g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transgender Athletes

arnie_ni

I think this supposed risk of the floodgates opening up and trans women suddenly dominating women’s sports is just fear mongering rooted (at least partly) in transphobia. There is absolutely no evidence at all to suggest this is likely to happen with now over 17 years of history to go by.

At the end of the day though if trans women are good enough to compete in women’s events, and adhere to the relevant rules, then they should be allowed to participate. We can’t, as a society, say that trans women are women but then specify when that applies and when it doesn’t. That isn’t inclusivity.
That first paragraph is pretty bollocks, especially in relation to this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the real world though, but definitely not in this thread on this subject.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Transgender women being excluded from participating in certain aspects of society is a real problem happening right now in the real world.

Transgender women dominating olympic sports is not happening.

Why should we contribute more to the first because we are afraid the second might happen?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Transgender women being excluded from participating in certain aspects of society is a real problem happening right now in the real world.

Transgender women dominating olympic sports is not happening.

Why should we contribute more to the first because we are afraid the second might happen?
I don't think anyone here wants transwomen excluded from Olympic sports, they just want them competing based on their biological sex, not their gender identity.

Men and women compete separately in sports because of the inherent advantages biological males have over biological females.

As a genuine question now, what aspects of society do you believe transwomen are excluded from (particularly in countries like the UK)?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I don't think anyone here wants transwomen excluded from Olympic sports, they just want them competing based on their biological sex, not their gender identity.

Men and women compete separately in sports because of the inherent advantages biological males have over biological females.

As a genuine question now, what aspects of society do you believe transwomen are excluded from (particularly in countries like the UK)?
But that means that you would have to allow *fully transitioned trans men to compete in women's sport. Assuming they'd even want to which I doubt in general.

EDIT just to make the post more clear

Last edited:

Shamwow

Oh yeah I forgot that trans men don't exist, silly me.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
But that means that you would have to allow *fully transitioned trans men to compete in women's sport. Assuming they'd even want to which I doubt in general.

EDIT just to make the post more clear
It'd break doping rules, which you well know.

There is no perfect answer to this, which people have pointed out on multiple times through the thread.

Trans women have become more central to the debate here as Hubbard was the first trans competitor announced for this olympics, but as you've now highlighted, there are addtional (I'd argue separate) considerations where trans men are concerned.

The foundation of all sports is fairness. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be (for now at least) a way to universally include trans people in the existing sex-based categories, and there is an apparent shortage of competitors to allow for trans categories.

Given the discomfort, some may even say trauma, that trans people feel in the time before their transition, I'd say ruling yourself out of elite level sports so you can live your life as the person you are is a small price to pay.

Shamwow

It'd break doping rules, which you well know.

There is no perfect answer to this, which people have pointed out on multiple times through the thread.

Trans women have become more central to the debate here as Hubbard was the first trans competitor announced for this olympics, but as you've now highlighted, there are addtional (I'd argue separate) considerations where trans men are concerned.

The foundation of all sports is fairness. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be (for now at least) a way to universally include trans people in the existing sex-based categories, and there is an apparent shortage of competitors to allow for trans categories.

Given the discomfort, some may even say trauma, that trans people feel in the time before their transition, I'd say ruling yourself out of elite level sports so you can live your life as the person you are is a small price to pay.
It's not really up to you to say. Surely coming second to a trans women is a small price to pay for equality and inclusiveness? What are our priorities in having sport in the first place?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's not really up to you to say. Surely coming second to a trans women is a small price to pay for equality and inclusiveness? What are our priorities in having sport in the first place?
Are biological female athletes willing to pay it?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Sport, especially elite level sport, is not built on equality and inclusivity, it is built on fairness.

Our priorities in sports are to allow people to compete on a level playing field. What you're arguing for is not that.

For someone that came in here sarcastically giving it "I forgot trans men don't exist", you're awfully dismissive of cis women, and there's a very noteable lack of acknowledgement that it will be them, and not cis men (or any biological male) that are the ones missing out through this supposed inclusivity.

Shamwow

Are biological female athletes willing to pay it?
Well asking someone to come potentially come second in a sport to someone who has a biological advantage (which of course never happens in sport otherwise) seems less of a price to pay than telling someone they can't compete.

Carolina Red

Staff
Female sports were literally created to be exclude a whole half of the human population. For fairness.

Shamwow

Sport, especially elite level sport, is not built on equality and inclusivity, it is built on fairness.

