Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Mount , Onana , Hojlund and Pavard is a great transfer window if we can box this off. Makes us far stronger . RB and CB versatility, Keeper who can play out from the back , another player who is creative and can help our transition in the middle of the park and create opportunities, and an Actual striker ( albeit young and mostly potential at this stage ). Bring on the season . I'm excited by all of that
add a midfielder to that (probably Amrabat) and it's the best window in a very very long time

zaafi

It quite literally does make sense. He can tackle but a defender's job involves a lot more involved than that. He's regularly caught out of position, gets sucked inside and loses his man or gets lost under the high ball.

My concern is that he's 25. Can he really improve his awareness and positioning that much? He's surely been told what he's doing wrong thousands of times by now.

The fact that ten Hag hasn't gotten rid of him yet means very little. You can only make so many changes in one window and he's not the main cause for concern but I highly doubt he's anywhere near the first team in 2/3 season's time.
The bolded part is a bit of a reach. Where else would he be? The reserves? He has been playing PL football since he was 19, about to start his 7th PL season. He is one of the world's best tacklers, very good when it comes to recovering, reads the game surprisingly well, and is a decent ball carrier.
His problem is concentration, and as you say, gets caught out of position too often for a right back. More often than not, he manages to save the situation, so it's not like a lot of the goals we concede are on him, but it's a bit of a risk when he loses focus.

His offensive contributions started off pretty decent, with 4 assists in his first PL season for us, and 2 goals + 4 assists in his second. Now that we haven't played with a striker, his contributions have gone noticably down, and he barely crosses anymore. When he does it, it's actually pretty good. They're often on the ground so the target can hit it instantly (like Mejbri against Bilbao).

At the very least, he will be a back-up, and hopefully ahead of Dalot.

Highfather_24

You do realise that Amrabat hinges on selling Fred & Donny not those two or don't you see him as someone capable of covering
Would gladly be proven wrong, but do you really think we want both McT and Amrabat in our squad? So what would we have done if we had sold McT to West Ham? Buy Amrabat and another CM? Lets be realistic here.

This is from the Luckhurst article :

Amrabat coming in would be contingent on an outgoing and that may not necessarily be Fred as his place was taken by Mason Mount. United knew Mount was coming as far back as May, so were relaxed about Fred fraternising with Fulham manager Marco Silva outside Old Trafford on the final day of the league season.

Withnail

The bolded part is a bit of a reach. Where else would he be? The reserves? He has been playing PL football since he was 19, about to start his 7th PL season. He is one of the world's best tacklers, very good when it comes to recovering, reads the game surprisingly well, and is a decent ball carrier.
His problem is concentration, and as you say, gets caught out of position too often for a right back. More often than not, he manages to save the situation, so it's not like a lot of the goals we concede are on him, but it's a bit of a risk when he loses focus.

His offensive contributions started off pretty decent, with 4 assists in his first PL season for us, and 2 goals + 4 assists in his second. Now that we haven't played with a striker, his contributions have gone noticably down, and he barely crosses anymore. When he does it, it's actually pretty good. They're often on the ground so the target can hit it instantly (like Mejbri against Bilbao).

At the very least, he will be a back-up, and hopefully ahead of Dalot.
He's 25. When is he going to develop this concentration?

Reserves, no,I expect him to be sold, along with Dalot (unless they improve significantly) if we want to be challenging for titles. One of them may be kept as a back-up but neither are really good enough.

zaafi

He's 25. When is he going to develop this concentration?

Reserves, no,I expect him to be sold, along with Dalot (unless they improve significantly) if we want to be challenging for titles. One of them may be kept as a back-up but neither are really good enough.
He already has, in my opinion. Last season, he was much more positionally secure and had way fewer concentration lapses than in the previous seasons. Whether he further improves it remains to be seen this coming season. I just don't think he is someone we should sell, as I think he is definitely good enough to be part of a PL winning squad, at least as a rotational player.

Withnail

He already has, in my opinion. Last season, he was much more positionally secure and had way fewer concentration lapses than in the previous seasons. Whether he further improves it remains to be seen this coming season. I just don't think he is someone we should sell, as I think he is definitely good enough to be part of a PL winning squad, at least as a rotational player.
We shall see. There was an improvement but I didn't really see what everyone was so impressed by. Maybe, he can kick on.

NLunited

Ok mate. :confused:

That's also gone into the transfer tweets feed btw.
That was a response to AWB not being good at heading balls away.

Shiit, does every tweet here automatically go in the transfer twitter feed? In that case I apologize.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Is Pavard the one who scored a worldie in the world cup?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You do realise that Amrabat hinges on selling Fred & Donny not those two or don't you see him as someone capable of covering
And if the BBC is to be believed Amrabat wants to join Atletico Madrid not us

padzilla

Hipster
If we sell McTominay, VDB and Fred and only have Mount as a midfield signing we are asking for trouble in the event of injuries.

parmenio

Tapsoba gives you what Todibo does but is better in the air imo. I think he is a more direct replacement for Varane and gives better balance next to Martinez. He loves a cheeky awkward looking dribble circa 2010-2012 Chris Smalling which is always fun.
Why not get an actual CB instead of worsening the LB position?
I felt Shaw played better as LCB to be fair. was brilliant in both positions last season. But if Harry goes we need another to replace for sure.

NLunited

If we sell McTominay, VDB and Fred and only have Mount as a midfield signing we are asking for trouble in the event of injuries.
That won‘t happen. Fred or McT out is Amrabat in probably.

VdB can be replaced with Hanniball.

Apokalips

Especially considering last season we emergency loaned in Sabitzer. I would assume Mainoo and Hannibal will get more chances this season though potentially, plus one more signing.

Remember the geese

Not really. Mount replaces Fred, Mainoo replaces McTominay and quite frankly nobody needs to replace Donny, but we've got Hannibal for good measure. Besides, we absolutely will sign another midfielder should all of those three depart.

Baxquux

it's according to a Spanish paper I think. Spanish paper in 'player prefers to come to Spain' shocker
Exactly - the BBC aggregate any old tat in that column, as opposed to their 'official' football news announcements (largely by Stone)..

Borussia Teeth

Mount is Fred's replacement. I think we will buy a dm/first phase midfielder to replace McTominay; probably Amrabat, hopefully Caicedo. Hannibal/Mainoo can replace vdB's non existent minutes. We would still have EtH's first choice trio from last season: Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno.

Sea-Cow

We shall see. There was an improvement but I didn't really see what everyone was so impressed by. Maybe, he can kick on.
Were you impressed when he wins his 1 v 1 battles consistently up against the best left wingers in the league? Matoma at Brighton had right backs scrambling last year but AWB won his battles almost every time. That, to me, is very impressive.