Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Dannn411

McTominay might, but it shouldn’t lead to us not accepting bids for Maguire
Don't think Mctom's bid being rejected has any bearing on Maguire. Think the club will be willing to talk at £30m.

Baxquux

Quite aside from Henderson slip, those valuations are wild in most cases. The only club outside Gulf states (or Chelsea, who have bought all they need in the two relevant positions) that stumps up 40m for Maguire or even 45 for Sancho, is PSG, and they appear to be better run now with the new SD/recruitment regime. If those valuations are genuine, and not just a risky negotiating ploy - and rejecting the 60m offer suggests they sadly are 'real' - then we're going to be lumbered with all kinds of detritus and not able to freshen up the squad or introduce youngsters properly. Setting Sancho aside, we'd be lucky to get 100m for all of the rest combined.

sparx99

Not sure about this. I can envisage a repeat of the Henderson situation where supposedly strategic tough line has seen us hang onto a player whose value has significantly depreciated. There are lots of cheaper and technically better players available all over Europe, who can even bring a certain amount of 'drive' to the mix; we should be grateful that Moyes is as fixated on a British core, it seems, as Ole was. Except that West Ham's exec are significantly less cash-flush than ours under Woodward, whilst they've also brought in a DOF as countervoice, so they won't be spending desperate amounts on mid-table players.

We're going to see Scott popping up for 35 appearances minimum, start and bench, chest forward, running around a lot, mistiming tackles, hiding from the ball except where he has acres of space, and taking up the place of, say, Mainoo because of his seniority. No other club, short of a Middle Eastern one, would offer more than 20m for him, either because of their finances or because of their status (i.e they're targeting better, sharper players), at least now that Newcastle seem to be out of the running...
We’re damned either way. Fans moan about us getting shit fees then moan when we don’t accept the first offer.

In general we seem to have a steady grasp on negotiating both incomings and outgoings this summer. I want to see a few more deals done but West Ham will want these to move fast so they can get them into training.

Baxquux

We’re damned either way. Fans moan about us getting shit fees then moan when we don’t accept the first offer.

In general we seem to have a steady grasp on negotiating both incomings and outgoings this summer. I want to see a few more deals done but West Ham will want these to move fast so they can get them into training.
It's largely Woodward's fault (or via him, the ownership) for burdening us with nigh unsellable players, given the wages and contract extensions; hence I've personally never had an issue with getting these players out on the cheap in a squad restructuring. The only complaints have been with (a) over-valuing players who've shown themselves continually unsuitable and (b) mismanaging the sale of young players. In the latter case, this usually means we haven't properly used the loan system to trial them and put them in the shop window then sell quickly at their 'peak' price once we've hade a decision that they're not likely to be first-team level any time soon. City have the advantage of academy reputation plus (widely alleged) shady practices and former employees strategically placed in other clubs development and acquisition wings.... but even so, they're selling players at similar career stages for 10X what we get (or more, on average it's probably close to 12-14x)

SinNombre

Our fanbase is dumb and likes to moan, especially the ones on the transfer threads.

Keep in mind some of them would have driven Maguire out on a free since he is “shite”

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What do we need to raise £100m for? :wenger:
Well, we have spent I don’t know how much since last summer without selling anyone apart from Elanga and a couple of kids plus crap players for peanuts. We do need to raise some money to balance the books a bit.
We are not buying Kane, people should just accept it.

croadyman

Well, we have spent I don’t know how much since last summer without selling anyone apart from Elanga and a couple of kids plus crap players for peanuts. We do need to raise some money to balance the books a bit.
We are not buying Kane, people should just accept it.
Certainly not this summer

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That’ll be, potentially, with Bailly also leaving, another 800k a week in wages saved. Which is a lot. And if we can get 35 for Maguire, 40 for McT, 15 for DvB, 15 for Fred, 20 for Hendo, and let’s be honest nothing for Bailly, that’s 125m into the coffers and 800k off the payroll. To already add to the 22m we got for Elanga and Telles. Plus Jones, De Gea and Tuanzebe off the payroll. Total payroll savings alone is worth 1.4-1.5m p/wk. Which is immense.I think the collective weekly of Onana, Mount and Hojlund is about 550k p/wk, so still a net gain of 900k-1m per week.

