Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Think he'd be a good squad option actually although it's not exactly obvious where Mount really "fits" in the team at the minute and while KDH is a bit more comfortable deeper he'd be in the same position
For a squad player to pay 40M seems to me to be a bad decision. Sign players who are going to be starters and for squad depth young players from the academy. Or players who finish their contracts.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Some of you clearly don't watch Leicester or KDH. If you want someone who can recieve the ball under pressure, carry the ball well and pass the ball forward extremely well he would be a fantastic signing. 10 goals and 12 assists this season. He is clearly not average and he has come into his own this season.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
For a squad player to pay 40M seems to me to be a bad decision. Sign players who are going to be starters and for squad depth young players from the academy. Or players who finish their contracts.
United's plan is to sign him on a discount. There's no other reason to inquire about him otherwise. Leicester can value him at £40m all they want, but United aren't necessarily looking to bring him in at all costs. From the original article, if Leicester don't get promoted, then he has a gentleman's agreement to leave the club for a lower fee. That's where the £25m guaranteed fee comes from in the UtdDistrict Tweet.

The original Tweet with the key context (Tier 2):

Bestie07

Some of you clearly don't watch Leicester or KDH. If you want someone who can recieve the ball under pressure, carry the ball well and pass the ball forward extremely well he would be a fantastic signing. 10 goals and 12 assists this season. He is clearly not average and he has come into his own this season.
I have no idea how good or bad this guy is but if he is being signed to improve the starting eleven, I am all for it. I am against the idea of spending millions of pounds on squad fillers when we have gaping holes throughout our team. We need players who will come in and improve the starting eleven.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolutely agreed, hence why I'd be more than happy taking a look at him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I have no idea how good or bad this guy is but if he is being signed to improve the starting eleven, I am all for it. I am against the idea of spending millions of pounds on squad fillers when we have gaping holes throughout our team. We need players who will come in and improve the starting eleven.
Well I think most signings are to improve the squad, it's up to them to make the starting XI. He is better than Eriksen and Amrabaat and they've played a fair few minutes for us.
Absolutely agreed, hence why I'd be more than happy taking a look at him.
Spot on, not entirely sure where he'd fit, but I assume an Eriksen replacement.

seasidedaz

I have very much seen this lad play. He was on loan here at Blackpool and he has great vision, can pick a pass, and the lad can score goal‘s too. Is he united Quality no idea but look how Maddison who is doing well at spurs and this lad is just as Good and he has a great attitude to go with it.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
In my opinion he's been the best player in the championship this season and oozes class every time I've watched Leicester. Whether we buy him or not the lad is destined to play at a higher level.

Dazzmondo

He's playing in the Championship, those sort of numbers don't mean anything. He got 2 goals and 2 assists in his last PL season. Diallo got 13 goals and 3 assists for a weaker team in the Championship and he hasn't got a look in. KDH is probably being looked at as a cheap squad option due to Leicester's financial issues that would also count as home grown. This is the type of deal I'm ok with only if all our more important positions are addressed first. Tbh, at 25 years old I don't think he's good enough for Utd at all.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
United's plan is to sign him on a discount. There's no other reason to inquire about him otherwise. Leicester can value him at £40m all they want, but United aren't necessarily looking to bring him in at all costs. From the original article, if Leicester don't get promoted, then he has a gentleman's agreement to leave the club for a lower fee. That's where the £25m guaranteed fee comes from in the UtdDistrict Tweet.

The original Tweet with the key context (Tier 2):
For 40M United would be interested in signing him? In other words, that 15M difference can bring the signing down? I have never seen the player.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
He's playing in the Championship, those sort of numbers don't mean anything. He got 2 goals and 2 assists in his last PL season. Diallo got 13 goals and 3 assists for a weaker team in the Championship and he hasn't got a look in. KDH is probably being looked at as a cheap squad option due to Leicester's financial issues that would also count as home grown. This is the type of deal I'm ok with only if all our more important positions are addressed first. Tbh, at 25 years old I don't think he's good enough for Utd at all.
That's because the guy in charge would rather see Antony stink up the place.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Dewsbury hall is the sort of player the CAF turns their noses up at who will go to a Chelsea or an Arsenal & then moan why “we don’t make these type of signings”

