Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We were warned by pessimistic journalists of ESPN(Mark Ogden) and The Athletic that we will have problems with this summer transfer window and the budget is tiny.

We failed to sell players we ought to sell - Maguire, Henderson, McTominay, Van de Beek, Bailly, Williams...

Unfortunately, we're in for a disappointing season, especially if Glazers decide to stay. We bought an injured, young, unproven striker who still hasn't played for us and an underwhelming Mason Mount(who we probably didn't even need) who's also injury prone - missed a lot of time last season at Chelsea because of injuries.

Only saving grace of this transfer window for now looks to be Onana, big upgrade on De Gea.
How tiny has the budget actually been when we've spent 180 or so million?
Yes I know we've brought about 20m back in in sales but haven't managed to ship McTom Maguire or Hendo who would have brought proper fees in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Many reckon Maguire 2 seasons ago was our worst centre back season in memory.
Evans in his last season definitely competes.

So to bring him back in about 7 or 8 years on seems utterly bizarre.
Evans a few years ago when he was in his prime, sure, decent signing. This version of Evans, absolutely not. I wouldn't blame people for not watching Leicester last season but if they had they wouldn't be advocating for him under any circumstances.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Evans a few years ago when he was in his prime, sure, decent signing. This version of Evans, absolutely not. I wouldn't blame people for not watching Leicester last season but if they had they wouldn't be advocating for him under any circumstances.
Evans is free, wages next to nothing, will be happy to sit on the bench or in the stands and we can tell him to feck off whenever we want....so pretty much the opposite of maguire which is why id make the swap even if evans is worse of the two.

AndySmith1990

Evans is free, wages next to nothing, will be happy to sit on the bench or in the stands and we can tell him to feck off whenever we want....so pretty much the opposite of maguire which is why id make the swap even if evans is worse of the two.
Why should we care about any of that. Quality is what we need, not cheap dross who are happy to just be here

NLunited

No, he is not. We are defending much better with Varane. He is the one organizing and the calming presence. I like Lisandro but he is not there yet and has been taken off by half time the last game.

I don’t think we will find anyone as good as Varane if we sell him. So I don’t see the point. We are better off with home playing 30 games then without him.
Defending is done as a team: Varane and Martinez work together well. Varamne is very composed, a Rolls Royce of a player, but he has lost speed and mobility.

I think we were looking to upgrade on Varane and Maguire with Kim.

Martinez is very good, but he’ll end up getting cards if mistakes are made in our positioning, just like Casemiro. They both will come in with a foul to fix a mistake.

The blame for getting subbed off lies with the whole team, not Martinez.

userman

For all of Maguires shortcomings as a player and the hate that he gets, he is a whole lot better then Evans. Surely Evans is just a signing to fill up the Home Grown quota (club and country) if we sell both of Henderson/McT, and to provide an extra body in training if we sell Maguire.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Club is an utter embarrassment. The writing is on the wall for the season already.

City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Brighton all look far ahead of us. Presently we are on the level of Chelsea, Villa, and Spurs and I wouldn't say we are top of that list.

peridigm

Club is an utter embarrassment. The writing is on the wall for the season already.

City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Brighton all look far ahead of us. Presently we are on the level of Chelsea, Villa, and Spurs and I wouldn't say we are top of that list.
If we sign Evans on a one year deal and it forces Maguire to leave, we did great. Lower wages and he won’t play at all in the PL or CL. Lindelof and Shaw are ahead of both at CB anyway.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
If we sign Evans on a one year deal and it forces Maguire to leave, we did great. Lower wages and he won’t play at all in the PL or CL. Lindelof and Shaw are ahead of both at CB anyway.
I don't think he cares at this point that he is low down the pecking order. I doubt he's below Evans in any case.

Matt851

It is funny that 3 or 4 weeks ago everyone was delighted we'd got our business done early and could focus on getting rid of the deadwood for the rest of the window. Now, a couple of poor performances later, we haven't got a clue what we're doing and the team is a shambles.

There's not a player we're linked to at the moment that gets us closer to the title, so we'd be spending to bring in a squad player basically at this point.
You obviously ignored all the moaning about signing mount over a genuine 8

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
And by following your progress closely we mean lighting candles and praying Ipswich activate that option to buy.
Williams' contract expires next year, but we do have an option, so the "option to buy" is contingent on United activating that 1-year option at some point.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
That's not my issue at all, bad or a slow start to the season happen all the time, I don't think it's actually been that horrendous, just a bit disappointing. You actually pointed out why most people are frustrated in the sentence before it, or at least why I am. We haven't shifted the deadwood, and we've known for weeks further upgrades to the team relied on that. It hasn't happened, it all looked very rosey when it seemed to be going our way, but its not exactly gone to plan, has it?