Our priorities in sports are to allow people to compete on a level playing field. What you're arguing for is not that.

For someone that came in here sarcastically giving it "I forgot trans men don't exist", you're awfully dismissive of cis women, and there's a very noteable lack of acknowledgement that it will be them, and not cis men (or any biological male) that are the ones missing out through this supposed inclusivity.
How would a trans woman aka a biological male in your terms not be missing out even more in the opposite case?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Have you ever trained to compete at anything? It doesn't seem like a small price to pay if someone has dedicated their lives to excel at something only to be beaten by someone who biologically shouldn't be competing against them. Maybe you should go tell this to them and their families. Families who dedicate their lives ensuring that their children make training on time. Use their life savings to ensure their children get the best coaching. Drive them to numerous events for qualifications etc. Maybe you should tell those parents and their children it's a small price to pay because someone behind a keyboard thinks it is.

Shamwow

Have you ever trained to compete at anything? It doesn't seem like a small price to pay if someone has dedicated their lives to excel at something only to be beaten by someone who biologically shouldn't be competing against them. Maybe you should go tell this to them and their families. Families who dedicate their lives ensuring that their children make training on time. Use their life savings to ensure their children get the best coaching. Drive them to numerous events for qualifications etc. Maybe you should tell those parents and their children it's a small price to pay because someone behind a keyword thinks it is.
Again, I could turn that around on you and ask is the opposite situation not even more harsh. Those kids sound pretty lucky in the first place to be honest. Coming second might do them some good.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Well asking someone to come potentially come second in a sport to someone who has a biological advantage (which of course never happens in sport otherwise) seems less of a price to pay than telling someone they can't compete.
There's a biological advantage of maybe being a bit taller than your peers in basketball, and then there's a biological advantage that you've literally only got because you belong in a different biological category altogether, and it's frankly ridiculous and incredibly disingenuous for you to argue as if they're remotely comparable.

And as you've seemingly forgotten about trans men, despite your indignation earlier, it's also not fair for some competitors in a category to be allowed hormone therapy that provides massive performance benefits, while others are not.

How would a trans woman aka a biological male in your terms not be missing out even more in the opposite case?
It's almost like there isn't a scenario in which someone doesn't miss out.

Why are you so insistent that is cis women that have to miss out, despite the category they compete in literally existing because they are unable to compete with biological males?

Sport is based on fairness (a tenet you repeatedly ignore) and elite level sports is a career. You are quite literally asking for women to accept damage to their careers so that people who have made a personal choice to transition can feel included.

Shamwow

There's a biological advantage of maybe being a bit taller than your peers in basketball, and then there's a biological advantage that you've literally only got because you belong in a different biological category altogether, and it's frankly ridiculous and incredibly disingenuous for you to argue as if they're remotely comparable.

And as you've seemingly forgotten about trans men, despite your indignation earlier, it's also not fair for some competitors in a category to be allowed hormone therapy that provides massive performance benefits, while others are not.

It's almost like there isn't a scenario in which someone doesn't miss out.

Why are you so insistent that is cis women that have to miss out, despite the category they compete in literally existing because they are unable to compete with biological males?

Sport is based on fairness (a tenet you repeatedly ignore) and elite level sports is a career. You are quite literally asking for women to accept damage to their careers so that people who have made a personal choice to transition can feel included.
Because they are missing out on something immaterial and inconsequential. Not being allowed to participate at all is way fecking worse to your career. Get it?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I reckon that’s exactly what will be on the silver medalists mind as the awards are doled out.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Again, I could turn that around on you and ask is the opposite situation not even more harsh. Those kids sound pretty lucky in the first place to be honest. Coming second might do them some good.
I suppose you are going to surprise me and tell me that you gave up virtually all of your free time as a child, teenager and young adult to train for a competitive sport.

Shamwow

I suppose you are going to surprise me and tell me that you gave up virtually all of your free time as a child, teenager and young adult to train for a competitive sport.
I was too busy having a stroke so sorry I can't empathise with elite athletes who have to make do with potentially coming second unfairly.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Because they are missing out on something immaterial and inconsequential. Not being allowed to participate at all is way fecking worse to your career. Get it?
It's not immaterial and inconsequential though, is it? Laurel Hubbard, someone who had a long career as a competitive weightlifter as a male, but was not good enough to compete at an elite level, has quite literally taken a spot at the Olympics that would have otherwise gone to 21 year old at the beginning of her professional career. Who knows what the knock-on effects of that will be given the lack of global exposure.

