Transgender Athletes

Carolina Red

Staff
There's a guy in here wondering why it might be transphobic to say a trans woman is a man who wants to become a woman.
Don’t try that shit. You are calling people who have a legitimate disagreement with you on scientific grounds transphobic because you don’t like what they’re saying. It’s simple as.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Don’t try that shit. You are calling people who have a legitimate disagreement with you on scientific grounds transphobic because you don’t like what they’re saying. It’s simple as.
Carolina Red. I know what you're about too. No surprise here.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Why don't you take the piss out of my stroke again.
I have no idea what your stroke is like dear boy. Mine were Freestyle and Butterfly. Useless in Breaststroke due to a screw kick.

Shamwow

I have no idea what your stroke is like dear boy. Mine were Freestyle and Butterfly. Useless in Breaststroke due to a screw kick.
Again I dearly hope you never have one because you wouldn't be taking the piss if you did.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Leave it out mate. He once had a stroke.
Strokes are horrific- I've seen firsthand the devastating impact they can have and am sorry to hear that @Shamwow had to go through that, particularly at a young age.
I don't understand his belligerent dismissal of cis women's rights or what they want though. He's a bloke talking about equality while disregarding half the human race.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Again I dearly hope you never have one because you wouldn't be taking the piss if you did.
As I said, we all have problems, I don't particularly want to be a sad sack by listing mine.

arnie_ni

It's curious what some people get wound up at though, and what they don't get wound up at.
Everyone is getting wound up at you calling them bigots.

Your attacking their character, what do you expect

Carolina Red

Staff
Carolina Red. I know what you're about too. No surprise here.
Yeah. I’m about maintaining fairness in sport.

I don’t give one good god damn what sexuality you are, what gender you live life as, etc. But fairness in sports should be maintained, especially for women’s sports.

Shamwow

As I said, we all have problems, I don't particularly want to be a sad sack by listing mine.
And I wouldn't mock you for them or standby while someone else does. That's the difference between us.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Pretty sure the majority of trans people. The vast majority in fact. Would realise the sensible choice is obviously for trans athletes to participate in their birth gender sports.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Strokes are horrific- I've seen firsthand the devastating impact they can have and am sorry to hear that @Shamwow had to go through that, particularly at a young age.
I don't understand his belligerent dismissal of cis women's rights or what they want though. He's a bloke talking about equality while disregarding half the human race.
How would he react if somebody called him a misogynist?

Shamwow

Everyone is getting wound up at you calling them bigots.

Your attacking their character, what do you expect
For them to challenge me on that? And not use my medical history as piss take material? I know one is easier and doesn't require actual introspection but I'd prefer the other.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
And I wouldn't mock you for them or standby while someone else does. That's the difference between us.
I don't feel I've set out to mock you but this all goes back to your comment about children needing to learn a lesson by coming second. I challenged you on that and then you said you'd had a stroke so never got the chance to find out. Do we all need to bring up our backgrounds to justify not knowing what we are talking about or does an opinion backed with evidence and knowledge do the trick most of the time?

Shamwow

I'm sharing all this with my partner, who is a woman so I'm not exactly disregarding women entirely here. But I know that is the standard retort.

Shamwow

I don't feel I've set out to mock you but this all goes back to your comment about children needing to learn a lesson by coming second. I challenged you on that and then you said you'd had a stroke so never got the chance to find out. Do we all need to bring up our backgrounds to justify not knowing what we are talking about or does an opinion backed with evidence and knowledge do the trick most of the time?
I mean you were asking my about my background so why would you expect me to not bring it up?

ChaddyP

For them to challenge me on that? And not use my medical history as piss take material? I know one is easier and doesn't require actual introspection but I'd prefer the other.
For what it's worth i think the wanking comment was out of line. I also feel you were trying to guilt trip the posters by mentioning your unfortunate incident at such a age. Please note thats only how i felt at the first instance of reading it, it however didnt warrant the blind comment. Didnt think that was right. My Grandmother has had a stroke right in front of me, wouldnt wish that on anyone or make fun of it.

Shamwow

For what it's worth i think the wanking comment was out of line. I also feel you were trying to guilt trip the posters by mentioning your unfortunate incident at such a age. Please note thats only how i felt at the first instance of reading it, it however didnt warrant the blind comment. Didnt think that was right. My Grandmother has had a stroke right in front of me, wouldnt wish that on anyone or make fun of it.
I was responding to a post that was trying to guilt trip me. I just did a better job because my story wasn't one of privelige.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I mean you were asking my about my background so why would you expect me to not bring it up?
I didn't ask you for your background health issues, I responded to this post below...

Again, I could turn that around on you and ask is the opposite situation not even more harsh. Those kids sound pretty lucky in the first place to be honest. Coming second might do them some good.
....with this

I suppose you are going to surprise me and tell me that you gave up virtually all of your free time as a child, teenager and young adult to train for a competitive sport.

And btw, kids aren't lucky if they have caring parents trying to help them reach their potentials, that's the way it is supposed to be.

Shamwow

I didn't ask you for your background health issues, I responded to this post below...

....with this

And btw, kids aren't lucky if they have caring parents trying to help them reach their potentials, that's the way it is supposed to be.
Sorry for giving context to your question.

Kids are lucky if they get life the way it is supposed to be. That is an unfortunate fact.

ChaddyP

....with this

where i am from this is definitely luck, its also how its supposed be yet not the case in most homes.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm sharing all this with my partner, who is a woman so I'm not exactly disregarding women entirely here. But I know that is the standard retort.
I have a trans person in my extended family so I'm not totally ignorant of the kind of challenges she's faced.

I just think you'r sacrificing fairness for half the population for inclusion for a small minority. You can have genuine pushback on that without it being down to bigotry. Neither route is fair but favouring women born male over cis women in a world full of female oppression feels the least fair option.

Shamwow

I have a trans person in my extended family so I'm not totally ignorant of the kind of challenges she's faced.

I just think you'r sacrificing fairness for half the population for inclusion for a small minority. You can have genuine pushback on that without it being down to bigotry. Neither route is fair but favouring women born male over cis women in a world full of female oppression feels the least fair option.
I didn't realise 100% of biological women compete in sport. I always thought elite athletes were a tiny minority of people. Correct me if I'm wrong.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sorry for giving context to your question.

Kids are lucky if they get life the way it is supposed to be. That is an unfortunate fact.
Your choice. I suppose I should avoid asking you any questions in future just to make sure I don't receive totally irrelevant context. We all have problems.

I asked you with specific reference to sports what your knowledge was, not a health reference.

I didn't call you a wanker and no, kids aren't lucky to have caring parents, when you have children, caring for them is what parents set out to do. ffs.

Shamwow

Not everyone who disagrees on the sport issue is transphobic and it is complex which was the point of my original post to Alex who seemed to have broken it down to just compete in your biological category. But there is definitely some transphobia being exhibited in this thread and you'd have to be blind not to see it.

Shamwow

Your choice. I suppose I should avoid asking you any questions in future just to make sure I don't receive totally irrelevant context. We all have problems.

I asked you with specific reference to sports what your knowledge was, not a health reference.

I didn't call you a wanker and no, kids aren't lucky to have caring parents, when you have children, caring for them is what parents set out to do. ffs.
Why does irrelevant context upset you so much?

Why are you getting upset at the suggestion that many children don't get the childhood they deserve? It's true.