Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Toblerone92

Nope, have to sell him in that scenario. Plenty of teams across Europe would be happy to have a talent like Mason. For better or worse, some countries and cultures are a bit less triggered by this stuff than others.
Hard to argue that it’s in any way “for worse” to be taking this kind of thing seriously.

Did you mean to say that some cultures take women’s rights less seriously than we do in the UK and therefore are happy to let it slide? Because that I would agree with.

lysglimt

Scout
Lee Hughes killed a person following dangerous driving and got sentenced to 6 years in jail - did he find clubs willing to take him on after being released ? Oldham. Blackpool, Notts County, Port Vale, Forest Green and Kidderminster all signed him

Some clubs would probably not sign Greenwood - but if anyone here thinks he would struggle to find new clubs as long as he scores goals, they are very wrong.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
from an ethical perspective I think selling him isn’t the right thing to do.
Giving Greenwood away for free would, in practice, be a wealth transfer from the club to him.

Without a transfer fee, interested clubs could offer higher wages and a higher signing bonus. Hardly an "ethical" outcome.

DON’T PANIC ™

I doubt he’ll play for Utd again. If there was any prospect of a return the PR offensive would have begun months ago as soon as the case was dropped. His fiancé/former accuser would have done multiple interviews explaining why she had taken him back etc. MG would have released a statement expressing his regret about the whole incident and how it had been misconstrued etc. In my opinion, the fact that there’s been silence from both the individuals and the Club for months right up to the start of the new season suggests he won’t be back in the team. If Utd wanted to keep him, he would be back training with the squad even if not selected for the first few fixtures. He’ll be a deadline day loan or transfer abroad.

Cela shomana

I am so delighted that this window we didn't go for Marquee signings like previous windows. A shift in approach? It looks we are targeting players that will complement the system the manager is trying to implement.

scottser

Pay his remaining contract up and release him. That is the only way out of this that works. He’s free to play on IF he can find a club prepared to take the flak that will come with him. United will have behaved according to employment law in that he is treated as his legal not guilty status demands.

finding a new club might seem like it will be no-brainer, but I wonder if in reality a lot of clubs might not want to risk the likely furore from their fan base
It could be argued that he brought the club into disrepute and have his contract terminated. There'd be no reason to pay him off then, but the longer this drags on the harder it will be to take that position. He really should have been let go immediately.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've heard the recordings and am of the view he should never play for United again. But legally he's not been charged with any crime. The ethical outcome therefore can be argued to be the one which best serves as many as possible, including him, his partner and his child.

If United decide they cannot let him play for the club again then putting a transfer requirement on him is a barrier to his freedom of movement. If he says he wants to stay and we want him to leave then the only way this can happen is that we pay up the remainder of his contract. Anything else I suspect would be seen as an infringement of his rights.

Pretty sure any contract can be ended if a value specified in the contract is paid to the interested party. In the case of footballers, it would be the wages and certain bonuses that would be due if the contract duration were fulfilled.

Blood Mage

We are woefully short in midfield now so I'll be shocked if we don't get someone in. Well no I won't because Glazers. We'll sign someone if we get spanked by Brentford or someone again I guess.

Red Rash

100% but the investigation time frame is absolutely ridiculous
If we decide to keep him and integrate back into the squad the concern is the noise and distraction this could generate for the team.

Anyway to keep this transfer related I think a loan move for the season is the best approach. It will bide some time to make a decision and if he does well we can sell for a decent fee next summer.

Sir Chapman

Great business so far! Harry and Fred sold. Next one Bailly and VDB. Ready to get Amrabat and Todibo in.

AFC NimbleThumb

It has been a clusterfeck and signals a serious lack of leadership at the club.
Unless there’s some agreement behind closed doors I don’t see how they can kee him now. Surely he’d just play nice the feck off on a free after this.

As you say there’s a severe lack of leadership. If he’s staying then reintegration should have come months ago.

Blood Mage

I've heard the recordings and am of the view he should never play for United again. But legally he's not been charged with any crime. The ethical outcome therefore can be argued to be the one which best serves as many as possible, including him, his partner and his child.

If United decide they cannot let him play for the club again then putting a transfer requirement on him is a barrier to his freedom of movement. If he says he wants to stay and we want him to leave then the only way this can happen is that we pay up the remainder of his contract. Anything else I suspect would be seen as an infringement of his rights.

Pretty sure any contract can be ended if a value specified in the contract is paid to the interested party. In the case of footballers, it would be the wages and certain bonuses that would be due if the contract duration were fulfilled.
100% he'll need to be sold I hope we don't recklessly tear up his contract.

Trex

They should make a decision already, either way some people will be unhappy. Its not going to be easy but the sooner we move on to the next phase the better.

Alemar

From a huge portion of our female support I imagine.
Highly unlikely given they are getting married and already have a child together. Female support depends to a significant extent on the position of **************

Eleven.

Highly unlikely given they are getting married and already have a child together. Female support depends to a significant extent on the position of **************
Oh yeah, of course, our female fan base give zero fecks about violence against women.

MDFC Manager

Think even if he's brought back into the fold, it's still at least 3-4 months before he's even making the matchday squad.

Alemar

Think even if he's brought back into the fold, it's still at least 3-4 months before he's even making the matchday squad.
If Martial is sold or is injured (which is more likely), we won’t have anyone else. Making match day squad will be easy for a striker

MDFC Manager

If Martial is sold or is injured (which is more likely), we won’t have anyone else. Making match day squad will be easy for a striker
Yes but I still don't think ETH will risk it. He'll be way off match readiness and will only add to the inevitable shitstorm of seeing him make the team.

Matt851

They should make a decision already, either way some people will be unhappy. Its not going to be easy but the sooner we move on to the next phase the better.
It's fair to say one decision would make a lot more people angry than the other

rooneyberbatov

That Greenwood thing and the way the club handled De Gea leaving… it just screams incompetence.