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
For 40M United would be interested in signing him? In other words, that 15M difference can bring the signing down? I have never seen the player.
For a player like him, yeah, especially when United have other needs to address, such as a new striker and a younger, more athletic centre back. A midfielder like him would only be an opportunistic signing, and he'll fight for a place in the team as an attacking #8 along with Mount, McTominay, and Bruno.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Like him hes a good player, for the right price would be a good option

Red00012

With this Jim takeover , we are going to be linked with 100x the amount of players we were linked with last season.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Extended quotes:

My focus is the European Championship. If we did something, a contract here before, everyone would be saying, "Why are you signing a contract before a Euros where you've got to prove yourself?" I'm certainly not going to speak to anybody else ahead of that. I never have. I've been eight years in the job. I wouldn't entertain speaking to anybody else when I'm in a job.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
In my opinion he's been the best player in the championship this season and oozes class every time I've watched Leicester. Whether we buy him or not the lad is destined to play at a higher level.
Exactly, watching him against Chelsea he looked very much the best midfielder on the pitch as well.
Of course they do. So what, he's clearly improved since? Diallo isn't even a similar player, don't really understand the comparison.

He's being monitored because he's good. If you want a cheap squad option, you don't look at the best player in the championship.

Dazzmondo

Dewsbury hall is the sort of player the CAF turns their noses up at who will go to a Chelsea or an Arsenal & then moan why “we don’t make these type of signings”
Are we really going to act like Chelsea are a gold standard for making good signings?

Exactly, watching him against Chelsea he looked very much the best midfielder on the pitch as well.

Of course they do. So what, he's clearly improved since? Diallo isn't even a similar player, don't really understand the comparison.

He's being monitored because he's good. If you want a cheap squad option, you don't look at the best player in the championship.
He may have improved but it's too hard to judge a player's level just from the Championship. The level is too low. The Diallo comparison was just to show that good numbers in the Championship don't necessarily translate to the PL.

James Garner looked a star in the Championship and while he's been solid for Everton, he was deemed to not be good enough for Utd. Ethan Laird had an excellent loan in the Championship and was deemed not good enough. Josh Brownhill had a great season from midfield last season getting 7 goals and 8 assists and certainly hasn't been anything special in the PL this season. Same with Oliver Norwood. If you go one more season back I'd say you'd find one of the bigger successes of the step up in Philip Billing who got 10 goals and 10 assists and has been pretty good for Bournemouth in the PL. Despite this, would many here genuinely want Utd to go out and sign Philip Billing?

There are some occasions where the player can make the transition, but they're pretty rare and it's not like EDH is 19 or 20. We should certainly be prioritising the cb, lb, dm and striker positions first.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes - and look what happened when Diallo got a chance against Liverpool.

Dannn411

Amen. Honestly there's at least 2 or 3 academy midfielders who would be more than capable squad members and contributors to our team right now. Mainoo has clearly shown this. Oyedele and Gore immediately come to mind. If we are spending in midfield, it needs to be on truly special talent.

lysglimt

Scout
Amen. Honestly there's at least 2 or 3 academy midfielders who would be more than capable squad members and contributors to our team right now. Mainoo has clearly shown this. Oyedele and Gore immediately come to mind. If we are spending in midfield, it needs to be on truly special talent.
We have no young central midfielders who are anywhere near the level of first-team football at United.

aeh1991

Those Drewsbury-Hall links are weird. If we wanna go for a cheap squad player im CM, I'd rather get Barkley on a free. The latter at least had a good season in the EPL.

NLunited

Yes - and look what happened when Diallo got a chance against Liverpool.
His break out game for me; he looked so good in several aspects not just dribbling. His other cameos were not so good, let‘s not pretend otherwise.

IRN-BRUno

Oyedele couldn't get into the squad for a Forest Green side battling to stay up in the 4th tier, he's clearly nowhere near ready to contribute here.