Purchases have set us back an initial 162m this summer, but if we make all the sales that are mooted, our net spend will be about 12-15m. Which obviously gives us plenty of wiggle room to add Amrabat, Todibo, and probably another player at 40-50m if we really need to. Frankly, looking at those numbers, we could easily afford to buy a Lavia or even Tchouameni if he was available, and still come in within budget.

Oh, and a much, much better squad.

KD6-3.7

I can see us failing to shift off McTominay and Maguire due to a difference in valuation.

I'd snap off their hands for £60M for both of them. Right now they are literally the only club showing concrete interest in either so United better not bottle this.

gajender

I can see us failing to shift off McTominay and Maguire due to a difference in valuation.

I'd snap off their hands for £60M for both of them. Right now they are literally the only club showing concrete interest in either so United better not bottle this.
I think from outside it looks good deal for all involved but I'll go against my better judgement here and back Murtough and co to squeeze another £5-7 m more from West Ham bit risky but I think West Ham would pay up eventually .

Sanche7

Maguire for 30 million is probably fine, but not Mctominay for 30 million. He's at least a 40 million player, in the current market, IMO. We have been buying high and selling low for a long time, I wouldn't mind us holding on for a bit more. And of all the players we want to sell, I would rather sell Maguire, Fred, DVB, Henderson, before selling Mctominay.

NLunited

70m for both is fair. We will have to pay that to get Amrabat and a good defender, at the minimum.

Longlivekeano

60 million pounds up front
5million pounds add-one for EPL survival
10million pounds add-ons for Europa Lg
20 million pounds add-ons for Champs Lg

Matt851

He absolutely is. Worse players are going for similar or even higher amounts.
Who?

West ham appear to ve the only club in for mct and he is average at best as a dm. He may be a better box to box midfielder but he hasn't had the opportunity to show it so we don't know

Josep Dowling

Asking £45m for McTominay is just mental. £60m for both players is probably a bit low but if I was in charge I wouldn’t risk that deal breaking down just to get another £5m. Being able to shift two players who aren’t regulars should be priority. It’s good fees given our recent history.

Real Name

Quite aside from Henderson slip, those valuations are wild in most cases. The only club outside Gulf states (or Chelsea, who have bought all they need in the two relevant positions) that stumps up 40m for Maguire or even 45 for Sancho, is PSG, and they appear to be better run now with the new SD/recruitment regime. If those valuations are genuine, and not just a risky negotiating ploy - and rejecting the 60m offer suggests they sadly are 'real' - then we're going to be lumbered with all kinds of detritus and not able to freshen up the squad or introduce youngsters properly. Setting Sancho aside, we'd be lucky to get 100m for all of the rest combined.
Literally not one of those prices is wild.
Some a bit high but not anything special.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Literally not one of those prices is wild.
Some a bit high but not anything special.
Exactly.
The same posters will probably be chomping on some other thread furious we're not just paying an extra 5-10m to get a transfer done and how it's "not my money" and such gub.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Exactly.
The same posters will probably be chomping on some other thread furious we're not just paying an extra 5-10m to get a transfer done and how it's "not my money" and such gub.
Exactly. With the exception of a few people, everyone in these transfer threads are dumb when it comes to negotiating. They probably listen to too much Goldbridge.

I reckon there are probably a few clubs lurking in the background like, Spurs, Newcastle etc. waiting for us to accept a set offer for Maguire and Mctominay, then jump in and match the offer. I'm more than happy for us to hold our evaluation, the same way others do against us.

lysglimt

Scout
Our fans complain about never getting a decent price for our players when we sell them - and then our fans complain that we don't sell our players cheaper to get rid of them.