Sports categories are sex-based for fairness, you should not be able to opt into the other category because you have a better chance of a career in it. It is morally bankrupt to do so.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I was too busy having a stroke so sorry I can't empathise with elite athletes who have to make do with potentially coming second unfairly.
So you have no idea what you are talking about when you suggest that you know what might make some young athletes learn something. Pardon my lack of empathy in my first sentence, but it's a shame you didn't get the opportunity to find out.

Shamwow

It's not immaterial and inconsequential though, is it? Laurel Hubbard, someone who had a long career as a competitive weightlifter as a male, but was not good enough to compete at an elite level, has quite literally taken a spot at the Olympics that would have otherwise gone to 21 year old at the beginning of her professional career. Who knows what the knock-on effects of that will be given the lack of global exposure.

Sports categories are sex-based for fairness, you should not be able to opt into the other category because you have a better chance of a career in it. It is morally bankrupt to do so.
I think excluding people is pretty morally bankrupt to be honest.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Lucky ? You can't possibly be serious. There's no luck in competitive sports. It's hard work and dedication.

Shamwow

So you have no idea what you are talking about when you suggest that you know what might make some young athletes learn something. Pardon my lack of empathy in my first sentence, but it's a shame you didn't get the opportunity to find out.
I said that because the situation described was of someone getting strongly supported by a family who is financially able to do so and who is physically able to do so, getting to do what they want with all of that support. Most people don't get privilege in the first place.

Shamwow

Lucky ? You can't possibly be serious. There's no luck in competitive sports. It's hard work and dedication.
You're lucky to be living that life and getting that start in the first place. The level of unrecognised privelige being exhibited here is insane.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I said that because the situation described was of someone getting strongly supported by a family who is financially able to do so and who is physically able to do so, getting to do what they want with all of that support. Most people don't get privilege in the first place.
Excuse me not wasting anymore time on you, you have no idea what you are talking about. It's like Spot the Troll in this topic.

Shamwow

Excuse me not wasting anymore time on you, you have no idea what you are talking about. It's like Spot the Troll in this topic.
You are excused, you can take your lack of empathy with you.

Shamwow

So we just include everyone then? That's the logical conclusion to this line of argument.

Oh, there we are.
First of all, sorry that I got wound up at someone who consistently has predictable opinions in threads like this making a glib comment about the single worst thing that happened in my life and that dearly I hope happens to none of you lucky lot.

Secondly, yes that is what I would like us to work towards.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You are excused, you can take your lack of empathy with you.
Aye, lack of empathy. Like all the empathy for cis women you've displayed thus far with their "immaterial and inconsequential" careers in sport.

Shamwow

Then you have clearly given this very little thought.
And you seem to want to stop thinking as you've worked it all out. All we have to do is exclude certain people from competitive sport and all problems are solved. Well done.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
First of all, sorry that I got wound up at someone who consistently has predictable opinions in threads like this making a glib comment about the single worst thing that happened in my life and that dearly I hope happens to none of you lucky lot.

Secondly, yes that is what I would like us to work towards.
You have no clue and think being clueless gives you the right to be offensive as well as using whatever event in your earlier life gives you the self righteous superior mugging off attitude.

Shamwow

Aye, lack of empathy. Like all the empathy for cis women you've displayed thus far with their "immaterial and inconsequential" careers in sport.
Winning a game of sport is immaterial and inconsequential in the great scheme of things.
You have no clue and think being clueless gives you the right to be offensive as well as using whatever event in your earlier life gives you the self righteous superior mugging off attitude.
He literally compared me having an actual stroke to me having a wank too often. And you think I'm the offensive one.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Winning a game of sport is immaterial and inconsequential in the great scheme of things.

He literally compared me having an actual stroke to me having a wank too often. And you think I'm the offensive one.
Hardly the slight of the century. Imagine how you’d react if you dedicated your life to something just to be cheated out of it by someone else.

Conor

I'm pretty sure everyone in here has suggested allowing trans competitors to compete in a different division, nobody has said they should not be allowed compete full stop. Maybe initially the divisions would be very small, but in time, given the possibility to compete in the olympics, they would grow and create interest in sport for potential trans athletes.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
He literally compared me having an actual stroke to me having a wank. And you think I'm the offensive one.
But is he the one using that early life health event as an excuse for not knowing what you are talking about while holding forth on other children's lives?

I'm not making any excuses for Vim.