that. But City didn't do that either, for the most part. At least, not the parts that made them successful. Liverpool weren't buying cheap either.

You're right in that I should probably have gone with "Do a Liverpool" instead, although I'd argue at the moment we are in a lower position than Liverpool were. Although it must be said that Liverpool absolutely splashed the cash, they did it more intelligently with where they bought them from.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that we should be signing players with potential to improve instead of trying to buy the latest big name, or players who are past it. Build for the future instead of for this season, or next season. I honestly don't mind if we "take a season off" this or next season to focus on developing young talent such as Iqbal and Garnacho, and focus on buying in the next big things - like we have been looking into with Sesko. Is it a gamble? You betcha. But it's a more reliable gamble (and lower long term wages, more often than not) than buying big name players from clubs that already pay big money as it is.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Those people will judge him after window is closed, remember? :rolleyes:
And yeah, he did wonders with women team. He is great.
Slam Murtough/Arnold all you want but you all wanted the club to back the manager and back thr manager they have. Getting the targets HE wants. Just because they’re not as fancy as YOU want, doesn’t mean they’re not good at their jobs.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
We’ve spent a fecking billion! You cannot say the Glazers don’t want to spend because they clearly do spend.
Exactly. We blew a Feck load on Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo last year and we’ve completely fallen apart since. Sancho looks like the biggest dud since Veron. If he wasn’t an England international he’d be getting torn to shreds by the media.

cyberman

Exactly. We blew a Feck load on Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo last year and we’ve completely fallen apart since. Sancho looks like the biggest dud since Veron. If he wasn’t an England international he’d be getting torn to shreds by the media.
Hate to say it but I’m having real reservations about Sancho now. Maybe in Germany he has more space but it’s constantly take the ball slowly to the edge of the box and cut back, cut back, cut back.
Just cross the ball, just once. See what happens

Superden

Rabiot WHEN his mind is right and injury free is a rolls Royce of a player...

Status
Not open for further replies.