Out of curiosity - can people here name one good central midfielder in the Premier League who is not close to run down his contract, and who is available at below £30 million ? Oh yes he has to be no more than 26 years old and en established international.

We could go to any club in the P.L and ask about a mediocre central midfielder - much worse than McTominay, and they would still ask more than £20 million for him - yet some people here think it's ridiculous that we ask more than £30 million for a scottish international who has played regularly for the club over the last 4 seasons give or take. The fact is - we couldn't find a player of McTominays quality for under £40 million in the Premier League (unless there was a contract issue) - but still our fans expect us to sell a better player cheaper to our opponents ?

Djemba-Djemba

Our fans complain about never getting a decent price for our players when we sell them - and then our fans complain that we don't sell our players cheaper to get rid of them.

Out of curiosity - can people here name one good central midfielder in the Premier League who is not close to run down his contract, and who is available at below £30 million ? Oh yes he has to be no more than 26 years old and en established international.

We could go to any club in the P.L and ask about a mediocre central midfielder - much worse than McTominay, and they would still ask more than £20 million for him - yet some people here think it's ridiculous that we ask more than £30 million for a scottish international who has played regularly for the club over the last 4 seasons give or take. The fact is - we couldn't find a player of McTominays quality for under £40 million in the Premier League (unless there was a contract issue) - but still our fans expect us to sell a better player cheaper to our opponents ?

Agree with all this.

Mctominay has been a regular first team squad player, and for a while a regular first team player, for a side in and around the top 4 for the last few years. He's an established PL player and also an international player, with an exceptional recent record in internationals.

He's 26, never really had any major serious injuries and comes with no off the field baggage or problems. He's also not on ridiculous wages so you don't have to worry about matching them to attract him. £30m for him would have been way too low and we have done the right thing in my opinion is asking for more.

SirScholes

difference is we want him gone

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think it will be a smart business to sell Mc Tominay, Fred and Maguire, replacing them with Amrabat and Evans. Cheaper (also in wages) options and will complement well our team

OmarUnited4ever

We've got to sell, but that doesn't mean we sell cheaply for assets that could still perform in PL, like Fred, Henderson, McTominay & Maguire, I get that the likes of Telles and Bailly aren't even good enough for PL teams, but the first names I mentioned still have some value, especially McTominay & Henderson who are home grown and youngish, we should be getting fees closer to the club's valuation, McTominay is valued 45M so I expect a 40M or a bit more would convince the club, Maguire is valued at 40M, so a 35m should do the trick, these are not crazy valuation at all, and these clubs themselves demand an arm and a leg when big clubs come knocking so they should stump up the fees since they also manage to sell very well, WH case in point got 105M for Rice, so they can easily afford Maguire plus Mctom for a total between 70-75.

Baxquux

Exactly. With the exception of a few people, everyone in these transfer threads are dumb when it comes to negotiating. They probably listen to too much Goldbridge.

I reckon there are probably a few clubs lurking in the background like, Spurs, Newcastle etc. waiting for us to accept a set offer for Maguire and Mctominay, then jump in and match the offer. I'm more than happy for us to hold our evaluation, the same way others do against us.
Or maybe people are wary about trusting the negotiating skills of the club (or at least the people appointed to it), through previous experience. We were assured that the likes of Woodward were geniuses, due to their experience in non-footballing-related finance fields, playing 4d chess in terms of their strategy when it came to acquiring players or maintaining the value of assets in order to sell them, which saw us saddled with players ill-suited to the new managers style (or, in some cases, arguably to playing for any top 4 contender). We missed out on selling Bailly and Lingard and (previously) Henderson, because our team of great minds didn't recognise the situation in each case for what it was and pushed for far too much money (20 when it was clear clubs would only go up to 6, or 30 when we could have got 20 and a discontented player out etc) relative to skillset, wage situation and demand.

