Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

parmenio

Genuinely think Pellistri offers us more than Antony right now. But because of the transfer fee we have to play him regardless to save face, it's so tedious.
Thats got to be up there for post of the month.

Red00012

Tier 2:

If United cannot loan/sell Greenwood in this transfer window, then they'll terminate his contract to allow him to join another team as a free agent.
So why would they bother trying to agree a few now . Makes no sense

Baxquux

Ahh, yes. Please do bring politics into this thread already fraught with emotions...
Not wrong though - she's a massive hypocrite in innumerable ways, and everything about this whole affair ( certainly not confined to Riley 's involvement) exemplifies massive double-standards as well as how dysfunctional our media and social media ecosystem is. Obviously, whether MG plays for the club or not is minute in the scheme of things, but I also think it's a microcosm (not an original insight) of who's given legitimacy and when, burdens of proof regarding evidence, when the media decides to (or is allowed to do) 'hard-hitting' journalism and when it isn't. None of this for me is about whether MG would be effective as a footballer if he came back and/or about how he'd solve issues on the field. Nor is it about claiming he didn't behave in a toxic fashion -in fact, it's largely about contesting that, outside of what anyone very close to this has been privy to, any of us can know what happened, and how we would need to properly contextualise the initial information we were given access to.

Baxquux

So why would they bother trying to agree a few now . Makes no sense
If, say, four clubs with transfer budgets of any vaguely significant size want him, then there's a market. Whether that's for 5 million or 25m. It's a gamble (more on the footballing ability and whether it can be recaptured and then cultivated, than anything else I think), but I can see a fee of some sort being agreed for him. Players with worse records prior to his suspension and with weaker skillsets than he showed prior to that suspension have gone for 50m +

Plastic Evra

If, say, four clubs with transfer budgets of any vaguely significant size want him, then there's a market. Whether that's for 5 million or 25m. It's a gamble (more on the footballing ability and whether it can be recaptured and then cultivated, than anything else I think), but I can see a fee of some sort being agreed for him. Players with worse records prior to his suspension and with weaker skillsets than he showed prior to that suspension have gone for 50m +
Just like every fee it's a way to get priority access to the player.
Bayern could have waited for Kane to be free but would have to compete with probably half a dozen teams on his wage and contract package.

Chairman Steve

Comes from same Turkish source who reported that he was having a pre-medical in Greece today. He hasn’t got a tweet up yet though so I’m guessing he’s reporting it on some other media

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
About time we had a Turkish player. Great country full of great people. Hopefully we can do a pre-season tour there.

kaku06

Hopefully he stays in Istanbul, he's crap.
Worse than Heaton? I think Heaton is a good no. 2 by the way. Don’t understand the need to spend on a keeper when we are already so short on money however small the fee is.

pascell

Worse than Heaton? I think Heaton is a good no. 2 by the way. Don’t understand the need to spend on a keeper when we are already so short on money however small the fee is.
Fenerbahce fans liking him to Karius in terms of style, that's right, Karius.

One look of the video posted and you can see why, we're exhausting funds on this guy who we'd be better asking Foster to rethink retirement.

Baxquux

Then so is every other attacker we have.
He kills off attacks at least 50% of the time -he's more effective at it than the average opposition defender. His crossing is erratic at best, his final pass is a 1/6 chance of being accurate, he tries the top-bins curler far far too often. The only thing i've seen this season that constitutes an improvement is using his right foot now and again for something other than standing, and also trying 1-2 lower crosses. His hold-up play is ...ok. He's slightly more resilient than Pellistri at the moment in terms of shielding the ball. On the flipside he doesn't do much of anything with it there aside from passing back to Wan Bissaka, or cutting it and then misplacing a pass.

Massive miscalculation to buy him for anything like that money with our particular financial structure- its not like City where you can give a near 9 figure player 2 seasons to adjust. Definitely a strike against ETH and our recruitment structure as a whole.

Sir Chapman

Looks like Pavard is off to AC Milan. Such a pity we could not get him as a replacement for Maguire but we are stuck now with him.

parmenio

Pavard isn't all that. Now it means that we can sign a long term Varane replacement next summer.
Why is there so much focus on here going on and on about replacing players who don’t need replaced. Varane has plenty gas left. Now a no4/5 CH if Harry see sense is a different matter but until he goes we’re set at CH.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

Why is there so much focus on here going on and on about replacing players who don’t need replaced. Varane has plenty gas left. Now a no4/5 CH if Harry see sense is a different matter but until he goes we’re set at CH.
Because we don’t want to be firefighting if/when Varane leaves in a year or two, we want his replacement to be at the club already and bedded in, and ready to take his place. What’s wrong with planning ahead?

Baxquux

No he shouldn't.
Hardly unequivocal either way - Antony's been pretty bad in most aspects of his game. Obviously there are certain things he does OK, otherwise even his previous working relationship with ETH wouldn't keep him in the team, but I'm not sold on either of them as first choice RFWs. Pellistri also played quite well when he came on against Forest - at least if I remember correctly - last season...