I agree with your last point, there's no noise to anything even remotely that impressive that would truly make a huge difference, and to me that's massively disappointing.
My issue is that I don't know what the club could have done about the selling side. Aside from the Maguire bid I don't think any of the reported bids have been worthy of accepting.

Henderson - loan to buy option with Forest wanting a min of 30 games to turn it into obligation all whilst targeting 2 keepers. Seems Palace are now interested, so if we manage to shift him there it was a good move to reject the Forest offer.

Williams - No transfer bid ever reported.

Bailly - Free transfer possibility

DvB - We've been trying to sort a low transfer fee deal out, other clubs seemingly insistent on a loan.

McTominay is basically the only disputable one as 30M would likely be seen as a positive by some sections of the fan base and that we'd been ripped off by others.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Williams' contract expires next year, but we do have an option, so the "option to buy" is contingent on United activating that 1-year option at some point.
I see. I hope the club doesn’t activate the option as Ipswich triggering any clause for Williams is fantasy land.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

We are easily above all of them, and the signing of Evans is a low risk situation. You're articulating the argument like we'd need to depend on him in key games.

Dazzmondo

Official: Noam Emeran joins Groningen

Did well in the first pre-season game. Hope he does well. Eredivisie's a good league for young players to develop right now. Belgian league also seems to be producing a lot of good young talents atm.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Why are we buying backup keepers for 15m when we have no midfield

Dazzmondo

Why are we buying backup keepers for 15m when we have no midfield
Because we must always sign a backup keeper every year. This is United heritage

Tbf we actually need a decent one this season because Onana will be missing for a while with Cameroon

croadyman

I can't even begin to care about our 2nd choice keeper, even if its a justified and needed purchase.
Yeah if it was alongside getting Amrabat/Gravenberch and hijacking Roma deal for Leonardo then would feel differently

sparx99

It seems closer to the recent Huddlestone and McShane deals. An experienced player who can fill in during training and maybe make an occasional appearance in an injury crisis but is otherwise brought in to finish coaching badges etc.

Dazzmondo

Seeing some reports that Fiorentina lowered their asking price for Amrabat to £21m and that he's not with Fiorentina squad. Think the Mount injury might finally have forced us to get this one done tbh. I think he'll help a lot if he is signed

peridigm

Seeing some reports that Fiorentina lowered their asking price for Amrabat to £21m and that he's not with Fiorentina squad. Think the Mount injury might finally have forced us to get this one done tbh. I think he'll help a lot if he is signed
This years Gaitan. If he was really wanted by ETH, we'd have signed him long ago with the amount being asked.

dejans

Why are You still here exactly?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Heard this same shit last season.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Another contrary post for the sake of it. We need important upgrades, we're not a City or Real Madrid for example adding further diamonds to their already diamond studded crown. If you genuinely are happy to go into the new season with what we've currently got and think we can truly kick on properly from here, good for you.
If it was up to you we wouldn’t have made a single singing in 10 years.
Fact of the matter is, we knew, even before the window was open that the budget is pretty low. In comparison it has been low every single year. So we need to be realistic, getting all worked up because we aren’t spending as vigorous as Chelsea or as City, just isn’t worth my time.

If we get players in great, if not, that’s ok too. We have to work with what we got. I’m content of where we are at and a steady (allegedly) climb to the top.

If we were in this position with new owners, then yes, I’ll agree. But we’ve had a budget circa £250M each year for the last decade and then some.

So I really don’t understand why people are getting so worked up when we know full well our budget isn’t that big and we were warned weeks, if not months ago we will need to sell before we can go out and buy more than our usual 3 players.

Problem is, the players we want to sell no one wants or the player doesn’t want to leave and we can’t force anyone to go.

Just not take it all that seriously and see where we are at, at the end of the window & then support the club until the end.

Rinse and repeat until end of season. The constant want and need for shiny new toys each and every year. Especially after getting said shiny new toys and then wanting to get rid when they don’t live up to the incredible expectations we have set up in our head is incredibly boring too. As is the “grass is always greener” mindset that a lot of fans have too.