I think a lot of fans would like to extend the benefit of the doubt to the current team, with a new lead negotiator coming in to supplement it apparently, but the evidence is inconclusive, particularly because we haven't seen clear signs of the footballing exec (chiefly Murtough) overseeing operations being unequivocally savvy and with a clear direction for the club - unlike, say PSGs new direction, or City or Brighton or the recent (last 2-3 years) improvements in Arsenal's transfer strategy.

I'm not one of those who criticized the club for paying 64m for Hojlund -in the circumstances, and with PSG also hovering, I think this represents a calculated risk; the Mount and Onana deals are probably on par - there were cheaper options arguably available with similar skillsets, but both were pushed by the manager (which, again is double-edged in terms of the power, but EThs reforms have been so far net positive). Likewise, the Antony deal last year, which I'm not sure how anyone can argue wasn't a gross overpayment. Fans felt it, more serious footballing journalist and analysts also argued this. We could see the logic in purchasing a player with some of his skillset and experience of working with ETH, but the overall strategic direction around that purchase -from the deals to the final negotiations - went pretty awry. The youth sales might end up being sensible based upon the sell-on percentages negotiated, but at the moment those look disproportionately low compared to what City or Liverpool sell their promising (but not most highly-rated) young players for. Scott McT and Maguire are both unsuitable to play in this side: even with a more pressing-grounded rather than purely possession-based game, McT looks out of place for reasons that hundreds of online analysts have detailed, whilst not only are Maguire's turning speed and acceleration a contras issue, but we've seen his confidence and positioning decline. There isn't a significant market for those players at the level of clubs which can also pick up salaries and pay a sizeable transfer fee - if Newcastle aren't interested, and it seems like they have other priorities with Tonali coming in, Longstaff playing a similar game to McT but better, then I don't think there's any market for him except West Ham. Likewise, Maguire might suit 1-2 Italian clubs, but they're adverse to paying signifcant transfer fees.

This isn't one of those auctions where we can play various bidders against each other - people can say 'maybe there are' and point to vague rumours about other clubs being interested, but basic deduction would conclude that it's likely just noise. Aspirant clubs have largely moved beyond the style both players are playing - maybe Tottenham under Conte previously with a back 3 take Maguire as a slight upgrade to Dier, but that's out of the window. The noises from the club have always seemed to over-rate McTominay in particular, relative to what outside observers amongst football analysts would usually tell you, seemingly a little like SAF's view in the early 2010s of Moyes, so without a footballing director who's clear-eyed and willing to clear the decks in pursuit of a squad that can deal with technically-excellent front-foot football, we're going to have these players indulged and hanging on for at least another 12 months.

Baxquux

Donny is just a loan then?
Sociedad don't seem to have much in the way of money, so, yeah - hopefully it at least involves paying his wages. Ajax took Klaasen back for a fee from Everton previously, so maybe we can get them to give us 10m next Summer, dependent on who gets snapped up next from their squad....

HookedOnAPhelan

difference is we want him gone
Us fans may want him gone, but the club's position is clearly that we're perfectly happy to keep him as a squad option, but if he wants to leave and we get an acceptable bid we're open to letting him go. Which is the only sensible position to take unless you want to get fleeced.

SparkedIntoLife

I do like the fact we're being tough in valuations rather than just selling players desperately. However, it doesn't seem like interest for our players is abundant and so the interested parties (i.e. West Ham) could easily call our bluff and then we're left with players we don't really want and would be unable to get in anyone else we might want like Amrabat and Todibo. It's a risky strategy, unless maybe we're expecting the Saudi clubs to come in for these players late in the window (or late in theirs, which finishes a bit later than ours, I believe). The other possibility I'm wondering is whether we're deliberately keeping some players (especially Maguire and potentially Sancho could come into it) because we're planning to use them as makeweights in a late, blockbuster Harry Kane deal.