Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Prodigy24

We've been waiting for FFP to hit clubs like City and Chelsea for years and yet we are the ones having the problems instead. Unbelievable. Embarrassing trying to loan players left and right.

Red Rash

Can’t find the original tweet/article though @mazhar13
I'm struggling to think of any good options we could get on loan. Also our forward options haven't changed since we got Hojlund. Why weren't we chasing a second striker than rather than waiting to the final days of the window?

Paul778

We've been waiting for FFP to hit clubs like City and Chelsea for years and yet we are the ones having the problems instead. Unbelievable. Embarrassing trying to loan players left and right.
We buy, overpay the club, overpay the player, sell at a massive loss. Who else does this?

Levi1

So we splunk an ungodly sum of money on a player we don't need and then have to resort to bargain basement loans for a position that we're light in. Hmm sounds about right. (Same as last year when we wasted 90m on Antony before finding the cheapest possible striker).

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
We’re a joke. Glazers and senior management have ruined us, but we’ll be back. It’ll get worse before it gets better. We’re in for a long season.

pascell

What a mess of a transfer window, utterly embarrassing.

Still cannot believe Bailly, Martial and van de Bench have not been shipped off permanently, I don't think we can get more incompetent if we tried. Can't wait to see what positive spin the club try to put on it.

GBBQ

He didn't have the money
He had loads of money and he could have had even more if he had sold Maguire and McT. The chunk he had was badly spent. Even if Mount comes good it just wasn’t a priority position to invest in when we’re light in other areas.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He had loads of money and he could have had even more if he had sold Maguire and McT. The chunk he had was badly spent. Even if Mount comes good it just wasn’t a priority position to invest in when we’re light in other areas.
Thing is, Ten hag clearly rates Mct to be a squad player and if you think about it, there aren't many clubs with midfielders available that can be certain improvements on him.

Maguire needed a settlement and refused to leave without asking for higher sums.

Murtough didn't buy him and put him on stupid wages, so I don't really put blame on him. He is operating the best he can after inheriting a lot of overpaid bloated players that need to be offloaded.

Speedicut75

What's he supposed to do? Magic up money?
Exactly, it's a consequence of what preceded him, with the incredible Mr Ed.
We are where we are I'm afraid in this window, and spend restrictions will ease in future years. Or maybe we could ignore regs and do a Chelsea who will breach FFP in 2 year's time and hope they get off with a fine and escape a points reduction ........... I'm sure Todd Boehly will have factored that into his near 1bn budget spend: I mean, what's a trifling 60m fine, when you're spaffing billions around.

Dazzmondo

Well he could have not spent the vast majority of it on a player whose best position is not an area we're weak in that had 1 year left on his contract for £60m; another £70m+ on a young striker that, while talented, has never scored more than 10 goals in a season, was injured and going to miss at least our first 3 matches when we had no other fit striker; and spending £50m on a goalkeeper when we had one willing to take a wage cut is also looking questionable when considering just how little money we had to spend (not criticising Onana, who I feel will be good for us, just the planning around it).

Also, spending double the fee he should have on Antony last season while also deciding to multiply his wage 10X, putting us on the borderline of breaching FFP and limiting our ability to buy players we need in the future, probably wasn't the wisest decision.

cj_sparky

What is John "Nutmegger of Figo" O'Shea up to? Could he cover LB, CB and CM for a spell...

pascell

Can't believe you're absolving the guy of blame, he literally handles all our transfer negotiations ffs.

Would he have to 'magic up' more money if he spanked a boat load of Qatari up the wall and we still find ourselves languishing 20 points behind City, or would you actually sit up and take notice that the guy is completely out of his depth and should have never been hired?

Cathy Ferguson

Well he could have not spent the vast majority of it on a player whose best position is not an area we're weak in that had 1 year left on his contract for £60m; another £70m+ on a young striker that, while talented, has never scored more than 10 goals in a season, was injured and going to miss at least our first 3 matches when we had no other fit striker; and spending £50m on a goalkeeper when we had one willing to take a wage cut is also looking questionable when considering just how little money we had to spend (not criticising Onana, who I feel will be good for us, just the planning around it).

Also, spending double the fee he should have on Antony last season while also deciding to multiply his wage 10X, putting us on the borderline of breaching FFP and limiting our ability to buy players we need in the future, probably wasn't the wisest decision.
Good summary. This transfer window is the worst since selling Ronaldo. 2/10

GBBQ

Thing is, Ten hag clearly rates Mct to be a squad player and if you think about it, there aren't many clubs with midfielders available that can be certain improvements on him.

Maguire needed a settlement and refused to leave without asking for higher sums.

Murtough didn't buy him and put him on stupid wages, so I don't really put blame on him. He is operating the best he can after inheriting a lot of overpaid bloated players that need to be offloaded.
He’s inherited a shit show no doubt but you move on from that by investing wisely window after window. You see your budget and buy accordingly. You don’t waste it on Mount and then go try sign a midfielder on loan for £2 million two days before the transfer window ends. That’s bad planning and that’s down to him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s inherited a shit show no doubt but you move on from that by investing wisely window after window. You see your budget and buy accordingly. You don’t waste it on Mount and then go try sign a midfielder on loan for £2 million two days before the transfer window ends. That’s bad planning and that’s down to him.
Here we go with the bollocks about wasting money on mount. Mount was a key target, first choice in midfield. Wanted by Liverpool and Arsenal let alone us. He was not a waste, he's barely been here a minute fecksake.

James35

What a mess of a transfer window, utterly embarrassing.

Still cannot believe Bailly, Martial and van de Bench have not been shipped off permanently, I don't think we can get more incompetent if we tried. Can't wait to see what positive spin the club try to put on it.
I’m looking forward to the usual suspects in here that provide the positive spin year in year out.

NLunited

Yeah if that's what you took from that. I mean a more basic game plan will work. International tournaments are fun but they're not the pinnacle of the game.
Yeah I agree with that. But it is still very competitive, and many teams are set up well (not England).

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I never thought id see the day Manchester United are having to act in the market like i used to in FM, after i had drained the transfer budget and toggled the wage budget to its absolute max, and was offering 750k upfront with clauses coming out my ears over 5 years, just to sign a back up player.